Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 HeroQuest is back!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diffan Posted - 24 Sep 2020 : 13:19:54
So my friend let me know that they [Hasbro] were creating a Kickstarter for possibly re-releasing the old RPG-Board Game HeroQuest! Now I'm super excited because this game is just so much fun and easy to get into. I was lucky to find a used copy 90% completed on eBay for $85 (an amazing steal!) and now it's getting a new facelift.

Here's the link to the Kickstarter Hero Quest

So with the kickstarter, you have two options: Heroic Tier ($99) and Mythic Tier ($149). They both offer exclusives that you wouldn't get at the retail store (I think a few additional characters, plus female/male counterparts for the Heroes - which I think is a great touch!) plus the Mythic tier adds two expansions and I think two new heroes (Warlock being one, I believe).

They were shooting for a million for the Kickstarter and hit that number (1.2mil currently) in less than 24-hours. This is definitely a game I'd suggest to pick up if you can or try to get in on the Kickstarter, its just so much fun.

One disappointing note, which I'm seeing a lot of anger about, is that it's not being shipped outside the USA or Canada. Which, from what I'm reading, is kind of a slap in the face since HQ was owned/controlled by Games Workshop, a UK run company. So I understand that frustration. Hopefully when the game is fully ready for retail, it'll go out to other countries.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diffan Posted - 13 Nov 2021 : 22:34:18
Well, my order JUST came in this week and....honestly I'm 1000% satisfied with everything. My wife got me the Mythic Tier set (came with extra characters and some additional box set adventures) and it's just great quality overall.

For those who remember the old game, the Box came sort of half-hazardous and things would easily break (swords on monsters, bases, etc) but the Miniatures and furniture quality is just really really good. They all have their own inserts so it's easy to keep them separated and protected to lessen the chance of the items breaking.

It came with the original adventure book (though I don't know if it's the same as I didn't compare that with the original) which has 14 different quests inside. It also came with 3 MORE Quest Books in the main box plus two additional boxed sets.

The Characters are pretty great looking. Of course it came with the 4 original characters (male barbarian, male dwarf, female elf, human wizard) and it also included a female version of the barbarian, dwarf, wizard, and male Elf. It also came with 3 new classes: Bard (orc, lol), Druid, and Warlock with their own spells. Of course I also included my own Character - The Paladin - too.

So we got the chance to play last night because our D&D plans fell through. I set up the board and my wife agreed to play Zargon, the Game Master so I could play. We had a BLAST! My father-in-law played the Orc Bard (he's into theater and just did a great job), my buddy played the Barbarian, my two daughers played the Wizard and Elf and I played the Paladin. We made it through the first Quest and killed the evil Gargoyle and got some decent loot too. The consensus from my Father-in-Law was that its a lot of fun and I think he might like it more than D&D because there's not a TON of stuff to track and think about (it's simpler) and my two daughters had fun as well. The 6 year old played the Wizard with my friends help and I was really surprised she did so well.

Looking forward to Quest #2.
cpthero2 Posted - 22 Nov 2020 : 22:49:37
Great Reader sleyvas,

Yeah, if you don't have Cataan.... I mean, are you really a gamer? ;) haha Kidding, in case there is a hate train rolling into station soon...

Yeah, I've got a huge boardgame library of which many are great for kids. If you have some older kids, I love Lords of Waterdeep. Great game, especially with the expansions.

Best regards,

sleyvas Posted - 22 Nov 2020 : 14:00:38
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader sleyvas,

quote:
So, when this game came out, I was in my twenties I think. I was more concerned with D&D than a board game.

Ah, so you're a few years older than me then. I was a sophmore at that time in high school. I remember the game coming out, but I couldn't afford it, so I never played it until around 2000 or so.

quote:
As I'm aging and have kids in the house, the value of a relatively quick board game reveals itself.

Oh man, I get you there. Battle Sheep, Power Grid, Khet, many Steve Jackson Games, are fantastic games for quick pick-ups. I've got a horde of children myself! ;)

quote:
So, with that in mind, I know nothing about the gameplay of heroquest, but I've "heard" about it repeatedly just from marketing. I've not a single clue of gameplay. How long does a typical game last? How hard would it be to involve say 10-15 year old kids? Very important, do you think girls will like it? I ask because games like risk I really enjoy, but I can't get the family to play anything that long (its not a problem to get roleplayers to play something that takes 6 to 10 hours, but getting roleplayers together is more problematic than "hey, its Sunday, let's do something as a family").

I think getting other games beyond Heroquest to start with are better, such as the ones I listed above.

Best regards,

Yeah, I have a few gotos. There's the harry potter game, which I love, Hogwart's Battle (there's a one on one version which is ok, but I prefer the group play where you're working together... great fun). Raiders from the North Sea is another that tends to do well amongst us. Cataan.

I'll have to look into the ones you mentioned, because I have never heard of any of them.
cpthero2 Posted - 22 Nov 2020 : 07:57:15
Great Reader sleyvas,

quote:
So, when this game came out, I was in my twenties I think. I was more concerned with D&D than a board game.

Ah, so you're a few years older than me then. I was a sophmore at that time in high school. I remember the game coming out, but I couldn't afford it, so I never played it until around 2000 or so.

quote:
As I'm aging and have kids in the house, the value of a relatively quick board game reveals itself.

Oh man, I get you there. Battle Sheep, Power Grid, Khet, many Steve Jackson Games, are fantastic games for quick pick-ups. I've got a horde of children myself! ;)

quote:
So, with that in mind, I know nothing about the gameplay of heroquest, but I've "heard" about it repeatedly just from marketing. I've not a single clue of gameplay. How long does a typical game last? How hard would it be to involve say 10-15 year old kids? Very important, do you think girls will like it? I ask because games like risk I really enjoy, but I can't get the family to play anything that long (its not a problem to get roleplayers to play something that takes 6 to 10 hours, but getting roleplayers together is more problematic than "hey, its Sunday, let's do something as a family").

I think getting other games beyond Heroquest to start with are better, such as the ones I listed above.

Best regards,

sleyvas Posted - 22 Nov 2020 : 00:46:41
So, when this game came out, I was in my twenties I think. I was more concerned with D&D than a board game. As I'm aging and have kids in the house, the value of a relatively quick board game reveals itself. So, with that in mind, I know nothing about the gameplay of heroquest, but I've "heard" about it repeatedly just from marketing. I've not a single clue of gameplay. How long does a typical game last? How hard would it be to involve say 10-15 year old kids? Very important, do you think girls will like it? I ask because games like risk I really enjoy, but I can't get the family to play anything that long (its not a problem to get roleplayers to play something that takes 6 to 10 hours, but getting roleplayers together is more problematic than "hey, its Sunday, let's do something as a family").
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Nov 2020 : 23:25:22
Great Reader Darden,

quote:
...is much akin to the Pie Maker going to someone's grandmother's house and taking her pies and then forcing her grandchildren to pay for them.

I can certainly empathize with that outlook. I can say having done a great deal of marketing consultation over the years, using such a tool does exactly what has been discussed here, which is trying out product ideas. It is no small risk as well for the company, as they can immediately lose their first mover advantage if they don't move quick enough (assuming they are working on something that isn't already protected by IP). As to the money issue, fandom is ripe for the pickin's on this kind of stuff (I mean, fandom being derived from fanaticus as I understand it). It's the same reason we see record investment from fandom into Star Citizen, for example. I have friends with closets full of stuff from kickstarter, they'll likely never use, due to their passion for their version of fandom.

I do get your point though. There is no shortage of taking advantage of it either, from the corporations. They know their consumer behavior markers well.

Best regards,

Kentinal Posted - 05 Nov 2020 : 01:40:00
Well the idea of Kickstarter was to aid new ideas/products as I understand it.

Also a way to raise funding for the concept.

The Idea that a corporation would take advantage of this system appears abusive, they should not need funding. Unless they are "having problems with the printers".

However it also appears no rule against it and for FR to continue the company needs to profit. the Kickstarter allows the company to better control costs.
Dalor Darden Posted - 05 Nov 2020 : 01:24:04
<grumbles>

Good points...but still...I'm tired of the big sharks always cutting in on the chances of the little guy so dang often.
Ayrik Posted - 05 Nov 2020 : 00:09:30
If consumers vote with their wallets then crowdfunding is the ultimate tool for filtering project budgets into low-risk high-profit ventures.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Nov 2020 : 23:54:28
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Why in the hells does a major corporation need to run a Kickstarter?

THAT is what makes me angry. People have so much money to invest in things...and major corporations biting into what I think should be for small individuals trying to do something is much akin to the Pie Maker going to someone's grandmother's house and taking her pies and then forcing her grandchildren to pay for them.

I can see some value in doing it. By going the Kickstarter route, it allows them to test the waters and see if something would be viable for a larger production run. And even if not, if the Kickstarter succeeds, they still make some money and get people what they want, without having to worry about overstock or anything like that.

I'm not saying your perspective is invalid; I'm just saying I can see why a company would do it.
Dalor Darden Posted - 04 Nov 2020 : 23:29:24
Why in the hells does a major corporation need to run a Kickstarter?

THAT is what makes me angry. People have so much money to invest in things...and major corporations biting into what I think should be for small individuals trying to do something is much akin to the Pie Maker going to someone's grandmother's house and taking her pies and then forcing her grandchildren to pay for them.
ElfBane Posted - 04 Nov 2020 : 23:03:41
Any plans for re-doing the video game?
Gelcur Posted - 04 Nov 2020 : 22:55:18
I came to let people know of the existence of this product as well. This was my first experience with roleplaying / adventuring and I still have fond memories. The mythic tier seems like the best deal all said and done taxes and shipping you are looking at almost $200. But you'll also get all the unlocked items as well as two expansions.

The deciding factor for me is they changed their mind and are using color coded minis like the original vs all grey like they originally posed.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000