Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Bringing back Telemont Tanthul

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 11 Mar 2020 : 21:16:37
I have this idea of bringing back Telemont Tanthul from his death.

Lesser beings have come back to life in full health, so why not I suppose.

Remember that book "The Shadow Stone" with Aeron Morieth discovering the shadow stone, using its power and becoming a Shadow-Adept, using Shars Shadow-Weave, but not succumbing to Shar herself?

Okay, so Telemont was reduced to a obsidian shard of black glass with his death by Larloch and Elminster. After Shade Enclave crashed into re-born Myth Drannor, the shard was buried under millions of tons of rubble and debri.

It was eventually discovered by elves of Myth Drannor that were magically rebuilding the ancient city. Aeron Morieth finally left his homeland far to the south and journeyed across Faerun. He eventually ended up in Cormanthyr and with the help of the elven Coronal, was given permission to utterly destroy the shadow-shard.

Unfortunately, as soon as the shard was uncovered, Larloch the Lich Lord felt the power of its call and came looking for the last remaining part of Telemont Tanthul, to bring him back from the dead as a Vampire Lord under his service, as a thrall in his undead kingdom.

To avoid another titanic spell battle in Myth Drannor, the Coronal, with guidance from The Shrinshee agreed to send the shadow-stone with Aeron Morieth and Araevin Teshurr to Karse and utterly destroy the shadow-shard using the immense corrupted power of The Karse-Stone.

The Shrinshee also recommended that they go to Everlund or Silverymoon and seek out Curudin Ahmaquissar and his guild of rogues to guide and guard them. For a hefty price they hired Curudin and seven of his elite lieutenants, totaling a party of ten elves.

Aeron "The Stormwalker" Morieth: N Gold Half-elf male of The Maerchwood. CR 20; Wizard 10/ Shadow Adept 10.

Araevin Teshurr: CG Celestial Gold elf male of Evermeet. CR 40; Wizard 20/ Olin Gisir 10/ Loremaster 10.

Galaeron Nihmedu: CN Moon elf male of Evereska. CR 30; Sorcerer 10/ Fighter 5/ Tomb Guardian 5/ Shadow-Adept 10.

Curudin Ahmaquissar: CN Trickster-Touched Moon elf male of Evermeet. CR 32; Rogue 5/ Cleric 5/ Mischiefmaker 10/ Shadowtrick Priest 10 of Erevan Ilesere. Co-founder and leader of the elven rogues guild. Chosen of Erevan Ilesere. Master of debauchery and hedonism in The Silver Marches. Master of The Midnight Gambol on Toril.

Laeirlefain Starleaf: CG Shadow-Walker Copper elf male of Evermeet. CR 26; Rogue 5/ Swashbuckler 10/ Shadowblade 10. Co-founder and Master of Melee in the Everlund guild.

Terrindill Shaelarra: CN Shadow-Walker Gold elf male of Evermeet. CR 26; Rogue 10/ Shadowdancer 10/ Shadow Lord 5 of Erevan Ilesere. Co-founder and Master of stealth in the Everlund guild.

Nym Nightsong: CG Shade Star elf male of Sildėyuir. CR 29; Rogue 5/ Sorcerer 10/ Shadowmage 10. Master of Arcane Arts in the Everlund guild.

Pheyloo Audark: CN Shadow-Walker Wild elf male of The Winterwood. CR 26; Rogue 5/ Assassin 10/ Quietknife 10. Spymaster in the Everlund guild. Grandmaster Assassin of The Silvermarches.

Whispertongue: CN Drow elf male of The Moonwood. CR 30; Bard 20/ Sublime Chord 10. Master of Song and Lore in the Everlund guild.

Trysiifith Oumryn: CN Gold elf male of Narbeth, (Shalhoond). CR 25; Rogue 5/ Cleric 5/ Fortune's Friend 5/ Sacred Fist 10 of Erevan Ilesere. Co-founder and Guildmaster of the Daggerford Rogues of the Laughing Midnight. Exiled King of The Great Wild Wood in the extreme edge of eastern Faerūn. "The Mongoose Prince" of Court Oumryn. Master of Fist, Foot, Elbow, Knee and Spell.

With the team being assembled, they venture forth into The Dire Wood to basically attack the undead, magic-corrupted monsters and destroy the shadow-stone of Telemont Tanthul using the Karse-stone to unravel its magic and soul.

Larloch was close on their heels and he could summon an army of powerful undead with a mere thought almost.

I'm looking for any help. Critique is welcomed. I've never run a adventure that had so many "Novel" characters involved as NPC's that join the group and need to be played by the DM (me).
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 25 Mar 2020 : 00:11:18
So I guess we do this as a Lich would and just destroy.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 19 Mar 2020 : 14:10:37
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I've already said that novel feats are divorced from the campaign. Ed statted her out as a wiz 29/archmage 9/sorcerer 16, and Larloch is a 46th level lich. Larloch has less HD but far more caster levels.

Anyway, they're both epic level casters, so it's basically rocket tag to see who beats the other's defenses.

Plus how many years ago did he stat them? Every year or so you should tag on a level or two because NPC's grow like PC's as well.
LordofBones Posted - 19 Mar 2020 : 11:04:34
I've already said that novel feats are divorced from the campaign. Ed statted her out as a wiz 29/archmage 9/sorcerer 16, and Larloch is a 46th level lich. Larloch has less HD but far more caster levels.

Anyway, they're both epic level casters, so it's basically rocket tag to see who beats the other's defenses.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 19 Mar 2020 : 05:29:13
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Larloch wouldn't give a hoot, the problem is Shar.

The other problem is that Larloch as he is meant to be is THE most powerful spellcaster in the Realms (The Srinshee is a worse spellcaster, Ed Greenwood has her as a Wiz 29/Sor 16/Archmage 9, compared to Larloch's 46th level spellcasting). As written, he steamrolls over your party with his 60+ liches, takes what he wants, and calls it a day. The only hurdle is that level 40 wizard. I'm actually relatively certain the level 40 dude, as a pure caster, carries the entire party anyway; everyone else is basically an afterthought.

LMAO... Larloch beats The Shrinshee?? LOL. I've read at least 3 books that canon describe The Shrinshee putting the fear into Larloch. "Silverfall" being one of those books.

He is undead and has his weakness is obvious.
Ayrik Posted - 15 Mar 2020 : 05:23:42
If Larloch-the-Lich or Elminster-the-Everything can't achieve the task with all their combined classes and levels and talents and abilities and artifacts and minions - not to mention their semi-divine powers as exalted Chosens/Exarchs - then it is simply an impossible task.

Perhaps because a deity denies granting access to the specific power needed, perhaps because another deity blocks the power, perhaps because Telamont's own twisted antumbral half-soul (or its fiendish new owner) actively opposes any attempts to disturb it.

My personal theory is that Telamont simply had no soul. He'd sacrificed it all to shadows for power, far beyond any other "living" shade, he was literally just a shadow of a shadow of life which finally dissipated into complete nonexistence upon his "death". Meaning that there's nothing left to resurrect, no soul, not even the shadow of one. An irrevocable oblivion which might have appeared instantaneous but was in fact only the final phase of a process initiated before Netheril's Fall and sustained by "pure" shadow across long millennia in the Shadowfel. Almost like a living illusion, though a malign one with inhuman willpower and unparalleled magical prowess, vulnerable to illumination instead of to disbelief.
LordofBones Posted - 15 Mar 2020 : 02:38:52
Larloch wouldn't give a hoot, the problem is Shar.

The other problem is that Larloch as he is meant to be is THE most powerful spellcaster in the Realms (The Srinshee is a worse spellcaster, Ed Greenwood has her as a Wiz 29/Sor 16/Archmage 9, compared to Larloch's 46th level spellcasting). As written, he steamrolls over your party with his 60+ liches, takes what he wants, and calls it a day. The only hurdle is that level 40 wizard. I'm actually relatively certain the level 40 dude, as a pure caster, carries the entire party anyway; everyone else is basically an afterthought.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 13 Mar 2020 : 21:45:01
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I still think elven perspective would view Shar-blessed soul-sucked shadowness as being an accursed and corrupted state functionally similar to the perversion of undeath/unlife. Some few deviant and amoral (evil) elves might want to harness Telemont but elves for the most part would desperately want to avoid tainting their precious immortal spirits by ever knowing or touching such murky foulness.

The typical elven response to nasty spirit-poisoned business like this is to bury it "forever" - even if it crashed right on top of their pointy ears - just like they did with the drow, the daemonfey, their own baelnorns, and countless elven artifacts from ancient times. They have learned that evil power attracts evil power, and if it cannot be destroyed then it must be lost to living memory (lost to the entire world if possible, but lost only to non-elves if that's the only possible solution). It just seems (to me) that elves would likely be motivated to oppose Telamont's rebirth or destroy/banish/contain him forever, they'd certainly never risk letting "lesser" races spread Telamont's shadows.

Exactly... and that's why the elves under the guidance of the Coronal and The Shrinshee have placed this burden on fellow elves to be rid of this power. The elves want this power destroyed. Larloch wants the power as a play toy.
Ayrik Posted - 13 Mar 2020 : 21:08:41
I still think elven perspective would view Shar-blessed soul-sucked shadowness as being an accursed and corrupted state functionally similar to the perversion of undeath/unlife. Some few deviant and amoral (evil) elves might want to harness Telemont but elves for the most part would desperately want to avoid tainting their precious immortal spirits by ever knowing or touching such murky foulness.

The typical elven response to nasty spirit-poisoned business like this is to bury it "forever" - even if it crashed right on top of their pointy ears - just like they did with the drow, the daemonfey, their own baelnorns, and countless elven artifacts from ancient times. They have learned that evil power attracts evil power, and if it cannot be destroyed then it must be lost to living memory (lost to the entire world if possible, but lost only to non-elves if that's the only possible solution). It just seems (to me) that elves would likely be motivated to oppose Telamont's rebirth or destroy/banish/contain him forever, they'd certainly never risk letting "lesser" races spread Telamont's shadows.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 13 Mar 2020 : 18:47:37
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Why would elves be at all involved?

Telamont, Larloch, Netheril, Shade, and even Elminster were all human. Mystra and Shar are human goddesses. Shadovar (shades) are a species derived from humans.

Elves abhor undeath. Elves resist resurrections and reincarnations. Elven taxons which already live in darkness (drow) or in shadow (shadar-kai) are quite independent from human shades, while other (surface) elves view darkened shadowy creatures as an unnatural and unwholesome blight. Elves believe that subjugating the souls/spirits of other "living" creatures is the greatest of evils. And frolicky fey of all flavours have never held much regard for (or even interacted with) Telamont, they have other power sources and other concerns.

Humans might be interested in Telamont's power. Liches might. Dragons might. Fiends might. But elves would only think to keep Telamont forever buried if they bothered to think about him at all.

As I said... Shade Enclave crashed into Myth Drannor. The elves are involved by the simple fact that Telemont wanted to steal the power of the elven Mythal. If Telemont was turned into a "Shadow Stone" like in the novel "The Shadow Stone" by Richard Baker, and was buried by the rubble of two colliding cities, and the elves found the shard when rebuilding, then yes, the elves would be very much involved.

Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 13 Mar 2020 : 18:39:03
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

If the Karse stone has vanished into the possession of Shar in Cannon, then I don't remember. I know Melegaunt Tanthul sacrificed himself to bring the enclave back.

I chose Vampire Lord over his 60 liches for the simple fact that it is a lesser intelligent powerful undead. Larloch doesn't want to raise another alpha lich in Telemont. Plus, I dig the concept of Telemont as a Vampire Lord, able to walk among living people in the daylight.

Do you think Telemont would retain his Shade template in undeath?

Shar grabbed the stone at the end of the Return of the Archwizards trilogy.

Another reason I don't think Larloch would want a vampire: not much blood to go around in his isolated city full of liches.

And vampire lord or not, I don't see Mr. Shadows wanting to go strolling about outside at noon.

But would he have his Shade Template still after being brought back into undeath? I'm very curious. It definitely matters.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Mar 2020 : 18:20:42
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

If the Karse stone has vanished into the possession of Shar in Cannon, then I don't remember. I know Melegaunt Tanthul sacrificed himself to bring the enclave back.

I chose Vampire Lord over his 60 liches for the simple fact that it is a lesser intelligent powerful undead. Larloch doesn't want to raise another alpha lich in Telemont. Plus, I dig the concept of Telemont as a Vampire Lord, able to walk among living people in the daylight.

Shar grabbed the stone at the end of the Return of the Archwizards trilogy.

Another reason I don't think Larloch would want a vampire: not much blood to go around in his isolated city full of liches.

And vampire lord or not, I don't see Mr. Shadows wanting to go strolling about outside at noon.
Ayrik Posted - 13 Mar 2020 : 18:14:36
Why would elves be at all involved?

Telamont, Larloch, Netheril, Shade, and even Elminster were all human. Mystra and Shar are human goddesses. Shadovar (shades) are a species derived from humans.

Elves abhor undeath. Elves resist resurrections and reincarnations. Elven taxons which already live in darkness (drow) or in shadow (shadar-kai) are quite independent from human shades, while other (surface) elves view darkened shadowy creatures as an unnatural and unwholesome blight. Elves believe that subjugating the souls/spirits of other "living" creatures is the greatest of evils. And frolicky fey of all flavours have never held much regard for (or even interacted with) Telamont, they have other power sources and other concerns.

Humans might be interested in Telamont's power. Liches might. Dragons might. Fiends might. But elves would only think to keep Telamont forever buried if they bothered to think about him at all.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 13 Mar 2020 : 17:41:28

sleyvas Posted - 12 Mar 2020 : 13:44:13
If I were to bring him back (which I'm not extremely interested in mind you), I'd probably bring him back as a variant on the concept of weave ghost.... a shadow weave ghost. Something akin to a spectral mage. Maybe even something like a Suel Lich / what happened to Thayd.
LordofBones Posted - 12 Mar 2020 : 05:03:25
Why would Larloch give a hoot about Telamont, much less want to raise him as a vampire lord? Telamont, as an epic level wizard, could simply have ample contingencies set to bring him back to life, like most obscenely powerful wizards.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Mar 2020 : 03:09:03
I don't see why Larloch would see a need to have a vampire among his 60 liches, or why he'd need to put in the effort to contain and control someone using a different form of magic in his servitor network.

Also, the Karse-stone is no longer in the Realms and hasn't been for 100 years. Shar's had it since the end of the RotA trilogy.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000