Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 "The Godborn" -- Prologue & Chapters 1 - 5

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 03:14:26
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Godborn (part of "The Sundering" saga), by Paul S. Kemp. Please discuss the Prologue and chapters 1 - 5 herein.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
charger_ss24 Posted - 16 Dec 2013 : 19:10:41
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Here is what Mr Kemp said in his author thread:

quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Hello Mr Kemp,
There was a discussion in the Book Club (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18453) regarding the identity of a character in chapter 1 of "The Godborn" - the "tall, gaunt man" with eyes without pupils watching Magadon getting out of his burning tavern, grinning at him and writing into a book with a quill. Can you shed some light on this?
Many thanks!

Alas, I can't say much. Here's what I can say (and only this unfortunately): He's not a "man," and he has and/or will appear in the other Sundering novels.

Just what I suspected :)

Some very heavy speculation: someone who has something to do with Deneir? In any case, I certainly hope that the Lord of All Glyphs and Images will return.

Edit: Has anyone spotted 'him' in "The Companions"? I haven't read "The Adversary" yet but suspect that 'he' makes an appearance at least there.

I don't recall seeing this "man" in "The Companions" and I may read it again before delving into "The Godborn" and "The Adversary" (trying to find "Shadowrealm" before starting "The Godborn"). I think if this "man" made a brief appearance in the first book, it would have been questioned already.

As for Deneir, I have a hard time wondering why this particular deity would have an interest in Magadon. IMHO, with wording like "struck Magadon odd" and "something about the man" and "goose pimples rose out of Magadon's skin" makes me think he's had a run in with this thing in the past. I have not yet read "Shadowrealm" yet, but could this character be the remains of his devilish self after the run in with his father in "Shadowbred"?
Thieran Posted - 15 Dec 2013 : 15:37:59

Here is what Mr Kemp said in his author thread:

quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Hello Mr Kemp,
There was a discussion in the Book Club (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18453) regarding the identity of a character in chapter 1 of "The Godborn" - the "tall, gaunt man" with eyes without pupils watching Magadon getting out of his burning tavern, grinning at him and writing into a book with a quill. Can you shed some light on this?
Many thanks!

Alas, I can't say much. Here's what I can say (and only this unfortunately): He's not a "man," and he has and/or will appear in the other Sundering novels.

Just what I suspected :)

Some very heavy speculation: someone who has something to do with Deneir? In any case, I certainly hope that the Lord of All Glyphs and Images will return.

Edit: Has anyone spotted 'him' in "The Companions"? I haven't read "The Adversary" yet but suspect that 'he' makes an appearance at least there.
Tanthalas Posted - 27 Oct 2013 : 21:14:47
I thought it was orsin too because of the description.
Thieran Posted - 27 Oct 2013 : 20:02:06
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

There is probably a missed story behind it when the series got shortened to one book.

That's another possibility!

quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Originally I felt this was Orsin, because of the physical description, but then the grinning and book with a quill did not feel like him.

That were my thoughts as well.

-- Still, I think there is a good chance that it is a hint at events to come...
skychrome Posted - 26 Oct 2013 : 07:56:22
quote:

Last page on chapter 1: who is the mysterious "tall, gaunt man" with eyes without pupils watching Magadon getting out of his burning tavern, grinning at him and writing into a book with a quill?

Did I miss something or is it left unclear who it was? Could he be a character (chosen?/god?) important for later events in the Sundering?

There is probably a missed story behind it when the series got shortened to one book.
Originally I felt this was Orsin, because of the physical description, but then the grinning and book with a quill did not feel like him.
The Masked Mage Posted - 22 Oct 2013 : 23:01:49
quote:

Last page on chapter 1: who is the mysterious "tall, gaunt man" with eyes without pupils watching Magadon getting out of his burning tavern, grinning at him and writing into a book with a quill?

Did I miss something or is it left unclear who it was? Could he be a character (chosen?/god?) important for later events in the Sundering?

Very good question.
Thieran Posted - 22 Oct 2013 : 11:11:17

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000