Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 The next Volo's Guide

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Caladan Brood Posted - 24 Jun 2013 : 16:21:04
So, suppose you lived in a fair world and Ed ..., er, Volothamp Geddarm was asked by the Wizards that be to write a new "Volo's Guide", totally in the vein of previous guides (drool).

Which one would you choose?
I'd want them all, of course - but I *think* I'd go for the Moonsea, because it is an intriguing region. A guide to a more focused location, like a guide to Westgate, or Iriaebor would also be fun.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gyor Posted - 05 Aug 2016 : 16:02:32
The old kingdoms have changed much thanks to the spellplague and High Imaskar.
Shadowsoul Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 20:46:36
I would absolutely kill for a Volo's Guide to the High Forest.
George Krashos Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 07:37:31
And I expect that Ed will be doing a mini-Volo's Guide to ... at the DMs Guild at the end of the year.

-- George Krashos
Brimstone Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 04:30:45
We are getting a "Volo's Guide to Monsters" soon...
Artemas Entreri Posted - 26 Jul 2016 : 20:57:03
*Resurrect poll

Cant't believe I missed this poll. My vote would be for "other": Volo's Guide to Some Part of Zakhara.
Diffan Posted - 26 Mar 2014 : 07:14:47
Moonsea is my first choice, seconded by Rasheman.
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Mar 2014 : 21:21:46
In order for me: Moonsea, Vast, Dragon Coast...
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 25 Mar 2014 : 20:42:54
Volo''s Guide to the Old Kingdoms
The Arcanamach Posted - 19 Dec 2013 : 01:12:07
I voted Cold Lands because we basically have no info on the region. I would prefer many of the others first but my vote goes towards fleshing out areas from which we've seen very little (or nothing).
Alruane Posted - 17 Nov 2013 : 21:23:24
The Old Kingdoms, now that would be interesting eh?
The Masked Mage Posted - 10 Nov 2013 : 23:06:35
I would vote for a lore book like All Thing Magical... only this time a book about all things undone... a guide to the revamps and changes and restorations. A one-stop guide bridging editions - this would include Halruua, the old empirres, sembia etc. Volo hits all the locations with major changes.
The Madmage Posted - 10 Nov 2013 : 22:04:43
I voted on Moonsea as it was hinted upon in the past. I'm a stickler for consistency. Honestly though, I hope that the next edition of the Forgotten Realms product line will be split somewhat between players and DMs. "Player books" will include the rules available to standard player protagonists and be presented in a format akin to the Volo guides or Elminster's Ecologies. The DM stuff would be more "factual" and include the rules and stats for antagonists.

Heck, I'd settle for the Shadowrun style of presenting most everything setting based through the lens of people in the know (Elminster, Volo, harpers or any other secret society or power-broker) and leaving the "truth" up to the DM.

Thauranil Posted - 07 Oct 2013 : 14:02:20
I would not mind more lore on the Shining South.
KacyCrawford Posted - 07 Oct 2013 : 10:36:04
Volo''s Guide to the Moonsea of course
Lord Bane Posted - 05 Sep 2013 : 10:00:23
While i find Volo needs a beating down for all the luck he had, i“d go with Moonsea. Lore even speaks of such a version though suppressed by the Zhentarim and only one copy existing in the realms.
Plaguescarred Posted - 05 Sep 2013 : 05:59:34
I'd vote for a Volo''s Guide to the Moonsea. I always been a big fan of those Volos! A great FR support D&D Next could do is continue this line of supplements with the titled suggested here. Now THAT's be awesome !
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 05 Sep 2013 : 02:22:13
Personally, I'd like all of them (there can never be to many Volo's Guides , in my opinion), but since I had to pick one I chose The Unapproachable East (I've been I little obsessed with Rashemen since I read the Daughter of the Drow novels).
The Red Walker Posted - 31 Aug 2013 : 22:31:23
a guide to restored Halruua would be nice
Gary Dallison Posted - 31 Aug 2013 : 20:19:26
Cold Lands for me, but looks like i'm the only one that wants it. After looking a bit closer at Vaasa I would love to see some detail on that. Doesn't matter what era, any volo's guide in that area would be very interesting given that there isn't much on the friendly side in Vaasa. Plot hooks involving the church of tiamat, warlock knights, and the cult of Orcus fighting each other for control would be great.
Alisttair Posted - 31 Aug 2013 : 17:03:35
Moonsea and Chult
Caladan Brood Posted - 26 Jun 2013 : 18:49:59
Since the poll was limited to a number, I picked the most obvious "regions" of Faerūn based on my own experience with the world (so the only things I kind of know about the post-2nd edition world is what I've gathered from computer games and advertisements), but if it were a poll with limitless options I'd add a HOST of possible guides :D
I mean, I'd love something as "small" as a Volo's Guide to Iriaebor or even smaller, a Volo's Guide to Hills' Edge. The whole concept of having a character from the world guide you through a place is just excellent.
One could take the concept in new directions as well, by having another Realms character write guidebooks, or have guidebooks detailing fluff, something like Volo's Guide to the Mental Illnesses of the Realms or Volo's Guide to Art and Objects. Which is kind of what we got with Elminster's Forgotten Realms. I wonder how well that book sold and if it did, whether WotC took note and want Ed to write more fluffy material.
hashimashadoo Posted - 26 Jun 2013 : 11:52:52
The Dragon Coast would be cool but Cloak & Dagger did Westgate almost to death IMO. I was left a bit wanting with the Everwinking Eye articles - I'd particularly like to read more about Melvaunt. Out of those options though I'd pick the Unaproachable East but I'd also like a guide to the Delimbiyr Vale.

Ever since I played the Legacy of the Green Regent campaign a few years ago, I've been fascinated with the place. I'd love to see a full map of Loudwater.
The Sage Posted - 25 Jun 2013 : 02:37:37
I'm inclined toward the Dragon Coast, since that particular region has always been one of my favourite "play" areas in the Realms.

I like the idea of a Volo's Guide for the Moonsea, though, as well.
Renin Posted - 25 Jun 2013 : 02:19:50
Would love to have a Guide to the Moonsea; agreed with all.

However, I voted for Unapproachable East, as with the Guide there, I could know just a bit better how Thay has a populace that doesn't want to commit suicide every day they wake up.

Oh wait, pre-Spellplague is my want though!
George Krashos Posted - 25 Jun 2013 : 01:08:35
I went with the Dragon Coast only because Ed's old Polyhedron "Everwinking Eye" column dealt with the Moonsea cities in fair detail and I know that the next feature in the (aborted) Cities of the Realms column for the paper Dragon was Teziir. That article never saw the light of day and sits mouldering in some WotC/Paizo vault. *sigh*

Oh, and because Westgate is cool.

-- George Krashos
Lothlos Posted - 24 Jun 2013 : 23:18:01
The Vast would be my first choice and the Moonsea would be my second choice. There seems to be more current information on the Moonsea.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Jun 2013 : 22:52:52
Sembia, the Moonsea, and the Dragon Coast all sound good to me.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 24 Jun 2013 : 21:38:34
My first impulse was to select the Dragon Coast, but after thinking on it I'd like to see the Moonsea. Note this was before I reviewed the thread.

And now that I've read the responses, I'd like to think I'm in good company.
xaeyruudh Posted - 24 Jun 2013 : 20:22:38
I agree that there's a lot to talk about in the Moonsea, but we've had several products focused on that area. What I've not seen is a good tour of the Vast.

I'd also like to see the guide to Sembia.

In a slightly different direction, I think WotC missed an opportunity while the Arcane Age product line was going, to send Volo through a time gate or have him temporarily exiled to the past by a peeved wizard. Volo's Guide to Netheril would be a cool book (though each enclave would deserve its own book), as would Volo's Guide to Myth Drannor and Volo's Guide to Ascalhorn.
Brian R. James Posted - 24 Jun 2013 : 18:36:18
Without question: the Moonsea

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000