Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cover of Old Gray Box

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rodrigoalcanza Posted - 22 Jan 2013 : 03:18:11
Does anyone know who is the rider on cover of the Old Gray Box? He also appears in the Forgotten Realms 4th Edition.

Thanks!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Seravin Posted - 31 May 2013 : 18:55:18
I just hope the cover of Elminster's Forgotten Realms isn't an idea of where the art is headed. I LOVE that book a lot, it's the best material to come out since the 90s for me, but the cover was totally off and not at all representative of the content. A real wasted opportunity to show an icon of the Realms. Instead we got some troll-gre pulling a cart...?
Joebing Posted - 31 May 2013 : 18:18:48
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Yeah, Thunderstorm went pretty far for a guy with AC 6. We should all chip in and get him chainmail.

Guess this answers most of my recent questions on whether the cards are canon or not. The general consensus says yes...sort of.
Markustay Posted - 28 Jan 2013 : 17:45:58
I was only joking about the Loincloth - without his 'costume' I doubt folks would even recognize him.

I'd like to see Todd Lockwood update him for the 5e cover, though.

Maybe have him on a mountainside, the way they had Elminster and Drizzt on the GHotR cover, overlooking something else iconic (waterdeep?)

You know, like a symbolic 'homecoming'.
Ayrik Posted - 28 Jan 2013 : 16:58:40
quote:
Markustay

Lets put [Thunderstorm] in loincloth and see how far we can push him.

You can do the pushing, I kinda prefer him with clothing, thanx. Perhaps he wears bikini chainmail underneath his travelling cloak.

But seriously, I think it's wiser to leave Horseman Near Lake unchanged. I personally believe he's just too iconic, and Wizbro has a track record of many successes but also many serious blunders in terms of how their audience responded to changes.

I might still buy the odd 4E or 5E item if Thunderstorm graces the cover, knowing that although I don't play those games the book might still have enough of "my" Realms setting in it to be a useful resource. But if I see Thunderstorm 2.0, with his spiky anime hair, glowing tattoos, armor-plated square chin, with a sword bigger than his horse ... forget it, to me that's got nothing to do with the Realms.
GungHo Posted - 28 Jan 2013 : 14:38:53
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Nah... his horse is named 'Wind'.

Thundestorms always ride on the wind.

Obviously, the horse's name is Horz Unterdûd.
Markustay Posted - 28 Jan 2013 : 13:17:48
Which is why I said it is a great piece of art that someone took a liking to (at TSR) and it was used to represent the Realms. It was used again on that novel NOT because that is Kelson Darktreader, but rather, because it is now an iconic symbol of the Realms themselves.

I think he should be on the 5e setting guide - who's with me? (with another updated piece of artwork)

quote:

Yeah, Thunderstorm went pretty far for a guy with AC 6. We should all chip in and get him chainmail.
Maybe he went that far because he had such crappy equipment. Nothing builds skill quicker and faster then adversity.

Lets put him in a loincloth and see how far we can push him.
Barastir Posted - 28 Jan 2013 : 11:39:47
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

Same artwork on the Choose Your Own Adventure "Spawn of Dragonspear". In that product the hero is Kelson Darktreader
Just thought I would muddy the waters some.

Well,

The description of Kelson Darktreader in "Under Illefarn" and in "The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier" is very unlike a picture of Thunderstorm. He's a blonde half-elf with some silver strands of hair, for example, and I'm not sure, but I think those description don't depict him with a beard. I don't have "Spawn of Dragonspear", but I think the picture inside had a - very different - picture of Kelson.
Ayrik Posted - 28 Jan 2013 : 03:32:26
Dark Wizard Posted - 28 Jan 2013 : 02:54:55
Hmm, didn't realize the image was set during the Spellplague. Recognized the character/figure immediately when looking at the FRCG 4E. All these years thought it was a funny self-referential image showing Thunderstorm thumping around the 4E Realms as a "bridge" in a "Well at least that guy made it" sort of way. Oh well, ol' Thunderstorm had a good run.
D-brane Posted - 28 Jan 2013 : 01:01:08
quote:
Originally posted by The Hidden Lord

quote:

Nice pic BTW - thanks for pointing that out. A little too much 'Bambi' going on, but otherwise very nice. Good to see the old guy back in action. I see him and Squanto had 'puppies'.

This is of course, incorrect. The illustration is of great quality, with just the correct amount of Bambi.
This is of course, your opinion. The illustration is of great quality to you, with apparently just the correct amount of Bambi to satisfy your artistic tastes.

That doesn't necessarily make what Markus said about the image to be incorrect. It simply illustrates that his own artistic tastes are different to your own.
The Hidden Lord Posted - 27 Jan 2013 : 22:35:15
quote:

Nice pic BTW - thanks for pointing that out. A little too much 'Bambi' going on, but otherwise very nice. Good to see the old guy back in action. I see him and Squanto had 'puppies'.

This is of course, incorrect. The illustration is of great quality, with just the correct amount of Bambi.

In addition, I am unfamiliar with Squanto in the Forgotten Realms... is this another of Greenwood's "Wild and Wacky Portals Through Space and Time" things?
Ayrik Posted - 27 Jan 2013 : 04:17:03
I somehow doubt Wizbro will retire Horseman Near Lake. He'll eventually ride onto the cover of something else, even if the Spellplague slows him down a little.
The Sage Posted - 27 Jan 2013 : 04:11:34
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

To be clear, the 4E illustration of Thunderstorm depicts the advent of the Spellplague in 1385 DR. We know not if Thunderstorm survived that specific event, but as a human it's unlikely he lives on in century after the Spellplague (without special circumstances, that is)

A historical image, then, of Thunderstorm performing some great deed before his supposed demise.
Brian R. James Posted - 27 Jan 2013 : 03:10:35
To be clear, the 4E illustration of Thunderstorm depicts the advent of the Spellplague in 1385 DR. We know not if Thunderstorm survived that specific event, but as a human it's unlikely he lives on in century after the Spellplague (without special circumstances, that is)
The Sage Posted - 27 Jan 2013 : 02:11:35
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Since it hasn't specifically been mentioned yet in this thread, I should point out that Thunderstorm also makes an appearance in the 4E Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide on page 49.

Which is why I earlier made reference to my hope that Thunderstorm appears in some way among the illustratively supportive material for the 5e Realms.

Regardless of whether one likes finding Thunderstorm among the various Realms images or not, it's just the kind of visual continuity I'd expect would make a lot of fans happy.
Ayrik Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 23:36:35
Drizzt's appearance has varied quite a lot over the years.
Elminster's appearance has varied significantly over the years.

Thunderstorm's appearance has remained constant across centuries and editions. The only detectable change seems to be a bit of photo touching to enhance colour-balance and contrast. He is, to my mind, the icon of the Realms. I have seen Horseman Near Lake appear on all sorts of Wizbro products, but never anything associated with another world/setting. Thunderstorm is easily more recognizable than dirty old Mirt.
Markustay Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 23:24:52
Well, yeah... I did say he survived by absorbing the negative energy of a Lich (thus becoming an "unholy half-dead").

I figure if Artemis can pull off that cheese, so can good ol' Thundestorm.

Brian R. James Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 22:45:53
Since it hasn't specifically been mentioned yet in this thread, I should point out that Thunderstorm also makes an appearance in the 4E Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide on page 49.
crazedventurers Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 16:37:46
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Lets not forget that Thunderstorm also appeared in the FR pewter miniatures set
As an aside any remember what the wizard on the back of the box is called? (hmmm sounds like the FR trivia quiz thread again!)

Anymore guesses before I am forced to reveal all?

Cheers
Dark Wizard Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 04:52:49
Kelson Darktreader is one of the NPCs in the Daggerford section of The North box set. He's a half-elf ranger 7.

Kelson is a member of the Floshin family, grandson of Elorfindar, son of Filvendor, half brother of Filarion. Some of this may have developed from Under Illefarn, which this section of the North was based on. I'm not sure as I haven't read Illefarn.

Eric Boyd's development of Illefarn and Daggerford may have much more on Kelson, the Floshins, and the area of the Delimbyr.
Ayrik Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 04:18:08
Ah, well. Everyone needs a hobby, Sage. And rhetoric is a valuable skill, assuming you have something important to say.

Just out of curiosity - since I don't have Spawn of Dragonspear - are any stats given for Kelson Darktreader?
The Sage Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 04:06:38
I think we can all do without the provocatively antagonistic postings of The Hidden Lord.

So let's just overlook them and move on to more worthwhile commentary, eh?

Markustay Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 03:48:35
quote:
Originally posted by The Hidden Lord

Nope, we have a loser.
I'm fairly certain name calling is against the rules.

Stop being churlish, its most unbecoming.
The Sage Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 01:20:39
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Thunderstorm is on the FR0 cover yet not found anywhere within the box. Perhaps he just rides around from cover to cover.

Jocularity aside, I'd like to see a nod -- however slight -- to Thunderstorm in the 5e iteration of the FORGOTTEN REALMS campaign book.
The Hidden Lord Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 01:19:04
Nope, we have a loser.

Thunderstorm was canonised with the Forgotten Realms trading card.

But thanks for playing.
Markustay Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 00:08:23
And Markustay said............

quote:

He isn't anybody - its just a piece of art (that someone at TSR liked and slapped on the OGB). I think you may be reading too much into it.
Ding Ding Ding... we have a winna!!!

(yes, I am bowing to an empty room right now... silly me)
Lanessar Posted - 25 Jan 2013 : 22:32:34
I thought I'd give this a go. This was all in a verbal discussion (since I had the same question when I bought the boxed set) I had with Keith getting the poster signed at a convention in about 1989.

He said the painting didn't represent a character in FR canon. He had done the painting some time before and it was used for the boxed set, the painting was originally named "Horseman by the Lake".

The "Thunderstorm" and the rest came after, but the painting itself was not of a specific character (nor was it originally done for the Forgotten Realms specifically).
Markustay Posted - 25 Jan 2013 : 20:56:13
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Thunderstorm is on the FR0 cover yet not found anywhere within the box. Perhaps he just rides around from cover to cover.

And yet another

I literally LOL'd
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Jan 2013 : 20:00:17
quote:

BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 25 Jan 2013 : 19:44:37
It was the best cover of all FR campaign settings , for me.....

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000