Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Villians

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lunarbeams Posted - 16 Dec 2012 : 15:55:22
What makes a good villain?

It is really a simple question with a complex answer. Villains are not in the days of Dudley Do-Right were simple and one dimensional by simply tying a maiden to railroad tracks. Nor they are simple thugs or bullies. When writer needs a villain to enhance the hero there are many sub-types of villains. This is due in part of what motivates the villain. A villain is what goes against the societal norms. In R.A. Salvatore both Drzzt Do’Urden can be consider a villain to Menzoberran and one can say the same of Jarlaxle. Both went against the societal norms even though that society is evil begin with. Does this make the villain evil actually in Drzzt case it is the opposite.

So a villain is going against the law of the given society. Why does this make him or her important to the story. I recently read that are some stories that are no villains. These stories are usually geared to the young children and not very memorable. How many remember the hamsters of Hamtaro but they know of Peter Rabbit. Both are children stories but these tales are to teach values and morals.

So a good villain makes the story more believable but it adds flavor to it as well. Motives of the villain have to be realistic in the sense why this person is doing this. This can range from simple boredom or unadorned naked ambition. Revenge can make person lose sight what is good and right in the world.

I am going use this as example but here is the reason why I want Sheverash in story format.

Sheverash look at the Drow in the Deep Waste with grim savage joy he watch as their suffering began at the hands of Fire Titans under Queen Hledh. It nearly brought a smile to his face as Sheverash but he remember his vow to Corellon. The bane of his existence Sheverash watch the torment of the Drow begin and the part him wanted to slay the dark elves was silent. In shackles and chains the mighty Drow chosen people of the Spider Goddess are brought low. The Drow now lost the very thing that made their culture as Lloth will never acknowledge their existence. It brought deep satisfaction to Sheverash and knowing this.

Sheverash wants revenge for the loss of he suffered at Lloth hands. To Sheveresh, Lloth is the villain and from the Drow prespective it is reverse. A villain is matter perception and very few of them will admit that they are villain it way the choose to survive. A villain has personal needs as the hero does and it is how they achieve this need. Sheverash case it is his need for revenge that defines him and how far is he willing to achieve this is the question. How much a person is willing to sacrifice what is good to achieve the desired goal?

You can have story about an anti-hero and just be as entertaining. Or even the story about just villains it the motivations they have to make three dimensional character. It is not the story or plot lines make the story it is the characters in them.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lunarbeams Posted - 18 Dec 2012 : 00:31:46
Wow. I am impressed who knows I started on fan fiction on Sheverash. Once I finish it get the grammer correct I will do my very best to make good story.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 17 Dec 2012 : 22:21:37
I would love a story about Shevarash, myself. I think he'd make a very interesting character. Or, at least, more about his followers. All we got (at least as far as I know, someone please let me know otherwise), is a short story. I advocate for Shevarash. He's more of an anti-hero than villain, IMO.
Thauranil Posted - 17 Dec 2012 : 10:49:06
Certainly those types of Villains are very interesting but sometimes you need a good old fashioned villain like Darth Vader or Darkseid to mix things up .
The ones with a few remaining shreds of honor and goodness are my favorite.
Dennis Posted - 17 Dec 2012 : 04:46:12
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

My favorite is when the line between Villain and Hero is indistinguishable.
Such is the 'trend' these days. I myself don't bother with labels. Villains, heroes, pseudo-heroes, quasi-villains... Sometimes, I favor the villain more than the hero. At times, I couldn't care less for either one of them, rooting instead for a certain nearly vague minor character. What matters to me is not the role a character plays, but how well he is fleshed out, how well he handles a conflict, and how well I can relate to him. The more opportunity for me to 'get into his mind,' or see his personality laid bare, the better.
Lunarbeams Posted - 17 Dec 2012 : 01:47:15
Then I let the topic die a graceful death. Thanks Entreri for your comment. As well I extend a thank you, Dennis.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 17 Dec 2012 : 01:29:32
My favorite is when the line between Villain and Hero is indistinguishable.
Dennis Posted - 17 Dec 2012 : 01:06:29
quote:
Originally posted by Lunarbeams

What makes a good villain?
The simple answer? Get an excellent author to write about them.

We've touched on this subject here.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000