Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Epic 6th Campaign

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diffan Posted - 31 Aug 2011 : 16:33:04
So I came across this a while back and thought very little of it but as I turn back to my 3E roots for campaigns and character ideas, this has instantly grown on me.

For those not familiar with the E6-design concept by Ryan Dancey, you can view it here: E6: The game Inside D&D

For those not wanting to read the rules, basically it's normal v3.5 but character stop advancing in levels past 6th. This is because it's the game's "sweet spot" in terms of balance, mechanics, and adaptation across the whole spectrum. It takes the perspective of the common man (human commoner 1 for example) and the pinnicle of magic or war tops out at about 6th level. Magic there after is often so "superhero-ish" that it starts to really defy logic and leaves those of mere-mortal status in the dust.

Character advancement after 6th level comes in the form of Feats. For every +5,000 XP you attain you gain another feat. 5 feats attained in this manner is equal to a level or CR increase. So, a 6th level party with say...5 extra feats could possibly take down a CR 11 and survive the encounter. Challenging creatures about this level takes more resources than are readily available and is more of a "mission, quest, adventure path" than a seemingly random encounter.

So, with that basis, who's done this before? My group is a little apprehensive since we've been doing 4E for a while and a drop/change in gaming attitude is going to be brand-new. My wife is NOT happy that her sorcerer isn't going to be casting powerful magics but what I think they need to see is that the whole world is playing by the same rules for class-design. Monster and other creatures going off of HD and CR are going to be a bit different yet those are special cases where it's less about "encounter" and more about "events" that are memorable. Trolls, no matter what level you are, should be scary creatures you have to deal with and Dragons should be terrifying beasts that make cities shake with terror. Neither of which HAVE to have CRs in the 15-20 range to be so.

Thoughts and ideas on the subject??
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sirzithor Posted - 23 Dec 2014 : 08:02:46
Oops, there it is on the first page. I thought he'd already looked at the page before he asked me about it. Sorry.
Diffan Posted - 23 Dec 2014 : 07:34:10
quote:
Originally posted by sirzithor

Hey Diffan,

We had a great session last week, my E6 wizard had to read one of his own Explosive Runes that he had prepared in order to destroy an astral silver cord holding a powerful demon. The wizard went to -7 hp for the epic win! While we were playing, I mentioned to my friends about the psionic capstones. They love them too!

Awesome. I'm glad you guys liked them. As your wizard gets higher, you'll be able to grab the metamagic feats that are reduced in cost and you'll be quickening 1st level spells. Also, if you want you can PM me on how to make Explosive Runes into a thrown bomb.

quote:

One of my gaming buddies is going to make up an E6 Scout (from the Complete Adventurer). Is there any chance of you coming up with some capstones for the Scout? (and possibly the Ninja and Spellthief too?)

Anyway, still loving E6 and hope you are too! Thanks again!

If you check the 1st page of this thread you'll see I already did Capstone Feats for the Scout and Ninja. I'll have to look at the spell thief but I doubt it would be hard.
sirzithor Posted - 23 Dec 2014 : 05:18:05
Hey Diffan,

We had a great session last week, my E6 wizard had to read one of his own Explosive Runes that he had prepared in order to destroy an astral silver cord holding a powerful demon. The wizard went to -7 hp for the epic win! While we were playing, I mentioned to my friends about the psionic capstones. They love them too! One of my gaming buddies is going to make up an E6 Scout (from the Complete Adventurer). Is there any chance of you coming up with some capstones for the Scout? (and possibly the Ninja and Spellthief too?)

Anyway, still loving E6 and hope you are too! Thanks again!
Diffan Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 13:14:19
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan
I was going over my notes and apparently I changed up this feat to something else. Here's what I got that was a little less confusing yet still pretty decent and fits in-line more with what I envision a higher powered Warblade to do:

VETERAN WARBLADE [CAPSTONE]
Benefit:
You gain the Battle Skill (opposed checks) class feature.

This would replace the feature that allows you to pilfer BAB +8 required feats (something of a Fighter-only feature, to be honest).

For the VETERAN WARBLADE [CAPSTONE] feat, I think I prefer what you had posted before. Warblades to have a feature that lets them qualify for Fighter-only feats as a Fighter of their level - 2. You also gave this to Warblades as the second capstone, but Fighters get it as their first, which made sense as a level - 2 equivalent.

True, however I felt that Fighter alone qualifying for those feats made them feel more unique. But there's no reason someone can't have options going that far into the class. The selection of either seems good though.

quote:

For the psionic capstones, love them!

The only thing I would suggest as a clarification of them is how the Psion or Wilder would manifest the 4th level powers that they may learn. With psionics, powers have a PP cost based on the level of the power, but you can only spend a maximum of your manifester level on any given power. So 4th level powers would normally cost 7 PP, but as a 6th level manifester, you can only spend 6 PP on any given power. You could either say that 4th level powers only cost the character 6 PP instead of 7 PP, or allow that the character can spend 7 PP to manifest 4th level powers only or something.

Hm, hadn't realized that. I think I'll just have them spend 7 PP despite only being 6th level manifester.

quote:

The Shadowbane Inquisitor also looks very cool. Seems like a very good reason to multiclass. So far all the capstone options strongly encourage a single-class character. Even most of the prestige feat chains could be entered as a single-classed character. So that one seems really interesting.

Agreed. The actual Prestige Class is very "meh" if it's being used with the normal v3.5 system but used this way, it makes playing a Paladin/Rogue a really great option. There are quite a few others like the Arcane Archer and Eldritch Knight that do a great job of blending Fighter and Arcane classes.
sirzithor Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 09:09:36
quote:
I was going over my notes and apparently I changed up this feat to something else. Here's what I got that was a little less confusing yet still pretty decent and fits in-line more with what I envision a higher powered Warblade to do:

Benefit:

This would replace the feature that allows you to pilfer BAB +8 required feats (something of a Fighter-only feature, to be honest).

For the VETERAN WARBLADE [CAPSTONE] feat, I think I prefer what you had posted before. Warblades to have a feature that lets them qualify for Fighter-only feats as a Fighter of their level - 2. You also gave this to Warblades as the second capstone, but Fighters get it as their first, which made sense as a level - 2 equivalent.

For the psionic capstones, love them!

The only thing I would suggest as a clarification of them is how the Psion or Wilder would manifest the 4th level powers that they may learn. With psionics, powers have a PP cost based on the level of the power, but you can only spend a maximum of your manifester level on any given power. So 4th level powers would normally cost 7 PP, but as a 6th level manifester, you can only spend 6 PP on any given power. You could either say that 4th level powers only cost the character 6 PP instead of 7 PP, or allow that the character can spend 7 PP to manifest 4th level powers only or something.

The Shadowbane Inquisitor also looks very cool. Seems like a very good reason to multiclass. So far all the capstone options strongly encourage a single-class character. Even most of the prestige feat chains could be entered as a single-classed character. So that one seems really interesting.
Diffan Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 00:27:40
Also found this in my files for E6. Not sure when I did the conversion but it looks like a fun prestige feat chain:

• SHADOWBANE INQUISITOR
    Radiant Inquisitor [Prestige, Entry]
    Prerequisite:
    Character level 6th; Gather Information 4 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks, Sense Motive 8 ranks; Power Attack feat; must have detect evil as a class feature or the ability to cast it as a divine spell, turn undead class feature, sneak attack feature
    Benefit: You can spend one use of your turn undead ability to shed holy radiance. This light brightly illuminates an area in a radius of 20-ft. plus 5 feet for each additional prestige feat you obtain. This light is centered on you and sheds no shadowy illumination beyond its border. This light lasts for 10 minutes for each prestige feat you have.

• Sacred Stealth [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Radiant Inquisitor feat
    Benefit: You can channel your ability to turn undead to become stealthier. To do this spend two uses of your turn undead ability to gain a +4 sacred bonus to your Hide and Move Silently checks for a number of minutes equal to your Charisma bonus (if any). If you obtain four prestige feats, this bonus increases to +8.

Inquisitors Wrath [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Radiant Inquisitor feat
    Benefit: Increase the damage you deal with your sneak attack feature by an additional +1d6. In addition, the strictures of your smite ability are relaxed. From this point on you rely on your own judgment when determining what creatures to use your smite feature against and the amount of damage you deal is equal to your total character level plus 1 for each prestige feat you have.

Merciless Purity [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Radiant Inquisitor feat
    Benefit: Upon the death of a creature you deem corrupt, you gain a +1 sacred bonus to your Fortitude and Reflex saves for a 24-hours. You designate a creature as corrupt by using your Smite ability as part of a melee attack against that creature. You can only benefit from this ability once per day. When you obtain four Prestige feats, this bonus increases to +2.

Righteous Fervor [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Radiant Inquisitor, Inquisitors Wrath, 5 or more Epic feats
    Benefit: When you designate a creature as corrupt, you gain a +1 sacred bonus to attack and damage rolls against that creature for the rest of the encounter. You designate a creature as corrupt by using your Smite ability as part of a melee attack against that creature. This bonus only applies to subsequent attacks, not to the initial smite attempt. Once you obtain four Prestige feats, this bonus increases to +2

Burning Light [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Radiant Inquisitor, 10 or more Epic feats
    Benefit: You can spend a use of your turn undead feature, as a standard action, to deal damage to creatures around you. To do this you must have the ability from Radiant Inquisitor active. All creatures within the illuminated area (except you) take 4d6 points of damage. This damage results directly from divine power and is not subject to energy resistance.
Diffan Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 00:21:59
quote:

quote:

Benefit: From now on, you qualify for feats with a requirement of Fighter level 8, and with a Base Attack Bonus requirement of up to +8. In addition, select a feat for which you meet the requirements for.

I had a question about this capstone (and the Fighter one that is the same). My friends and I had an argument about it. We have two schools of thought on what this feat was intended to be. Could someone help clarify?

Option A:
Benefit: From now on, you qualify for feats with a requirement of Fighter level 8, and with a Base Attack Bonus requirement of up to +8. In addition, select a feat you don't currently meet the requirements for. You are now considered to meet the requirements of that feat and may take it normally when you are able to take a feat.

Option B:
Benefit: From now on, you qualify for feats with a requirement of Fighter level 8, and with a Base Attack Bonus requirement of up to +8. In addition, select a feat that you meet the requirements for. You may include the previous benefit when selecting this feat. You gain the benefits of that feat in addition to this feat.

Any assistance clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Benefit:

Diffan Posted - 16 Dec 2014 : 21:39:58

• PSION
    PSYCHIC EMPOWERMENT [PSION CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain an additional 5 power points per day. In addition, you know two more powers up to 3rd level.

• VETERAN PSION [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Your considered a 10th level Psion for effects and abilities related to our psicrystal. In addition, you may choose one Psionic feat.

EPIC PSION [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    The maximum power level of psionic powers you know increases to 4th. You also gain 1 additional power known. When you manifest a 4th level psionic power, you must spend 7 points in doing so.

• PSYCHIC WARRIOR
    KINETIC COMMANDO [PSYCHIC WARRIOR CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Your base attack bonus increases to +6, granting you an extra attack when you take make a full-attack action. Additionally, gain 5 more power points.

• VETERAN PSYCHIC WARRIOR [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You may add your Wisdom modifier to any damage roll you make with a weapon or psychic warrior power attack.

EPIC PSYCHIC WARRIOR [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    The maximum power level you know increases to 3rd. Additionally, you know one additional power.

• SOULKNIFE
    CEREBRIAL BLADEMASTER [SOULKNIFE CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Your psychic strike feature increases to +2d8.

• VETERAN SOULKNIFE [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You can imbue your mind blade with a +2 enhancement bonus or with a special magical ability, so long as the ability does not exceed a +1 enhancement bonus.

EPIC SOULKNIFE [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You can invoke the Bladewind ability.

• WILDER
    RISING TEMPEST [WILDER CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Your wild surge ability increases to +3. Additionally, gain 5 more power points.

• VETERAN WILDER [WILDER CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You may choose an additional power. Also, when you’re overcome with psychic enervation the effects only last until the start of your next turn and you do not lose any power points.

EPIC WILDER [WILDER CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    The maximum power you know increases to 4th. Additionally, you gain an additional power known. When you manifest a 4th level psionic power, you must spend 7 points in doing so.
sirzithor Posted - 15 Dec 2014 : 16:02:07
No hurry on it, when you have time is fine. Thanks for doing this!
Diffan Posted - 15 Dec 2014 : 12:55:05
quote:

Was thinking of the ones from the EPH, which are the Psion, Psychic Warrior, Soulknife and Wilder.

Cool, luckily they're all on the d20srd website so I won't have to go digging much. Having not played them, don't be alarmed if their capstone feats are powerful. Let me know if you think one or two might be too much compared to other feats of other classes. I'm not sure when I'll have them done by, any specific timeframe?
sirzithor Posted - 14 Dec 2014 : 17:19:52
Was thinking of the ones from the EPH, which are the Psion, Psychic Warrior, Soulknife and Wilder.
Diffan Posted - 14 Dec 2014 : 04:59:50
quote:

Hi Diffan,

I know this thread is old, but is there any chance you could do up capstone feats for psionic classes from the Expanded Psionics Handbook?

Thanks in advance.

Hm, I haven't actually played any Psionics in 3.5 but I can definitely take a shot at it. Which classes exactly?
sirzithor Posted - 13 Dec 2014 : 17:28:33
Hi Diffan,

I know this thread is old, but is there any chance you could do up capstone feats for psionic classes from the Expanded Psionics Handbook?

Thanks in advance.
Diffan Posted - 17 Jun 2014 : 10:16:45
quote:

quote:

The intent is Option B, as you are treated as an 8th level Fighter for selecting feats, including the additional one you gain with the Capstone. Sorry if the wording wasn't as clear as I intended.

No problem, thanks for the quick reply! I actually thought you intended option A as I did not see any precedent for a feat giving you another feat. Also, being able to meet the prerequisite for another feat was in-line with the rest of the benefit of the feat. Thanks for the clarification!

No problem. I'll try to reword it so its more clear. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
sirzithor Posted - 17 Jun 2014 : 08:22:14
quote:

The intent is Option B, as you are treated as an 8th level Fighter for selecting feats, including the additional one you gain with the Capstone. Sorry if the wording wasn't as clear as I intended.

No problem, thanks for the quick reply! I actually thought you intended option A as I did not see any precedent for a feat giving you another feat. Also, being able to meet the prerequisite for another feat was in-line with the rest of the benefit of the feat. Thanks for the clarification!
Diffan Posted - 17 Jun 2014 : 08:18:16
sirzithor Posted - 17 Jun 2014 : 07:38:25
quote:

Benefit: From now on, you qualify for feats with a requirement of Fighter level 8, and with a Base Attack Bonus requirement of up to +8. In addition, select a feat for which you meet the requirements for.

I had a question about this capstone (and the Fighter one that is the same). My friends and I had an argument about it. We have two schools of thought on what this feat was intended to be. Could someone help clarify?

Option A:
Benefit: From now on, you qualify for feats with a requirement of Fighter level 8, and with a Base Attack Bonus requirement of up to +8. In addition, select a feat you don't currently meet the requirements for. You are now considered to meet the requirements of that feat and may take it normally when you are able to take a feat.

Option B:
Benefit: From now on, you qualify for feats with a requirement of Fighter level 8, and with a Base Attack Bonus requirement of up to +8. In addition, select a feat that you meet the requirements for. You may include the previous benefit when selecting this feat. You gain the benefits of that feat in addition to this feat.

Any assistance clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hawkins Posted - 12 Oct 2013 : 20:58:03
Here is a link to the Mythic rules for anyone wishing to just check them out.
idilippy Posted - 11 Oct 2013 : 18:28:07
I think Hawkins has it right, E6 with Mythic will let you simulate higher level play pretty easily. Between the extra durability, access to all sorts of special abilities and special defenses, ways to greatly increase attack and damage potential, and abilities that drastically increase a PCs survivability and healing ability Mythic PCs have the potential to be a good deal stronger than non-mythics. A couple abilities I see might be problematic for an E6 game, though not necessarily too powerful. Just listing abilities for Tiers 1 and 3 to keep this shorter and because the higher tiers of course have higher power and there'd be too many to go through.
Archmage Basic
-Arcane Surge as a swift action cast a spell you have prepared or known (if spontaneous) for free without spending a spell slot. Non-mythic enemies let you roll to beat spell resistance twice and have to roll to save twice and take the worst. This is basically like having a quicken spells rod and the spell cast as a swift action gets a boost too.
Tier 1 Archmage
-Flash of Omniscience lets a PC use Divination with a 70%+arcane class level+tier chance of getting a correct answer and no muddled answer possibilities (since it's flavored as the PC's special mind not asking questions of an outsider. Divination is usually not possible in E6 so could be trouble.
-Mythic Hexes makes it so that a Witch hex affects a non-mythic enemy for 1 round even if they successfully save against it which can be quite troubling with a hex like sleep. Unless you plan on using Mythic Enemies often this could make hexes and the itch class even more potent.
Tier 3 Archmage
-Many Forms is Alter Self at will with Polymorph as a free action when you spend a Mythic Point. Polymorph is not available in E6 usually.
-Mirror Dodge lets you as an immediate action teleport 30ft when hit by an attack, replacing yourself with an illusion that is destroyed by the damage. Since neither teleport nor dimension door are available at E6 this could be out of concept (though it's really not potent at all).

Champion Basic
-Distant Barrage is the free ranged attack example.
-Fleet Charge lets you, as a swift action, move up to your speed and make an attack (ranged or melee) at your full BAB plus your tier which bypasses DR. Then you still have your full attack action. Not too troubling in E6 when you'll only attack twice on a full attack though.

Champion Tier 1&3
Nothing really sticks out, fun stuff for martial sorts but nothing that breaks E6 assumptions.

Guardian Tier 1
-Fast Healing does what it says: fast healing 5 for 1 minute. Doesn't really seem bad to me but I can't remember other ways of getting fast healing in E6 so might ping for some people.
-Raise Animal lets you do a little ritual to have a bonded mount, animal companion, or familiar be raised from the dead overnight. It doesn't seem too strong but does break the E6 default of no raise dead access.
-Relentless Healing lets you cast a healing spell on a creature only 1 round dead, or trigger a spell the creature knows if it has been dead longer, to try to bring it above death. It basically lets you use breath of life on an ally or raise dead on someone with healing of their own, both of which are abilities not possible in basic E6.

Heirophant Basic
-Inspired Spell works like Wild Arcana, letting a character cast any spell on their divine spell list (not just memorized or known) for free and with a +2 to caster level.
-Recalled Blessing is Arcane Surge for divine spells.

Heirophant Tier 1
-Relentless Healing is just like the Guardian one.

Marshal
I couldn't find anything out of theme for E6 here.

Trickster Basic
-Fleet Charge just like Champion Fleet Charge

Trickster Tier 1
-No One of Consequence has you be under a permanent Nondetection effect which isn't possible otherwise in E6 I don't believe.

Trickster Tier 3
-Mirror Dodge is just like the other Mirror Dodge ability.

Universal Abilities Tier 1
-Commune With Power lets you use the Commune spell, not possible in normal E6 I don't believe.
-Legendary Item lets you possibly get a minor artifact, or intelligent item, etc and may be out of whack with normal E6 item possibilities.

Universal Abilities Tier 3
-Divine Source allows you to grant divine spells to those who follow your cause, allowing them to select you as a deity. You also cast any divine spells from your 2 domains (more if taken again at higher tier) 1/day each as a spell like ability. You can cast spells of spell level = Tier so if you have 5 tiers you can cast (and grant) up to 5th level spells. Becoming a deity, even in this slightly less full way, is a little more than E6 standard I think.
-Pure Destiny makes you immune to all non-mythic curses and compulsions, which may be overpowered if you don't use Mythic enemies much.
-Sleepless makes you immune to sleep and you can regain any rest-dependent abilities 1/day with 1 hour of meditating.

The book is worth checking out despite the potentially troubling abilities. Even though this post got long (and I skipped mention of Mythic Feats or Spells) I think Mythic is more interesting than troubling. I like it as a base to tinker with and am/will be using modified versions of the Mythic rules in a couple campaigns I run. For my E7 game I am considering using temporary Mythic Power moments. PCs who do certain tasks to gain temporary access to legendary power in order to defeat an unspeakable foe seems to me like a great way to use Mythic rules with E7 PCs.
Diffan Posted - 11 Oct 2013 : 17:44:34
“SEIPORA’S SASH”
(Jeweled Belt of Enthralling Beauty)

“Seipora’s Sash” is a bejeweled belt with frills of multiple colors that ring the waist of its wearer. The belt is primarily used by gypsy and harem females in their exotic dances to enhance their beauty. Coins frame the frills and are of no particular value. This sash, however, does have one exceptional piece, an emerald positioned at its center. This emerald is of special quality, enhancing spells that help ensnare onlookers of the dance the wearer is performing. When performing a dance (Perform [Dance] DC 10) as a move action, any spell cast in that turn with the Compulsion descriptor adds 2 to the total HD of creatures affected.
The true name of this piece of clothing is the Jeweled Belt of Enthralling Beauty, but was last worn by a Calishite spelldancer named Seipora. This spelldancer helped fight slavery that transpired throughout the desert lands of Calimshan and she was notorious to slave lords and those of the Zhentarim, who helped fuel this disturbing trade. In the end Seipora was betrayed by her lover, a disguised prince of a famous Pasha, who had strong dealings in the Slave market. Her death, however, was not in vain for it spurred on rebellion amongst many of the enslaved people and helped free hundreds of Calishites and Fire Genasi people.

How the sash came to be in the Border Kingdoms is a bit of a mystery for its well-known that Seipora had met her death in the city of Calimport. Speculators believe that she might have survived and helped fight slavers in this new country but so far, she has never been spotted. The sash finally came to rest at a shop in the town of Nightwind and purchased by the Lord of the Wavewatch, Mistress Azlurla Marounal.
Diffan Posted - 11 Oct 2013 : 17:43:10
Here are a few items I made for my E6 Campaign. I'll post them as I get the time.

THE ROCK

“The Rock” is a masterwork adamantine heavy spiked shield set with a crystal of arrow deflection [Lesser]. The pieces are broken up and placed into the eye sockets of a grim-visage dwarf. It functions the same as if it were one whole gem and provides the benefit of +2 to the wielder’s AC against all ranged attacks. Further, the adamantine property provides the wielder with DR 1/- from all physical damage. From a distance, the gems and stern face on the shield’s surface confuse and disorientate ranged attackers, giving it its properties. Spikes extend from the front of the shield, allowing it’s wielder the option to charge and impale targets while an acute, buzz-saw like blade extends from the left half, allowing a swinging motion to slice and cut enemies.

Not much is known about this fantastic shield’s origin besides the fact that its shape and design marks it as significantly Dwarven. Inscribed along the inner part of the shield is written in Dethek, “Azgal” meaning Shield of Stone in the Common tongue. History of this shield is pretty rare, as its style and shape date back to a time before the Time of Troubles. This particular artwork is common amongst the clans of the Spine of the World.

Market Price: 2,570 gp.
Diffan Posted - 11 Oct 2013 : 15:41:10
Well I'm definitly curious to see how this plays. I might have to go check out this book at my closest D&D retailer. In any event, the purpose of E6 is to remain within the the CR levels of monsters between 1/4 and 10. If you can easily take on CR 10 creatures with Mythic Path character at 6th level then it's probably too powerful.
Hawkins Posted - 11 Oct 2013 : 15:06:05
My main thought is that while you do gain HP, ability scores, abilities, and feats with the Mythic paths, you do not gain an improved HD, BAB, SVs, or spellcaster level (though depending on where you put your ability scores, you can simulate the improvement of many of them). And therefore, in an E6ish campaign, you can simulate higher level play.
idilippy Posted - 10 Oct 2013 : 16:07:40
Mythic Paths are independent of classes/PrC's/Hit Dice/etc, though many paths are highly aligned to certain classes (Archmage does more for an arcane caster than a fighter, for example). They allow you to gain mythic abilities and mythic feats (as well as attribute and some hp increases) when you gain Mythic Tiers independent from the benefits you get from leveling. For example, a 5th level Ranger could finish a Mythic Trial and be granted his/her first Mythic Tier by the DM. If the DM doesn't do anymore Mythic Trials that Ranger could grow to level 20 and still be Mythic Tier 1 over the course of a campaign. Similarly, the DM could offer more Mythic Power without having the PCs gain enough xp to level up, so that Ranger could stay 5th level and gain 2, 3, 4, or however many Mythic Tiers, ending up as level 5/Tier 10 if the DM chose to do that. Paizo recommends about 1 Tier/2 levels as a guideline but there are also campaigns where Mythic Power might be gained in different ways. There's even (and I like this) the possibility of Mythic Power being a temporary mantle granted to (or seized by) the PCs that lasts for a limited time. PCs could have circumstances that suddenly grant them 3 Mythic tiers for the length of an adventure or couple adventures, then the power is gone for whatever story reason.

As for whether it would work well with E6/E8, I would have to look a lot more closely but from what I've seen some Mythic abilities are a rather large power increase over traditional Pathfinder. As an example, the Archmage Mythic Path ability Wild Arcana lets an arcane caster spend a Mythic Point to cast any spell on their spell list, known or not, spontaneously without spending a spell slot and with your effective caster level counting as +2 for that spell. So a Wizard can cast any spell on the sorcerer/wizard spell list (known or not) spontaneously up to 3+(2xMythic Tier) times per day.

The Champion ability Distant Barrage is pretty nice for an archer, letting them as a swift action attack at their full BAB with an attack that gets a bonus to hit and bypasses all DR. Follow that up with a Mythic Rapid Shot (ignore the -2 penalty or choose to roll 2 extra attacks instead of just one) and an extra attack for haste and you have a 6th level archer who can attack 6 times, Distant Barrage at full BAB+tier, attack at BAB-2, rapid shot 1 at BAB-2, rapid shot 2 at BAB-2, haste at BAB-2, iterative attack at BAB-7 (unless the character has the mythic ability that removes the penalty for iterative attacks). If the characters are under the effect of Mythic Haste instead of regular Haste that archer would get a free move action (at speed+50ft) before the attack. Whether this level of power is something you want in your games or not is something you'll have to consider, since this is just 1 ability and there are more (and likely more potent) abilities. If these sounds like a great thing for a Mythic Archer or Mythic Mage to be able to do in your E6 game then awesome, and there's no doubt that the extra power Mythic offers PCs will let a level 6 group stand toe to toe with higher power foes (assuming they keep their defenses up and don't get "out-offensed" by too powerful foes). If you like the base assumed power level of E6/E8 though know that Mythic will raise this power level, particularly on the offensive end.
Diffan Posted - 09 Oct 2013 : 19:54:28
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

So, Diffan, I have been reading Mythic Adventures, and I think it might work well with the E6 (or E8) system. What do you think?

Yea, it seems like a great product to start off an early adventure and keep continuing in the E6 (or in Pathfinder's case, E8) style. I'm not entirely sure how the "Mythic Paths" work in conjunction with basic classes (are they new classes, PrCs, what?) but so long as they remain within the realm of low-level, could be very interesting.
Hawkins Posted - 08 Oct 2013 : 19:46:31
Couple of helpful links to get people newly introduced to this scroll:
E6 (3.5e Sourcebook) & Gandalf Was Only a Fifth-Level Magic-User

So, Diffan, I have been reading Mythic Adventures, and I think it might work well with the E6 (or E8) system. What do you think?
Diffan Posted - 10 Sep 2012 : 13:49:53
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Check this out Diffan.

Thanks Brimstone, that's pretty awesome! If I'm ever going to do this E6 thing I'll have to decide to go with the original version, which I think is a bit easier to obtain due to the amount of books we have OR go with a more polished version. Definitly good stuff here and it's a great alternative to some classses that might feel a little light or weak.
Brimstone Posted - 09 Sep 2012 : 15:46:54
Check this out Diffan.
Diffan Posted - 12 Aug 2012 : 15:25:11
Need some direction in making a few more Epic-caliber Feats for popular classes. I recognize that I have to do the Dread Necromancer, Archivist, Artificer, and Dragon Fire Adept but which others do we need?

Diffan Posted - 25 May 2012 : 05:18:33
quote:
Originally posted by Eli the Tanner

An Interesting variant on the usual system without re-writing it. I like the idea of maintaing that realistic sense of the lower levels coupled still with progression.

Have you checked out Savage Worlds Diffan? Your abilities roughly cap out at about level 6-8 in D&D terms with the progression mostly branching outward rather than upward. It has a similar feat-based (they call them edges) advancement.

I have heard a LOT of positive things about the system (and setting?) but I haven't given it a try yet. My group varies all the time and remains pretty small, hence why we normally stick to just D&D (and Pathfinder) because they're often the most popular but I wouldn't mind giving it a try for a one-shot.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000