Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Moonsea Campaign Scroll

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brix Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 15:52:46
Hi I'm running a moonsea campaign and created/collected some stuff. Feel free to use it for your gaming pleasure, add things or comment.

NEW EQUIPMENT QUALITIES

For this campaign I used a low magic level. To compensate I emphasise the use of special materials, and cultural differences with regards to equipment.

Orcmade Weapons
crude, brutal weapons with additonal blades and spikes
+1d4 slashing damage for melee weapons even if weapon don't causes slashing damage, +1 lb., exotic weapon for non-orcs.
Additional costs: Add 150 GP (only valuable for orcs)

Chondatan
- 20 % Weight.
Additional costs: must be masterwork. Add 100 GP.

Sembian
made of rare materials such as zalanter wood or special metal alloys
+5 material bonus to spellcraft check when enchanting item
Additional costs: must be masterwork. Costs thrice the cost of a typical item

Damaran
reinforced, more solid and durable weapons, ammunitions only have a 25% chance of breaking
+2 Hardness, double hit Points, +10 % weight
Additional costs: must be masterwork. Costs twice the cost of a typical item

Tyrran
+1 holy circumstance bonus on diplomacy (not cumulative with other items of that type)
Additional costs: must be masterwork. Add 50 GP & must blessed by cleric of minimum level 5

Banite
+1 holy circumstance bonus on intimidate (not cumulative with other items of that type)
Additional costs: must be masterwork. Add 50 GP. Add 50 GP & must blessed by cleric of minimum level 5

Elvencraft, Ammunition (Quivering Forest)
perfectly weighted, and carefully balanced projectiles or throwing weapons
increased range increment: +10 feet for thrown weapons, +20 feet for projectiles.
Additional costs: must be masterwork. Add 100 GP for thrown weapons, and add 1 GP per projectile.

Dwarvencraft (Dragonspine Mountains)
A dwarvencraft item's hardness increases by 2, and it gains an additional 10 hit points. In addition, it gains a +2 bonus on all saving throws (see smashing an object). All of these effects stack with the similar bonuses for magic items if the dwarvencraft item is made magical.
Additional costs: must be masterwork. Add 600 for weapons, and 300 for armors and shields.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Brix Posted - 09 May 2013 : 10:24:06
I created the coat of arms for Hulburg (Griffonwatch Castle) (with fantasyshields.com)
http://bit.ly/145QuMs
Rhewtani Posted - 04 Feb 2011 : 16:18:17
It's definitely pre 3E. It's more or less meant to take you through, I'd say ... 1st through 6th or 7th. It details the events that took place in Phlan in 1340.

It's not hard to convert, but you basically need to take the "flavor" of each encounter and rebuild it. You're supposed to face a dragon at the end, with two fully armored fighter body guards. So, the PCs need to be of a level that a dragon-fight makes sense.

The adventure abounds with continuity glitches and a lack of a truly logical outline. You have to go through the first few paragraphs of each city section to get an idea of the order things will happen in.

To fill in the gaps I used the novel, which actually creates a little more extra work that it sounds like. It's almost as if the adventure guys took the novel and ripped it up into small pieces and then worked from the scraps.

In the novel, Tyranthraxus is after 6 ioun stones that are very important. In the adventure, every monster and their cousin has a ioun stone ~ in fact, there's a ghost that gives ioun stone away for free.

In the novel, Shal has come to Phlan to look for her master Ranthor, who had come to aide his old firend Denlor. She is joined by Ren, a rogue from Waterdeep, and Tarl a cleric from Vaasa. In the adventure, there's a human wizard who will join the party if they will help her find her missing mentor, Ren the Wizard.

In the novel, there's a nefarious wizard named Gensor. At the end of the novel, he manages to steal the dragon's hoard and the heroes never realize it's there. They don't mind, as they've already reclaimed the Hammer of Tyr artifact, and Shal got here using a ring of 3 wishes, anyway. In the adventure, there's no hoard, there's no Pool of Radiance, and there's no Hammer of Tyr.

So, I worked through all of those issues in my adventure. I actually allowed Shal, Ren, and Tarl to exist, though each had been killed. The ioun stones T was after are "ioun spheres" which are more powerful ioun stones. One of the PCs ran a paladin of ilmater who knew Tarl. One pc ran a wizard who had trained under Ranthor.
Diffan Posted - 04 Feb 2011 : 15:19:29
quote:
Originally posted by Brix

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

FRC1 has always been among my personal favourites, though I'll admit the CRPG didn't really impress me

I was a big Gold Box fan, and played every single game. PoR more than once. Since I played it at the time these games were released, I loved. By todays standards its hard to play them again.

So I'm guessing this adventue is pre-3E? If so, then how hard is it to convert to 3e/v3.5? And what levels does it take you through?
Brix Posted - 03 Feb 2011 : 13:22:50
Themes I used from the novel and other sources

Yarash is from the creator races. The pyrmaid is heavily flavored as something alien
Gensor the Mage playes a major role behind the scene
Cadorna is played as a foppish drama queen, but cunning, and powerhungry. He has his moment in the very last scene when the players killed the dragon and Gensor's invisibilty spells fades and he jumps into the pool (rem
The Black Watch, a Zhentarim powered mercenary group, who acts as Cadornas privat army in the last chapter
Nomads are Barbarians from Leewai, the are in the are because of an ancient prophesy, that is related to T. or some of the other lost gods
Kobold Kingdom is connected to a Dragon
Lizards are neutral, but can be won as allies for one side or the other
and so on...

What alterations did you made to the original adventure?

Brix Posted - 03 Feb 2011 : 12:59:00
quote:

FRC1 has always been among my personal favourites, though I'll admit the CRPG didn't really impress me

I was a big Gold Box fan, and played every single game. PoR more than once. Since I played it at the time these games were released, I loved. By todays standards its hard to play them again.
quote:
and I never liked the novel at all.

I very much liked the novel, but I'm not a native speaker, so maybe the novel sounds childish or something for englisch natives. For me it was fun to read, and I used many themes from the book (see below)
quote:
Out of curiosity — where did you choose to locate the pool?

I adhered to the book, and placed it in the castle. However as Pools of Darkness and available Pool lore suggests, there are more Pools - somewhere
Dalor Darden Posted - 03 Feb 2011 : 00:44:17
I started a D&D game with the Ruins of Adventure as centerpoint for the game...but it is in a holding pattern right now.

Awesome setting for adventure though...
Ayrik Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 22:59:27
I still haven't read the James's Monument of the Ancients adventure; I don't subscribe to DDi so I'm hoping this adventure will eventually appear in print somehow. But what I've read about it suggests that a lot of "blanks" related to PoR get filled in with official canon. I don't think a specific location for the Pool of Radiance is given, though Matt seemed slightly evasive about answering when I asked him.
Rhewtani Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 21:53:49
Ours is in the cavern beneath Castle Valjevo, since I did use the book and computer game to fix up th emodule. Taking a comment from Hooded One and looking for a way to fix up Pools of Darkness, I determined that the Well of Knowledge in Old Verdigris, a pool beneath Hulburg, and a pool in the temple of Loviatar are also at least compatible with the Pool of Radiance in Phlan.

Yeah, if you pick through all of Brian's and Matt's expansions to the list from Ruins of Adventure, you'll pick up that Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul, at the very least, pimp slapped each of those at some time.
Ayrik Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 21:25:17
Each one of us has done exactly that, Brix. Plain vanilla FRC1 is rather dull, but it's superbly well-suited for blending in other flavours.

FRC1 has always been among my personal favourites, though I'll admit the CRPG didn't really impress me and I never liked the novel at all. Out of curiosity — where did you choose to locate the pool?
Brix Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 20:26:33
quote:

Another Moonsea campaigner — well met, Brix!

So that's myself, Rhewtani, indians, Brix, and Diffan. Ruins of Adventure seems to be the most popular module around, though maybe only around Candlekeep.

If you take the module as written, it's pretty lame
BUT! If you read the novel, collect the existing lore, and rebuilt it from scratch, PoR is THE mother of all adventure. With little effort you can make an epic adventure. I DM'ed PoR the third time, and always find something new.
Brix Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 20:22:11
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

quote:

I also use the godess Murdane in that region, as well as well as cults of
Maram of the Great Spear
Haask, Voice of Hargut
Tyranthraxus the Flamed One
Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud
Camnod the Unseen

With Bane fueling the spells?

When you delve into the available Lore, you'll find that some of these (still) have a life of their own. I don't have a masterplan however. Maybe Matt James has one
Ayrik Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 17:37:59
Another Moonsea campaigner — well met, Brix!

So that's myself, Rhewtani, indians, Brix, and Diffan. Ruins of Adventure seems to be the most popular module around, though maybe only around Candlekeep.
Rhewtani Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 15:34:01
quote:

Maram of the Great Spear
Haask, Voice of Hargut
Camnod the Unseen

With Bane fueling the spells?
Wenin Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 04:10:01
Thanks Halidan. Found it =)
Halidan Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 01:49:00
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Hmmm, though I read somewhere that there was an adventure called Cold to the Bones or something similiar that took place or mentioned Glister. Thanks for checking anyways Wenin .

The article is titled "As Cold as Bare Fingers" and it's found in issue #81 of Polyhedron. It was the Elminster's Everwinking Eye article for that issue.
Wenin Posted - 29 Jan 2011 : 15:46:18
I have a large library of the magazines. I'm trying to find the article, as I have a campaign occurring in Thar and would like to see some info on Glister. What kind of article is it? Is it one devoted to Glister? Is it an adventure?

I found mention of Glister in #80 Polyhedron, but the article doesn't go into much detail about the town. During these issues Ed was publishing a series of articles all named "Everwinking Eye" They are all writeups of the lore around the Moonsea.
Diffan Posted - 29 Jan 2011 : 10:58:51
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

I just checked my magazine collection, and I'm not finding mention of Glister in polyhedron issue #88. There is an article from Greenwood on a the Vast within the magazine.

Hmmm, though I read somewhere that there was an adventure called Cold to the Bones or something similiar that took place or mentioned Glister. Thanks for checking anyways Wenin .
Wenin Posted - 29 Jan 2011 : 07:53:42
I just checked my magazine collection, and I'm not finding mention of Glister in polyhedron issue #88. There is an article from Greenwood on a the Vast within the magazine.
arry Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 13:14:54
Thank you for putting up such excellent ideas for us to use
Brix Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 11:16:27
Maram of the Great Spear
Haask, Voice of Hargut
Camnod the Unseen

The following entry is reposted from another source. I can't remember where I found it.

Murdane
Aliases:The Lady of Logic
Symbol: Three concentric circles
Alignment: N
Portfolio: Reasoning, sensibleness, deduction
Weapon: Light hammer
Domains: Balance, Fate, Knowledge, Planning
The dead god Murdane, Helm's lost love, was a lesser deity of reason and pragmatism worshipped primarily by the people of Jhaamdath. Also known as the Firstborn and the Daughter of Reason, her worship rose to prominence with the fall of Savras, and was ended only a short time later as gods reckon such matters, when the deity Lathander indirectly caused her destruction during the Dawn Cataclysm.
Today, evidence of her worship is noted only in ancient scholarly tomes or by reference to ancient temple ruins that can be found in the lands of the Vilhon Reach and other regions that were colonized in the Jhaamdathan diaspora. Maybe sired by Auppenser
Diffan Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 11:00:44
All of this is great stuff. Since I'm running published adventures, I'm fairly certain that Magical items will be more available but when they go up against important BBEG's or even some strong NPCs they'll definitly have some of this on their persons.
Brix Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 10:49:35
Another thing you can do is, give weapons quasi magical properties through the use of alchemical substances: Thus you can use alchemists instead of mages.

Alchemical enhancements
Certain potions and oils can be used to create short time effects for weapons.
Flaming
Acid
Poison
Keen

You can also consider to use alchemical substances against monsters. See also Supernatural tv series how to fight demons, and other monsters

Belladonna
Belladonna is a rare plant that seems to have an adverse effect on were-creatures. The plant is used like a potion and will temporarily protect the user from shapechanger attacks.
Price: 20 gp/use

Garlic
Garlic is well known as an herb for flavoring foods. It also is used to repulse vampires.
5 sp / use
Brix Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 10:37:25
And you can make these materials more rare if you further differentiate between common an rare materials.
e.g.
d100
steel 1 - 30
mithral 31 - 35
darksteel 36 - 40
Brix Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 10:31:27
quote:
How often have you used special materials in your campaigns?

I used them instead of magical items.
The ratio is approximatly:
mundane item / special material item / magical item
85 % / 10 % / 5%
Diffan Posted - 22 Jan 2011 : 14:47:21
So I'm starting my campaign "Heroes of the Moonsea" soon, got the first adventure from the Original Adventures section over at Wiz-bro site and I'm running The Burning Plage adventure (1st level characters).

The adventure starts in some village named Dvarik's Pass (non-Realms) but I'm thinking of placing it in the town of Glister instead. Problem is, there is very little info on the town of Glister so I've had to do alot of homebrew. I know there's some 2e/AD&D info but I don't have access to those sources and I don't feel like paying the $3.00 for the Polyhedron(sp?)#88 issue with the info about the town. So I'll probably just use the Dvarik's Pass town info for Glister and add in my own NPCs including the ones presented in the adventure. If anyone has info on Glister, that'd be really helpful.

I've also got a question for you fellow scribes: How often have you used special materials in your campaigns? Like the ones listed in the Magic of Faerun supplement? I've got a Zhent commander using a Dlarun shortsword (masterwork, +1 frost damage) but I don't want to flood the market/bad-guy gear with this stuff so how rare are these types of metals?

Also, any advice on just general DMing a more strict game? I mean strict in spell selection, magical item selection? Also, a PC wants to be a Zhent spy in the party, so is this a good plot idea or does it spell ruin for my campaign?

BTW, I'm going to use alot of your ideas here Brix, so thanks for posting them
Brix Posted - 31 Dec 2010 : 13:16:59
quote:

Very interesting. I'm going to be running a v3.5 campaign very soon called "Heroes of the Moonsea"

Nice! If you use some of the stuff, please tell me if they liked it ;)

quote:
The Moonsea seemed like a great start for the PCs and I've yet to run a campaign in this region.

For me the Moonsea, Dalelands, and Cormyr are very much the Heart of the Realms. Especially the Moonsea area is great, and not much explored. Check out Monument of the Ancient. It's set in 4E Realms but has some nice lore.

quote:

Plus I'm being very cut-throat with magical items, spell selection, and DM'ing style...

I also try to keep magic level low. Exceptions are places like Lantan, Silverymoon, Aglarond, Thay, etc to inspire awe in the players when they encounter high magic.

As for mundane weapons I use the following rules, that might be helpful for your campaign, too.

First we have masterwork weapons: The item was made by a master smith. Gives a flat +1 enhancement bonus for weapons and -1 to armor check penalty for armors

Then we have mastercraft weapons: High-quality materials were used when the item was crafted. They can also provide a +1 material bonus for weapons and decrease the armor check penalty by 1. In addition materials can have additional effects as per list below

Adamantine
Bone (A&EG)
Bronze (A&EG)
Chitin (A&EG)
Cold Iron
Dragonhide
Copper, Alchemical (MoF)
Darksteel (MoF)
Duskwood (MoF)
Gold, Alchemical (MoF)
Mithral
Platinum, Alchemical (MoF)
Silver, Alchemical
Silversheen
Steel (DMG)
Stone (A&EG)
Wood (DMG)
Zalantar (Darkwood)

So you can have magical weapons and armor up to +2, with cool qualities, without the use of magic.

My experience is that players, become more interested in their stuff, and actively seek out these materials.

When a magic item comes in to play, I always to make it a named item, with a little backstory.

Enjoy
Diffan Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 21:01:18
Very interesting. I'm going to be running a v3.5 campaign very soon called "Heroes of the Moonsea" which involves the PCs completing some minor quests then on to the Sons of Gruumsh adventure. From there, then on to the Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor and possibly finishing up with the City of the Spider Queen modules. I've owned these for some time but just never ran them. The Moonsea seemed like a great start for the PCs and I've yet to run a campaign in this region.

Plus I'm being very cut-throat with magical items, spell selection, and DM'ing style. No easy Resurrections. Little in the way of help from outside sources. These ideas are great for more in-depth info on the area and equipment.
Wenin Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 17:39:24
Nice. Thank you for sharing these.
Brix Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 16:07:00
A Fine Animal Companion

Vaasan Wolfhound
The Vaasan wolfhound is a massive guard and war dog that is today bred primarily by nobles , merchants, and Vaasan Houndmasters (Rangers). These dogs are prized for their intelligence and loyalty. The average specimen stands nearly three feet tall at the shoulder and weighs around 200 pounds, though some large males have been known to reach 250 pounds.
These impressive and loyal dogs generally are of great size and commanding appearance, the Vaasan wolfhound is remarkable in combining power and swiftness with keen sight. They are very muscular, strong though gracefully built; movements easy and active; head and neck carried high, the tail carried with an upward sweep with a slight curve towards the extremity.
This breed is an excellent guard dog, guarding both home and flock loyally. Vaasan wolfhounds will fight to the death to defend their master.
Vaasan wolfhounds are used in military strategy in the Cold Lands. Vaasan wolfhounds can unmount knights or break the lines of enemies. The sight and sound of a wave of a pack of charging Vaasan wolfhounds has been known to cause terror among even the most experienced soldiers.

XP 200
N Medium Animal
Init +2; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +8

DEFENSE
AC 13, touch 12, flat-footed 11 (+2 Dex, +1 natural)
hp 13 (2d8+4)
Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1;

OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft.,
Melee bite +3 (1d6+3 plus trip)

STATISTICS
Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 11
Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 15 (19 vs. trip)
Feats Skill Focus (Perception)
Skills Acrobatics +6 (+14 jumping), Perception +8, Survival +1 (+5 scent tracking); Racial Modifiers +4 Acrobatics when jumping, +4 Survival when tracking by scent

SPECIAL ABILITIES

Loyal Beyond Death (Ex)
If a Vaasan Wolfshound is fighting in direct defense of its master or its master’s family or property, the Vaasan Wolfshound will continue fighting even if its hit points fall below 0. The Vaasan Wolfshound is staggered and loses 1 hp each round, and finally dies once its hit points reach a negative total equal to its Constitution score.

Frightful Howl (Ex): As a standard action, a Vaasan Wolfhound can emit a howl in a 60-foot-radius spread that affects opponents with fewer Hit Dice or levels than the Vaasan Wolfhound has. The affected creature must make a successful Will save DC 12 (DC 10 + ½ HD + Cha) or become shaken for 2d4 rounds. Success indicates that the target is immune to that Vaasan Wolfhound's frightful howl for one day. Frightful howl is a mind-affecting fear effect.

ECOLOGY
Environment Any
Organization Solitary, pair, or pack (3-10)
Treasure None
Carrying Capacity: A light load for a Vaasan Wolfshound is up to 99 pounds; a medium load, 100-200 pounds; a heavy load, 201-300 pounds. A Vaasan Wolfshound can drag 1,500 pounds.
Vaasan wolfhounds are very intelligent and can learn up to nine tricks (see handle animal skill)
Average Price: 150gp (untrained)
Brix Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 16:03:48
REGIONAL TRAITS

a la Pathfinder RPG

Mooneye
The Moonsea region is a harsh and dangerous place. You expect trouble at every turn. You get a +1 trait bonus for initiative checks and perception skill checks.

Vaasan Hound
The untamed wasteland of Vaasa is a cold and weary place. You are one of the tough, quite and stern humans of Vaasa. You get a +1 trait bonus for Fortitude saving throws.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000