Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Matt James

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 05:14:45
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to our newest Realms designer, Matt James. Matt's great work for the Dungeons & Dragons Insider needs no introduction. His "Monument of the Ancients" [penned with brother Brian James], "Clerics of the Covernant of War" and "Goliaths: Giants of War" are all required reading for Realms and D&D scribes alike. Matt is also a co-author of the upcoming Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale, published by Wizards of the Coast.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this scribe.
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fellfire Posted - 23 Apr 2015 : 13:24:59
[1] Ed Greenwood talked about the Bel's Blade and other haunted ships that ply the waters of the Realms over at Loremaster.org, but sadly that post was lost. Thanks go to Matt James for hosting that Ed Q&A as I got some pretty good ideas from it.

Matt, I discovered this quote in one of our more prolific scribes scroll and wondered if you still have this lore archived somewhere and would be able to share? Thanks in advance
Matt James Posted - 19 Aug 2014 : 15:19:48
At Gen Con, someone had asked me about the Drow Trechery cards I designed that supported the Menzoberranzan sourcebook my brother (Brian R. James) and Erik Menge worked on in 2012.

Chris Perkins had asked me if I would be interested in the project and I, of course, eagerly agreed. It's not very common for a freelancer to be tapped to work solely on a non-book project. The cards were designed to have flavor that influenced skullduggery, while still helping an adventuring party overcome various threats. It is distinctly a Menzoberranzan residential trait ;)
Matt James Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 12:49:50
You guys are too kind. If I could have left you all with anything, it would be the sense that we are truly working hard for Realms and keeping them preserved and nurtured. It was wonderful to meet each of you and share in our passion for the Forgotten Realms. It was very inspirational and I am really looking forward to our shared future.
Brian R. James Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 17:42:15
That is the highest of compliments. I hope our enthusiasm for the Realms shows in the writing. Thanks Mark!
Markustay Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 16:15:09
Yeah, you and your brother are awesome - our lunch was one of the highlights of my experience. You guys feel a lot more like 'fans' then designers (thats meant to be a compliment). Your (and Brian's) enthusiasm was infectious.

Thanks for the great time.
tim3kgt Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 04:44:08
Matt,
Awesome time @ the Candlekeep seminar! Thanks for all the awesome insight into FR and more! I also appreciate you and the panel passing around my copy of Charon's Claw. I couldn't be in the presence of so many FR creators / loremasters and leaving empty handed. I'm just glad I had something for you guys / gals to "immortalize". If you make your way through Phoenix drinks are on me!
The Red Walker Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 00:50:59
Matt so glad I got a minute or two at the Candlekeep seminar to introduce myself to you. It was a real pleasure to shake your hand and let you know how I appreciate all,you do.

And I told your brother, the next best thing in the realms next to listening to Ed is probably seeing you and Brian interact. I truly thought we were going to have either and arm wrestling match or a hardcore rock paper scissors erupt to decide with of you got to share what......you were on fire. That goes a long way in telling me how you feel about this new direction. And that makes me feel good. Hopefully next year I can buy you a beer or ten and get a chance to talk with Brian as well.

You guys rock!
Matt James Posted - 17 Nov 2011 : 16:08:34
Though a player-targeted article, fans of the Moonshae Isles will find plenty of Realmslore in my upcoming article. I'm trying to get better at letting CK know of juicy FR articles I write :)
Matt James Posted - 08 Nov 2011 : 23:39:41
Those woods would also have a significant fey presence. There is a bit of a history to them, but I want to flesh it out first ;)
Snow Posted - 23 Sep 2011 : 00:56:53
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Okay, so this is the small forest that someone was asking about on Brian's scroll. It comes from the Forgotten Realms adventure Monument of the Ancients from Dungeon #170. Vercy Wood is located Northeast of Illinvur (in fact, you can see the forest from the outskirts of the village).

I can't add photos to my scrolls, but here is a link that focuses on Vercy Wood.

VERCY WOOD

Vercy Wood is an ancient forest that has undergone many changes over the years, mainly in the form of its inhabitants. Over the past 75 years or so, the forest has been predominately "owned" by a tribe of Gnolls that are rumored to be related to old servants of the once powerful Flind. In modern times they refer to themselves as the Brtualclaw Pack. In 1468 DR, a massive civil war broke out amongst the Gnoll tribe, one that lasted for several years. The source of the conflict revolved around a divide in the fundamental principles of the tribe. One side desired to embrace a more primeval stance when it came to neighboring societies-- electing to conduct raids and provocative actions that were meant to cause fear and establish a sphere of influence. The other side desired to be inclusive, desiring only to live amongst nature and strengthen their connection to primal spirits. In the end, the latter prevailed and the tribe is mostly unheard of unless provoked.

Besides the gnollish influence that resides within Vercy Wood, many exotic and common creatures can be found as well.

More to follow if desired. In fact, I have tons of personal Realmslore from all over if anyone is interested.

This looks exciting, Matt. Vercy Wood is a geographical locale that I've scanned my eyes over many times ... yet thought nothing of it.

Now you've breathed new life into it! I'd be curious as to the other main racial power-players in that area as well (besides the gnolls). Although the idea of detailing and statting-out a significant gnoll community/culture in a given FR area ... may very well be a first!
Matt James Posted - 10 Jan 2011 : 20:26:07
I haven't worked on them at all, professionally (other than MotA). In my home game, there are no surprises or unique adaptations applied to them.
Dalor Darden Posted - 08 Jan 2011 : 19:07:14
Care to share anything you might have penned regarding the three at all?
Matt James Posted - 08 Jan 2011 : 16:21:43
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I'm most interested in anything you might have to say regarding Jergal and the three in relation to Thri-Kreen in the area of the Ride.

Jergal and the three in relation to Thri-Kreen living in the Ride? uuhh..... Brian might be a better one to tackle that. I am not very familiar with the relation between all of them.
The Sage Posted - 29 Dec 2010 : 01:26:33
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Can Baal be a Skulk? I like skulks!
Thanks Markus. Now you've got me thinking that the Lord of Murder's possible skulk status lends itself to the concept of Bhaal not only assuming a human flesh tone, but actually peeling the flesh from his victims and using that to disguise himself.
Dalor Darden Posted - 29 Dec 2010 : 00:53:01
I'm most interested in anything you might have to say regarding Jergal and the three in relation to Thri-Kreen in the area of the Ride.
Markustay Posted - 28 Dec 2010 : 08:24:42
Cyric neglected his duties as god of the dead, and focused on strife. Jergal was all-too-happy to hand the keys to the palace to Kelemvor.

I don't remember the precise details, but at the the conclusion of Prince of Lies, it almost appears as if Jergal had final say over who would be god of the dead (although I suppose Ao could have 'vetoed' it later on).

I'd like to learn a bit more about Baal - he's the enigma of the group. I wouldn't want much more then we got with Myrkul, though - its nice to have some elbow-room with the lore, if you know what I mean.

Can Baal be a Skulk? I like skulks!

I seem to recall something about a few of them in Waterdeep...
Matt James Posted - 28 Dec 2010 : 07:44:13
What do you want to know about Jergal? I still maintain he has remained mostly unchanged, even by the events of the Spellplague (i.e. Mystra's death). He still has his eternal job and is unemotionally devout to Kelemvor, and considering the nastiness Cyric has been up to, it would be safe to assume Jergal is not amused (if he would ever show such an emotion).
Dalor Darden Posted - 28 Dec 2010 : 07:34:41
For me, I'd be VERY interested in anything related to The Three that you have in relation to the Moonsea area...as well as anything related to Jergal.
Matt James Posted - 28 Dec 2010 : 07:18:11
Hi Lady Kazandra! Which would you like to hear about, more on Vercy Wood circa 1480 DR or some other location?
Lady Kazandra Posted - 26 Dec 2010 : 02:45:04
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

More to follow if desired. In fact, I have tons of personal Realmslore from all over if anyone is interested.

I'm eager to read more. Start posting . . .
Dalor Darden Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 23:22:38
Congratulations Senior Matt!

Prepare after finals week to have me bombard you!
Matt James Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 21:14:12
Okay, so this is the small forest that someone was asking about on Brian's scroll. It comes from the Forgotten Realms adventure Monument of the Ancients from Dungeon #170. Vercy Wood is located Northeast of Illinvur (in fact, you can see the forest from the outskirts of the village).

I can't add photos to my scrolls, but here is a link that focuses on Vercy Wood.

VERCY WOOD

Vercy Wood is an ancient forest that has undergone many changes over the years, mainly in the form of its inhabitants. Over the past 75 years or so, the forest has been predominately "owned" by a tribe of Gnolls that are rumored to be related to old servants of the once powerful Flind. In modern times they refer to themselves as the Brtualclaw Pack. In 1468 DR, a massive civil war broke out amongst the Gnoll tribe, one that lasted for several years. The source of the conflict revolved around a divide in the fundamental principles of the tribe. One side desired to embrace a more primeval stance when it came to neighboring societies-- electing to conduct raids and provocative actions that were meant to cause fear and establish a sphere of influence. The other side desired to be inclusive, desiring only to live amongst nature and strengthen their connection to primal spirits. In the end, the latter prevailed and the tribe is mostly unheard of unless provoked.

Besides the gnollish influence that resides within Vercy Wood, many exotic and common creatures can be found as well.

Matt James Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 15:24:11
Cool! Thanks guys :) As for Realms work, I also wrote the Explore Ikemmu article and the Explore Airspur: Villains and Vagabonds articles.

I hope to dive into yummy Realms goodness!
Brimstone Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 08:24:12
I call them the James Gang...
Ayrik Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 07:32:44
That's what I get for lazy reading. Sorry Sage, Matt. Question deleted.
The Sage Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 07:07:35
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Hi Matt,

I'll start off the interrogation questions with this one:

Several times I've seen you mention "the brothers James". You work with your brother? Just curious.

Matt will likely have more, but I'll note that he has previously co-authored D&D material with his brother, Brian, as I've indicated in the opening post -- namely, "Monument of the Ancients" and Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale.
Brimstone Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 05:42:34
Don't forget Monument of the Ancient's...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000