Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Advice on the Bastards of Azoun

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ardashir Posted - 02 Oct 2008 : 23:24:44
Just wondering if anyone has ever actually used this as a background for a character (or allowed it to be used), and if so, what sort of troubles can it lead too?

I figure that while some of Azoun's get don't know their real parentage, they all find out eventually -- and there are almost certainly a few people in the Cormyrean government who know the truth (the servants who placed them) as well as the people who raised them.

Just who if anyone woukd be interested in getting ther hands on one of Azoun's illegitimate offspring? I can see the Fire Knives (for a proxy revenge on Azoun), various conspiracies among the Cormyrian nobility and Sembian merchants ("See, we've got the real heir right here!"), but who else?

Also, what does anyone think of my idea that there are a few Cormyrian Highknights (special agents of the Crown) who keep an eye on the bastards, to see who they deal with... as well as to deal with them should it become needful?

Any input on this would be helpful, as well as whether or not it's been done in any of the novels yet.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dracons Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 23:47:09
I'm not. I'm being honest from my past on message boards. I'll post something, people ignore it, and little later someone will post exactly what I said, and everyone will clamber on it and talk about it. It's just my life.

I don't mean to offend I really don't. I'm sorry if you think that.
Hawkins Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 23:31:26
No need to get snarky about it.
Dracons Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 23:22:16
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Was just browsing the 3.5 archives on the WotC site and found this article:"Azoun's Offspring". Hope it helps (and that I didn't miss that another sage already posted said link).

Oh I already have. But your going to get the credit for it. Happens alot. Even though I posted this very link on the very same page, not that far above you.

I get ignored alot everywhere though. Not a real shock. I mean, it was only 14 hours ago that I posted. Not even a day.

quote:
Originally posted by dracons

quote:
Originally posted by Brace Cormaeril

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You know... we hear an awful lot about male bastards of Azoun...

But technically, a female could just as easily be one.

Has anyone ever asked Ed about that?

There is mention of two illegitimate daughters of the Dragon in a post by THO above, but I am not familiar with any other canon reference to female scions of the Forest Kingdom.

Tavantra Indimber is a female bastard (bitch...?) of Azoun.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20061101a

Hawkins Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 20:57:51
Was just browsing the 3.5 archives on the WotC site and found this article: "Azoun's Offspring". Hope it helps (and that I didn't miss that another sage already posted said link).
The Sage Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 02:55:03
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

Dumb question from Mr. Idiot.

What's leitmotif mean?

A repeating melodic theme or phrase, every time a particular character was introduced. Kinda like the "Imperial March" each and every time Darth Vader came on the screen in any of the classic Star Wars films.

It's a concept usually exemplified in Wagnerian operas, whereby a specific tune or phrase would be tied to a particular character or scene.

In my example above, I had planned to craft exclusive leitmotifs for each and every individual... usually either sexually evocative/provocative -- and have them play each time they appeared in my campaign.
Dracons Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 02:20:59
Dumb question from Mr. Idiot.

What's leitmotif mean?
The Sage Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 01:32:52
quote:

Why didn't we ever have a 'trollop of Elminster' PrC?

I didn't go as far as a PrC, but I once had a *list* for a humour-heavy Realms campaign I once ran. Each name on the list was eventually to have her own leitmotif, but I never finished work on it.
Brace Cormaeril Posted - 18 Jul 2010 : 21:56:53
quote:

I'm gonna guess Hasbro/WotC's gender neutrality clause stops just about on *that* side of the line...
Markustay Posted - 18 Jul 2010 : 21:36:06
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 18 Jul 2010 : 13:50:47
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:

. . .and Hasro/WotC's prestige class "Bastard of Azoun"... I agree, a bastard of Azoun would fit in quite nicely with "mainstream lore".

It's not actually a PrC, but a Regional Background allowing for slightly different Regional Feats and Bonus Equipment according to Champions of Valor.

There is? I thought it was a joke? What's the huge difference?

Champions of Valor, p. 22.

It basically replaces the region, but only changes the Feats and Equipment available.

quote:
Regional Feats: Bullheaded, Dreadful Wrath, Fearless, Luck of Heroes.

Bonus Equipment: (A) masterwork longsword; or (B) chainmail and 25 masterwork arrows or bolts; or (C) two 2nd-level scrolls.
Zireael Posted - 18 Jul 2010 : 09:46:50
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:

. . .and Hasro/WotC's prestige class "Bastard of Azoun"... I agree, a bastard of Azoun would fit in quite nicely with "mainstream lore".

It's not actually a PrC, but a Regional Background allowing for slightly different Regional Feats and Bonus Equipment according to Champions of Valor.

There is? I thought it was a joke? What's the huge difference?
Kyrene Posted - 18 Jul 2010 : 08:15:27
quote:

Dracons Posted - 18 Jul 2010 : 07:54:13
Sorry. Meant to add beardless version.
Markustay Posted - 18 Jul 2010 : 07:31:18
Beard and all?

Poor girl.
Dracons Posted - 18 Jul 2010 : 06:42:01
EDIT: She also looks exactly like her father if she pulls her hair back, and is considered a true blood relation of him.
Dracons Posted - 18 Jul 2010 : 06:40:21
quote:

quote:

There is mention of two illegitimate daughters of the Dragon in a post by THO above, but I am not familiar with any other canon reference to female scions of the Forest Kingdom.

Tavantra Indimber is a female bastard (bitch...?) of Azoun.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20061101a
Brace Cormaeril Posted - 17 Jul 2010 : 23:35:31
quote:

Markustay Posted - 17 Jul 2010 : 21:12:55

Kyrene Posted - 17 Jul 2010 : 08:02:51
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

There already IS a "Brace Cormaeril" - - and his deeds (mostly not yet told in print, but in WotC's hands as unpublished lore, that has been referenced recently at least twice by other designers than Ed) make it highly unlikely that the Cormaeril family would be using that given name much for a few generations.
THO,

"mostly not yet told" implies that some of it has. Where may we read what little of "Brace Cormaeril" has been published, if you or Ed know of course?
Markustay Posted - 17 Jul 2010 : 01:09:52
quote:

Is the Brace Cormaeril... in Ed's notes...

totally amazing?

LMAO!

Okay, I found that funny as hell. I actually think I understand (and identify with!) you now.

I literally Laughed-at-loud - Nice one.
Brace Cormaeril Posted - 17 Jul 2010 : 00:52:41
I spin a dance surfeit with child-like glee, to know that "Brace Cormaeril" is a 'realmsian' cognomen Ed would choose.

The Hooded One Posted - 17 Jul 2010 : 00:12:13
Sorry, can't comment. NDAs are NDAs. I'm just trying to avoid having anyone do a lot of work for the Compendium that's going to be instantly labeled by any Wizards designer (or lawyer) as "non-canon" or "utterly wrong" or some such...so I'm trying to "steer" without giving one word of information more than I should.
However, Brace, feel free to ask Ed in his thread. I'll convey your post to him in the usual manner, and he MIGHT be able (and willing) to say more.
Or not. You'd just have to try it and see . . .
love,
THO
Brace Cormaeril Posted - 17 Jul 2010 : 00:01:34
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

To treat Markustay's suggestion seriously for a moment:
No, let's not have another "Brace Cormaeril" in Realmslore yet. Please.
I'm not talking about the handle used by a scribe here at the Keep, I'm referring to characters in the Realms.
There already IS a "Brace Cormaeril" - - and his deeds (mostly not yet told in print, but in WotC's hands as unpublished lore, that has been referenced recently at least twice by other designers than Ed) make it highly unlikely that the Cormaeril family would be using that given name much for a few generations.
Far more popular Cormaeril male given names are Aldan, Beliard, Dorn, Elend (though that's never been a first name; it's always been a second or third given name), Galard (ditto what I said for Elend), and Rorald.
This comes from Ed's notes. Damian or anyone, would you like to repost this in the "Everything About Cormyr" thread?
love to all,
THO

Is the Brace Cormaeril... in Ed's notes...

totally amazing?
The Hooded One Posted - 16 Jul 2010 : 23:56:16
To treat Markustay's suggestion seriously for a moment:
No, let's not have another "Brace Cormaeril" in Realmslore yet. Please.
I'm not talking about the handle used by a scribe here at the Keep, I'm referring to characters in the Realms.
Far more popular Cormaeril male given names are Aldan, Beliard, Dorn, Elend (though that's never been a first name; it's always been a second or third given name), Galard (ditto what I said for Elend), and Rorald.
This comes from Ed's notes. Damian or anyone, would you like to repost this in the "Everything About Cormyr" thread?
love to all,
THO
Brace Cormaeril Posted - 16 Jul 2010 : 23:54:53
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

I'll be submitting a piece for the Candlekeep Compendium which will detail an alliance between Azoun V and an older brother of his... And how each serves the people of Cormyr in ways only a Dragon could.

Wow, can't wait...

Me neither, Zireal! Now if Alaundo would get around to approving the damn thing...
Brace Cormaeril Posted - 16 Jul 2010 : 22:03:40
quote:

True, in retrospect, I suppose a bastard of Azoun is FAR more believable then a bastard of Rowen's.

Considering the vast canon regarding Azoun's philandering, the fact that 'Bastards of Azoun' made *numerous* appearances in Ed's library campaigns, and Hasro/WotC's prestige class "Bastard of Azoun"... I agree, a bastard of Azoun would fit in quite nicely with "mainstream lore".

Markustay Posted - 16 Jul 2010 : 21:49:05
True, in retrospect, I suppose a bastard of Azoun is FAR more believable then a bastard of Rowen's.

Good for a fan-fic, perhaps, but not for any sort of mainstream FR lore.

You also just gave me an idea for an adventuring company I may try to squeeze-in somewhere. Just a name, maybe... 'twould be fun.

Edit: And I continue to read - and enjoy - your story Brace.
Brace Cormaeril Posted - 16 Jul 2010 : 21:38:21
quote:

Although a son of Rowan Cormaeril might be even more interesting.

Call him 'Brace'.

If he is older, it could even be a bastard of Rowen's he never knew about. You'd also avoid the whole Ghazneth parentage thing (which, while perhaps even more interesting, would engender some strange questions).

I don't think that would be interesting at all, and would really be scraping the 'bottom of the barrel' of fan-fic themes.

But if you *really* want to know more about Brace Cormaeril's heritage... Check out "The Silver Fire's Blade", in the Adventuring forum!

Tag-line: Who is "The Silver Fire's Blade"!
Markustay Posted - 16 Jul 2010 : 21:26:12
Although a son of Rowan Cormaeril might be even more interesting.

Call him 'Brace'.

If he is older, it could even be a bastard of Rowen's he never knew about. You'd also avoid the whole Ghazneth parentage thing (which, while perhaps even more interesting, would engender some strange questions).
Brace Cormaeril Posted - 16 Jul 2010 : 18:45:21
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:

I'll be submitting a piece for the Candlekeep Compendium which will detail an alliance between Azoun V and an older brother of his... And how each serves the people of Cormyr in ways only a Dragon could.
Just a word of caution:

We know without question who Azoun V's parents were (Rowen Cormaeril and Tanalasta Obarskyr), and we know from canon sources--and I'll confirm from discussions with Ed--that there is zero chance that his mother had any other children before (and, obviously, after) Azoun V, this proposed child would of necessity have to be a son of Rowen Cormaeril only, and not of the royal house (or, at the very least, not of Tanalasta).

Still... I'm very much looking forward to it.

Geez, I feel dumb. Rather, the bastard of Azoun I'm referring to would be Azoun V's uncle, a get of Azoun...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000