Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Realms of War: "Redemption"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 10 Jan 2008 : 16:51:09
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for the short story entitled "Redemption", by Elaine Cunningham, from the Realms of War anthology.

Please discuss herein.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 06 Dec 2012 : 18:29:36
ah...okay. Thank you for clearing that up, Sage.
The Sage Posted - 30 Nov 2012 : 14:51:56
quote:
Originally posted by Xnella Moonblade-Thann

hmmm...missed reading the excerpt. If anyone has a copy of it saved, and it isn't agaist any policy or NDA to do so, could a copy be sent to me via a pm or email?

I'm afraid that's not possible, as it was Elaine's wish -- in the aftermath of the excerpt being removed -- that such content no longer be freely distributed.
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 30 Nov 2012 : 13:20:47
hmmm...missed reading the excerpt. If anyone has a copy of it saved, and it isn't agaist any policy or NDA to do so, could a copy be sent to me via a pm or email?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 13 Aug 2008 : 18:27:34
You might be able to find the books you want online--check nobleknight.com.
Kyrene Posted - 13 Aug 2008 : 08:23:28
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Fair enough. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Most likely the story would have had more resonance had you read Ferret's story.

Sadly, that is more than likely not going to happen. I think I just missed out on most of your books, and will have great difficulty getting my hands on them now over here. Thanks for the excerpt, I shall certainly print it out (mass paperback size) and stick it in my copy of Realms of War.

Just to explain, unsatisfying meant "longing for more" not "didn't like".
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Aug 2008 : 22:11:53
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's an interesting excerpt... And it seems to imply that any offspring with only one parent being a lythari would be a werewolf. Can you comment further on that?

No, that's not the implication at all. Starnya is trying to impress upon Ganamede the magnitude of what he has done. Here's the logic:

a)Humans are afraid of werewolves, not only because of their viciousness, but because of their tracking skills. Once a werewolf starts hunting you, you're in serious trouble.
b)Humans DON'T KNOW MUCH about the lythari, other than they are reclusive (read, "harmless") and elves (read, "probably good-alligned"). Not a threat, in other words.
c)BUT! If humans learned that a lythari was tracking humans to help an assassin, they might lump lythari in with werewolves and fear/hunt/destroy them with equal fervor.

As far as I know, there are no genetic ties between werewolves and lythari.

Ah, okay. I was reading that entirely the wrong way. Thank you for clearing that up for me.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 12 Aug 2008 : 21:58:20
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's an interesting excerpt... And it seems to imply that any offspring with only one parent being a lythari would be a werewolf. Can you comment further on that?

No, that's not the implication at all. Starnya is trying to impress upon Ganamede the magnitude of what he has done. Here's the logic:

a)Humans are afraid of werewolves, not only because of their viciousness, but because of their tracking skills. Once a werewolf starts hunting you, you're in serious trouble.
b)Humans DON'T KNOW MUCH about the lythari, other than they are reclusive (read, "harmless") and elves (read, "probably good-alligned"). Not a threat, in other words.
c)BUT! If humans learned that a lythari was tracking humans to help an assassin, they might lump lythari in with werewolves and fear/hunt/destroy them with equal fervor.

As far as I know, there are no genetic ties between werewolves and lythari.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Aug 2008 : 20:50:47
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 Aug 2008 : 20:21:08
Thanks for sharing the excerpt with us.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 12 Aug 2008 : 19:01:14
PS: In the larger context, Elaith's actions in "Redemption" helped to protect Evermeet's hidden prince, the son Amnestria bore him fifty years ago. He doesn't have a clue, of course.

ElaineCunningham Posted - 12 Aug 2008 : 18:55:17
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

It was a nice enough -- if unsatisfying -- episode in Elaith life.

Fair enough. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Most likely the story would have had more resonance had you read Ferret's story. And certainly, it would have made more sense in terms of Reclamation, the novel-that-wasn't-and-never-will-be.

To put the story in a broader context--or at least a different one-- here's one of the events of "Redemption" told from the viewpoint of a middle-aged lythari female. This is an excerpt from Reclamation.

Excerpt removed at author's request.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 12 Aug 2008 : 18:46:55
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

quote:

You can read about Ferret in the Songs and Swords series, specifically Silver Shadows.

Speaking of Ferret, is she a wild or wood elf? The use of sy Tel'Quessir seems to indicate wild, but it's never made clear throughout the tale.

Well, she was created, IIRC, before "wild elves" and "wood elves" were made into separate races. In the Silver Shadows, she was called a wild elf. Were she created today, she might have been called a wood elf.

And has she been created for fourth edition, she would have been simply an elf, as opposed to the Eladrin, with no qualifiers needed.

As RF mentioned, Ferret came into being when wild, green, wood, and forest were different ways of describing the same elven subrace.

The good folks at WotC do like to shuffle the elf cards every now and again.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 Aug 2008 : 18:35:15
quote:

quote:

You can read about Ferret in the Songs and Swords series, specifically Silver Shadows.

Speaking of Ferret, is she a wild or wood elf? The use of sy Tel'Quessir seems to indicate wild, but it's never made clear throughout the tale.

Well, she was created, IIRC, before "wild elves" and "wood elves" were made into separate races. In the Silver Shadows, she was called a wild elf. Were she created today, she might have been called a wood elf.
Kyrene Posted - 12 Aug 2008 : 06:47:55
quote:

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 11 Aug 2008 : 17:05:36
Kyrene Posted - 11 Aug 2008 : 06:42:28
As a preamble, I will say that I have not read any of Elaine's novels. I have read all of her short stories in the anthologies I do own and have also read The City of Splendors. I am vaguely familiar with Arilyn, and a little more with Elaith -- I've also always enjoyed his cameo in Neverwinter Nights 1.

What I do like is how -- much like Jarlaxle does -- Elaith always has a few tricks and/or magic items up his sleeve. I'm not sure saving the day, because of Ferret's murderous mistake, worked for me. Then again, I'm not familiar with Ferret at all, so might be missing some back-story that justifies why she does what she does. Tricking and using the ogres was nicely done, as well as the interplay between the different species of elves. It was a nice enough -- if unsatisfying -- episode in Elaith life.
Alisttair Posted - 30 Jun 2008 : 21:51:29
This was a great story. I could tell that this was written to lead into "Reclamation", so when I was done reading it, it saddened me even more that Reclamation will not see the light of day.
Asgetrion Posted - 07 Feb 2008 : 22:21:01
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I enjoyed it, wish there was more of Arilyn in the story but as I thought, it was great to see everyone again.

Lots more Arilyn coming in RECLAMATION. And even more Arilyn coming in a graphic novel in the Worlds of D&D series from Devil's Due. It's a good year for kick-ass half-elves.

Are you kidding us? Which book? Seems like another title I simply have to buy and also suggest it to our Acquisition and Cataloguing Department (hey, I never pretended to be overly objective when it comes to Collection Development )
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 05 Feb 2008 : 23:46:59
I enjoyed this story, and it made me think about why the story is called "Redemption". This story takes us into the mind of Elaith. We learn of an event that suggests that Elaith is indeed "redeemable", although his actions in the story suggest otherwise (to me, anyway). Elaith clearly justifies his actions with the idea that they are what he was meant to do, and the reason why he was spared, but I personally wondered if that was just his rationalization for what he does.

It was great reading about characters like Arilyn, Danilo, and Ferret again. I look foward to reading about them more later this year.
The Red Walker Posted - 22 Jan 2008 : 18:36:45
I think it's cool that Elaith went from wanting to Kill Dan the first time they met, to where he is so different
that Dans garden is where he feels most at home.
SirUrza Posted - 16 Jan 2008 : 08:51:11
Wow... Devil's Due is branching out from the Drizzt remakes! I can't wait! :)

*scrabbles to find PREVIEW to find out when it's coming out*

Hmm.. February.. starting with Drizzt and Raistlin.

Should be interesting. :)
ElaineCunningham Posted - 16 Jan 2008 : 02:59:14
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I enjoyed it, wish there was more of Arilyn in the story but as I thought, it was great to see everyone again.

Lots more Arilyn coming in RECLAMATION. And even more Arilyn coming in a graphic novel in the Worlds of D&D series from Devil's Due. It's a good year for kick-ass half-elves.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 16 Jan 2008 : 02:55:26
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

I wish there had been more of everything in the story ^.^ But I did like the byplay between Elaith and Ferret. I hope to see more of those two in EC's next book.

You will.
Lady Fellshot Posted - 12 Jan 2008 : 22:29:05
I wish there had been more of everything in the story ^.^ But I did like the byplay between Elaith and Ferret. I hope to see more of those two in EC's next book.
SirUrza Posted - 12 Jan 2008 : 21:18:18

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000