Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Orc King: Chapters 19 - 24

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 05 Oct 2007 : 17:17:58
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Orc King (Book 1 of Transitions), by R.A. Salvatore. Please discuss chapters 19 - 24 herein.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Paul123 Posted - 08 Jan 2019 : 02:57:02
;)
Artemas Entreri Posted - 11 Mar 2015 : 13:11:16
quote:
Originally posted by catsclaw

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Reagan is famous for using the term "shining city on a hill" (to describe the U.S.), although of course he may not have coined the term.

Reagan did coin the phrase, although it hearkens back to John Winthrop's sermon in 1630, "For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill, the eyes of all people are upon us ...", which itself echoes the Sermon on the Mount: "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid."

You learn something new at Candlekeep every day!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 07 Nov 2007 : 02:09:09
quote:
Originally posted by catsclaw

quote:

Reagan is famous for using the term "shining city on a hill" (to describe the U.S.), although of course he may not have coined the term.

Reagan did coin the phrase, although it hearkens back to John Winthrop's sermon in 1630, "For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill, the eyes of all people are upon us ...", which itself echoes the Sermon on the Mount: "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid."

Wow, I didn't know that--thank you for the information.
catsclaw Posted - 06 Nov 2007 : 18:42:04
quote:

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 05 Nov 2007 : 18:29:36
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

To be honest, I think it had more to do with WotC's "points of light" concept than Ronald Regan.

The Orc King definitely has a lot to do with the points of light concept, I just found it humorous to read Drizzt musing about the orc kingdom and/or Mithral Hall and/or the Silver Marches becoming "the shining city on a hill".
Hawkins Posted - 05 Nov 2007 : 16:17:21
To be honest, I think it had more to do with WotC's "points of light" concept than Ronald Regan.
The Red Walker Posted - 05 Nov 2007 : 13:27:24
quote:

Hmm, was Drizzt reading Ronald Reagan's speeches? I was kind of amused when he used the term "shining city on the hill" in Journal Entry #4.

Yes, I as well was surprised as heck to find out Drizzt ( Bob Salvatore) was a closeted conservative

Actually associating that in any wayto an orc kingdom could be offensive.

Should have been "a stinking pile of refuse on a knoll."
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 30 Oct 2007 : 18:01:14
Hmm, was Drizzt reading Ronald Reagan's speeches? I was kind of amused when he used the term "shining city on the hill" in Journal Entry #4.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000