Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Klauth Ranked #5 Most Wanted Dragon (Dr 356)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KnightErrantJR Posted - 17 May 2007 : 01:08:27
An article in Dragon Magazine 356 ranked the top 10 "most wanted" dragons, and our own cuddly great wyrm of Klauthen Vale ranked number 5 on the list. Of course his guest starring role in Neverwinter Nights is also mentioned, but hey, the quote from Ed was worth it.

And in the quibble department . . . once again Dragotha was listed as "the first dracolich," when all the dang map said was that Dragotha was an "undead" dragon . . . I'm just saying . . .
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Darkmeer Posted - 18 May 2007 : 03:17:57
I have to say, the Dragotha thing doesn't bother me at all. I know Ed made up the Dracoliches, much after Dragotha's appearance.

As to the Dragons in the number:
The Dark Sun Dragon made me very happy. ANY respect for the dead settings makes me happy.

And although Blue Dragons are my favorite subrace of Dragons, Cyan Bloodbane is THE best dragon, IMHO. Just a twisted individual, he is. Much to my dismay, he is now an "undead dragon."

/d
KnightErrantJR Posted - 18 May 2007 : 02:59:39
Well, I'd guess that the "no gods" rule would come into play, except that Chronepsis made in on the list (?). It was a bit crowded, between the Paizo/Dragon/Dungeon sentimental picks (which I understand) and the somewhat 3rd/3.5 loaded picks (a dragon from Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, a dragon from Bastion of Broken Souls, and a dragon from the Sunless Citadel all made it on the list). I was glad to see Cyan Bloodbane and Borys get the nod though.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 17 May 2007 : 20:28:21
Hey, KEJr - Where did Tiamat rank? I mean, she was in the D&D Cartoon. Or did she get looked over with the whole "God of Evil Dragons" thing?

<3 Tiamat

C-Fb
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 17 May 2007 : 19:00:48
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

RF, basically is suppose to be a tribute to the most notorious dragons in D&D's history. I will say that Klauth's appearance in Neverwinter Nights is at least a testament to the recognition of his value as a "named" dragon, even if there was a lot more that could have been done with him as far as a plot goes.

Well, personally, my beef with NWN1's Official Campaign wasn't only that they didn't do much with Klauth, it's that I disliked what they did do with him.

Oh, and thank you for explaining the title.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 17 May 2007 : 18:51:44
RF, basically is suppose to be a tribute to the most notorious dragons in D&D's history. I will say that Klauth's appearance in Neverwinter Nights is at least a testament to the recognition of his value as a "named" dragon, even if there was a lot more that could have been done with him as far as a plot goes.

As to who got number one, that honor went to the aforementioned Dragotha. I will say that if you read through the Age of Worms adventure path from Dungeon, he is quite the presense, so I'll not begrudge him his place. I also suspect that since he was a major villain in the Paizo era Dungeon Magazines, and his first stats appeared in Dragon Magazine years ago, this cemented him as the sentimental favorite for this particular article.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 17 May 2007 : 18:41:02
What is meant by "Most Wanted Dragon"?

I hated Klauth's appearance in NWN1. Like the Obloud cameo, it was an instance where the designers pulled enemies out of the FRCS for the PC to kill, no matter how unlikely or nonsensical that might be. I didn't notice much of a sense of respect for the setting in that game.
khorne Posted - 17 May 2007 : 15:01:00
Only the fifth most wanted wyrm? Who's nr.1?
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 17 May 2007 : 11:23:16
The Klauth of NWN 1 was not nearly as impressive as the Klauth descripted in Wyrms of the North (as most dragons of NWN 1 are quite unimpressive ... the gold dragons there are a shame). And by weakening him by the tainted orb he wasn't match for most heroes, either.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 17 May 2007 : 11:00:56
Yeah, to a degree they seemed to have missed the "point" of Klauth's legendary status, i.e. making him more of a hit point factory. The reason I loved Klauth from the first Dragon article on was that he was chaotic in the truest sense of the word. I loved the idea that he might swoop down and help a party of adventurers to amuse himself, or he might destroy a village because he was bored.

Nice to see him get the nod though.
Kyrene Posted - 17 May 2007 : 09:17:20
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Of course his guest starring role in Neverwinter Nights is also mentioned, but hey, the quote from Ed was worth it.

I wonder how many people didn't actually kill him in NWN1. I'm probably one of the few that always had my PC collect the dragon eggs rather. If they were good aligned, kill and collect the eggs from the green dragon. If they were evil, kill and collect or just steal the eggs from the gold.

Needless to say, his and King Obould's inclusions -- and killable options at that -- smelled like gorgonzola.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000