Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New 2 FR novels coming in 2023 (prequel novels)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gyor Posted - 05 Oct 2022 : 14:18:02
One is Druid's Call by E.K. Johnson and the other is Road to Neverwinter by Jaleigh Johnson, who wrote FR novels like the Broken Chain novels (which were great novels about the Shadar Kai).

Mod edit: Tweaking the subject line just a bit and moving this to the Novels section.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gyor Posted - 02 Mar 2023 : 13:15:13
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I wouldn't call them FR novels so much as D&D novels. Sure, the movie is technicall (or at least supposedly) set in Faerun, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them FR, at least at this point.

That said, I agree the Unbroken Chain novels were fantastic (wish there had been more), and if there are D&D novels, perhaps that will signal a return of FR-specific novels (though whether they pay any attention to lore or not remains to be seen).

I read new novels, they are definately Forgotten Realms novels, chalked full of FR lore, so they don't feel like generic D&D.

Already love the characters. Would recommend.
The Red Walker Posted - 22 Feb 2023 : 20:48:02
Read an excerpt of Jaleigh ‘s novel and it feels realms to me. Can’t wait to buy it the 28th. I’ll be sure to share thoughts here
Silverizer Posted - 08 Jan 2023 : 18:00:48
Well I am exited to see any new novels release in the Forgotten Realms.

With all the negativity going on in the D&D community over the proposed 1.1 OGL; the timing of this announcement is good.

These new novels maybe a positive aspect in the change in attitude that WOTC has towards D&D.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 01 Nov 2022 : 23:36:32
I wouldn't call them FR novels so much as D&D novels. Sure, the movie is technicall (or at least supposedly) set in Faerun, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them FR, at least at this point.

That said, I agree the Unbroken Chain novels were fantastic (wish there had been more), and if there are D&D novels, perhaps that will signal a return of FR-specific novels (though whether they pay any attention to lore or not remains to be seen).
Shardnax Posted - 30 Oct 2022 : 17:23:25
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
As these appear to be part of the movie deal, it should not indicate WotC returning to a novel increase policy.

Should they sell very well, that might change policy. Time will of course tell, unless WotC announces something official.

Probably the deciding factor. WotC hasn't seemed interested in doing much with D&D for several years now. If they announce more novels I'll probably look them over. I don't expect much since I'm disinterested in much of the WotC era novels.
sno4wy Posted - 28 Oct 2022 : 16:51:10
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
SIDENOTE: Snowy, it makes me smile to see another kercpa avatar in use.

I'm glad! You were actually the one who inspired me to look for one.
sleyvas Posted - 28 Oct 2022 : 14:05:26
it's sad to me that I just can't get excited about this. I hope that the movie is good. I can say they are putting an effort into building up hype.

SIDENOTE: Snowy, it makes me smile to see another kercpa avatar in use.
sno4wy Posted - 28 Oct 2022 : 02:06:58
Another prequel announced, this time a comic book: https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/dungeons-dragons-movie-prequel-comic-idw/?fbclid=IwAR2c-IjcDe5gTBR7doQAR1u0z3G9kavV_ZjVt3nBwLKujPgKIeOnHoaHhHs
Delnyn Posted - 10 Oct 2022 : 18:48:55
At least this is a much-needed break from the Lord Ginsu novels.
Erikor Posted - 08 Oct 2022 : 22:41:17
They're both prequels to a movie. That's like when Marvel's putting out prequel comics before a movie..
But if enough people buy them and enough people watch the movie and it makes enough money then maybe they will put out more books.

I am a bit excited by one being written by Jaleigh Johnson though. I liked her other books.
HighOne Posted - 06 Oct 2022 : 18:57:45
If anything, we might see more movie-based novels. But I don't think these books are targeted at existing FR fans, nor will FR fans find them particularly satisfying. They're for fans of the movie.
George Krashos Posted - 06 Oct 2022 : 09:16:35
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Do you think this could signal a rebirth of the novel line that was so strong not too long ago?

No.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Oct 2022 : 22:29:42
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

It makes me think WotC is just going to deliberately treat the Realms as a generic fantasy sandbox and outright ignore it's established lore.

And this is different from the last several years in what way?
deserk Posted - 05 Oct 2022 : 22:26:14
I find it a little bit concerning that there's no FR logo on it, while based on info on the movies and the details of the books, it's clearly set in the Realms. It makes me think WotC is just going to deliberately treat the Realms as a generic fantasy sandbox and outright ignore it's established lore.
Kentinal Posted - 05 Oct 2022 : 18:11:48
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Do you think this could signal a rebirth of the novel line that was so strong not too long ago?

As these appear to be part of the movie deal, it should not indicate WotC returning to a novel increase policy.

Should they sell very well, that might change policy. Time will of course tell, unless WotC announces something official.
Seethyr Posted - 05 Oct 2022 : 17:23:18
sleyvas Posted - 05 Oct 2022 : 14:50:16
Just because I was curious and hunted these down... links

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Honor-Thieves-Prequel/dp/059359813X

Description: Every adventuring party has a starting quest. Join Edgin Darvis and his team of heroic (well, occasionally heroic) heisters in this official prequel to the film Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves.

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Honor-Thieves-Druids/dp/0593598164/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3L8WHNJEKHJI1&keywords=druid%27s call&qid=1664977605&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjM1IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&s=books&sprefix=druid%27s call%2Cstripbooks%2C272&sr=1-1

Description: Discover Doric’s powerful druid origins in this thrilling young adult prequel to the film Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000