Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Covenant

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mascifin Posted - 02 Feb 2007 : 06:00:39
I'm considering following up on the tidbit in City of Splendors sourcebook which mentions Savengriff, Prespur, and Grimwald restarting the Covenant.

That said, I'm embarrassed to admit I don't recall many of the specifics on the Covenant. Could anyone give me either a run-down of the available information on them, or point me in the right direction to find it myself?

All I seem to recall is that they are a secret organization of good mages looking to...protect civilization in the North? I think I remember something about them being responsible for saving Silverymoon or some other city in the North from an underground orc horde, or something, but maybe I'm confusing things.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Quale Posted - 18 Oct 2010 : 00:13:55
Not straying too much into homebrew, members of the Covenant explored Sigil's Tower Sorcerous (PSMC II) where a group of the Incanterium, the Grand Cabal devoured heavy magic. They acquired it after destroying Ascarle (elven city atop a lower-planar-barrier complex like Ascore, here leading to a dark fey realm). That also weakened the barriers to Nishrek in the North. The Grand Cabal was turned into a lich-like collective and eventually mazed. From their ethereal prison they managed to build networks of arcane societies offering dark lore by whisperings from a dark portal.

Anyway, alhoon Nalynaul the Shriveled mind seeded the Overwizard Valindra to infiltrate the Brotherhood, but was betrayed by Semonemily and his new ally Vrild (a derro savant, check Cloak and Dagger). They led on Taern Hornblade (Covenant member) on the alhoon. They killed exhausted Taern and infiltrated the Vault to find the original Staff of Silverymoon (that had the horn of Lurue), that the alhoon wanted to offer to the Old Ones. Then it got convoluted with the pcs involvement.
Ralderick Hallowshaw Posted - 17 Oct 2010 : 18:27:19
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

There could be a connection with the Tri-Crowned Kingdom of Phalorm.

In my games they discovered that the Old Ones of Illusk represented the real threat to the North, tracking down networks of Hosttowers across the planes. The Old Ones once wore the Crown of Horns. Grimwald awed the Thunderbeast tribe shamans with his knowledge of ancient Talfiric (Thaeravel) legends and rituals.

This can be an interesting option, indeed.
Can you explain more extensively?
How do you see this connection in current times(i.e. 1370's for me, thus before Spellplague)?
Old mages of the Conevant (now returning from the planes) with the possible heirs of the ancient Kingdom (who?)?

My campaign is more focused on Silver Marches and their intrigues, but the Arcane Brotherhood (and the Old Ones) could have interests also in this area.
Quale Posted - 17 Oct 2010 : 17:09:35
There could be a connection with the Tri-Crowned Kingdom of Phalorm.

In my games they discovered that the Old Ones of Illusk represented the real threat to the North, tracking down networks of Hosttowers across the planes. The Old Ones once wore the Crown of Horns. Grimwald awed the Thunderbeast tribe shamans with his knowledge of ancient Talfiric (Thaeravel) legends and rituals.
Ralderick Hallowshaw Posted - 14 Oct 2010 : 14:17:53
What about a connection between the re-established Covenant (as reported in CoS:W, in Savengriff's entry at p.31-32) and the Triple-C (or Night Riders), introduced in the Orc King by R.A. Salvatore?

Another interesing plot may involve Chazzar Ne (CoR p. 119) and her Cult of the Moon (CoR p.75-76), whose objective is the eradication of orcs from the North, too...
Mascifin Posted - 02 Feb 2007 : 08:51:47
Thanks.

I'd tried searching the forum domain with Google, to cover both the Sages and Authors boards, but I guess it slipped my mind to do the same for the actual site.

Since there seems to be very little canon, musings are much appreciated. It frees up my own musing-time for...*muses*

Edit: Yes, that was exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I think I read this some time ago (mayhaps in September 2005? ), and have been half-remembering it.
The Sage Posted - 02 Feb 2007 : 06:26:00
The Covenant was first mentioned in DRAGON #92 in an article which was reprinted in the Ol' Grey Box. See LEoF also. The CoS:W tidbit features some Covenant lore that Eric successfully managed to sneak in. You can also read some of George Krashos's work on it here:- http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/misc_lore_2005.htm

(Just perform a search for "The Covenant" on September 13, 2005)

Bear in mind also that these are George's own musings and nothing that could be reckoned as anything like "canon" Realmslore.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000