Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 How should I pronounce this?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
maurezen Posted - 08 Nov 2005 : 13:34:52
Hi folks!
I'm a novice here, and not as smart in English as I should be. I was always wondering, how should I pronounce "a" in "balor"? Exactly as "a" in "game", shouldn't I?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 20 Nov 2005 : 19:27:07
Thanks, BM, I was wondering where a name like that originated!

C-Fb
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 20 Nov 2005 : 19:09:10
the word svirfneblin is directly from old norse mythology... so thats where it comes from crennenfaeriebane
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 20 Nov 2005 : 17:04:13
Cool, I'll check that out - I want to see if it's in line with the Draconimicon.

C-Fb
The Sage Posted - 20 Nov 2005 : 13:53:00
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Of course. Well, Dragons are well known for their gift of the tongue. Which brings me to the question - do dragons name themselves or do they keep the name their parents give them? Hmmm.

C-Fb

The subject of dragon names is handled in Ed's "Wyrms of the North" article detailing Lhammaruntosz. See here:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20030326a
Darkheyr Posted - 20 Nov 2005 : 10:00:32
I think there was an article that answered this particular question... Somewhere on the WotC site... Wyrms of the North, mayhaps?
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 19 Nov 2005 : 14:35:32
Of course. Well, Dragons are well known for their gift of the tongue. Which brings me to the question - do dragons name themselves or do they keep the name their parents give them? Hmmm.

C-Fb
Darkheyr Posted - 19 Nov 2005 : 08:36:52
Seriously, I find the various dragon names significantly easier to pronounce than some "normal" names of the realms.

I mean, there is little argument on how you pronounce Nalavarautathoryl.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Nov 2005 : 05:08:44

I pronounce it "CAL-ee-ay", but the name still confused me the first few times I read it.
Kajehase Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 19:30:57
My "at-a-glance" pronounciation would be Ca-lee-hee-ee. (By the way, any chance of getting the international phonetic alphabet as a font to use on the forums Alaundo?)
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 14:45:56
And have you seen that new name for the half-elf in Salvatore's book? I have no idea how to pronounce it - Calihye. Do we think it is Cal-ee-hi, or Ca-lee-hee... anyone have an idea?

C-Fb
BlackAce Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 08:04:20
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Don't call it Old English - Winterfox will probably tear your heart out.

I have always pronounced it "ee-ae-er-lan." Always sounded Elven to me.

C-Fb

I've always understood Æ to most often simply mean I, so I've always pronounced Eaerlann as "Yeer-lan", when asked. But when reading to myself I cheat and pronounce it "Earl-an".
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 14 Nov 2005 : 15:22:17
Die Svirfneblins, die!!!!!

Seriously - what a wacky name.

C-Fb
Darkheyr Posted - 14 Nov 2005 : 07:11:36
Yeah, I got it from Baldur's Gate as well. Annoying, indeed.

Drist... What kind of name is "Drist"?
KnightErrantJR Posted - 14 Nov 2005 : 04:25:13
Don't worry, I never picked up on the Drist/Drizzit thing until two things converged. The first one was that a lot of people were portrayed in the novel as misprounouncing Drizzt by phoenetically spelling it out as Drizzit, and I heard one of the characters in Baldur's Gate saying the word Drizzt in their dialogue. Then it all clicked . . .
Darkheyr Posted - 13 Nov 2005 : 23:32:15
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I know Drizzt is pronounced "Drist", but I mentally pronounce it as "Drizzit".

It isn't Drizzit?

Oops.
Kajehase Posted - 13 Nov 2005 : 22:42:20
Gnomes?
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 13 Nov 2005 : 22:25:05
No problem with that - I still have a hard time pronouncing the proper name for Deep Gnomes - but then again, who names things Svirfneblins????

C-Fb
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 13 Nov 2005 : 22:16:00
I know Drizzt is pronounced "Drist", but I mentally pronounce it as "Drizzit".
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 10 Nov 2005 : 14:45:00
Yeah - like Wooly, I have told every single person I run for that Drow, in my worlds, in pronounced like Bow (the archer thing). Some people like to argue - but then I show them the symbolic door.

C-Fb
Khaa Posted - 10 Nov 2005 : 14:14:54
I still pronounce many things wrong and many "friendly" arguments come from those battles.
maurezen Posted - 10 Nov 2005 : 11:11:13
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by maurezen

Hmm... I'm from Russia, and that does mean something. I don't want to pay anything, I mean:)
But thanks anyway.

It's actually an illegal practice to ask about or obtain TSR/WotC products for free (available as PDF downloads via various P2P software like Kazaa) over the web. The only freely available and official TSR/WotC accessories are those they have declared themselves. See here for the listing:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

If you want 1e rulesbooks, you'll have to pay for them. The paizo.com site offers older editions rulebooks for $4 US. They're PDFs though...

Thank you for this remark. I will do as ye advice.
Hoondatha Posted - 10 Nov 2005 : 01:37:22
I didn't really think it was Old English (or Middle English, for that matter), but rather that what little I've seen of the old languages seem to have a lot of "ea" and "ae" in them, and that someone who understood that language might have a better clue than I.

But I make that distinction because a friend of mine studied Old and Middle English is college, not because I care what Winterfox thinks.

And thanks for your take on the pronunciation.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 10 Nov 2005 : 00:49:24
Don't call it Old English - Winterfox will probably tear your heart out.

I have always pronounced it "ee-ae-er-lan." Always sounded Elven to me.

C-Fb
Hoondatha Posted - 09 Nov 2005 : 23:29:03
In the "how the heck do I pronounce this?" category, I submit Eaerlann. I realized a little while ago that I was pronouncing it "air-eh-lan," as though it's spelled Aerelann. I've tried, but I can't figure out how one pronounces "eaer." Anyone more familiar with old English? How do you all pronounce it?
The Sage Posted - 09 Nov 2005 : 13:02:07
quote:

Hmm... I'm from Russia, and that does mean something. I don't want to pay anything, I mean:)
But thanks anyway.

It's actually an illegal practice to ask about or obtain TSR/WotC products for free (available as PDF downloads via various P2P software like Kazaa) over the web. The only freely available and official TSR/WotC accessories are those they have declared themselves. See here for the listing:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

If you want 1e rulesbooks, you'll have to pay for them. The paizo.com site offers older editions rulebooks for $4 US. They're PDFs though...
maurezen Posted - 09 Nov 2005 : 10:58:33
But thanks anyway.
Arivia Posted - 09 Nov 2005 : 09:07:30
quote:

Thank ye men for answering. And about editions... does anyone knows where one can get the rulebooks for the first editions?

Used bookstores and online, mostly-whether it's in ebook format from paizo.com or such or through ordering online through a retailer that specializes in out-of-print products.
maurezen Posted - 09 Nov 2005 : 08:38:27
Thank ye men for answering. And about editions... does anyone knows where one can get the rulebooks for the first editions?
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 09 Nov 2005 : 02:54:49
All goes to show you we only need one edition! Should have done it right!

C-Fb
Kuje Posted - 09 Nov 2005 : 02:31:00
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hm . . . the original Cyclopedia of the Realms (Grey Box) says MAY-larr.

Odd... But I'll stick with the "newer lore trumps older lore" rule.

Actually if you look at a lot of the pronouncation in the 1e box set and the 2e box set, etc, they are different. Especially for a lot of the NPC's. :)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000