Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Giants and Dragons

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Senbar Flay Posted - 16 Mar 2005 : 00:00:14
Hello Everyone!

I am here to ask a smiple qwestion about history i want to know if there is any information on the time dragons and giants were one of the major civilizations. If I remember correctly they were at there peak before the elves but after the creator races right?Second is the dragon race a creator race or was that the avian peoples?

Thanks again fellow scribes!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 17 Feb 2020 : 05:03:20
Learned Scribe Flay,

This is a big topic that a lot of people, I feel, show a great interest in (makes sense). The long and short of it is that Master Richardson is correct.

Some interesting details though are:

• Elven oral tradition stipulated that there were three
  • Ancient, powerful mages, "played at creating life"
  • Other sources cite four, and others five, creator races

The ancient, powerful mages is the most interesting to me as,

quote:
Powerful mages hurled devastating bolts of seemingly god-like power, leveling armies
and mountains; and like gods, they played at creating life, wryly choosing to release their monstrous mistakes rather than destroy them. To those who made them, the mistakes were unnatural horrors, unlike anything that walked the land. Most died in the cruel jungles, yet many lived and as thought awakened in them they hid themselves from their creators. When the end came at last, it was they, not the surviving creators who seized control of the suddenly colder realms. And so it was that the first of the elves, the dragons, the goblin races and an endless list of creatures of a new age took possession of their heritage. Their creators, the ancestors of the lizardmen, bullywugs and aarakocra, declined into endless barbarism, never to rise again.(FR5, The Savage Frontier, 1988)

The most interesting part of all that is where it is stated that when the end came at last, "it was they, not the surviving creators" who as the "first of the elves, the dragons, the goblin races and an endless list of creatures of a new age" that went on. I know I am going to get mad pushback here, but that seems like humans were somehow roped into it here...

anyhow.

Thoughts?

Here is that URL:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Creator_race

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

Hello Everyone!

I am here to ask a smiple qwestion about history i want to know if there is any information on the time dragons and giants were one of the major civilizations. If I remember correctly they were at there peak before the elves but after the creator races right?Second is the dragon race a creator race or was that the avian peoples?

Thanks again fellow scribes!

Gray Richardson Posted - 17 Mar 2005 : 06:08:54
The Giants and Dragons warred constantly until they established some kind of truce or treaty (according to Giantcraft) but the war had taken a big toll on the giants by the time the war had ended.

Elves came to Toril during the time of Dragons, maybe even earlier, but didn't start to flourish until around -24,000 DR.
Gray Richardson Posted - 17 Mar 2005 : 06:07:54
"Creator Race" is just a term invented by elven scholars to describe those native races of Toril that had the mightiest civilizations.

Usually the list is cut-off at 5 races, and everyone agrees that 4 of the races were Sarrukh, Batrachi, the Sylvan creator race (Fey or Faeries) and humans. The 5th creator race was probably the Aearee (forebears of the aaracockra) although some replace the avians with dragons. As with most scholarly lists,

Sarrukh reigned from -35,000 DR to -30,000 DR
Faeries from -34,000 DR to present in the wooded areas
Batrachi from -33,500 DR to -31,000 DR
Aearee from -31,000 DR to -30,000 DR

Dragons took over from the avians around -30,000 DR to -24,000 DR
And Giants held the huge empire of Ostoria and other giant kingdoms concurrently with the dragons, from -28,000 to -25,000 DR.
Brian R. James Posted - 17 Mar 2005 : 01:48:24
Dragons are absolutely NOT a creator race.

Other opinions may vary.
Senbar Flay Posted - 16 Mar 2005 : 23:26:38
quote:
Originally posted by Mareka

Giantcraft, a 2E sourcebook, gives some information about the history of giants and Ostoria, the realm they ruled before the elves' civilization.

Okay thanks as for the dragons being a creator race i'll just decide on that myself as for the aviaans is ther any info on them(I don't recall? However I may be mistaken)
Mareka Posted - 16 Mar 2005 : 22:33:34
Giantcraft, a 2E sourcebook, gives some information about the history of giants and Ostoria, the realm they ruled before the elves' civilization.
Kuje Posted - 16 Mar 2005 : 02:17:36
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Well, I can't answer about the Giants, but I believe we've established (somewhere on these boards not so long ago) that Dragons were a Creator Race. Or maybe they weren't. You know, now that I think of it, I don't think we ever did decide if they were or not.

One book says they are and then another, Serpent Kindgoms, says they aren't but sages believe they are. :)
Melfius Posted - 16 Mar 2005 : 01:56:42
Well, I can't answer about the Giants, but I believe we've established (somewhere on these boards not so long ago) that Dragons were a Creator Race. Or maybe they weren't. You know, now that I think of it, I don't think we ever did decide if they were or not.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000