Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Luskan

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Skeptic Posted - 10 Mar 2005 : 14:22:42

In the North box set, it is said : "In fact, anyone
who doesn't appear to be pure human can expect to be slain on
sight
"

But.. In a "recent" article on WOTC website about a Moonstar portal in Luskan, they talk of a LG dwarven semi-retired avendurer that run a shop there and take a look to the activities of the Arcane Brotherhood for the Moonstars.

I read the article first, and tough about having my player's to get rid of the dwarf, probably by giving some info about him to the Arcane Brotherhood, but... it's seems there is something strange here.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 17 Feb 2020 : 01:50:50
Acolyte lookatroopa,

Fantastic! Thank you greatly! I love those answers from the Old Mage himself.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by lookatroopa

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe EvilKnight,

Do you, or anyone else in this scroll, have an active URL for that? I'd love to read it!

Best regards,

EvilKnight

Here you go: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3684&whichpage=20

Appears that the URL format changed from "candlekeep.com/forum" to "forum.candlekeep.com" at some point.

lookatroopa Posted - 17 Feb 2020 : 00:43:25
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Do you, or anyone else in this scroll, have an active URL for that? I'd love to read it!

Best regards,

EvilKnight

Here you go: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3684&whichpage=20

Appears that the URL format changed from "candlekeep.com/forum" to "forum.candlekeep.com" at some point.
cpthero2 Posted - 16 Feb 2020 : 23:38:33
Master Skeptic,

I think the brass tacks of this boils down to a few things:

• Might equals right: no one in their right mind is going to go toe to toe with Drizzt, et alia, and even if they didn't know who they are, you have to have some balls to roll in to town with a Drow, a Dwarf, and a Hin when the sign says do not enter. That would give most pause I feel, or, they die. lol
  • The other thing to consider is how politics have shaped things at WotC over the years from 1996 to 2005.

The "reality" of things is that of course intolerance, abuse, and all sorts of nasty stuff makes a world what it is: realistic, sadly. They've been moving that out of their products for a while now which I can understand why they are doing so, but you would never see them put something in a product now days that shows any semblance of intolerance in even the smallest amount. Hell, I think they probably have Manshoon and Elminster as friends to not have conflict anymore. ;)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

In the North box set, it is said : "In fact, anyone
who doesn't appear to be pure human can expect to be slain on
sight
"

But.. In a "recent" article on WOTC website about a Moonstar portal in Luskan, they talk of a LG dwarven semi-retired avendurer that run a shop there and take a look to the activities of the Arcane Brotherhood for the Moonstars.

I read the article first, and tough about having my player's to get rid of the dwarf, probably by giving some info about him to the Arcane Brotherhood, but... it's seems there is something strange here.

cpthero2 Posted - 16 Feb 2020 : 23:28:30

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by EvilKnight

This actually came up 11 March 2005 (today) - This should clear it up:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3684&whichpage=20

EvilKnight

EvilKnight Posted - 11 Mar 2005 : 15:28:54
This actually came up 11 March 2005 (today) - This should clear it up:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3684&whichpage=20

EvilKnight
George Krashos Posted - 11 Mar 2005 : 06:26:00
I think the description in The North boxed set has to be read in the light of the Luskanite mindset. The place is corrupt, filled with power players and greed/avarice for wealth, power overrule everything. Hence, if you are a non-human but are a person of interest to the High Captains, the Arcane Brotherhood, a rich merchant of the city, etc. then your presence will be tolerated.

If you are a non-human 'nobody' then you might be fair game for anyone who decides that the ancient Shoon sport of elf hunting should be brought back.

-- George Krashos
DDH_101 Posted - 11 Mar 2005 : 05:51:42
But even the Netherese did not kill non-humans on sight. While they did not exactly become the best of friends with them, they would not attack an elf just because he wasn't human.

Wouldn't such a policy be bad for political and economic relationship with nearby cities? I mean, Luskan would most likely trade with Mirabar for fine weapons as they are quite nearby each other but then like half the city is populated by dwarves. Then there's cities like Waterdeep and Silverymoon, where a percentage of its population are non-humans. I'm sure they would complain about such a policy.
The Sage Posted - 11 Mar 2005 : 05:32:38
Killing non-humans on sight is an extreme example, I agree. But the humans of Luskan have an inbred degree of superiority when it comes to dealing or relating with ALL non-human races... a trait most likely inherited from the Netherse refugees who resided in Illusk (and later early Luskan) early in the region's past.
DDH_101 Posted - 11 Mar 2005 : 05:09:29
Sage; orcs, ogres, and drow I can understand because of their reputation. However, elves and dwarves have always had cordial relationship with human settlements in that area. The humans have always respected elven magic and dwarven crafted weapons and traded regularly for them. I can accept the City of Sails giving harsher treatments to non-humans or not letting them into the city, but it doesn't seem very likely to have ALL non-humans killed on sight without reason.
The Sage Posted - 11 Mar 2005 : 04:48:22
Why is it so hard?

Remember, Luskan had its roots in Illusk, and the original founders of that center of civilisation in the North were always afraid of predatory attacks and raids from both sentient and non-sentient creatures that resided around them. Orcs, ogres, drow... They're all there. It's likely that such a mindset never completely disappeared even after Luskan rose to prominence.
DDH_101 Posted - 11 Mar 2005 : 03:09:23
Still, it seems kinda hard for Luskan to be a human-only city, especially in that region of Faerun. I suspect that the influence of the Lord's Alliance and other powerful characters made the government of Luskan change their views.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 11 Mar 2005 : 02:45:12
Even if Drizzt disguised himself in Luskan (I don't remember for a fact if he did), I don't recall Bruenor hiding the fact he was a dwarf while in that city, and no one accosted him or tried to kill him specifically because of his race.

Perhaps this is a mere inconsistancy.
Skeptic Posted - 11 Mar 2005 : 00:33:55

Yeah.. I tough about Drizzt so I have take a look into all my 2E stuff, (and cleaned a bit of dirt) and many source book (volo's guide to the north, savage frontier, etc..) say like The north box set. Luskan is a HUMAN ONLY!!! city killing all non-humans on sight.

Maybe Salvatore just ignored this extreme fact.. ?
DDH_101 Posted - 10 Mar 2005 : 23:58:27
Skeptic, well we know this is incorrect, as the Drizzt and his friends have visited Luskan on many occasions. In fact, in Streams of Silver, when they were relatively unknown, the Luskan guards didn't even shoot them down with crossbows. If a drow can enter the city, I don't think a dwarf should have much problem at all.
The Sage Posted - 10 Mar 2005 : 15:54:52
I vaguely remember the article in question, and without having re-read it, I would assume that this is likely an inconsistency between editions of FR fluff.

At the very least, I would say that you're free to choose which ever interpretation of Luskan law suits your current campaign.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000