Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Eltab

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Eremite Posted - 12 Feb 2005 : 07:35:32
I've been wanting to use the wonderful map of Eltabbar at some point in a campaign set in the Unapproachable East and so my mind has turned to including Eltab, or at least his cultists, at some point.

I'm aware of Eltab's role in the history of Thay but have no idea what he actually stands for. What basic abyssal portfolio does he control? What sources are there for him besides 2E's Spellbound and 3.5E's Lost Empires of Faerun (and Unapproachable East to a certain extent)? Has anyone else used him or a cult devoted to him in a campaign?

Thanks in advance.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 17 Feb 2020 : 19:33:28
Great Reader Dallison,

I appreciate that recommendation and information. I'll definitely go check that out. I love that whole Eltab line!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I believe the macguffin mentioned has been explained by George Krashos in his article the Zulkirate of Thay.

And Eltab never really escaped his first binding by the narfelli all those years ago he has just had varying degrees of freedom since then as he searches for a means to finally escape the adamantine binding or perhaps to take the whole of faerun with him when he finally escapes.

Read George Krashos thread in the Chamber of Sages for oodles of lovely lore about Eltab and Soneillon (although most of it is in Champions of Ruin as well).

cpthero2 Posted - 17 Feb 2020 : 19:24:59
Eric,

Quick question as to my interpretation of what Szass Tam did to Eltab....

Do you think that Karl had Szass Tam actually cast a 9th level pantsing spell to humiliate Eltab? haha

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

In Sages of the Forgotten Realms facebook group, Karl Sorrell is running an Impiltur campaign set in 1373 DR. We've been discussing some ideas about Eltab there.

--Eric
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader Ayrik,

Great question. I don't think there is any official lore that says that he was or was not siphoned or compelled, etc.

However, if you look at that long, rich history of Eltab getting the shaft, he gets moved from one place to the next, and always by some form of ancient, powerful magic, i.e. Narfelli circle magic, Mulhorand, Thay. Every time someone let him out to play, it was for an overthrow of some civilization, etc.

At this point, I think there are likely two scenarios:

1) Eltab is just being held for the next big thing

2) He is way too dangerous now with about 1500 years of captivity and the loss of his rulership over the 247th layer of the Abyss, to allow him to go Yamun Khahan on everyone. Dude is pissed, especially after Szass Tam pantsed him in the basement under Eltab, lol. [I know, but just picture that for a second......it is really quite entertaining]

Best regards,

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Ayrik

2E [i]FRA
had a small section about Thay. Eltab and Eltabbar briefly mentioned in one sentence. Tantalizing hints about Red Wizards being able to draw power from some sort of mysterious artifact (or other macguffin) in their possession in the following sentence. (I never learned what this specific 2E-update on a 1E-based reference was about.)

Were the Reds able to somehow siphon magical power or compel magical workings from Eltab while they kept him imprisoned?

ericlboyd Posted - 17 Feb 2020 : 19:23:20
In Sages of the Forgotten Realms facebook group, Karl Sorrell is running an Impiltur campaign set in 1373 DR. We've been discussing some ideas about Eltab there.

--Eric
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader Ayrik,

Great question. I don't think there is any official lore that says that he was or was not siphoned or compelled, etc.

However, if you look at that long, rich history of Eltab getting the shaft, he gets moved from one place to the next, and always by some form of ancient, powerful magic, i.e. Narfelli circle magic, Mulhorand, Thay. Every time someone let him out to play, it was for an overthrow of some civilization, etc.

2) He is way too dangerous now with about 1500 years of captivity and the loss of his rulership over the 247th layer of the Abyss, to allow him to go Yamun Khahan on everyone. Dude is pissed, especially after Szass Tam pantsed him in the basement under Eltab, lol. [I know, but just picture that for a second......it is really quite entertaining]

Best regards,

quote:

2E [i]FRA
had a small section about Thay. Eltab and Eltabbar briefly mentioned in one sentence. Tantalizing hints about Red Wizards being able to draw power from some sort of mysterious artifact (or other macguffin) in their possession in the following sentence. (I never learned what this specific 2E-update on a 1E-based reference was about.)

Were the Reds able to somehow siphon magical power or compel magical workings from Eltab while they kept him imprisoned?

cpthero2 Posted - 17 Feb 2020 : 19:19:23
Great Reader Ayrik,

Best regards,

quote:

2E [i]FRA

Gary Dallison Posted - 17 Feb 2020 : 19:15:36
I believe the macguffin mentioned has been explained by George Krashos in his article the Zulkirate of Thay.

And Eltab never really escaped his first binding by the narfelli all those years ago he has just had varying degrees of freedom since then as he searches for a means to finally escape the adamantine binding or perhaps to take the whole of faerun with him when he finally escapes.

Read George Krashos thread in the Chamber of Sages for oodles of lovely lore about Eltab and Soneillon (although most of it is in Champions of Ruin as well).
Ayrik Posted - 17 Feb 2020 : 19:09:00
2E FRA had a small section about Thay. Eltab and Eltabbar briefly mentioned in one sentence. Tantalizing hints about Red Wizards being able to draw power from some sort of mysterious artifact (or other macguffin) in their possession in the following sentence. (I never learned what this specific 2E-update on a 1E-based reference was about.)

cpthero2 Posted - 17 Feb 2020 : 17:16:34
Great Reader Ayrik,

You are definitely correct. The hilarious (since it happened to a demon lord) thing is that he was imprisoned multiple times too. The first time when he was nabbed in Narfell, setup his own rule in Raumathan. The Witches of Rasheman ran him out of town, caught up with him in the Sharwood, and imprisoned him with a guard....the Everylasting Wyrm (Dracolich, haha). Some fantastic Myrkul folk found him, made a deal to use him again for a 99 year period during which they took over and converted the city of Shandaular into a theocratic city-state called Eltabranar. Eltab seemingly got bored and attacked Mulhorand and Unther, got wrecked, imprisoned again, this time under Thaymount by the then god-kinds of Mulhorand (this dude gets wrecked often).

Eltab was imprisoned for about 700 years or so, found by future Thayans who compelled him to overthrow Mulhorand and they established Thay. In typical Thayan tradition of showing their appreciation, they realized after not being able to dismiss Eltab that they had to control him, so they imprisoned him again underneath what was then called Eltabbar (lol....Beshaba must be this guys ex-gf).

Szass Tam decided he wanted to play with Eltab next, things didn't go fully as planned, and Eltab sought retribution which led to Eltab getting destroyed. However, there was some sort of Narkfelli contingency magic that whisked Eltab away to the Citadel of the Conjurers in Impiltur. That was in 1373.

And now the sad tale of Eltab has been told. We should all take pity on him, haha.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I see this scroll has been collecting dust since 2005. But since it's fallen off the shelf anyhow...
quote:
Originally posted by Eremite
I've been wanting to use the wonderful map of Eltabbar at some point in a campaign...
I recall that the city of Eltab was actually a massive magical binding glyph which imprisoned the demon Eltab.
Each time a map of the city duplicated this glyph it took a small fragment of magical power from it. And each time a map (a copy of the glyph) was destroyed it would weaken Eltab's bindings. 1E Dreams of the Red Wizards described the glyph's power already fractured and diminished enough that Eltab might escape. Mapping the city was strictly forbidden - Red Wizards vigilantly confiscated every map of Eltab (to be carefully secured and preserved in a special vault) and they enthusiastically punished (interrogated, tortured, executed) anyone even rumoured to possess such a map.

Locals could generally navigate their ways through Eltab well enough. Visitors had to hire city guides, many were always available (for a price) but most of these guides earned extra coin serving as informants for Red Wizards (fairly common knowledge, although every guide would firmly deny such accusations).

Apparently this guides-for-hire tradition was useful enough for the Red Wizards (as a general deception, and as a method to spy on travellers) that it had become common in several other Thayan cities - these also outlawed city mapping, at least superficially.

So good luck with that "wonderful map of Eltabbar" lol ...

Ayrik Posted - 17 Feb 2020 : 09:43:43
I see this scroll has been collecting dust since 2005. But since it's fallen off the shelf anyhow...
quote:
I've been wanting to use the wonderful map of Eltabbar at some point in a campaign...
I recall that the city of Eltab was actually a massive magical binding glyph which imprisoned the demon Eltab.
Each time a map of the city duplicated this glyph it took a small fragment of magical power from it. And each time a map (a copy of the glyph) was destroyed it would weaken Eltab's bindings. 1E Dreams of the Red Wizards described the glyph's power already fractured and diminished enough that Eltab might escape. Mapping the city was strictly forbidden - Red Wizards vigilantly confiscated every map of Eltab (to be carefully secured and preserved in a special vault) and they enthusiastically punished (interrogated, tortured, executed) anyone even rumoured to possess such a map.

Locals could generally navigate their ways through Eltab well enough. Visitors had to hire city guides, many were always available (for a price) but most of these guides earned extra coin serving as informants for Red Wizards (fairly common knowledge, although every guide would firmly deny such accusations).

Apparently this guides-for-hire tradition was useful enough for the Red Wizards (as a general deception, and as a method to spy on travellers) that it had become common in several other Thayan cities - these also outlawed city mapping, at least superficially.

So good luck with that "wonderful map of Eltabbar" lol ...
cpthero2 Posted - 16 Feb 2020 : 23:06:17
Learned Scribe Eremite,

Just to keep this fresh, here is the most updated information for this as well! :)

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Eltab

Best regards,

quote:

I've been wanting to use the wonderful map of Eltabbar at some point in a campaign set in the Unapproachable East and so my mind has turned to including Eltab, or at least his cultists, at some point.

I'm aware of Eltab's role in the history of Thay but have no idea what he actually stands for. What basic abyssal portfolio does he control? What sources are there for him besides 2E's Spellbound and 3.5E's Lost Empires of Faerun (and Unapproachable East to a certain extent)? Has anyone else used him or a cult devoted to him in a campaign?

Thanks in advance.

The Sage Posted - 27 Feb 2005 : 15:30:32
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Nice to see Eric back to his teasing best.

-- George Krashos

Indeed.

Of course, I like to see some official expansion on the Conjurers details, since I had to homebrew a great deal of material (based on the information from SoFS) for my Fallen Stars campaign two years ago.
George Krashos Posted - 27 Feb 2005 : 06:53:34
Something to do with adamantine I believe.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Feb 2005 : 06:44:18
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Know you anything of the Citadel of Conjurers, friend Krash?
George Krashos Posted - 26 Feb 2005 : 04:43:16

-- George Krashos
timid kobold Posted - 26 Feb 2005 : 03:34:18
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
It's mentioned in the write-up for the sword Demonbane... The sword is written up in an old issue of Dragon (91, I think), and in FR4 The Magister. That's all I've been able to find...

There is a brief mention of the Citadel of Conjurers on page 24 of the Sea of Fallen Stars expansion by Steven Schend. This instance is just a more detailed account of the sword, Demonbane, that Wooly spoke of. Three Paladin Princes did battle with an army of demons there and it is said to be "an evil site just beyond the Hill of Tombs."

This is my first posting of such a thing. Hope I did it right, adding the proper documentation and context!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Feb 2005 : 23:04:33
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

One hint ... start combing through your obscure Realmslore to find the Citadel of Conjurers ...

--Eric

It's mentioned in the write-up for the sword Demonbane... The sword is written up in an old issue of Dragon (91, I think), and in FR4 The Magister. That's all I've been able to find...
ericlboyd Posted - 23 Feb 2005 : 15:04:45
Eltab has a long a complicated history in the eastern Realms, with tidbits scattered through books like FR6 - Dream of the Red Wizards, Spellbound, Faiths & Avatars (Myrkul write-up, implied), and Unapproachable East.

Nonetheless, I agree, up til now it's been hard to see what he "stands for", unlike, for example, Orcus.

Hopefully "Champions of Ruins" will tell you everything you need to know, in a format not unlike "Wyrms of the North" columns.

One hint ... start combing through your obscure Realmslore to find the Citadel of Conjurers ...

--Eric
DDH_101 Posted - 17 Feb 2005 : 04:11:36
There's some information on Malkizid in Lost Empires of Faerun sourcebook. In fact, the Crown Wars part of the Lost Empires of Faerun exerpt at the WotC site has a timeline that talks about Malkizid.
VEDSICA Posted - 17 Feb 2005 : 04:06:32
I think that we are all waiting to see who Malkizid is.Or at least what....
Eremite Posted - 15 Feb 2005 : 04:29:40
Thanks, all, for the further feedback. I'm going to check out all the references you guys have recommended.

I'm tempted to post a similar question on Malkizid after reading Lost Empires but I seem to recall that there is nothing on him pending publication of Champions of Ruin.
The Sage Posted - 15 Feb 2005 : 04:08:55
Eremite, you may wish to also perform a search in the library as well, for scrolls dealing with Eltab. As I recall, there have been quite a few discussions on the Demon Lord in the past.

In fact, I think I even opened one.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 14 Feb 2005 : 04:14:33
quote:

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin,

Thanks for that suggestion. I have that book but haven't read it. I've really gone off fantasy novels of late but I'll now make a point of reading this one.

By the way, I really, really like your signature!

Thanks, glad you like the sig. I choose it because it really stuck a cord with me.

And yes, do read The Crimson Gold--I found the book enjoyable, and you'll definately come away knowing a bit more about Eltab.
Gray Richardson Posted - 13 Feb 2005 : 08:13:24
Straight from Eric Boyd's exhaustive footnotes to his Mintpers Chapbook Chapter 9 Hall of Mists: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20011031a
quote:
"Eltab, Lord of the Hidden Layer is discussed or alluded to in FR6: Dream of the Red Wizards, p. 17-18, Spellbound: Campaign Guide, pp. 40, 127, Spellbound The Runes of Chaos, pp. 29-32, Spellbound: Monstrous Compendium, p. 5, and Faiths & Avatars, p. 126."

The most info you will find on him is in the Spellbound Box Set.
He is a demon prince that rules over the 248th Layer of the Abyss called The Hidden Layer.
Eremite Posted - 13 Feb 2005 : 07:30:45
Dargoth,

Thanks for your reply. What I should have included in my original post was that I knew about the forthcoming Champions of Ruin but that I was hoping for some info to tide me over until then.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin,

Thanks for that suggestion. I have that book but haven't read it. I've really gone off fantasy novels of late but I'll now make a point of reading this one.

By the way, I really, really like your signature!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 13 Feb 2005 : 06:30:45
Also, you learn a little bit about Eltab and his relations with Thay (both past and present) in the novel The Crimson Gold.
Dargoth Posted - 12 Feb 2005 : 08:39:55
According to Rich Baker Eltab will be detailed in Champions of Ruin an FR source book which comes out later this year

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000