Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Waterdeep Lore: Assassinations

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 17 Jul 2012 : 06:50:31
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone who considers themselves wise about Waterdeep could tell me if there was a period in Waterdeep’s history that was noteworthy for the number of assassinations that took place there?

If there’s no canon reference, would you be willing to share your speculations/informed supposition? Perhaps in the wake of war or strife within the city or after a plague (when human life might be considered cheap with so much death going around)?

Thank you in advance.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 19 Jul 2012 : 06:54:40
Much appreciated, all. If you think of anything else having to do with assassins, murder and the like vis-a-vis Waterdeep, please feel free to mention it here.
Fellfire Posted - 19 Jul 2012 : 00:01:38
Touche'. Lord's Court (?) I have a vague recollection of severed feet being left there as a calling card. One of Elaine's, perhaps?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Jul 2012 : 22:48:28
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

ahh yes, the Shadow Thieves modus operandi of de-feeting their enemies is a priceless piece of Realmslore

Cheers

Damian

Ouch, that's bad! I salute you!
crazedventurers Posted - 18 Jul 2012 : 20:25:04
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Or just after the Shadow Thieves were exiled, before they accepted defeat

ahh yes, the Shadow Thieves modus operandi of de-feeting their enemies is a priceless piece of Realmslore

Cheers

Damian
Quale Posted - 18 Jul 2012 : 08:56:05
Or just after the Shadow Thieves were exiled, before they accepted defeat
Fellfire Posted - 17 Jul 2012 : 12:49:26
There is a period mentioned in Elaine's book, Dream Spheres, during which the noble families openly warred with one another. I'd have to reread it for more details. I think I recall tren being used as assassins historically . Might be a place to start some research or a good excuse to revisit a great book.
Gary Dallison Posted - 17 Jul 2012 : 09:40:41
Not saying i am learned or wise in anything, but looking at the history i have on Waterdeep i think there are two periods that might fit what you are looking for.
The first is a bit thin and would be from around 1026 until 1032 when the Warlord Raurlor came to rule Waterdeep and turned the city into a garrison town for his vision of the Empire of the North. It says he brooked no dissent from the populace so one can only assume he was harsh in punishing those who spoke out against him.

A better fit is the time of the Guildmasters 1256-1273 DR. All but two lords of Waterdeep were assassinated by the guildmasters in the wake of Aghairon's death. There was no effective governance as the ruling group of guildmasters bickered constantly. The Shadow Thieves gained a foothold in the city again so one can only assume the law was nonexistant or in the pocket of the guildmasters and therefore only concerned in protecting/enforcing their interests. The people were at the mercy of the scheming rulers who did whatever they could to stay rich and in power.

The Guildmasters era sounds like the time period you want.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000