Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Question about books.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dracons Posted - 23 Nov 2010 : 23:31:24
I know that Wizards just love their 4th edition setting of Forgotten Realms, and that's why bulk of novels are going to be that.

Is there a chance that prespellplague books are still going to be released though? Or is that just a closed book. I'd like to read about alot of the characters we have now, rather then have to learn and like a new batch of characters in a completely alien world.
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dracons Posted - 01 Dec 2010 : 04:34:15
o_O Your a writer Dennis? What have ya wrote?
Dennis Posted - 01 Dec 2010 : 01:17:27
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Maybe you should try bribing her with a written tale of your own?

Elaine avoids reading non-published material.

My Anvil-published material are all for Young Adult. Some erotic ones, too; but under a different name and by a different publisher.

Haven't tried writing about the Realms. Nor do I have any plans.
The Sage Posted - 30 Nov 2010 : 23:47:36
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

An example: Elaine's novel about Elaith was cancelled because it was pre-SP. She was supposed to finish it before WotC made the edition shift.
Do you have a citation for that assertion? Because I for one haven't heard that.

If we're talking about Reclamation, I was under the impression she ended up shelving that project because it just wasn't working and didn't fit with the updates from 3e and 3.5e.

Cheers

That was what Elaine herself said.

Here's the relevant details:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10898
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Nov 2010 : 23:18:29
A pity. I've loved all of her work so far...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Nov 2010 : 23:07:17
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

An example: Elaine's novel about Elaith was cancelled because it was pre-SP. She was supposed to finish it before WotC made the edition shift.
Do you have a citation for that assertion? Because I for one haven't heard that.

If we're talking about Reclamation, I was under the impression she ended up shelving that project because it just wasn't working and didn't fit with the updates from 3e and 3.5e.

Cheers

That was what Elaine herself said.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 30 Nov 2010 : 22:30:59
To answer the OP, YES.

Now that said, AFAIK, WotC's strategy at the moment is to set novels in the 1479-era. Flashbacks and tie-ins are fare game, and lots of characters show up from the past, whether through long lives, time travel, stasis, etc.

However, that's their strategy RIGHT NOW. That doesn't mean it won't change in the future, so yeah, there is definitely a chance. Who knows?

quote:

Cheers
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Nov 2010 : 12:55:29
quote:

Elaine avoids reading non-published material.
Ayrik Posted - 30 Nov 2010 : 11:10:36
Dennis Posted - 24 Nov 2010 : 09:14:39
I think I once asked Elaine if she'd love to write a novel or a trilogy about the Shadovar; and she said something like she would as she finds them interesting...But my memory is cloudy, so it might be someone else who asked her about it; or I might have asked a different author.
Ayrik Posted - 24 Nov 2010 : 08:56:14
So maybe in a perfect world ... PSK should write a brooding treacherous Menzo novel and Elaine can write about complex inhumanities of the shadovar. RLB can write a wormy weave of Imaskaran plots, and Ed can do what Ed always does best and write about Myth Drannor. Somebody new can cut his/her teeth writing about Netheril, hard to fumble because the RSE is already well known, accepted, and expected.
Dennis Posted - 24 Nov 2010 : 08:11:39
I've always liked RLB's twist-laden plots.

EC would be fine, too. She'll definitely further 'humanize' the Shades. At least Brennus, Telamont, and Rivalen.
Ayrik Posted - 24 Nov 2010 : 07:35:41
PSK has demonstrated mastery over this sort of talespinning, it's probably (rightfully) attributed as "his" lore more than as anyone else's. I'm a little ambivalent towards RLB, though it'd be interesting to see another author's expressions on this theme. I'd really like to see EC try her hand at this (if only for a short story, at least), though I find her stories tend more towards complex character interactions than manly magical death blasting, which would make her style more challenging in regards to fathoming the depths of inhuman shadovar.
Dennis Posted - 24 Nov 2010 : 07:00:00
quote:

And I just can't get enough of Netheril. Although a book describing Shade drifting through shadow might fill this gap well enough.

Indeed. And I'd like PSK to pen it, or RLB.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 24 Nov 2010 : 06:53:27
I'd love to see a book about the founding of Menzo, too. Maybe detailing the rise of the Baenre... I can see Elaine or RAS doing one.
Ayrik Posted - 24 Nov 2010 : 06:45:54
And I just can't get enough of Netheril. Although a book describing Shade drifting through shadow might fill this gap well enough.
Dennis Posted - 24 Nov 2010 : 05:33:34
I'd also like to read MORE about Imaskari. 'Tis strange that not even a single novel in the old editions was set in that empire.

Oh, no...Sage, your naughty gremlins are loose again. I've already tried several spell-traps, but they're simply too quick and many.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 24 Nov 2010 : 05:20:14
A book set before or during the fall of Myth Drannor would be nice. Penned by either Ed or Elaine, of course.
Dennis Posted - 24 Nov 2010 : 05:14:12
quote:
Originally posted by Dracons

I know that Wizards just love their 4th edition setting of Forgotten Realms, and that's why bulk of novels are going to be that.

Is there a chance that prespellplague books are still going to be released though? Or is that just a closed book. I'd like to read about alot of the characters we have now, rather then have to learn and like a new batch of characters in a completely alien world.

NO. An example: Elaine's novel about Elaith was cancelled because it was pre-SP. She was supposed to finish it before WotC made the edition shift.

Personally, I'd like to see a couple of pre-SP novels. Specially set during the Arcane Age.
Ayrik Posted - 24 Nov 2010 : 02:33:15
And the mysterious magic of the land which somehow sustains trusty old fixtures like Mirt through a dozen decades of hardship, gaining a few too many extra pounds and unbelievable tales but otherwise entirely unscathed.

There's also D&D mechanisms like Resurrection (or undeath), time travel, planar travel, and simple omnipotent divine fiat. All sorts of ways to keep people around or bring them back, not just live vicariously through their children's children.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 24 Nov 2010 : 00:48:53
Thank goodness for long-lived/vitually immortal characters then, eh? ;)
The Sage Posted - 24 Nov 2010 : 00:05:59
The general consensus on pre-Spellplague fiction is "no." Aside from flashbacks or scenes in post-Spellplague novels that feature tidbits about the past, most current and future fiction is/will be set at or after the 4e time-jump.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000