Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Inaccurcies of 4ED (Shade Princes) *SPOILERS*

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Noxica Posted - 03 Oct 2010 : 19:23:13
NOTE:

*HUGE SPOILERS*

In the return of the archwizards novel series by Troy Denning (Amazing Book), Two princes were known to be killed, Melegaunt (whose essence is absorbed into Galeron but still considered quite dead at the hands of Wulgreth) and Escanor.

The 4th Edition FRCG states on page 260 that Melegaunt is very much alive. They also mention Rivalen as being the chosen of Shar and dubbing the name Shadar-Kai, placing the context of this article AFTER spell fire and after Denning's books.

How did Melegaunt come back to life? Is there something I am missing?

Also, seems Escanor is not mentioned at all, meaning he is still quite dead.

quote:

Brennus, Faould,
Lamorak, Melegaunt, and the identical twins Mattick
and Vattick manage various government functions.

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 06 Oct 2010 : 15:34:42
quote:
Originally posted by Noxica

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
But as I recall there came a point when Telamont could tolerate the insult no more and warned the annoying elf that if he should go further, Telamont would disregard his usefulness and kill him forthwith. Or something along those lines.

This could just have been an empty threat. We will never know for sure. He knew that Galeron wanted to save vala so maybe he would have held his tongue. I believe that is when the Sharn showed up.

Maybe not. Although he had never (yet) carried out his threats as those people he threatened were cowed by him, his sons included. In Galaeron's case, he didn't really have to kill him to make a point. He could simply manipulate the elf's shadow-self to torment him till he begged for mercy and promised to 'behave.'

quote:

Another note about these swords. Although they are fairly strong, there is a few things to note.
- First, each of the swords actually has a small curse with it as well, the swords are not perfect and the users actually tend to slowly be overcome with personality or physical flaws such as overwhelming greed or becoming crazed ect..

- Another thing is they have been passed through generations of families and can only be used by that bloodline, the swords likely have become stronger as this ritual has continued over and over. (No canon to support this fact but it seems to be implied as they weren't as strong when Melegaunt first created them, missing certain abilities ect..)

Moreover, the darkswords are helpful tools for diviners who use shadow magic, for it either augments or makes divination easy to perform.

Noxica Posted - 06 Oct 2010 : 14:36:00
quote:
But as I recall there came a point when Telamont could tolerate the insult no more and warned the annoying elf that if he should go further, Telamont would disregard his usefulness and kill him forthwith. Or something along those lines.

This could just have been an empty threat. We will never know for sure. He knew that Galeron wanted to save vala so maybe he would have held his tongue. I believe that is when the Sharn showed up.

EDIT

Another note about these swords. Although they are fairly strong, there is a few things to note.
- First, each of the swords actually has a small curse with it as well, the swords are not perfect and the users actually tend to slowly be overcome with personality or physical flaws such as overwhelming greed or becoming crazed ect..

- Another thing is they have been passed through generations of families and can only be used by that bloodline, the swords likely have become stronger as this ritual has continued over and over. (No canon to support this fact but it seems to be implied as they weren't as strong when Melegaunt first created them, missing certain abilities ect..)

- Lastly, Do you have a reference for the supposed +5 magic blades of doom?
Kno Posted - 06 Oct 2010 : 13:51:52
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Reading further in this thread, I now know I have read of Melevaunt, if it is the same one that encountered those Vassan barbarians. One of those quirky little FR stories that don't appear to have much connection to previously established lore.

How many other characters that lived on the shade enclave are fleshed out in great detail? Given that Melegaunt hasn't visited the realms since Netheril times, It makes sense we wouldn't hear about him until that story, That story also ties into Return of the Archwizards which takes place many many years later.

That story was trying to create lore for a character we didn't know about because they haven't lived on Toril for a long time.

quote:
One last commentary - when every group and its brother creates a 'special set of swords', guess what? They ain't so special anymore. 'Unnecessary redundancy' at its finest. If you like what someone else did, then use it, don't make your own version - its just cheesy (and wreaks of 'one-upmanship'). At the very least, make it something other then swords - how boring can you get? Netherease Archmages were known for their use of sceptres, NOT swords.

I was almost ready to read this series - thanks for reminding me why I've been avoiding it.

The swords are made of glass and imbued with shadow energy, For the populace of the shade enclave they are not new or extremely special, they are just products of living in the shadow plane.

+5 swords with extra special powers
Alisttair Posted - 06 Oct 2010 : 12:06:17
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I am unfamiliar with "How the Mighty Are Fallen", but does the Lichdom has anything to do with the actual plan? And I did something similar, but instead the Princes found a way to bring Karsus back to life (he's turned into a statue and is in his fallen city's ruin). They then tried to cast the spell using the Shadow Weave instead, which Shar managed to clean of Mystra's Ban. BTW, it turns out Karsus didn't co-operate, having realised that no man should hold such power.

As for Lamorak, I don't know anything more than his small entry in Lords of Darkness.

Thanks! I'll look in that book. I like the idea of the use of the Shadow Weave - I'll incorporate that somehow in his "attempted theft". The Lich thing in How the Mighty are Fallen I'm tweaking a bit to fit in to this whole angle I'm making to serve the campaign. Also, in the campaign, the spellplague freed Karsus' mortal shell, and he seeks to regain his divinity at the same time and take over the unclaimed portfolio of magic - I'm thinking perhaps Curuvar "the Brazen" is actually Karsus, seeking Netherese artifacts to aid him in doing so...
Dennis Posted - 06 Oct 2010 : 06:04:54
quote:

quote:

Maybe you mean Darksword. I read that short story long time ago, and fortunately still remember almost all that happened in it. It only chronicles how Melegaunt recruited servants (the Vaasans) by creating darkswords to rid their village of vile creatures. I don't think there's any mention of Escanor being killed by a darksword. Or maybe you just meant that the details on Melegaunt creating that kind of sword is in that story?

Melegaunt creates the darksword, Then vala kills Escanor.

I think you're mixing the events from two separate stories. The details on how Melegaunt created the shadow-magic-imbued swords are in the short story Darksword in the Realms of Shadow anthology, while the scene featuring Vala's attempt (she wasn't successful, by the way) to kill Escanor is either in book 2 or 3 of RotA. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it atm. But I'll try later.

Dennis Posted - 06 Oct 2010 : 06:00:52
quote:

My problem wasn't so much with Melegaunt, but rather the group of barbarians he encountered (it didn't make much sense IMHO). The mud-monsters were kinda cool, though.

As for the swords - Gotcha. Like I said, my ONLY encounter with any of this lore is through that one short story, which for me, seems to be just 'floating in the air'. Thank you for the explanation about the swords - I had thought the were like a Netherease version of the Elfblades.

Still... FR has enough special swords - you can pretty-much find a sword-artifact under any rock. Cormyr's got 'em, Impiltur's got 'em...

<insert massive yawn here>

'Special swords' aren't just a trope, they are beaten-to-death trope. Sword of Truth, Sword of Shanarra, Sword of Damocles, ect, ect... and of course Excalibur. Just for once, I'd like to see a damn spear, or an axe stuck in a rock.

I am not a fan of swords. I am biased to wizards; and wizards do not have to use swords but rather wield wands, staffs, or mere hands. But I think I have to point this out: maybe you're forgetting that the other name for 'fantasy' genre is 'sword and sorcery.' In FR alone, there are a plethora of the so-called special/magical swords ----the two swords of Drizz't; Weaveshear of Cale; Crackletogue of Zaranda Star, etc. If 'rich man meets poor woman' and 'marry happily ever after' are the cliché of romance books; swords and sorcery are for fantasy. So a friendly advice: might as well get used to it.
Dennis Posted - 06 Oct 2010 : 05:45:08
quote:

I can definitely see where you are coming from. I think swords just have such a strong stigma and mesh so well with symbolism that they make natural choices for artifacts.

The Shades could have used spear-staff ---the one used by Aoth Fezim. A sharp blade on one end, and a hard staff on the other ---both magical and highly effective in aerial battle.

quote:

Also: Brace I love your explanation of why Galeron was allowed to insult the Lord Shadow over and over and still be spared. It could be that they knew he had Melegaunts essence and were more worried about that then the Phaerimm Information he could provide.

Noxica Posted - 06 Oct 2010 : 02:24:08
quote:

My problem wasn't so much with Melegaunt, but rather the group of barbarians he encountered (it didn't make much sense IMHO). The mud-monsters were kinda cool, though.

As for the swords - Gotcha. Like I said, my ONLY encounter with any of this lore is through that one short story, which for me, seems to be just 'floating in the air'. Thank you for the explanation about the swords - I had thought the were like a Netherease version of the Elfblades.

Still... FR has enough special swords - you can pretty-much find a sword-artifact under any rock. Cormyr's got 'em, Impiltur's got 'em...

'Special swords' aren't just a trope, they are beaten-to-death trope. Sword of Truth, Sword of Shanarra, Sword of Damocles, ect, ect... and of course Excalibur. Just for once, I'd like to see a damn spear, or an axe stuck in a rock.

I can definitely see where you are coming from. I think swords just have such a strong stigma and mesh so well with symbolism that they make natural choices for artifacts.

Fishermen catch trout with a barbed spear.. Knight saves a princess with a sword. Which one would you rather enchant with godly powers. *shrugs*

What did you dislike about the barbarians? He ran across barbarians in Vaasa.. What are the odds? (pretty damn good)

Also: Brace I love your explanation of why Galeron was allowed to insult the Lord Shadow over and over and still be spared. It could be that they knew he had Melegaunts essence and were more worried about that then the Phaerimm Information he could provide.
Markustay Posted - 06 Oct 2010 : 00:39:49

Noxica Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 21:58:53
quote:
Reading further in this thread, I now know I have read of Melevaunt, if it is the same one that encountered those Vassan barbarians. One of those quirky little FR stories that don't appear to have much connection to previously established lore.

How many other characters that lived on the shade enclave are fleshed out in great detail? Given that Melegaunt hasn't visited the realms since Netheril times, It makes sense we wouldn't hear about him until that story, That story also ties into Return of the Archwizards which takes place many many years later.

That story was trying to create lore for a character we didn't know about because they haven't lived on Toril for a long time.

quote:
One last commentary - when every group and its brother creates a 'special set of swords', guess what? They ain't so special anymore. 'Unnecessary redundancy' at its finest. If you like what someone else did, then use it, don't make your own version - its just cheesy (and wreaks of 'one-upmanship'). At the very least, make it something other then swords - how boring can you get? Netherease Archmages were known for their use of sceptres, NOT swords.

I was almost ready to read this series - thanks for reminding me why I've been avoiding it.

The swords are made of glass and imbued with shadow energy, For the populace of the shade enclave they are not new or extremely special, they are just products of living in the shadow plane.
Dennis Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 21:10:44
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

You guys are discussing this as if the personalities of these characters were given much thought. Rebuilding his empire, ''Most High'' never had an empire.

I disagree, though it is true that not all 12 sons were covered in the novels, those who were had personalities. And while Netheril never was Telamont's empire per se, he his one of the few survivors who wishes to rebuild it. If he ever managed that, it would be 'his' empire (or Shar's I guess).

I'm with you, Kilvan. Besides, Kno, if you read the entire Twilight War trilogy, you'd know that at least Telamont, Rivalen and Brennus were given enough personalities by Paul.
Dennis Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 21:07:22
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

At the end of the second book in Tilverton

Possibly. Another "assumed" death of the said prince. But then, he never "actually" died. Here's the scene from The Siege:

quote:

Vangerdahast's weary arms came up, wrapping themselves around the skeletal body, and he uttered a familiar command word. They vanished in a sizzle of teleport magic—

—and Rivalen's raspy voice erupted in anguish on the orb-lit patio. Galaeron spun around to find the prince—or, rather, the prince's ribs and heart—erupting into golden flame as Vangerdahast tried to push the black thing into the inky darkness creeping toward them both. Galaeron was there in a leap, arriving heels first to kick Rivalen over the edge. The ribs and heart vanished, burning, into black nothingness—and Vangerdahast started after them, suddenly spinning around on his back, sleeve stretching over his head into darkness.

The words I highlighted seem to say that he teleported to whatever refuge he had.

Kilvan Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 21:06:29
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

You guys are discussing this as if the personalities of these characters were given much thought. Rebuilding his empire, ''Most High'' never had an empire.

I disagree, though it is true that not all 12 sons were covered in the novels, those who were had personalities. And while Netheril never was Telamont's empire per se, he his one of the few survivors who wishes to rebuild it. If he ever managed that, it would be 'his' empire (or Shar's I guess).
Kno Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 20:59:40
Dennis Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 20:54:06
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Brace Cormaeril
We know that Telamont Tanthul has the resources to return his son from the dead. We also are given the impression, in my opinion, in RotAW that The Most High genuinely cares for his children.

I agree, but he is also shown as the stern father, kinda like the Steward of Gondor in LotR with his 'Return victorious, or return not at all' attitude with his sons. It is also revealed in the Twilight War how much he hates Rivalen (and why, which is a darn good reason).

He cares for his sons, alright. But nothing is more important to him than rebuilding his empire. Remember that scene in Shadowrealm where he threatened to kill Brennus (his and his wife's favorite son) if the prince tried in any way to slay Rivalen, whom - despite his hatred - considered a highly valuable tool. Brennus asked, "All this for the empire, Most High?" And Telamont simply said, "What else is there?" (If there's anyone more human than shade among the royal family, 'tis Brennus...)
Kno Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 20:19:40
At the end of the second book in Tilverton
Kilvan Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 20:18:16
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Rivalen was killed by Vangey

Can you tell us when that happenned? Because as dennis quoted earlier:

quote:
from The Summoning

As he approached his tower, a half dozen murky figures stepped out of the shadows and arrayed themselves before the entrances. There was the hornhelmed one called Rivalen, a square-chinned one in wizard robes, a cleric with a face as round as a dark moon, and three more swaddled in dark tabards that might have been covering armor or mere flesh.

Like all good assassins, they wasted no time with preliminaries. The square-chinned
wizard took the lead, launching himself straight at Elminster, his dark fingers already flashing through a spell to dismiss his foe's magic shields. Elminster countered with his own dispelling enchantment, and Storm sent a ball of silver fire over his shoulder toward the wizard.

Elminster had a bare moment to wonder if that was a good idea, then the sphere of blazing raw magic struck the shadow mage's spell shield. Instead of blasting through the barrier, as it would have any normal protection, the silver fire spread over the wizard's shadowy shield, silhouetting his body in white radiance. The shadow mage howled and covered his eyes, then the silver fire imploded, crushing the fellow in its iron grip and shrinking to a brilliant orb barely the size of an eyeball.

And considering that Rivalen is the strongest of the 12 sons, and that stats-wise he's twice the character level of Vangey (I know novels don't take stats into consideration, much), it is fair to assume that Vangey couldn't have killed him, but El could. I just can't remember Vangey encountering, much less defeating, Rivalen.
Kno Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 19:55:51
Rivalen was killed by Vangey
Kilvan Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 19:35:19
quote:
Originally posted by Brace Cormaeril
We know that Telamont Tanthul has the resources to return his son from the dead. We also are given the impression, in my opinion, in RotAW that The Most High genuinely cares for his children.

I agree, but he is also shown as the stern father, kinda like the Steward of Gondor in LotR with his 'Return victorious, or return not at all' attitude with his sons. It is also revealed in the Twilight War how much he hates Rivalen (and why, which is a darn good reason).
Brace Cormaeril Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 19:19:39
Given that everything in FRCG is canon, Melegaunt Tanthul is very much alive in the Year of the Ageless One. It has not been revealed in canon, to my knowledge, how Melegaunt returned after his fatal encounter at Karse Butte.

We know that Telamont Tanthul has the resources to return his son from the dead. We also are given the impression, in my opinion, in RotAW that The Most High genuinely cares for his children. If Melegaunt could have been returned from the dead, with his apparently vast phaerim-lore intact, the Most High certainly would have done so. If not out of love, then out of necessity. His 'weakest' son, whom he took great strides to protect by hiding his 'weakness', holds the key to his, and ultimately Netheril's, greatest victory; an ultimate route of the phaerimm. Dad is very proud of Melegaunt, I'd think!

But that's not what the reader sees in RotAW. We get a mad-chase after Gaeleron. Telemont does this weird "I am Emperor Palpatine, join me in the Darkside!" bit.

I think Telemont's true goal was to, at once, seize the required phaerimm lore while keeping Gaeleron, Melegaunt's 'phylactery', from getting itself killed. Gaeleron was Hell-bent to do so. And, in my opinion, kinda' dumb.

Allowing time enough for Melegaunt, or when time allowed (Shade Enclave was fighting a two front war) the entire Court of Shade, to reclaim a clone body or a golem body or an undead body or have no body at all, just hang out astral all the time or bind himself to a magic item that allows him to project shadow images or a shadow form that allows him to instantaneously appear wherever there is shadow or just be a shadow possessing spirit or maybe an ancient netherese shadow golem or...
whatever.

Markustay Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 19:06:22
quote:

The odds of another Melegaunt being mentioned in the same paragraph as 3 other shade princes is very unlikely. So Melegaunt the youngest shade prince dies, then another high ranking officer named Melegaunt comes in and shares duties with the old melegaunt's 3 brothers?

That's a bit of a stretch...
Fair enough... bare in mind that I have never read this series, so I am completely unfamiliar with these characters - I only went by the OP.

Not that it was bad, per se, but it could have been a whole lot better with a wee bit of research.

Dennis Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 18:02:27
quote:

As for Lamorak, I don't know anything more than his small entry in Lords of Darkness.

There's very little information about him everywhere. Even in RotA, he hardly had any 'stage time,' and none at all in TW.
Dennis Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 17:55:18
quote:
Originally posted by Ruul

Well there ya go folks, Erik's next work will be a Netheril trilogy. =)

I'd love that. But Paul's Cycle of Night trilogy also features the Shades and is scheduled for release on 2012. Which means Erik's possible Netheril trilogy will be released on what --- 2020?
Noxica Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 17:51:24
quote:

Maybe you mean Darksword. I read that short story long time ago, and fortunately still remember almost all that happened in it. It only chronicles how Melegaunt recruited servants (the Vaasans) by creating darkswords to rid their village of vile creatures. I don't think there's any mention of Escanor being killed by a darksword. Or maybe you just meant that the details on Melegaunt creating that kind of sword is in that story?

Kilvan Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 16:58:13
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Sorry to also steal the thread for selfish reasons but it ties in a bit also. I am having my players run a 4E campaign in which one of the Princes of Shade wishes to become a Lich and locates a portal back to the year of the Fall of Netheril to try and steal Karsus' level 12 spell for himself (and with his knowledge, target a "different" deity with it rather than Mystryl). I plan on running "How the Mighty Are Fallen", updating it to 4E for this, and the Lichlord would be in fact this Prince of Shade.

I've currently decided to have this be Lamorak Tanthul, because I don't recall much info about him, thus making it easier, but if someone has a better suggestion or knows of more info (actually any info at all) about Lamorak, please share it. AThanks!

I am unfamiliar with "How the Mighty Are Fallen", but does the Lichdom has anything to do with the actual plan? And I did something similar, but instead the Princes found a way to bring Karsus back to life (he's turned into a statue and is in his fallen city's ruin). They then tried to cast the spell using the Shadow Weave instead, which Shar managed to clean of Mystra's Ban. BTW, it turns out Karsus didn't co-operate, having realised that no man should hold such power.

Alisttair Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 16:30:33
quote:
quote:

Brennus, Faould,
Lamorak, Melegaunt, and the identical twins Mattick
and Vattick manage various government functions.

Sorry to also steal the thread for selfish reasons but it ties in a bit also. I am having my players run a 4E campaign in which one of the Princes of Shade wishes to become a Lich and locates a portal back to the year of the Fall of Netheril to try and steal Karsus' level 12 spell for himself (and with his knowledge, target a "different" deity with it rather than Mystryl). I plan on running "How the Mighty Are Fallen", updating it to 4E for this, and the Lichlord would be in fact this Prince of Shade.

I've currently decided to have this be Lamorak Tanthul, because I don't recall much info about him, thus making it easier, but if someone has a better suggestion or knows of more info (actually any info at all) about Lamorak, please share it. AThanks!
Ruul Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 16:18:08
Well there ya go folks, Erik's next work will be a Netheril trilogy. =)
Noxica Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 16:16:54
quote:

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 15:57:50
Not to intrude on the discussion, which I think is a great one . . . just thought I'd clarify something:
quote:

One prince is confirmed dead even in the 4ed book (if you consider his lack of mention in the book as an indication he is no longer around).
His lack of mention in the book does not mean that he's dead, only that the book doesn't discuss where he is. He might be dead, he might be in hiding, he might be stripped of his powers, he might be exiled, he might have rebelled against his father and been imprisoned, etc., etc., the list goes on.

There are lots of people not specifically mentioned in the FRCG who are still alive and kicking, for instance, Storm (who is in Elminster Must Die).

All that's saying is: "His canonical fate isn't discussed here" and if he hasn't appeared elsewhere, then "his fate hasn't been established canonically."

Until we get a novel (or, more likely, trilogy of novels) focusing on Netheril, we probably aren't going to know with any certainty.

Cheers
Dennis Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 14:12:48
quote:

quote:
At first I thought the Most High might have saved him. However, I realized that if Telamont indeed helped his son, then he wouldn't have to waste resources - his own other sons included - in tracking and capturing Galaeron (because he wanted to use the elf's knowledge [which came from Melegaunt] on the phaerimm).

Hmmm thats right, Telamont has wasted resssources by finding Galaeron, but then I hated how easy it was for Galaeron and his crew to escape Thultantar. What if (and I know that might be a bit of a strech), it was all [/joker_voice on] 'part of the plaaaan' [/joker_voice off]? Maybe he never needed Galaeron after all, or that Melegaunt was alive, but did transfert all his useful memory into Galaeron.

I entertain the possibility (as mentioned by Noxica) that part of Melegaunt's essence/soul was imbibed into Galaeron (not just memory). That could explain why though he's new to the use of shadow magic he is nevertheless so adept with it. Melegaunt knew that the Most High badly needed his knowledge on the phaerimm, so he transferred part of himself to the elf (whom he believed his father could easily capture), while he's nursing his wounds in the Plane of Shadow.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000