Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Wonders of the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kno Posted - 14 May 2010 : 21:51:25
Looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonders_of_the_World made me wonder about parallel creations in the Realms. I'd like to make a list more numerous than seven, so if you know the most beautiful monument or temple. I can think of one place of the top off the top of my head.

Wonders of the Present

The Dragonwall, the Great Wall of Stone (Kara-Tur)
The Sharksbane Wall (Sea of Fallen Stars)

Rhymanthiin the Hidden City of Hope (High Moor)
Thultanthar the Flying City of Shade (Anauroch)
Selunarra the Flying Enclave of Opus (Gates of the Moon)
Ched Nasad the City of Shimmering Webs (The Upper Northdark)
Sshamath the City of Dark Weavings (beneath the Far Hills)
Iriaebor the City of a Thousand Spires (The Western Heartlands)
Deep Imaskar the City of the Great Seal (The Underdark)
Bhaluin the Drowned City (Brightstar Lake)
Ahjuutal the City of Marids (The Shining Sea)
Airspur the City of Earthmotes (Akanul)
Leuthilspar (Evermeet)

The Wailing Dwarf (Troll Mountains)
The Great Coral Crab (The Shipgraves)
The Cryptic Reliefs of Paldir (The Pirate Isles)
The Cliffs of Tanghai (The Hungtse river near Taitun in Kara-Tur)
The Great Dracosphinx of Klondor (Mulhorand)
The Face of the Gods (Mulhorand)
Chasolne (Halruaa)
The Eye Tyrant Cliffs (near Almraiven)
The Great Petrified Serpent (Najara)
The Glacier of Ulutiu (river Uppuk)
The Listening Tree (Elventree)

Calim See (The Marching Mountains)
The Land of the Dead (The Sword Mountains)
The Third Necropolis of Nykkar (The Isle of Memory)

The Host Tower of the Arcane (Luskan)
The Palace of the Purple Emperor (Raurin)
The Netyarch's Palace (Halruaa)
The Summer Palace (Evermeet)
The Palace of the Enlightened Throne (Huzuz in Zakhara)
The Jade Pavilion (Kozakura)

The Ironfang Keep (near Mulmaster)
The Citadel of Thaymount (Thay)
The Citadel of the Raven (The Dragonspine Mountains)
Darkhold (near the Sunset Mountains)
The Drakelight (Bay of Chessenta)
The Spinning Keep of Sir'wadjen (above the Calim Desert)
Panjuis the Pixie Fortress (The Ama Basin)

The Earthvault (The Marching Mountains)
The Herald's Holdfast, the Citadel of Old Night (near Silverymoon)
The Master's Library (The Earthfast Mountains)

Fhoeldin durr the Waymeet of Aryvandaar (The Outlands)
The Pyramid Complex of Ascore (Anauroch)
Canals of Eltabarr (Thay)
Sentinelspire (The Hordelands)
The Moonbridge (Silverymoon)
The Trade Way (Calimshan)
Amaunator's Eternal Sun (The Western Heartlands)
The Stone Bridge (river Dessarin)
The Gate of Iron (The Dustwall Mountains)

The Ziggurat of Eternal Victory (Unthalass)
The Tomb of Re (Skuld)
The Ebony Temple (Solon)
The Cathedral of Spirit Soaring (The Snowflake Mountains)
The High Holy Crafthouse of Inspiration (Lantan)
The Temple of Beauty (Waterdeep)
The House of the High One Ascendant (near Lhair in Halruaa)
The Shrine of the Undying Heart (Karse)
The Great Shadow Mansion (Chult)
The Maze of Life (Mezro)
The Solarium (Skuld)
The Vault of Golden Commerce (Neldorild)
The Cathedral of Emerald Scales (Hlondeth)
The Golden Mosque (Huzuz in Zakhara)
The Pyramid of the Gods (Tewahca in Maztica)

The Grand Halls of Undermountain (Waterdeep)
Corundumdelve, the Hidden Gem of the Depths (beneath the Almir)
Zorx-Ka (Ooltul)

Wonders of the Ancient World

Myth Drannor the City of Song (Cormanthor)
Intevar's Librarium of Uvaeren (Mistledale)
The Royal Caverns of Splendarrmornn (The Greypeaks)
The Imperial Shoonach (Calimshan)
Eileanar the Karsus Enclave (Anauroch)
Xinlenal the enclave of Ioulaum (Anauroch)
The Udoxias of the Twelve Cities of Jhaamdath (The Vilhon Reach)

Wonders of Nature

Araumycos the Great Fungus (below the High Forest)
The Crystal Grot (sapphire cavern in Cormyr)
The Grandfather Tree (The High Forest)
Aecaurak Splendarrsonn (mines of Mirabar)
The Great Rift (The Shaar)
The Woventree (Chondalwood)
The Flowstone Tapestry (Oryndoll)
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mapolq Posted - 10 Jul 2012 : 00:26:33
*Takes the dust off the scroll*

Wonderful list! (silly pun intended)

I think Goldspires in Athkatla would qualify as a wonder. It is a temple complex the size of a small town dedicated to Waukeen.
Dennis Posted - 07 Jul 2010 : 02:10:40

-Shade Enclave

-Keep of Sorrow (in Thay, where several battles that determined Thay's futures happened)

Kno Posted - 12 Jun 2010 : 06:05:37
Thanks, I'll correct it, it's been a while since I read Final Gate. ''Nit-picking'' is welcomed.
Flero Ralys Posted - 11 Jun 2010 : 18:14:20
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Wonders of the Present
Nexus the Last Mythal of Aryvandaar (The Outlands)

Not to be too nit-picky, but isn't this Fhoeldin durr, The Thousandfold Way (aka The Waymeet)

I think it was only referred to as the Nexus once in passing. I'm just going off the novel Final Gate though.
Kno Posted - 05 Jun 2010 : 20:21:22
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

The Shade is unique today, during the Netheril era Ioulaum and Karsus were exceptional. Already included the Purple Palace, it survived even the 4th edition. Yes, the faces in Halruaa are on the list, so is the Grandfather Tree and the Spinning Keep that holds the Calimemnon crystal.

Was the Maztican temple you mentioned more impressive than the pyramid in Tehwahca (400 - 500 ft. big I think)?

Is that in Maztica? It may be the same thing - the temple I'm thinking of was a pyramid.

I looked into the sources, that's the pyramid of Zaltec in Nexal, once the highest in the True World, been surpassed since by the Pyramid of Gods in Tehwahca. Small comparing to the Gilgeam's ziggurat tough.

What's the Yellow Thunder Falls, source?

They appear on The Hordelands map, and are described in that product. Their location is on the back cover of The Forgotten Realms Atlas, yet I don't see them marked there - the Yellow Serpent Cliffs from whence the Falls fall is clearly marked, however.

It's a big waterfall, smaller than the one in Venezuela, decided not to include it, how about the Unicorn Run?

The ancient temple in Kara-Tur it need to be more than just old, what civilization was that?

No-one knows who created it, but the pictures carved into the stonework depict strange beastmen. It is described in the K-T boxed set, right near the beginning, and is called the Temple of Saigai. Also listed on that page (4) are the Cliffs of Tenghai, the Fortress of Kuai, and the Impossible palace of the silver Domes.

Decided for the Cliffs as it is the most holy place. The beastmen are the most intriguing, who do you think they are?

Big magical artifacts like the Moonbridge or Nexus are wonders so why not the bloodforge.

Because they are portable and therefore not nearly as monumentous. I had theorized in the Utter east thread that there were two types - the original ancient (god-created?) artifacts which were fixed in place, and a lesser, Imaskari-made version which could be carried around on the back of a war-wagon. However, that was speculation, and it is possible (another of my theories about them) that there was a separate part of them (a ring, a gem, or perhaps a crown) that worked as a controller, alleviating the need to haul the whole forge around onto the battlefield. Regardless, they certainly weren't 'wonder worthy', unless you want to include every artifact and relic in the forgotten Realms. Shear power doesn't make a wonder, impressiveness does (and SIZE matters!) If power were the only factor, then Elminster should be a wonder - he sure as hell is old enough.

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

... the bloodforges I know nothing about, why are they wondrous?

<snip>

I don't have the game, but everywhere else I can't find the physical description of the bloodforge.

There is none, but the game and some little bit of history indicates they were moved about, precluding any assumption that they were momentous in size. There is also quite a bit of circumstantial evidence that they had a dark side - they either stole or corrupted (or both) life-force from people near them (which is why I feel the original ones could not be moved - why the hell keep one under a capital city if this were the case?)

One day, hopefully in some future CKC, I will be able to put together a working history of the forges and the Utter east.

Thank you for the information, from your description that would be the most awesome article.
Markustay Posted - 03 Jun 2010 : 20:43:23
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

The Shade is unique today, during the Netheril era Ioulaum and Karsus were exceptional. Already included the Purple Palace, it survived even the 4th edition. Yes, the faces in Halruaa are on the list, so is the Grandfather Tree and the Spinning Keep that holds the Calimemnon crystal.

Was the Maztican temple you mentioned more impressive than the pyramid in Tehwahca (400 - 500 ft. big I think)?

Is that in Maztica? It may be the same thing - the temple I'm thinking of was a pyramid.

What's the Yellow Thunder Falls, source?

They appear on The Hordelands map, and are described in that product. Their location is on the back cover of The Forgotten Realms Atlas, yet I don't see them marked there - the Yellow Serpent Cliffs from whence the Falls fall is clearly marked, however.

The ancient temple in Kara-Tur it need to be more than just old, what civilization was that?

No-one knows who created it, but the pictures carved into the stonework depict strange beastmen. It is described in the K-T boxed set, right near the beginning, and is called the Temple of Saigai. Also listed on that page (4) are the Cliffs of Tenghai, the Fortress of Kuai, and the Impossible palace of the silver Domes.

Big magical artifacts like the Moonbridge or Nexus are wonders so why not the bloodforge.

Because they are portable and therefore not nearly as monumentous. I had theorized in the Utter east thread that there were two types - the original ancient (god-created?) artifacts which were fixed in place, and a lesser, Imaskari-made version which could be carried around on the back of a war-wagon. However, that was speculation, and it is possible (another of my theories about them) that there was a separate part of them (a ring, a gem, or perhaps a crown) that worked as a controller, alleviating the need to haul the whole forge around onto the battlefield. Regardless, they certainly weren't 'wonder worthy', unless you want to include every artifact and relic in the forgotten Realms. Shear power doesn't make a wonder, impressiveness does (and SIZE matters!) If power were the only factor, then Elminster should be a wonder - he sure as hell is old enough.

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

<snip>

I don't have the game, but everywhere else I can't find the physical description of the bloodforge.

There is none, but the game and some little bit of history indicates they were moved about, precluding any assumption that they were momentous in size. There is also quite a bit of circumstantial evidence that they had a dark side - they either stole or corrupted (or both) life-force from people near them (which is why I feel the original ones could not be moved - why the hell keep one under a capital city if this were the case?)

One day, hopefully in some future CKC, I will be able to put together a working history of the forges and the Utter east.
Kno Posted - 03 Jun 2010 : 14:21:49

What's the Yellow Thunder Falls, source? The ancient temple in Kara-Tur it need to be more than just old, what civilization was that?

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

The Bloodforges were "ancient war machines capable of manufacturing whole armies of enchanted golems."

They were referenced in the "Darkly, Through a Glass of Ale" story in Realms of Mystery and they were actually noted in the Faces of Deception novel as well. Bloodforges were also featured in the old Blood & Magic PC game for DOS:- http://www.mobygames.com/game/blood-magic

Markustay Posted - 03 Jun 2010 : 09:12:36
The Bloodforges qualify more as artifacts, rather then 'wonders'.

There was a huge temple in Maztica, but that was destroyed in the novels. There is another ANCIENT temple in K-T - near the hordelands in the Yehimals that is over 8000 yrs old. How about the Calimenon Crystal? Isn't there a flying fortress built around that?

For natural wonders perhaps the Yellow Thunder Falls? Did you include the Grandfather Tree for another?

You guys already got those cliff-faces in Halruaa, right?

Technically Shade would qualify for a man-made wonder, but considering it isn't really unique (or wasn't, at one point), maybe not. There was also the Imaskari purple palace (I think it was recently destroyed as well).
Brimstone Posted - 03 Jun 2010 : 09:05:37
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

The Bloodforges were "ancient war machines capable of manufacturing whole armies of enchanted golems."

They were referenced in the "Darkly, Through a Glass of Ale" story in Realms of Mystery and they were actually noted in the Faces of Deception novel as well. Bloodforges were also featured in the old Blood & Magic PC game for DOS:- http://www.mobygames.com/game/blood-magic

Warforged anyone?

The Realms had them what a good 5 years before Eberron did?
The Sage Posted - 03 Jun 2010 : 08:22:17
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Kno Posted - 03 Jun 2010 : 08:11:08
The Spirit Soaring was on the list from the start. I don't know about the others, the pixie fortress isn't ''monumental'', the bloodforges I know nothing about, why are they wondrous?
Sill Alias Posted - 31 May 2010 : 03:53:19
A Spirit's Soaring is definitely a wonder.
Quale Posted - 30 May 2010 : 15:44:41
Sentinelspire fits well. Another one from that area that is interesting is Panjuis, the pixie fortress, tough recently wrecked. Another one that got recently destroyed by tentacles is Pasha's Palace, a 1000 ft. big ship. Also the Trade Way in the Calim Desert is somewhat remarkable cause of its maintenance system.

For the magical part the Bloodforges of the Utter East would be a good candidate, also the udoxias of Jhaamdath for the ancient wonders.
Kno Posted - 29 May 2010 : 15:38:44
It's an 800 ft. tall magical lighthouse in Chessenta.

Elemental hot springs are scattered everywhere, but the Sentinelspire could qualify?
Cleric Generic Posted - 29 May 2010 : 14:59:14
What's the Drakelight?

The Great Rift would be a good contender, perhaps also Mt. Hotenow (f&*%ing stupid name) with it's elemental hot springs and such making Neverwinter possible?
Kno Posted - 29 May 2010 : 13:52:59
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfriend

candlekeep could be considered a Wonder?

I think of the mighty road that leads to Volothamp in Calmshan. The one with giant statues at both sides

The House of the Loregiver with the Great Mosque and the minor mosques in Huzuz, capital of Zakhara. Perhaps the most beautiful city on Toril :)

The statues are too small, 30 ft. Already posted the Master's Library of Deneir which is bigger than Candlekeep. Huzuz is wonderful, any more ideas from Zakhara or Kara-Tur?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

What about the Karanok sphere??
Hmmm, it's hard to say. A giant sphere of annihilation is indeed impressive. But, ultimately, the Karanok’s worship of the sphere as Entropy has never truly been a divine and/or wondrous thing. Their fanaticism based on myths and legends ultimately lined up with Tiamat’s goals and she started granting spells in Entropy’s name early in the 1370's. That's pretty much it.

I suppose the "ancient" origins of the sphere itself should warrant further consideration, though. And given what it actually is, rather than what the Karanoks believe it to be, is an important detail as well.

It only has an exceptional size then. I decided to include the Drakelight from that area.

Do you think the Great Rift is a natural wonder, similar to the Grand Canyon?
The Sage Posted - 21 May 2010 : 02:08:35
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

What about the Karanok sphere??
Hmmm, it's hard to say. A giant sphere of annihilation is indeed impressive. But, ultimately, the Karanok’s worship of the sphere as Entropy has never truly been a divine and/or wondrous thing. Their fanaticism based on myths and legends ultimately lined up with Tiamat’s goals and she started granting spells in Entropy’s name early in the 1370's. That's pretty much it.

I suppose the "ancient" origins of the sphere itself should warrant further consideration, though. And given what it actually is, rather than what the Karanoks believe it to be, is an important detail as well.
Elfinblade Posted - 21 May 2010 : 00:39:43
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfriend

I second Candlekeep as a wonder
dragonfriend Posted - 21 May 2010 : 00:34:18
The House of the Loregiver with the Great Mosque and the minor mosques in Huzuz, capital of Zakhara. Perhaps the most beautiful city on Toril :)
dragonfriend Posted - 21 May 2010 : 00:02:03

I think of the mighty road that leads to Volothamp in Calmshan. The one with giant statues at both sides
Cleric Generic Posted - 20 May 2010 : 21:18:29
I think the sun-sphere thingy is a wonder of the post-plague era.
Kno Posted - 20 May 2010 : 19:42:48
Iriaebor is already included.

That version of Darkhold is from Castles boxed set, the textual description from all other sources indeed makes it a wonder. The second sun will be worthy addition, how did I miss it . What about the Karanok sphere??

quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Eh, I'd focus more on the fact that the place was built by giants, and is thus pretty rare and nifty, than how Darkhold is depicted in any particular artists impression. That's certainly not what it looks like in MY head, at least.

As for more comtemporary wonders of the realms, what about Iriaebor (big city of sky-high mage-crafted towers)? Also, Elturel has a second sun burning high above it's roof-tops 24/7 now; it's visible from many miles around and the light has some magical properties, I seem to recall.

The Sage Posted - 20 May 2010 : 17:05:30
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

If you consider this picture http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/File:Darkhold.jpg it does not quality. The walls should be black tough.

That image doesn't really match most of the descriptions I've read about Darkhold -- most notably, in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast.

I'd base Darkhold's possible qualification as a wonder of the Realms on the descriptions of the place, rather than any actual images published in the past.
Cleric Generic Posted - 20 May 2010 : 16:46:03
Eh, I'd focus more on the fact that the place was built by giants, and is thus pretty rare and nifty, than how Darkhold is depicted in any particular artists impression. That's certainly not what it looks like in MY head, at least.

As for more comtemporary wonders of the realms, what about Iriaebor (big city of sky-high mage-crafted towers)? Also, Elturel has a second sun burning high above it's roof-tops 24/7 now; it's visible from many miles around and the light has some magical properties, I seem to recall.
Kno Posted - 20 May 2010 : 16:06:05
If you consider this picture http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/File:Darkhold.jpg it does not quality. The walls should be black tough.
The Sage Posted - 19 May 2010 : 07:05:32
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

I'm not sure about Darkhold; does anybody have any lore on how old the actual structure itself is, or was it constructed by the Zhentarim originally?
Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast tell us that:- "Once a castle of the Giant-Emperors, Darkhold was built for folk of giant stature." [And possibly around the time of ancient Netheril]

That alone should qualify it as a wonder of the Realms, I think.
Jakk Posted - 19 May 2010 : 06:08:49
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Alright, I'm including the Third Necropolis. Probably there are thousands of other mausoleums, but this has a great traditional value.

What's your opinion on these sites?

The Standing Stone
Thaymount (the size?)
Shangalar's pyramid
The Citadel of the Raven
Darkhold
The Ironfang Keep
Castle Perilous

The Citadel of the Raven and Ironfang Keep definitely belong, simply because (a) the original builders of the Citadel of the Raven are still a mystery, and (b) Ironfang Keep is a relic of the giant kingdoms of Ostoria and a stop along the Dark Three's path to divinity. I'm not sure about Darkhold; does anybody have any lore on how old the actual structure itself is, or was it constructed by the Zhentarim originally?

Castle Perilous could probably qualify as well; it was the Barad-dur of the Forgotten Realms, and should be recognized as such.
Kno Posted - 17 May 2010 : 22:30:33
quote:
Originally posted by Hrandar Bearmaul

As far as "Wonders of the Ancient World" what about that ancient dwarven place that Salvatore's characters all go on about, Gauntlygrim or whatever it's called? Or Isn't Menzobarenzan supposed to be pretty grand, in it's own way. With that big glowing stalagmite and whatnot.

Excuse my spelling of both Gauntrlgrim and Menzobaraenzan.

For ancient wonders the site must be something magnificent and unique, it appears there is a dozen of such ruined fortresses like Gauntlyrim, and half the cities in the Underdark would qualify, actually I was considering the Underspires, but Ched Nasad won cause of its webbed caves.

Some cities as a whole are a wonder cause of the architecture or unique magic that encompasses them, Waterdeep is just a city with great sites here and there (Fields of Triumph, The Walking Statues, Castle Waterdeep, Agharion's and Khelben's towers, Blue Alley, the Plinth ...), I picked Sune's temple as it is the most beautiful in the Realms.
DDH_101 Posted - 17 May 2010 : 16:39:52
quote:
Originally posted by Hrandar Bearmaul

As far as "Wonders of the Ancient World" what about that ancient dwarven place that Salvatore's characters all go on about, Gauntlygrim or whatever it's called? Or Isn't Menzobarenzan supposed to be pretty grand, in it's own way. With that big glowing stalagmite and whatnot.

Excuse my spelling of both Gauntrlgrim and Menzobaraenzan.

In RA Salvatore's books, he mentioned that Underdark denizens paid money to witness the faerie-fire change of House Baenre.

However, I don't know whether to include whole cities into a Wonder of the Realms. I mean, if we did that, then we might as well include Waterdeep and Evermeet. I think the Wonder should be like a specific structure or art.
Brimstone Posted - 17 May 2010 : 03:10:57
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

The Great Petrified Serpent of Najara springs to mind

Thats a good one.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000