Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 To cannonize or not to Cannonize (Poll)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Malanthius Posted - 17 Jul 2003 : 16:34:08
Okay, now we all know that a lot of players started trying the pen and paper version of D&D because of the Baldur's Gate, Ice Wind Dale, and Neverwinter nights series of games.
Here's the question though, do you think that the events portrayed in these games (IE the ballspawn saga, the group of heroes that defended Icewind Dale a century ago, Morags schemes against the City of Neverwinter) should be accepted as cannon by WOTC?
Or would you just prefer some of the events portrayed? If so explain which ones and why?
Hoping this will be interesting.

Mal.
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 15:27:14
Learned Scribe Malanthius,

I see it as an opportunity to use it as a point of reference for players at the table as long as it isn't something that I determine to be ludicrous (and that is completely subjective). It can garner a lot of interest at the table and make players feel more vested in the Realms by that point of reference that perhaps they picked up by video game, that we picked up by reading the lore.

However, to directly answer your question: no. I think adding it as cannon, invites the same thing as the 4e debacle. It puts a sales decision at the center (or close to it anyhow) of decision making on lore, and that doesn't seem well thought out.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Malanthius

Okay, now we all know that a lot of players started trying the pen and paper version of D&D because of the Baldur's Gate, Ice Wind Dale, and Neverwinter nights series of games.
Here's the question though, do you think that the events portrayed in these games (IE the ballspawn saga, the group of heroes that defended Icewind Dale a century ago, Morags schemes against the City of Neverwinter) should be accepted as cannon by WOTC?
Or would you just prefer some of the events portrayed? If so explain which ones and why?
Hoping this will be interesting.

Mal.

Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 08 Jan 2004 : 01:45:57
i think the Bhallspawn idea should be should be accepted as cannon by WotC becuz that is actually meaningful as it relates 2 an actual event (the Time of Troubles) in the realms. plus i thought the idea of a god procreating with mortals 2 create children was just sweet
Dragon Cultist Posted - 04 Jan 2004 : 20:23:50
Dragon Magazine did an article once in which some prominent Baldur's Gate (I) heroes and villains got statisticized.

Since in my gaming circle, we adhere to the agreement that anything Realmsian that sees print in official sources (Dragon mag. among them) can be considered Realms canon: presto. From then on we felt we "had to" incorporate the computer games.

NB 1: I don’t portray our groups’ choice as the only choice, or something that everybody should lean towards.

NB 2: Certainly the Forgotten Realms sourcebooks being published do not include anything from the computer games. So the “official” position seems to be pretty clear: not to incorporate.

NB 3: Then again, why *not* incorporate the material? Just because WotC/Hasbro plays it safe and doesn’t want to fiddle around with copyright licenses? It seems to me that what is presented in the computer games (whether you like some, all, or nothing about its style or content), is still Realmslore! And for me, adding Realmslore is definitely part of the fun. It can only enhance the gaming experience of “immersion” in a rich, complex (and hence, sometimes contradictory) multiverse.

...So in all, I say: yes by all means, drop that Sarevok on your campaign map! Twice.
(Misquote from the movie "Crimson Tide." Couldn' resist. Back on-topic.)

Bookwyrm Posted - 20 Jul 2003 : 06:04:11
Well, if we're going to go into words . . . it really should be 'canon.' That means 'law' or 'rule' or such. 'Cannonize' would be 'destroy with a broadside of cannons!' . . . or such.
Malanthius Posted - 20 Jul 2003 : 00:39:22
Pardon my saying wise one, but it seemed like a good subject at the time. (and do you know of another word meaning to transfer from non-cannon to cannon material?)
Not to mention the fact you never actually gave your opinion on the subject...
Mal.
Alaundo Posted - 19 Jul 2003 : 09:39:35
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Perhaps another attempt should be made at trying to create a general conversation forum that doesn't register a post count, but allows a place for specific non-topic conversation.

It would keep all the FR scrolls here in the library free of non-topic-ness.

Well Met

My my, there is no pleasing some scribes

There will be a clean-up going on within the library soon, there are a number of scrolls out of place, on the wrong shelves and some which dont belong in the library at all

Ahh, that reminds me, in future when i move a scroll from one shelf to another, the scribe who originally penned the scroll should receive notification of this

Now back to your studies!! To cannonize or not..... hmmfff
The Sage Posted - 19 Jul 2003 : 08:47:46
Perhaps another attempt should be made at trying to create a general conversation forum that doesn't register a post count, but allows a place for specific non-topic conversation.

It would keep all the FR scrolls here in the library free of non-topic-ness.

Bookwyrm Posted - 19 Jul 2003 : 08:29:47
Yes, indeed. We seem to be having a trend towards off-topic-ness. No need to encourage them beyond their usefulness. Certainly not if it brings Alaundo down on us . . . .

(Yes, Alaundo, I got your latest batch of scrolls . . . see? Working on them right now . . . .)
zemd Posted - 19 Jul 2003 : 08:20:22
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

If you are worried about POST COUNT... WEll that is just silly!

WHO CARES!!!

If i'd care such things, i would not be posting on the zero increasing parts of the forum (hmmm, i think i made a very strange phrase there). It just that it annoys me, but if it fits you all i'll follow the majority.
Just close the subject and go back to the original subject, i'm hearing Alaundo coming to see if we are working
The Sage Posted - 19 Jul 2003 : 02:19:46
That is exactly right Bookwyrm. I consider it ill manners to change a post after someone else has posted after me. Granted I may have done this once-or-twice, but that was only because the post was either going too far off-topic, or was written in haste.

Bookwyrm Posted - 18 Jul 2003 : 22:39:27
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

Actually the edit feature annoys me. I like it for a post I just made, but I get annoyed when people go back and edit the original post hours after the ymade it. How are people supposed to know they posted.

Yeah, that's something that I got annoyed at with another scribe (who sent me a tersely worded email) when that person would do that. I won't say who, though, because this nameless scribe has since stopped.

I used to be a lot more uptight about the posting. As in, posting seconds after the old one. But its good for if you're talking about something completely different. And if it's quite a time later, then that's also different.

I never use the edit feature to add new things after someone else has posted after me. Only for spelling/grammer changes, or if I said I was changing it. (As with the Magic Shop and the Feats scroll.)
Mournblade Posted - 18 Jul 2003 : 20:56:03
Who cares!!!! Post away!!!!!

Actually the edit feature annoys me. I like it for a post I just made, but I get annoyed when people go back and edit the original post hours after the ymade it. How are people supposed to know they posted.

If you are worried about POST COUNT... WEll that is just silly!

WHO CARES!!!

Bookwyrm Posted - 18 Jul 2003 : 18:09:06
And don't forget the signature, which is of course unique to each person. That's what I usually see before a name.

I often think about changing mine, but this really fits me.
The Sage Posted - 18 Jul 2003 : 16:19:17
Yes I am familar with fanatic, however as I said previously I notice he has made no posts in any of the other forums except the 'Well Met' forum so...

You really shouldn't criticise though, since a number of other scribes here at Candlekeep make use of your avatar as well. And besides, the easiest way around such difficulties, is to simply take note of the name of the poster, and not the picture .

zemd Posted - 18 Jul 2003 : 16:03:35
I'm speaking about him and there's an edit post option on the forum, it's the sheet with a pen icon
The Sage Posted - 18 Jul 2003 : 14:27:39
I haven't seen anyone else use this avatar here in the regular forums yet. Besides, sometimes I am still thinking about what I posted earlier, and then I decide to add a few extra points. You can hardly criticize me for that.

I'll admit that sometimes I may have to deal with something that takes my attention away from Candlekeep, or I may be reading a book, or posts from an alternate forum between posts here at Candlekeep, and I become distracted, so I will apologise for that at least.

zemd Posted - 18 Jul 2003 : 13:03:43
Must you always make double post Sage? Since you're not the only one with that portrait, it doesn't make things very clear
The Sage Posted - 18 Jul 2003 : 08:31:40
For example, most of the events as portrayed in BG1, and BG2 and the numerous expansion packs are considered non-canon at least for me. I have never really liked the way WotC handled the 'Bhaalspawn' saga, but I do like the idea. I am considering utilising an idea derived from the 'Bhaalspawn' saga, but instead using it to propogate the ideas about Amaunator that I have been thinking about.

The Sage Posted - 18 Jul 2003 : 08:26:58
I as a rule don't canonize some of the events in the games. I like to leave those types of things open for exploration in my own campaigns.

zemd Posted - 18 Jul 2003 : 08:12:04
I think we should not cannonize it (by the way the word "canoniser" in french means make someone a saint, that made me wird to read that here!)
I heard that in NWN you could kill Klauth, am i right. I'd prefer his death to be in a book.
Malanthius Posted - 17 Jul 2003 : 21:36:31
Definately too easy. People underestimate him just because he's an orc. Hmmm, possible future campaign idea, What if obould got his hands on the eye of Grumush from the ELH?

Mal.
Mournblade Posted - 17 Jul 2003 : 20:47:49
Well I think the NWN would eliminate alot of characters. It works for my game... but on the whole? It is risky to make it canon. For example the IWD I played I actually have it taking place in Modern Realms. Things that don't work I can ignore. The problem is, the Computer game medium is VASTLY different. A characters stats do NOT transfer well, and are not a realistic conversion. I bet for example, that a SZASS TAM version on computer would be easier to beat than one that I ran on tabletop. You also have that CONVENIENT little REST button as well

I use it as canon. But I can eliminate the stuff I think is impossile. LIKE killing King Obould was just TOO EASY. So I eliminate that.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000