Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Lack of MMORPGs for Faerun

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 08 May 2006 : 22:17:54
Games like Guild Wars etc are soooo incredibly cool. There really arent any mmorpgs like that for faerun though. and I think thats a big problem. games like baldurs gate pools of radiance etc haev dominated the pc game industry almsot since its inception... and now what? we haev nothing. why havent there been more games for faerun recently?

anyhow thats just something I noticed. I would love to see an MMORPG using organizations like the zhentarim... there should be a mod or something playing Fzoul who would constantly defend himself from ambitious underlings.but this is actually consitent with faerun politics etc. idk i just thought it would be interesting to see how powerful characters in faerun actually defend themselves from attempts to succeed them rather than just having them glazed over in novels etc.
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Aes Tryl Posted - 15 Aug 2006 : 04:27:22
Hahaha I'm sure u gotta kick out of that one Winterfox. . . I've nothing that much against Drizzt only that he's getting boring (though i liked the recent trilogy)
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 18:59:07
I had an EQ character named Blyme would have gotten the surename Dapiecemaker...he was after all a troll...
Winterfox Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 17:24:01
quote:
Originally posted by ode904

Yeah! A MMORPG in FR would be fantastic. Maybe now, when NWN2 comes out, there will be a bigger server with a map of half a Faerun or something, I would hope.

It's already been clarified several times that a Persistent World in NWN2 will be a lot harder, since the areas will take up a lot more memory, and would tax the server's hardware severely. Oh, and module size would be limited, too. So no more forty-fifty areas or whateverin a PW. They'd be lucky, I think, to have as many as twenty areas. If that.

No, no need to thank me. I love bursting people's bubbles.

quote:
Originally posted by Aes Tryl

heaven forbid and yes oh the horrid amount of Drizzt names. . . Drissit, Drizzit, Drizzt45, Drizzt101, Drizzt369, Drizzt91210. . . .

I saw quite a few of those back when I played EverQuest. It was always quite hilarious to trick dark elves with variations of "Drizzt" or "Zaknafein" or whatever into dueling me and then getting killed in two nukes.

These days, when I play Lineage 2, I haven't seen such names much. But if I see any, I think I'll make it a point to kill the characters on sight.
Aes Tryl Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 14:53:48
Umm no I think an MMORPG for FR would be a disaster especially for the purist RPGers over here at Candlekeep would drive ppl mad. . . I can seriously imagine hardcore gamers waiting for Elminster to spawn so they can grab the latest item( being a hardcore gamer myself well at least i used to. . . studies suck) and some jackass dancing on a table in the palace of Algarond shouting Leroooy Jenkiins after say slaying the Simbul. . . heaven forbid and yes oh the horrid amount of Drizzt names. . . Drissit, Drizzit, Drizzt45, Drizzt101, Drizzt369, Drizzt91210. . . . yes anyone who wants to play FR online should try Forgotten Kingdoms i heard its really quite good
ode904 Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 14:10:50
Yeah! A MMORPG in FR would be fantastic. Maybe now, when NWN2 comes out, there will be a bigger server with a map of half a Faerun or something, I would hope. If just someone has the time, the skill and the lust to do a bigger map. But a MMORPG in FR would be my heaven!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 01 Jul 2006 : 01:25:06
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

Oh I've a thought that would push many within the keep over the brink and into a mental institution........ the overall story of the MMORPG would be considered CANON!! Muwhahahahahaha!!!

I wouldn't consider it "real" anymore than I consider the events of the Baldur's Gate novels to have taken place...unless I actually liked the MMORPG story. :)

Not that I'm pushing for an FR MMORPG...far from it.
Wenin Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 18:01:59
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:

Oh I've a thought that would push many within the keep over the brink and into a mental institution........ the overall story of the MMORPG would be considered CANON!! Muwhahahahahaha!!!

*shakes head* if this was ironic you should move there first cuz right now you live somewhere off the village of Irony. If it was a serious comment I wonder why you come here at all...

Oh boo hiss....

Label me evil if you like, for finding a chuckle out of other's self created misery.

Do we all need to be Canon Crusaders to be a lover of all things Forgotten Realms? =)
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 09:36:46
quote:

*shakes head* if this was ironic you should move there first cuz right now you live somewhere off the village of Irony. If it was a serious comment I wonder why you come here at all...
Wenin Posted - 29 Jun 2006 : 12:46:16
Ergdusch Posted - 29 Jun 2006 : 08:43:16
I have to second GothicDan - IMO a MMO for FR. It would not be very interesting for gamers like us as we are far too dedicated and too mad.....
Wenin Posted - 29 Jun 2006 : 08:02:54
quote:

To get something like the Realms into such an environment you would have to have a dedicated GM team that does nothing else but GM events that are in effect valid for the entire server, no respawning of random-mob001, ever. Evereything would have to be hand-crafted, so to speak, with all players' action having a reaction in the game.

You act as if our uncle Monty Haul has never paid a visit to the Forgotten Realms and personally stomped the hell out of Elminster and Halaster all in the same night. =)

MMORPGS always sell the RPG world down the river.

If you want RPG Online you'll never find it receiving a pay check.

Such things require love, and love is only ever given voluntarily.
Forgotten Kingdoms - Takin the semi-forgotten technology of the MUSH and giving the FR life for several years now.
Wenin Posted - 29 Jun 2006 : 07:55:31
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

It's taken long enough for Dungeons and Dragons online to come out (set in Eberron), so its unlikely they'll produce a similar one just for the realms. To be honest it's not worth the developers time and money to produce a clone game of DDO for the realms, and for another producer to make one would make most people say '.....so? Same game different terrain'.

That very thing is what kept Everquest alive through several expansions.

Imagine DDO with Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and Dragonlance all alive and kicking. Paste it all together with Planescape.

Of course I'm talking 8 years from now, after countless expansions.
Skeptic Posted - 29 Jun 2006 : 05:30:10
I played Ultima Online (starting in '97) and recently EverQuest2.

I'll probably never get back to play one of these, so like you I say NO FR MMORPG

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 Jun 2006 : 02:07:06
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

No FR MMORPGs, please.

Ditto.
GothicDan Posted - 21 Jun 2006 : 23:31:06
No FR MMORPGs, please.
keijemon Posted - 11 Jun 2006 : 03:20:44
FR is such an established setting, do you realise how much lore and geography they'd have to put in right away to make it authentic. I mean Turbine making Eberron based world and they aren't even using the main table top continent from all the sources, they are using a "free for all" island to the south, which is completely upto DM's to make as they please. Still they are having trouble, even with game balance, is no longer working because it's not humans who do most of the work now, they had to boost everyone's life way up, becouse with computers doing the number crunching large fights that would exhaust a table top party, lasts mere seconds, but of couse since they did that, there are whole other bunch of issues now, that spells and feats need to be readjusted.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 03 Jun 2006 : 16:32:07
The general problem with the MMORPG environment is that it usually is item-centric and you basically do not get rewards for the role-playing part, unless you consider being the tank of a party your role *GAG*

To get something like the Realms into such an environment you would have to have a dedicated GM team that does nothing else but GM events that are in effect valid for the entire server, no respawning of random-mob001, ever. Evereything would have to be hand-crafted, so to speak, with all players' action having a reaction in the game.

Now if they got a server for say 2000 people/PCs you have the rough equivalent of 400 parties that all want to do stuff. To cater to this rather small amount of dedicated roleplayers you would need 400 GMs... one GM per party, with a bunch of coders in the background doing their thing according to the PCs actions. 400 GMs would have to get paid, plus server maintenance etc etc... even if the GMs only get $1000 a month you would have a total of 400.000 $ you would have to demand from the bunch of 2000 players... the monthly fee would be astronomical... for an MMORPG.

If you want to make such a thing available to a broader public, you cannot have such a dedicated team. You'll have spawn-timers, drop-tables, all the stuff that EQ and whathaveyou already feature. It will be no different from the rest, all the beautiful lore, all the stories, basically everything we love about the Realms would have to be ignored in order to make such a game a financial risk worth taking...

So I hope there will never be a FR MMORPG
Chyron Posted - 03 Jun 2006 : 11:20:10
quote:

Maybe DDO is different in that regard, but having a Reals-equivalent of Everquest or some such thing would, in my opinion, be an abomination...

Sadly, DDO is not different at all . And it fails to come close to being anything like D&D core rules. Its Eberron content is basically in 'name' only. If they had done FR it would have been a travesty.

Mace is correct...there just simply is no way to do massive multiplayer without bending the realms into becoming something it is not... All the elements under scrutiny on the current DDO boards (PVP, playable Drow race, leveling and skill system) would be even more out of place and under debate in a well established setting like FR. With Eberron being fairly new, my feeling is they think they can 'get away' with stuff in terms of content and history (because there is so little there due to the settings youth).

As it is there are already hundreds of characters with names like

Drizzzt, Drizts, Drissit, Driztt, etc....in DDO.

not to mentions names I have seen like

Bandaid (human cleric), Diehard (dwarf Paladin)

and then you have ones like

Tasselhoff and even GotMilk and WhoseUrDaddy

The roleplaying crowd is there...but in a serious minority. OF all the character bios I have read in the past 2 month of playing only 3 are actually based from Eberron sourcebook backgrounds.

So take a moment and imagine all of the above in a FR MMORPG...when you come up to a character named WhoseUrDaddy dancing with armor on in the Old Skull and yelling 'Leeeeroooyy Jeeenkinnnns'* in the room.

Now don't get me wrong...the Doom/Quake/Diablo style of Zerg play is fun for allot of people. Its all good, but I think the 'realms' is better served through an NWN type of system, where you can create the play experience you want.

Alot of people on the DDO forums tend to think DDO is going the way of Asheron's Call 2 (which apparently died an very early death at the hands of Turbine). Not having experience with that game I cannot say...but I know that many people have said that as soon as NWN2 goes gold, they are dropping the DDO account because it is so NOT D&D. They are just hanging on in the interim to have something D&D related to do.

So while I was disgruntled when I first heard the news the DDO was not based in FR, I must honestly say that, now, with everything I have seen, I am quite glad DDO does not carry the FR label.

*If you are unfamiliar with online gaming they you may not be aware of this minor legend. You can check here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeroy_Jenkins.

Or you can see the video that started the legend here
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3673226434267833958

If you have ever played any MMORPG, you should get a laugh out of it.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 03 Jun 2006 : 09:34:43
MMORPGs ... I think it's no stretch to say that they are basically more elaborate Diablo-style games. The roleplaying aspect is lost, mostly. Maybe DDO is different in that regard, but having a Realms-equivalent of Everquest or some such thing would, in my opinion, be an abomination...

Just imagine hardcore guilds waiting for Elminster to spawn so they can raid Shadowdale again... not for me...

edited a spelling error
TheInsaneCalling Posted - 03 Jun 2006 : 08:48:38
Yeah, a Elder Scrolls type of Realms game would be cool. But in the meantime, does anybody have any news of a good Realms game already out, cuz i wanna get one. but seeing as everything is MMORPG, and i have slow internet that doesn't really get me anywhere. could anyone point me to the best console Realms game out there. PS2 specifically. and if it's Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. do i haffta play the first to truly understand the second.
:P
Arivia Posted - 09 May 2006 : 01:31:51
I'd rather see a sandboxed single player game akin to what's accomplished in the Elder Scrolls games instead of another MMORPG.
Jindael Posted - 09 May 2006 : 01:22:17
It was Patrick Stewart.

Michael Clarke Duncan was the Slaad Lord.
Kaladorm Posted - 08 May 2006 : 23:30:32
You can find a fair few dedicated servers running FR modules in Neverwinter Nights.

Also you can't really run a FR setting without D&D Rules (or at least a bastardisation of it), so developers aren't totally free with this setting when it comes to MMORPGS.

It's taken long enough for Dungeons and Dragons online to come out (set in Eberron), so its unlikely they'll produce a similar one just for the realms. To be honest it's not worth the developers time and money to produce a clone game of DDO for the realms, and for another producer to make one would make most people say '.....so? Same game different terrain'. A lot of people will buy the game for the gameplay, not the lore involved. Also as far as developers are concerned Eberron is their shiny new toy (although Demonstone was FR based, loved Khelben though I couldn't tell if his voice was Ian McKellans or Patrick Stewarts)

On a more positive note, if you search hard enough you can probably find some good NWN FR Modules, made by the people who care about the realms enough to put in the effort to make one. Also bioware released a few premium modules (which can be had for about £5 for all three).

There was even a Shadowdale MUD kicking around a while ago but I know nothing about it after that

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000