Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Patches for NWN

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
VEDSICA Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 03:32:14
To be quite honest.I am computer illiterate.Are the patches for NWN worth the trouble of downloading????I just want to know for sure before I go ahead,and attepmt to do it.Or maybe after I get my computer up,and running again after I crash and burn it.I can come back,and ask for help.Any opinion would be appreciated.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 12 Mar 2004 : 23:40:40
Hmmm...that definitely sounds like a software driver conflict issue though Bookwyrm. Especially if at any one time, either Video or Audio is affected. What are your system's specs...?

The Curst Monk was a little frustrating, but then it depends upon the character class your PC had. Which classes (this is probably going to generate an obvious answer) had you used previously against the Monk...?
Bookwyrm Posted - 12 Mar 2004 : 17:09:21
Well, I'd thought that my computer covered it all, but the video was still stuttering. I was seeing about one frame in 10. Yas advised me to download the newest video driver, which I'd overlooked because it had a difference in version number of something like .02 or such. That fixed it for one of my computers -- the one that still won't play sound. It didn't do a thing for the one that does play the game's sound and music.

But it's okay. Remember, I'm listening to History of Science while playing. I can concentrate on the lectures at almost every point in the game. About the only times I can't are when I'm reading something (which uses the same part of the brain as absorbing information from speech) or when I'm really, really frustrated because that Curst Monk just killed me again. (I got him after a while, but for some reason he was acting like he was Challenging rather than Moderate. Kept getting crits on me, resisting my spells, and deflecting my arrows.)
The Sage Posted - 12 Mar 2004 : 13:07:31
That's okay...

Sometimes this old Sage misses little things like that...
Winterfox Posted - 12 Mar 2004 : 07:51:09
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Dial-up...no, something...yes...

I actually meant that post for Vedsica. Oof. Sorry.
VEDSICA Posted - 12 Mar 2004 : 05:36:58
Thanks everyone so far.
The Sage Posted - 12 Mar 2004 : 01:54:32
A very valid point Yasraena.

Most of my gaming friends who have problems running CRPGs on their own systems often come to me for some kind of assistance. In nearly every case of computer problem (with regards to CRPGs) I've dealt with, the source of the conflict was a low-grade machine trying to operate a piece of software too high above their system's specs to work properly.

The key phrase to remember here, is to know your computers specs and capability, and read the system requirements of the game's box. If your computer's specs are equal to, or greater than those listed on the box, theoretically, you should have no problems.
Yasraena Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 23:05:08
Even though most of them (90%) ARE worth downloading, a word of caution. Some of the previous patches had bugs in them that would, after fixing the current bugs, create new problems within the game. I think Bioware has pretty much corrected this with the release of the HotU expansion and it's subsequent patches, but it's always a good practice to check out their community boards an see if there has been any problems with the latest patch. If there is a problem with it, you'll find out what it is, there.
I've also found that most of the problems with the game come from running it on low-end PC's. Basically machines that just barely conform to he minimum specs needed to play the game. If this is the case, no amount of patching will fix it. Only upgrading will.
Arivia Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 11:53:27
Yes, they are. Bioware has introduced enough sweeping changes in the updates that every five patches or so is a milestone, and anything created for that patch or later will not work for earlier versions. Use the Update utility within NWN to download the patches. They're much smaller that way(and the game will automatically install them for you).
The Sage Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 09:55:23
Dial-up...no, something...yes...

I know the average patch isn't that large (however it all depends upon the game, and your last update), but I'm the kind of obsessive who likes to have the most up-to-date patch available for my games. As such, having a program that does all the work for me, saves me the time that I would spend looking for the latest patches for all of the games I enjoy. I can then spend that extra time playing more games, reading, or whatever...
Winterfox Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 09:41:38
Are you on dial-up or something? The patches aren't that large, and yes, they're worth downloading -- they fix quite a lot of things. A list of what path 1.62 fixes can be found here.
The Sage Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 08:52:45
Hmmm...I designed and wrote, a nice little (Visual Basic) program that periodically searches valid websites for patches to most of my games (especially NWN and the official expansions), automatically downloads them, and then incorporates them into the game structure proper...all without me having to press a key, or click a mouse button...
Lord Rad Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 08:26:02
Im not sure of the content of the patches (maybe a list is available on the NWN site) but id recommend installing them. There will be a number of bugs that have been fixed that may otherwise hinder the game if you dont apply the patch.

Theyre very simple to install, you dont even have to go to the site to download, you can click the "upgrade" button or whatever on the initial NWN game screen.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000