Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 How about an app?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Caladan Brood Posted - 14 Feb 2013 : 18:32:03
Wouldn't it be nice to have an app with Forgotten Realms lore. Imagine an app, let's call it "Realmslore", which you could use to search up keywords, timelines, product titles and descriptions, neatly divided by edition. I guess making one is a violation of a gazillion copyrights, but maybe WotC would like to break into the app market a little bit more and this would certainly get my money.

My apologies, sincere at that, if the topic has been discussed to death, raised, buried again etc.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Caladan Brood Posted - 12 Mar 2013 : 20:21:18
I do have a lot of Realms PDFs on my phone, always nice for those dull toilet moments, but a searchable database would be the awesome, obviously. Anyway, a man can hope.
artificial_sunlight Posted - 01 Mar 2013 : 11:30:55
There are apps for D&D! But you need to be a DDI member to get to al kinds of Lore.
I don't have DDI sow I haven't tested any of them. The best looking app i found was not from Wizbro.

I don't think there is a legal free way to get FR lore on your phone/tablet.
Thrasymachus Posted - 28 Feb 2013 : 08:09:55
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Before there could be an app accessing a database of Realmslore, the database has to exist. And it doesn't. Steven Schend once said that TSR looked at creating one, but even then they found it cost prohibitive and time-consuming to create.

To do it now would require a team of people going thru and notating every reference, whether from a novel, a magazine, a sourcebook, a comic, a game, or a web article. And not just Realms material -- there are other bits of Realmslore scattered about, particularly in Planescape and Spelljammer canon.

And then, after you've collated all this data, then it has to be organized and cross-referenced.

Oh, and someone would have to stay on top of it all, too, updating it constantly...

It's a great idea, but it's not something that's going to happen any time soon. I don't think they'd undertake building this database without a massive amount of crowdsourcing.

All of my source books are on PDF's. I have started converting the novels to PDF's also. That's been slow going, but with the ebooks being released tossing them through a software converter to PDF's is a tempting time saver vs breaking the bindings, scan, formatting by hand, and saving to PDF.
I use Acrobat Reader's sort features of "Relevance", "File Name", "Date" (I edited this by release date to know what trumps what),and "Location" (I keep source in one folder and novels in another for this) to sort results.
Caladan Brood Posted - 14 Feb 2013 : 20:30:03
Of course there's the wiki and all that, too. It was just a thought that struck me, would be nice to have it all organized alphabetically, or by region, or by year etc. The sources are so scattered. On the laptop I use the "Search" function of Win7, which is extremely handy. If I type, say, "Candlekeep", all the relevant PDFs show up and I can search inside those too - but with an app, typing "Candlekeep" would bring up everything in one window. Ah, a man can dream (as he continues to dream about a wide-open sandbox Realms MMORPG) :-)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Feb 2013 : 19:27:26
Before there could be an app accessing a database of Realmslore, the database has to exist. And it doesn't. Steven Schend once said that TSR looked at creating one, but even then they found it cost prohibitive and time-consuming to create.

To do it now would require a team of people going thru and notating every reference, whether from a novel, a magazine, a sourcebook, a comic, a game, or a web article. And not just Realms material -- there are other bits of Realmslore scattered about, particularly in Planescape and Spelljammer canon.

And then, after you've collated all this data, then it has to be organized and cross-referenced.

Oh, and someone would have to stay on top of it all, too, updating it constantly...

It's a great idea, but it's not something that's going to happen any time soon. I don't think they'd undertake building this database without a massive amount of crowdsourcing.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 14 Feb 2013 : 19:18:28
GoogleFaerun
Kentinal Posted - 14 Feb 2013 : 19:00:47
I would worry about the legal issues, however it certainly might be possible for WotC to make an app that searched its website. Maybe decide to include others like Candlekeep. It strikes me it might be a programer nightmare and as WotC has a history of redesigning its website that the search might have to search different places to find the same reference.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000