Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Canon characters in the video games

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Light Posted - 01 Mar 2011 : 07:02:01
After finding out that you can meet Obould in NWN on another thread I began wondering if there were any other canon characters in the various video games. So does anyone have a list of appearances of canon characters?

Pending
  • Durnan possibly appears in the 1997 'Descent to Undermountain [credit: Tamsar]
Other Notes
  • Possible other Mulsantir characters in NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer (I do not have the game...need confirmation of any characters) [credit: BlackAce]
  • Possibly several characters from the 1997 'Descent to Undermountain' (I do not have the game...need confirmation of any characters) [credit: Tamsar]
  • Thieran has a theory (top of page 2) about the mage 'Sydney' from the Icewind Dale Trilogy and her possible appearance in Neverwinter Nights I (chapter 2E)
Here is the list so far:

Alias
Game: Curse of the Azure Bonds
Source: The Finder's Stone Trilogy, Hall of Heroes
Alusair Obarskyr
Game: Pool of Darkness
Source: Cormyr, Cormyr: A Novel, The Grand History of the Realms
Alyth Elendara
Game: Baldur's Gate I, Dark Alliance I
Source: Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd Edition
Arklem Greeth
Game: Neverwinter Nights I
Source: The Pirate King, Lords of Darkness
Artemis Entreri
Game: Baldur's Gate II
Baram
Source: Volo's Guide to the North
Belt
Game: Baldur's Gate I
Source: Forgotten Realms Adventures, Races of Faerūn
Bentley Mirrorshade
Source: Volo’s Guide to the Sword Coast
Bruenor Battlehammer
Game: Baldur's Gate II, Demon Stone
Source: Silver Marches
Cadderly Bonaduce
Source: Passage to Dawn, Ghost King, Servant of the Shard
Catti-brie
Game: Baldur's Gate II, Demon Stone
Source: A Reader's Guide to R. A. Salvatore's the Legend of Drizz
Cyric
Game: Baldur's Gate: Throne of Bhaal
Source: Faiths and Pantheons
Demogorgon
Game: Baldur's Gate: Throne of Bhaal
Source: Book of Vile Darkness, Monster Mythology
Dragonbait
Source: The Finder's Stone Trilogy
Drizzt Do'Urden
Game: Baldur's Gate I & II, Demon Stone
Durnan
Game: Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
Source: Expedition to Undermountain, City of Splendors: Waterdeep
Elaith Craulnober
Source: Songs and Swords Series, Waterdeep and the North
Eldrith "The Betrayer"
Game: Dark Alliance I
Source: Races of Faerūn
Elminster Aumar
Game: Baldur's Gate I & II & TOB, Pool of Darkness, Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor
Eltan
Source: Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd Edition, Races of Faerūn
Entar Silvershield
Source: Power of Faerūn, The Grand History of the Realms
Fyldrin of the Eleven Chairs
Game: Neverwinter Nights: Mask of the Betrayer
Source: Unapproachable East
Fzoul Chembryl
Source: Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide
Jarlaxle
Karsus
Game: Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide
Source: Netheril: Empire of Magic
Kelddath Ormlyr
Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun
Game: Demon Stone, Eye of the Beholder II
Source: City of Splendors: Waterdeep
Kurth
Liia Jannath
Malchor Harpell
Source: City of Splendors: Waterdeep, The Savage Frontier
Mephistopheles
Game: Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
Source: Shadowbred, Book of Vile Darkness
Nasher Alagondar
Game: Neverwinter Nights I & II
Source: The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier
Obould
Game: Neverwinter Nights
Ophala Cheldarstorn
Game: Neverwinter Nights I & II
Source: The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier
Ravenscar
Regis
Source: The Ghost King
Renal Bloodscalp
Source: Lands of Intrigue
Rimardo Domine
Source: Lords of Darkness
Shangalar the Black
Shelvedar Nuum
Sheva Whitefeather

Shyressa
Suljack
Taerom Fuiruim
Tethtoril
Source: Volo’s Guide to the Sword Coast
Thibbledorf Pwent
Game: Demon Stone
Source: Siege of Darkness
Tyranthraxus
Game: Curse of the Azure Bonds, Pool of Radiance
Source: Villains' Lorebook
Ulraunt
Valindra Shadowmantle
Vaxall
Volothamp Geddarm
Game: Baldur's Gate I & TOB, Neverwinter Nights: Storm of Zehir
Source: .....Volo's Works?
Wulfgar
Source: Silver Marches
Zallanora Argentresses / Shoon VII
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 10 Oct 2024 : 00:49:46
I seem to recall Szass Tam being “alluded” to in Planescape Torment … or it may have been in the novelisation. Might need to double check that.
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 09 Oct 2024 : 19:52:24
Note: Drizzt Do'Urden also appears in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2. Artemis Entreri is also in Dark Alliance 2.
Light Posted - 09 Oct 2024 : 13:59:03
What about characters making cameos? I can think of at least 3. Elminster, Volo and Vlaakith CLVII. Can you think of any others? I am playing through with my brother and we missed significant parts of the game so far. There must be others we have missed.
Seravin Posted - 07 Oct 2024 : 18:11:13
I think the issue is that so little source material has come out recently for FR since BG3 was released. There is a FR Sourcebook update coming out, that's probably the best chance we'll get to see if any of the BG3 NPCs/people become canon
Light Posted - 07 Oct 2024 : 15:50:12
Why hello everybody. Now that Baldur's Gate 3 has been out for quite some time I thought I'd see if anybody knows of any characters we can add to the list.

So, do you know of any characters appearing in BG3 (or other games) that exist in other Forgotten Realms material (campaign settings, magazines, novels etc.)?
Zireael Posted - 02 Sep 2011 : 08:33:46
Canon: Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, game: Baldur's Gate.

Ulraunt, Tethtoril, Berrun Ghastkill, Bentley Cloakshadow and his wife, Taerom Fuirum.
Thelonius Posted - 01 Sep 2011 : 11:49:01
In your list I don't see Ribald. He is mentioned in Baldur's Gate I and appears as the Adventurer's Mart shop owner in Waukeen's Promenade in Shadows of Amn. I think he is cannon character, yet not sure of the sourcebook he appears in.
Light Posted - 01 Sep 2011 : 07:02:45
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

My suggestion regarding Sydney didn't convince you, then?

I guess your reasoning is sound but.....it's all speculation. I'll put it into the notes section or maybe the pending. Who knows, maybe one day I'll come around.
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

They all appear in NWN 2 MotB, and are in canon Unapproachable East sourcebook.
Aha! Yes they are! Page 146 in fact.
Zireael Posted - 31 Aug 2011 : 16:04:28
quote:
# Fyldrin of the Eleven Chairs (reference needed [credit: Zireael]
# Shelvedar Nuum (reference needed) [credit: Zireael]
# Sheva Whitefeather (reference needed) [credit: Zireael]

They all appear in NWN 2 MotB, and are in canon Unapproachable East sourcebook.
Thieran Posted - 31 Aug 2011 : 10:51:12
My suggestion regarding Sydney didn't convince you, then?
Light Posted - 31 Aug 2011 : 08:07:05
Well I'm back from the dead and it's time for an overhaul of this scroll. I've changed to format of the character index so that it 1) looks better and 2) is easier to use. Also now included in the opening post is a status update of all 'pending' characters and other 'notes'. Sorry to everyone who has posted since I dropped off the face of the earth (it's just a couple of posts though).
quote:
Originally posted by Tamsar

Surely there must have been some canon NPC's in Descent to Undermountain. Been ages since I tried playing it, but I'm pretty sure I recall at least Durnan, as you start off in the yawning Portal.

Unfortunately I don't have the game....maybe I'll try to get it or maybe I'll see if I can track down a walktrhough that might tell me the name of some characters that appear in it or something...
Tamsar Posted - 03 Aug 2011 : 00:53:47
Surely there must have been some canon NPC's in Descent to Undermountain. Been ages since I tried playing it, but I'm pretty sure I recall at least Durnan, as you start off in the yawning Portal.
Tamsar Posted - 03 Aug 2011 : 00:49:21
Been a while but I'm pretty sure the owner of the Elfsong Tavern is in BG, 1/2 elf female Ranger7 Alyth Elendara. Mentioned in Volos guide to the Sword Coast.

Edit: Nvm, I see she is already on the List.
Lord Karsus Posted - 03 Jul 2011 : 15:28:39
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

...and at one point you get to play as Drizzt.

-Funnest part in an otherwise underwhelming and somewhat crappy game.

-Don't know if it's relevant or not, but the Undrentide Enclave is canon, now. Not the events in the video game, but it's existence itself.
Thieran Posted - 03 Jul 2011 : 11:55:35
I always wondered whether the Hosttower mage Sydney Natale who plays some role in Neverwinter Nights 2 might be the Hosttower mage Sydney from Streams of Silver. The latter - an acquaintance of Harkle Harpell, BTW - is killed by Catti-Brie at the end of the book, as far as I remember, so either NWN2's Sydney Natale (NWN2 is set before SoS, see below) is an homage, or she was raised after C-B killed her.

Clues (apart from the same name and them belonging to the Hosttower):
In Streams of Silver, Sydney (no further name is given, I think) is described as being ambitious, "car[ing] little for physical appearances" and being 25 years old - all three features fit the NWN2 character nicely: compare the NWN2 in-game description "Heavyset with unkempt hair and a frumpy dress, this Luskan mage still carries herself with a regal bearing"; NWN2-Sydney is indeed not the most beautiful figure in the game ( http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071009185251/nwn2/images/thumb/5/50/Sydney_natale.jpg/327px-Sydney_natale.jpg ), and she is depicted as a middle-aged woman (see picture): Streams of Silver is set in 1356 DR and NWN2 in 1374 DR, so SoS-Sydney would have been 43 years old in 1374 DR.

What do you think? Too many coincidences there for my taste.
Zireael Posted - 03 Jul 2011 : 10:04:23
quote:
Originally posted by MisterX

May I ask where excactly Artemis entrery is being encountered in BG2?

In Bodhi's lair, when you come to destroy her. I think he shows up only if we get Drizzt to help, though.
MisterX Posted - 03 Jul 2011 : 02:34:38
May I ask where excactly Artemis entrery is being encountered in BG2?
Zireael Posted - 10 Mar 2011 : 08:58:26
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

Not really a novel apperance but pretty much every NPC in Mulsantir in NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer is lifted straight from the Mulsantir entry in Unapproachable East.

Sheva Whitefeather, Fyldrin of the Eleven Chairs, Shelvedar Nuum. Confirmed.
Light Posted - 09 Mar 2011 : 06:13:59
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

Not really a novel apperance but pretty much every NPC in Mulsantir in NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer is lifted straight from the Mulsantir entry in Unapproachable East.
I don't have either of the NWN2 expansion so unfortunately there isn't really anyway for me to check on their names. I was thinking of buying them though and hoping that they will still play on the computer (computer is unfortunately lacking in a quality video card these days).
Alisttair Posted - 08 Mar 2011 : 13:55:39
Ophala Cheldarstorn of the Moonstone Mask. She is I believe in NWN 1. She is also I think in Volo's Guide to the North.
BlackAce Posted - 08 Mar 2011 : 13:12:13
Alisttair Posted - 08 Mar 2011 : 12:56:47
That's like taking Drizzt's stuff. You can play with his toys for only a little while until I think it's Malchor Harpell who comes to take it away (so ummm, add Harpell to the list for BG2)
Light Posted - 08 Mar 2011 : 11:47:03
Renal Bloodscalp will be added. Actually I always disliked this guy, he always seemed up himself. Never could kill him though or Arkanis Gath would appear and BAM!
Zireael Posted - 05 Mar 2011 : 16:13:24
I meant Ravenscar.

EDIT: Renal Bloodscalp, from Baldur's Gate II, is canon (Lands of Intrigue).
Light Posted - 05 Mar 2011 : 14:41:03
quote:
Originally posted by Lily M Green
Good scroll btw!
Thanks!

Unfortunately though I believe that the 'thief guild leader' that Zireael was talking about would be Ravenscar (forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ravenscar) as opposed to Kharne. Kharne was my favourite character in the Dark Alliance series and unfortunately there seems to be nothing on him.
Zireael Posted - 05 Mar 2011 : 13:13:50
quote:
Actually are all the people mentioned in Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate (in the bg manual of course) canon? Because Bentley Mirrorshade, Kelddath Ormlyr and Taerom Fuiruim are all in there and are also mentioned elsewhere.

They are, see Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast.
Lily M Green Posted - 05 Mar 2011 : 12:40:17
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Alyth is also in the Baldur's Gate I and yes, she's canon (she's in FRCS, as is the leader of the thieves' guild of Baldur's Gate, can't remember his name).

Kharne (Karne)? If that's who you mean then hat's really useful to know, I've been searching for some more information on him. Thanks :)

& Light, sorry for the confusion. I didn't / don't think that you could actually meet her (Madame Litaar) in game but she's listed in Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II. Good scroll btw!
Light Posted - 05 Mar 2011 : 09:00:27
quote:

Alyth is also in the Baldur's Gate I and yes, she's canon (she's in FRCS, as is the leader of the thieves' guild of Baldur's Gate, can't remember his name).

Will add Alyth and Ravenscar (thieve's guild leader). Actually are all the people mentioned in Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate (in the bg manual of course) canon? Because Bentley Mirrorshade, Kelddath Ormlyr and Taerom Fuiruim are all in there and are also mentioned elsewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Lily M Green
Madam Litaar from The Threat From The Sea trilogy is one who features (In Volo's Guide under the section for Velen) but the description of her home is different from that which appears in the novels IIRC and didn't know you could encounter her in game?
Um..you've lost me. Are you saying that she is in the game?
Zireael Posted - 05 Mar 2011 : 08:02:19
Lily M Green Posted - 04 Mar 2011 : 22:17:02
quote:

There were several more characters from Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast in Baldur's Gate. Off my head: Taerom Fuirum surely. I don't have time right now to check several others...

@ Light: Maybe putting the novel/sourcebook in which the character is (aside from the most-wellknown) would be a good idea?

Madam Litaar from The Threat From The Sea trilogy is one who features (In Volo's Guide under the section for Velen) but the description of her home is different from that which appears in the novels IIRC and didn't know you could encounter her in game?

Drizzit & Artemis are unlockable playable characters in the Baldur's Gate : Dark Alliance games but they don't actually add much to the experience TBH.

BTW: Does anyone know if 'Jherek' from the dark alliance games is the same one from Threat from the Sea?

ETA: Uh, sorry, Alystra already mentioned the DA playables.... Serves me right for jumping in.

ETA: Again! I might be wrong but I believe that Alyth @ the Elfsong Tavern in Dark Alliance is canon.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000