Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Forbidden Sands of Anauroch Comic

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Exquisite Dead Guy Posted - 11 Jun 2007 : 19:43:23
I know it's not about a novel, but it's still a book.

http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/novels/fsoa1.htm
http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/novels/fsoa2.htm

Has anyone read the two of these? I know the series never finished, but I'm wondering if they are worth tracking down.

Thanks.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Archwizard Posted - 17 Jun 2007 : 23:57:58
I got them cheap off ebay as part of a larger purchase of FR material. I was very unimpressed by them, thank heaven I paid a couple of bucks for the two of them with free shipping for combining it with stuff I wanted anyway.

The two books published offered practically nothing about the characters, what little they did show were nothing more than shallow hints of characterization. The story jumped along with little regard to pacing - or plot for that matter. The comic had no ties to Realmslore aside from maybe a few place names, if at that. This might have been forgivable if they developed places unvisited before and showed us some interesting takes on them, but they didn't. I found the art lackluster, it's that heavy outline style with sharp faces like for the anime/CCG/manga Yu-Gi-Oh. I really dislike that style. That was just the line work; the coloring was hectic and over the top, making everything in the comics look unflattering if not clownish.

I think the creative people for the comic got caught up in the idea of doing an story set in FR with a manga style (bridging a popular setting with a popular format). Their thinking seemed to emphasis marketing over producing a quality product. They did not realize that ultimately execution counts for a whole lot. They ended up making a cheap, superficial imitation of the manga/comic medium with their attempt at an FR story that turn out to be nothing more than some poorly pieced together generic fantasy schlock. This sad attempt failed at pretty much everything; characterization, plot, setting portrayal, art style, and even personal touch (which it was complete devoid of). What gets me the most is the potential the idea could have had if given to a team of competent writers and artists.

Now I keep them around as an example of what shouldn't be done. This is harsh, I rarely clap down on a work so strongly, but in this case it's deservedly so.
MerrikCale Posted - 17 Jun 2007 : 04:49:48
I just saw this on e-bay myself. Steering clear of it thanks to you peeps
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 14 Jun 2007 : 00:12:45
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I've...never even heard of these books. Then again, I don't really follow the comic scene, even though I *do* follow the FR scene.

I'd never heard of them until long after they were out of print -- and I was, at various times in my life, into comics. I believe my first exposure to these comics came from eBay.

That's pretty funny!
Alaundo Posted - 13 Jun 2007 : 08:29:30
quote:
Originally posted by The Grumpy Celt

Wooly Rupert, I don't care if it is magical, I don't want anything to do with your sack.

Heh.

Who published the comics?

Well met

They were produced by Twenty-First Century Comics. As to whether they are still active, I don't know. A quick search in Google may have the answer.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jun 2007 : 05:28:59

Dunno... I just moved, so mine are in storage right now.
The Grumpy Celt Posted - 13 Jun 2007 : 04:46:20
Wooly Rupert, I don't care if it is magical, I don't want anything to do with your sack.

Heh.

Who published the comics?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jun 2007 : 00:25:34
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I've...never even heard of these books. Then again, I don't really follow the comic scene, even though I *do* follow the FR scene.

I'd never heard of them until long after they were out of print -- and I was, at various times in my life, into comics. I believe my first exposure to these comics came from eBay.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 23:41:37
Xysma Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 04:09:21
I've got them and I was not overly impressed, but I'm glad to have them in my sack of completeness . Some of the artwork is pretty cool, but I'm not a huge fan of manga style art, if you're a fan of that style of artwork, you'd probably like them.
The Hooded One Posted - 11 Jun 2007 : 23:22:45
Oohhhh, Wooly (purrrr), no instance of my hitting the sack will be complete without you . . . I want to lock my fingers in your curliest wool and tug . . . tug . . .

love,
THO
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Jun 2007 : 21:24:46
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

I'd only track them down for sack of completeness... I have them, and I'm not impressed by them.

And I never have understood why it was a hardcover comic book...

Oooo oo, finally I get to pull Wooly up on his typo for a change

What do ye keep in thy sack of completeness, Wooly? I can't seem to locate the item in the Magic Item Compendium

The sack of completeness is a wonderful item, from what I understand. Unfortunately, it requires a complete collection to function correctly. That part I'm still working on, so I don't know what, exactly, the sack will do...

And hey, I never claimed to be perfect. Nearly so, yes, but not 100%

See what happens when you think about the lovely Lady Hooded One while typing up a reply?*

(And yes, that is the official excuse I'm sticking with! )
Alaundo Posted - 11 Jun 2007 : 20:48:53
quote:

I'd only track them down for sack of completeness... I have them, and I'm not impressed by them.

Oooo oo, finally I get to pull Wooly up on his typo for a change

What do ye keep in thy sack of completeness, Wooly? I can't seem to locate the item in the Magic Item Compendium
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Jun 2007 : 20:21:06

Alaundo Posted - 11 Jun 2007 : 19:46:02
Well met

Aye, i've read them and to be honest, I wasn't impressed. I'm no fan of that particular style of artwork, which didn't help, but the whole tome seemed to lack a Realms feel.

The series was to be in six parts, but was pulled after two volumes. 'nuff said

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000