Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Extinction - War of the Spider Queen book 4

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lord Rad Posted - 07 May 2003 : 18:29:46
Just checked the WotC FR release schedule for 2003 and Extinction has disappeared completely!! It was down before as being released in July. Can any FR authors shed any light on this?

Also, Twilight Falling has been postponed for a month Are you still in Candlekeep, Paul Kemp? Any ideas why? im gutted
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Shadowlord Posted - 02 Feb 2004 : 04:56:27
Umm, I'm not sure if they get B.C. in Europe, but the cavemen comic strip is funny.
Bellua Aeneus Lacerta Posted - 02 Feb 2004 : 03:19:11
Extinction?--Sure, some things got extinguished in Halistra...

Now, what I think of the book....hmmm...

All I can think of is that clam in the B.C. comic strip shouting;

"DROW GOTS FEELINGS!"
R0GUE Posted - 01 Feb 2004 : 19:08:16
Well, apparently we are not allowed to have more than one thread dedicated to a single book, (I DID check the index for topics on the title of Extinction, Alaundo, this thread has nothing to do with that, but Oh well). So I am going to post agin here.

*BIG SPOILERS*

Ok, just finished Extinction last night. Great book. Lisa Smedman did a WONDERFUL job keeping up with our favorite drow characters. But I have one minor nitpick. The title. Extinction? Ever since this series came out, I figured this novel, would be one with a MAJOR turn of events, such as Menzoberranzan being conquered and the vast majority of drow being huted down and put to death. That is simply what the title implies. Instead, Gromph comes back and the forces of Menzo win the day, at least for now. The duergar and Tanurruks are turned back, House Dyrr is purged, and no one (except maybe House Dyrr) is gone extinct.

Do you think these titles are metaphorical for something? If so is it something that will be revealed at the end of the series, that we can't see happening yet? Because this title was quite misleading. The other novels I felt were more appropriately titled by the way. If the next book is called "Annhiliation" shouldn't that infer that Menzoberranzan is levelled and laid to waste? Or am I being to picky? Sorry i just believe that titles should mean something.
The Sage Posted - 13 Jan 2004 : 11:57:01
Yes I remember...

But in answer to your question, no...you were not the member who had forgotten to answer my questions. If I had had any questions for you, I would probably have posted them here, knowing that you frequent these boards as well.

To be sure, I've just contact this 'source' again...about three hours ago. He promised a reply before the day was ended...

Thomas M. Reid Posted - 12 Jan 2004 : 17:44:55
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I forget to ask this in my last post, and besides, I dislike answering a question with a question so -

Why do you ask, Mr Reid?...

I just wanted to be certain it wasn't me who had failed to answer your questions on the WotC message boards. I had contributed to the discussion on those boards about when Extinction was due out, and there were so many pronouns in the last few messages in this thread about who said what, I just wasn't sure. So I was just trying to make sure I didn't miss answering something that you had asked me, not prying about the identity of your source.

Thomas
The Sage Posted - 09 Jan 2004 : 04:53:52
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid

quote:

Actually I was aware of this, having discussed a number of topics (about Extinction and the other books in the series)with him already on the WotC boards.

Unfortunately he has yet respond to my latest email with regards to Extinction...

Sage,

To whom are you referring? Who won't respond?

Thomas

I forget to ask this in my last post, and besides, I dislike answering a question with a question so -

Why do you ask, Mr Reid?...

The Sage Posted - 09 Jan 2004 : 04:51:56
My 'unofficial' connection to all the latest news on the Realms, here in Australia...sorry I can't be more specific, but he likes it that way.... I can say though, that he is a scribe here at Candlekeep also, or at least was.
Thomas M. Reid Posted - 08 Jan 2004 : 15:50:30
quote:

Actually I was aware of this, having discussed a number of topics (about Extinction and the other books in the series)with him already on the WotC boards.

Unfortunately he has yet respond to my latest email with regards to Extinction...

Sage,

To whom are you referring? Who won't respond?

Thomas
The Sage Posted - 08 Jan 2004 : 09:04:40
I actually needed an answer for a Realms-related question that I, believe it or not, could not obtain here...sorry Alaundo...
Lord Rad Posted - 08 Jan 2004 : 08:39:53
quote:
[brActually I was aware of this, having discussed a number of topics (about Extinction and the other books in the series)with him already on the WotC boards.

And what on earth were you venturing from the walls of Candlekeep to such a dire place for, Sage?!
SiriusBlack Posted - 08 Jan 2004 : 03:45:06
quote:

Author's pet. Wait a minute, he's NOT responding to your email? Bad author's pet. Bad!
The Sage Posted - 08 Jan 2004 : 02:56:33
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Additionally, someone in the Land Down Under mentioned on the WOTC board that he/she already has the novel. Thus, it's apparently out there and making its way slowly to the hands of eager readers.

Lord Rad Posted - 07 Jan 2004 : 17:01:21
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Here's an FYI for all those waiting for this book. Thomas Reid posted on the WOTC board that, after speaking to Phillip Athans (Head deity for FR books and author of the next novel in this series), Extinction is set to hit stores very soon within the U.S. I've seen one online dealer I've dealt with in the past having listed the novel as available for a week now.

Additionally, someone in the Land Down Under mentioned on the WOTC board that he/she already has the novel. Thus, it's apparently out there and making its way slowly to the hands of eager readers.

::drool:: Thanks for the info SiriusBlack. If anyone here in Candlekeep manages to locate a copy then shout up so we know the rumors are true!

I cant wait
SiriusBlack Posted - 07 Jan 2004 : 14:24:57
Here's an FYI for all those waiting for this book. Thomas Reid posted on the WOTC board that, after speaking to Phillip Athans (Head deity for FR books and author of the next novel in this series), Extinction is set to hit stores very soon within the U.S. I've seen one online dealer I've dealt with in the past having listed the novel as available for a week now.

The Sage Posted - 31 Dec 2003 : 07:25:28
cough...self-important h...cough

The Cardinal Posted - 31 Dec 2003 : 07:12:04
Well... let's just say the open border is not so open and it being the largest unprotected border may be a thing of the past... Relations don't seem to be in the best of lights right now... Terrorist, War, Lumber disputes... Mad cow.... When it rains it pours.. and to quote a funny but horrible movie "Blame Canada".... Which may or may not be true....... But as Alaundo May say *Deepens voice and booms while waving his broken mop:
"But what does that have to do with Realmslore ?!"
So I will take my leave of it now... before something dreadful happens to me... Like being smote by the Staff of Irritated Moderator +3.... Couldn't allow that to happen... I just don't know if the keep could survive without me...
The Sage Posted - 31 Dec 2003 : 06:16:42
That's a little strange. Being so close to the United States, I would think Canada has easy, and more importantly early access to virtually any and all WotC gaming materials sold...at least much easier and earlier than here in Australia?.

As it is here, I regularly receive my mail-orders within a week of them being released in the US.

The Cardinal Posted - 30 Dec 2003 : 17:49:53
I haven't read the book..infact it would probably take an extra four months before I even see it here (How I hate living on the other side of the spine of the world...and don't even begin to think how long my quest to obtain the BoVD was which reminds me I have to find that accursed BoED). I do, however, recomend reading that exerpt which rad so wonderfully pointed out to us. Many thanks to Rad (best to say now lest I forget)...well... there it is then...hhmm
*Shrugs and wanders off*
The Sage Posted - 30 Dec 2003 : 11:11:16
I think Pharaun's overall loyalty is only part of the equation...However, I really don't think we should say anymore, as there may be some people who have not read this particular book, or any other books in the series for that matter.

If you want to say anything further, don't forget to mention that your post could contain SPOILERS!!!

The Cardinal Posted - 30 Dec 2003 : 09:19:27
Well that depends....
Whether he was TRUELY loyal or not... for it is for The GREAT Lolth to Decide...
The Sage Posted - 30 Dec 2003 : 09:13:56
If he did that Cardinal, there really wouldn't be much of a story to tell then would there?.

The Cardinal Posted - 30 Dec 2003 : 08:44:55
The Gall of Pharaun!!!!... But... I am anxious to see what may become of this little 'family reunion'....OOHHHHH!! I must know.... I pray Pharaun will get what's coming to him. He should put his faith in the spider queen as that is the only logical thing to do... He treads a dangerous path, although I'll favor a Pharaun over a drizzt anyday
Victory to the Spider Queen!
Yasraena Posted - 30 Dec 2003 : 08:26:28
Thanks for that link Rad!
Yep sounds very cool so far.
Too bad it was only that little snippet. Although that little bit only reinfornces my admiration for Pharaun. He is just too baaad!! Needless to say I'll be picking this one up when it comes out in Jan.
Lord Rad Posted - 29 Dec 2003 : 11:28:14
Woohoooo check this out!

Sounding good on the opening chapter anyway!

Thomas M. Reid Posted - 09 May 2003 : 03:22:07
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
Thanks for the info Thomas. But I dont know how you can say seven months isnt long to wait...... especially with the way you ended Insurrection!! ARGH!! Now THAT is one hell of a cliffhanger! My heart is racing again just thinking about it!! Phew! EXCELLENT novel.

Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate them.

As for the seven months, it's less time than a woman must carry a child in her womb, and anyone who's done that (or been with someone who has) knows the last two months are the worst. So find a woman who's 8 or 9 months along and ask her if 7 months is so terrible.

In all seriousness, I do understand the anticipation. With the lead times we authors have in delivering the manuscripts to the editor, it's almost that long for us to see our own books come out. So I do empathize. But the wait will make getting a hold of the next one that much sweeter when it finally arrives.

Thomas
Lord Rad Posted - 08 May 2003 : 17:29:29
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid

But seven months isn't that long to wait, and there will be other FR stuff to read that comes out between now and then to keep you busy.

Thomas

Thanks for the info Thomas. But I dont know how you can say seven months isnt long to wait...... especially with the way you ended Insurrection!! ARGH!! Now THAT is one hell of a cliffhanger! My heart is racing again just thinking about it!! Phew! EXCELLENT novel.
Thomas M. Reid Posted - 08 May 2003 : 14:34:14
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
Oops, yeah thats what i meant But its a LONG way off to get this dont you think? Although i cant remember where I first saw it, im sure the release date was as I said in July.

Almost right, but with a caveat. If you look at the frontmatter of Dissolution, you'll see the titles of the six books and their release dates--as they were originally planned. According to that, Lisa Smedman's Extinction would be released in August (not July) of 2003.

Except all of that changed right after Dissolution came out. WotC decided the release dates were coming too closely together (it also had something to do with editor Phil Athan's schedule being impossibly tight) and decided to space them out a little more. (I know, for all you eager readers out there.) So if you look in the frontmatter of my book (and Rich Baker's Condemnation, too), you'll now see that Extinction is due out in January of 2004.

So you didn't imagine it. But seven months isn't that long to wait, and there will be other FR stuff to read that comes out between now and then to keep you busy.

Thomas
PaulSKemp Posted - 08 May 2003 : 13:42:50
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Also, Twilight Falling has been postponed for a month Are you still in Candlekeep, Paul Kemp? Any ideas why? im gutted

Rad, I understand from my editor that WoTC wanted to time the release of Twilight Falling more closely to GenCon, as it is (at least ostensibly) a "big" book for 2003. Hence, the move of the release date from July to August. If past experience is any teacher, I suspect you'll be able to find it on shelves in Mid-July though.

Paul
Lord Rad Posted - 08 May 2003 : 08:54:00
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

Isn't Extinction book IV?

Oops, yeah thats what i meant But its a LONG way off to get this dont you think? Although i cant remember where I first saw it, im sure the release date was as I said in July.
SiriusBlack Posted - 08 May 2003 : 05:52:51
Yes, Extinction is Book IV and is due out January of 2004 from what I recall. Condemnation is Book III and should be in my hands by this time tomorrow if UPS delivers it as promised.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000