Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Unclean (The Haunted Lands, #1) - A brief review

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 22:37:55
Well met

Having had the honor and opportunity to read Unclean (The Haunded Lands, book 1) by Richard Lee Byers ahead of release, I thought I'd share a brief review of sorts with my fellow Realms fans. Note that I haven't included any particulars or spoilers herein.

My hopes were high for this book. Firstly, RLB is one of my favorite authors and his books have never failed to impress me. Secondly, Thay is one of the most intriguing and dark areas of the Realms for me and it never gets enough coverage in novels, in my opinion. This novel sure remedied that! The story jumps straight in and paints a fantastic, detailed image of Thay. For the first number of chapters it is just as good as reading a sourcebook on the nation. For those who are not familiar with Thay, all will be laid out clearly here in the way of the land, the rulers, Zulkir's and general feel of the place. Those who are familiar with Thay will love this even moreso! RLB certainly brings Thay to life in this book and the dark and oppressive atmosphere is very well depicted.

The characters are very colorful. Some, of course, you'll know from existing Realmslore. Zulkir's and Red Wizards appear in abundance and the additional characters of the story are varied and interesting (and some, quite disturbing!). The story is full of mystery and intrigue and contains all the scheming and backstabbing you'd expect from Thay, and is the perfect opening novel to the trilogy. Needless to say, I'm very excited to see what happens in the next book. I was left feeling very fulfilled, and somewhat (pleasantly) exhausted from this book.

This is Thay at it's darkest and most disturbing! Some of the scenes will haunt me for some time yet.

I'm sure that Realms fans will thoroughly enjoy this. I hope to see many of you join in the Book Club for "Unclean" and look forward to hearing of your thoughts.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fillow Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 18:55:52
Thanks a lot for it Richard.
I want more !
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 13:10:40
I'm glad you're enjoying it, Fillow.
Fillow Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 05:29:38
almost finsihed this opus.
After have read Red magic, I did not really wanted to read more about Thay, its wizards and its vilains.

But I was surprised in a good way. I discovered realistic people, real Thayans. I do not see Thay as a only lair of bad mages anymore.
I just found some words difficult to understand -those which are linked to undead thematic- but the manner Richard writes is easy to read for a "non-English-language-born" reader.

According to me, a great novel.
Thanks to Richard Lee Byers for it.
Now, I go to read the 30 last pages and I will enter the sequel in few days.
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 18 Mar 2007 : 20:24:08
I am very much anticipating this novel and it's fellows to follow it. Thay is one of my favorite regions and has been since I first discovered the Realms, and the fact that RLB is the author makes me want it even more.

I was excitied that we get got to see some of Szass Tam's obvious magical power as well as his cunning. I was just as confused as Homen by his reactions to their inglorious retreat over the river. What are his plans?!
Xysma Posted - 16 Mar 2007 : 20:06:10
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Those who are familiar with Thay will love this even moreso! RLB certainly brings Thay to life in this book and the dark and oppressive atmosphere is very well depicted.

Thanks Alaundo for this review, it has me even more excited about this trilogy. I've always been fascinated with Thay and can't wait to see more of it.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 15 Mar 2007 : 20:19:07
Thanks, Damon, I'm glad you liked it.
Damon33 Posted - 15 Mar 2007 : 20:15:12
I have to say I also loved Unclean as well. My review is up at http://www.fantasybookspot.com/node/1669 Im happy that we have a little more information about Thay now :) RLB did a great job.
Thente Thunderspells Posted - 01 Mar 2007 : 17:15:43
I just wanted to say that I'm definitely looking forward to this trilogy! I have enjoyed all of RLB's stuff up to this point and Alaundo's review has got me excited for this one too

The only problem with trilogy's is that you have to wait so LONG for books 2 & 3 to come out ^_^
Victor_ograygor Posted - 26 Feb 2007 : 22:32:39
Thanks Richard Lee Byers that was just what I wanted to hear .
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 26 Feb 2007 : 19:40:56
Victor: I'm reluctant to tell very much about the trilogy for fear of spoiling the surprises, but I guess it won't do any harm to say that all the zulkirs wander through at one point or another.
Daviot Posted - 26 Feb 2007 : 14:44:30
After having the pleasure of reading the sample chapter over at Wizards, it's definitely something I shall be looking forward to. I certainly hope it to be as Alaundo's generically non-spoiler blurb indicated.
Victor_ograygor Posted - 26 Feb 2007 : 13:04:19
Ahhh.. I walked down to my book store exited like a little child. I just wanted to buy the book after I reading Alaundo great review of Unclean, and he said that he will have it in the 16 mats. I Was shocked! .... Now I am waiting, still exited

Hey Alaundo/ Richard Lee Byers which of the Zulkir's do we hear of?

Lets have a little more
Alaundo Posted - 26 Feb 2007 : 08:29:48
Well met

Ahem, let us not deviate too far from the subject of Unclean. Thank ye
MerrikCale Posted - 26 Feb 2007 : 01:10:30
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by nbnmare
EDIT: Incidentally, given WotC's obsession with the drow, I'm somewhat amazed they didn't jump on the excuse to create a Realms of the Drow anthology to tie-in with either the War of the Spider Queen, nor with the Lady Penitent.

Well, they've already had a Realms of the Underdark. Not that Underdark has to equal drow, but the stories in that book were mostly drow-focused.

True, but it was punlished quite some time ago. I wonder if the WOTC authors are all "drowed out"
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 25 Feb 2007 : 22:19:17
quote:
Originally posted by nbnmare
EDIT: Incidentally, given WotC's obsession with the drow, I'm somewhat amazed they didn't jump on the excuse to create a Realms of the Drow anthology to tie-in with either the War of the Spider Queen, nor with the Lady Penitent.

Well, they've already had a Realms of the Underdark. Not that Underdark has to equal drow, but the stories in that book were mostly drow-focused.
The Sage Posted - 24 Feb 2007 : 23:57:37
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, there's another "Realms of" anthology (not counting Elaine's Best) to see release before Realms of the Undead.
love,
THO

Hehe...

This still makes me laugh -- for reasons which will become obvious soon enough!
nbnmare Posted - 24 Feb 2007 : 22:46:58
Presumbably that would be Realms of War, which will tie-in with the Twilight War trilogy?

The Hooded One Posted - 24 Feb 2007 : 21:38:37
Yes, there's another "Realms of" anthology (not counting Elaine's Best) to see release before Realms of the Undead.
love,
THO
wwwwwww Posted - 23 Feb 2007 : 16:33:10
I haven't purchased many FR books lately, but I've been looking forward to this one. I've always liked RLB, and I have a feeling this might be his best trilogy yet. I'm quite anxious to get my hands on the 1st book.
initiate Posted - 23 Feb 2007 : 05:36:47
Just a humble acolyte adding my voice to the chorus of anticipation for "Unclean" and "The Haunted Land". Beyond the fact that I greatly enjoyed Mr. Byers's "Year of Rogue Dragons", it will be intriguing to see Thay from the "inside". (All the characters shown in the sample chapter up over at Wizards are Thayvians, and politically significant Thayvians at that.)

I know that every Realms novel must, by high decree, have its sword swinging and spell slinging action sequences, and those in "The Year of Rogue Dragons" were truly gripping, at times even awe-inspiring. Yet I hope that we'll get to see some of Szass Tam's "behind the scenes" political maneuvering. He can already be seen at work in the sample chapter, but the deeper into his machinations we're allowed the better!

This might be entirely my imagination, but I'm wondering if WotC might be going to greater lengths than usual to promote "Unclean". I've heard of at least one other case within the last month in which an advance reading copy of the book was sent to a fantasy novel reviewer. Perhaps Wizards does this all the time and I don't notice? Or perhaps they are broadening their marketing strategy with regards to FR fiction. Such would be a welcome turn indeed.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 23 Feb 2007 : 05:11:18
Knight: I'm glad you liked that. I thought it worked pretty well myself. I'm going to try to produce some extra stories that relate to The Haunted Land, although I don't know if you'll see as many. As you note, it was luck that enabled me to publish as many additional pieces as I did.
Also glad to hear you're looking forward to the new trilogy.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 23 Feb 2007 : 02:06:30
Richard, I just wanted to mention that between the short story that you did in Realms of the Dragons, the one you did in Realms of Elves, the various short stories you did for Dragon Magazine, and Queen of the Depths, you did an amazing job of framing the Year of Rogue Dragons books. I know some of that was happenstance, but I hope you get the chance to similarly "frame" this series as well. I'm definately looking forward the series.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 23 Feb 2007 : 00:53:56
I don't know when Realms of the Undead is coming out. I have a vague impression that the anthologies usually happen between Novels 2 and 3 of the trilogy, so we might see it in the second half of '08 or early in '09.
I also don't know who'll contribute stories besides (I assume) me. I don't expect to have anything to do with editing it. I had nothing to do with editing Realms of the Dragons 1 and 2, which is probably just as well since I have no experience as an editor. But I trust it'll include many of the mainstays of FR fiction.
MerrikCale Posted - 22 Feb 2007 : 23:44:49
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

You're right, Kuje. The fourth book will be Realms of the Undead, and it'll be a tie-in anthology.
Erg: Unclean is an April release.

Usually, the "Realms of the...." comes out in the middle of the series, will that be true here? Do you know any of the authors?
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 22 Feb 2007 : 17:16:55
You're right, Kuje. The fourth book will be Realms of the Undead, and it'll be a tie-in anthology.
Erg: Unclean is an April release.
Kuje Posted - 22 Feb 2007 : 15:47:33
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Hi Alaundo!

First - you talk about a trilogy? As I recall, Will not 4 books be realeased in that series?

Thanks, Ergdusch

It's a trilogy as far as I knew but the "fourth" book should be a anthology of short stories which ties in with the events in the trilogy but it's a stand alone book.
Alaundo Posted - 22 Feb 2007 : 08:56:04
Well met

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And I'm also happy to hear there's plenty of focus on the Zulkirs.

Oh indeed, you'll find some very interesting events indeed, Sage. I was quite shocked and astounded in a good few places.

quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

Thanks Alaundo, you really got me hocked, great review.

I simply had to share some thoughts with you all. It wasn't easy to review the book without pumping out spoilers, however There are so many elements I wanted to talk about.

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Alaundo, the check is in the mail!
Seriously, thanks for the kind words, and thanks to all the rest of you who expressed enthusiasm for my stuff. I truly do appreciate it.

The pleasure is all mine. The book has certainly kick-started the trilogy and is one that will surely stick in my mind. I'll definately be reading the book again, and also before the release of book 2, just as a refresher of course
Ergdusch Posted - 22 Feb 2007 : 08:50:58
Hi Alaundo!

First - you talk about a trilogy? As I recall, Will not 4 books be realeased in that series?

second - any idea when the release date for 'Unclean' is for all those of us that are not such priviliged as you?

Thanks, Ergdusch
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 22 Feb 2007 : 02:40:41
Alaundo, the check is in the mail!
Seriously, thanks for the kind words, and thanks to all the rest of you who expressed enthusiasm for my stuff. I truly do appreciate it.
MerrikCale Posted - 22 Feb 2007 : 02:10:51
I agree about RLB, his novels never fail for me

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000