Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Major Events on Abeir-Toril - A Question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Enialus Meliamne Posted - 20 Jan 2007 : 12:24:23
I'm only into the second novel of the Realms changing events chronology as per this document (Check here on page three: http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/frchecklist.zip ). That said, I've never been one for buying source books...Most of the time, when we have enough people (Rarely here), and enough time (Also rarely), we tend to focus on campaigns based out of the core books of DnD. In other words we use the MM, PHB, and DMG and our DM's imagination, or an adventure book like we are going to do in a few hours (I'm the rogue of the party).
Many of us who DO play, started in the novels many moons ago. I am not much for spending loads of extra cash on sourcebooks that may or may not be useful in gaming sessions that are sporadic at best. I would like to learn a great deal more of the realms as they pertain to the lore of it however, so the question I have is, do any of you recommend the sourcebooks to me, and which ones would you recommend me towards, IF I were saying I had a limited budget? Thanks for all your kind assistance!

Enialus
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MerrikCale Posted - 21 Jan 2007 : 12:34:19
I would also recommend Magic of Faerun and Races of Faerun for "overview" type stuff. Maybe Lords of Darkness too.
mavericace Posted - 21 Jan 2007 : 05:11:23
I was in the same boat as you a while back and I picked up the 3rd Ed Campaign setting and I love it. Not only does it give a small amount of info on places but it also lists people of the realms, magic, gods, history, time and more.
Enialus Meliamne Posted - 20 Jan 2007 : 19:38:28
Much thanks to you all who responded! I will consider these recommendations with great reflection, and upon my next bit of extra dough, will procure said items (Though not all at once ). My thanks to all, and you are likely very right...It is a high probability that I will be hooked (Since I have over 50 odd FR novels at this stage). A fine weekend to you all!
KnightErrantJR Posted - 20 Jan 2007 : 15:02:25
Oh, another useful thing to see where everything fits in relation to the other books is this:

http://candlekeep.com/downloads/grandhistory.zip

The creator is one of our scribes here and the keep, and has done an excellent job on it.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 20 Jan 2007 : 14:43:08
There are a ton I could recommend, but if you are on a budget, I'd say the 3rd Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign setting and perhaps Lost Empires of Faerun, for the big overview . . .

Then if you are like the rest of us, budget or no you'll be hooked . . .

And the link to the free old edition material is here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads
Ergdusch Posted - 20 Jan 2007 : 13:08:53
Well, if your soul interest is on the Forgotten realms you most certainly should get a copy of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (FRCS). it has lost of information on the different areas of the Realms as well as introducing the life and lore of this game world. I would start with that book for sure! If you than seem to have a special intereest in a certain region you should look for the various regional sourcebooks like Silver Marches & Shining South among others, for further infos.

Also, for a low budget, it might be of interest to you to check the WoTC free download page (Wolly, the link please!) for old edition sourcebooks. They might not be 3. Ed. but the lore that fills those pages is definitly heplful.

That would be my advise.

Hope I could be of help. Ergdusch

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000