Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Watercourse Trilogy (well, not all of it)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fmacdonald Posted - 13 Jan 2007 : 16:54:40
I have around 130 Forgotten Realms books. The first two books of this series have been the most unique and engaging FR novels i have read in a long time. I love the angst ridden characters. I love that the world isn't at stake, and no one is questing for multiple parts of some artifact.

Despite all of this, is seems as though everyone who has commented on them didn't like them.

Am I alone in my esteem for these novels?

Fergus
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fmacdonald Posted - 16 Jan 2007 : 00:31:59
I agree with you on your last point. There is no anxiety if there is a happy ending every time.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 15 Jan 2007 : 19:45:33
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I know what you are saying, but, and I could be wrong, I'm starting to get the feeling that we will get a bit of a "swerve" when it comes to the ending of this series, i.e. that the moral to this story may not be the exact same as the moral to Rand's stories.

I hope so, although I personally don't expect it to deviate much, either, since Athans has mentioned in his WotC interview (and it's obvious, considering how inspired he is by Rand's work) that he agrees with the Objectivist viewpoint. I won't say much more about the philosophy behind these novels (since this really isn't the appropriate venue for discussing real-world philosophy) other than that I find the portrayal of both "sides" in these books--collectivism and individualism--to be incredibly heavy-handed and simplistic at times, and that's coming from someone who considers herself to be a dedicated individualist.

As for Lies of Light, I'm actually not sure I like it as much as Whisper of Waves (and that books was itself problematic in some respects). Many of the characters seem to act with no rhyme or reason behind their actions, and some relationships and feelings just spring up out of nowhere with no real context or buildup.

Am I a bad person because I keep hoping the Red Wizard will be the one to come out on top?
KnightErrantJR Posted - 15 Jan 2007 : 02:25:24
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

I've only read Whisper of Waves and haven't got to Lies of Light yet. But based on book 1, I'll agree that's its the most unique novel among FR books. Really the only problem I see with the first book is the fact that it doesn't move much (which I find forgiveable considering it's the first book) and that it copies Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead a little too much.

I know what you are saying, but, and I could be wrong, I'm starting to get the feeling that we will get a bit of a "swerve" when it comes to the ending of this series, i.e. that the moral to this story may not be the exact same as the moral to Rand's stories.

Paec_djinn Posted - 15 Jan 2007 : 02:10:50
I've only read Whisper of Waves and haven't got to Lies of Light yet. But based on book 1, I'll agree that's its the most unique novel among FR books. Really the only problem I see with the first book is the fact that it doesn't move much (which I find forgiveable considering it's the first book) and that it copies Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead a little too much.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 13 Jan 2007 : 23:57:31
quote:
Originally posted by fmacdonald

Wouldn't it be a shocker if there was no "happy" ending?

Yes, and I'd actually welcome it.

I'm mostly ambivalent about this series. I dislike Ivar not because of who he is, but because he is an author's darling (in my opinion, anyway). Also, I don't think a character such as him really makes a good protagonist. If he's confident, fearless, sure of his beliefs, and never seems to change (and we never see things from his perspective)...well, that's great for him, but that doesn't make him an interesting person to read about. I, for one, don't find him that intriguing as a person, and I find it ironic and mildly amusing that while the author seems to have a disdain for sycophantic, worshipful hangers-on (see the scene with Osorkon's advisors), many people on Ivar's side act like worshipful hangers-on in his presence.

On the other hand, it IS different, and I like the change of pace from the usual fare in fantasy novels. I think a novel about something as mundane as construction and the surrounding politics has a lot of potential (although apparently the idea for the plot is largely based on Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, and Ivar is supposed to be an Objectivist hero, but that's a meal for another feast). I also enjoy the villain characters very much--I find Marek Rymut to be both intelligent as a villain and quite funny, and Salatis's "god-hopping" is downright hilarious. I actually like the villains a lot more than I like the, uh, protagonists.
fmacdonald Posted - 13 Jan 2007 : 19:19:51
I think the appeal of Devorast, is that most people would like to think they are that dedicated and consumed by their passion. Art is supposed to make you feel something, and not always a warm fuzzy feeling. I felt something when i read the first two, and i do really like Ivar's character.

Wouldn't it be a shocker if there was no "happy" ending? I've never read a realms novel where the "good" guys didn't come out on top, maybe a minor character will die, or even the main character, but everything always works out. I want uncertainty of conclusion.

Faces of Decption by Troy Denning was great for this.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 13 Jan 2007 : 17:46:04
I kind of like them, and they are definately an interesting read. My main thing is that its not the usual "fee" of the Realms, and thematically, with all the flaws involved with the characters, its hard to really like any of them. That having been said, there is so much going on, and so much that usually isn't part of Realms novels, that so far its been pretty interesting to follow. I'm just waiting for the third book to see if it comes together in a successful way.

I have to say, even if the books turn out the way Athans wants it too, I don't think these are "Ivar rocks, I loved these books" kind of story, so much as a long, drawn out, analyze the heck of them sort of books.

But that just my take on all of this.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000