Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Favourite Realms-novel in '04

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kajehase Posted - 09 Jun 2005 : 22:05:04
Okay, so I'm curious, which was your favourite FR-novel first published last year?

Oh, and could those making comments please settle for explaining why they choose the title they did, rather than why they didn't pick "that other awfully bad book that doesn't deserve to be read etc..."

And yes, I know this doesn't include Annihilation. It's not because it's my least favourite - I haven't read it yet. One had to go, and going by the comments I've read about it here on Candlekeep I picked that one.

And I've no idea why there's multiple apostrophes in Elminster's Daughter and Venom's Taste, I've tried editing it, but they reappear anyway.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
koz Posted - 23 Jan 2007 : 09:28:40
I haven't read many of the novels on this list. The Two Swords was very good. I also enjoyed The Rage and Realms of the Dragons very much. Venom's taste was also good. My vote went to The Two Swords though. I am a big fan of Mr. Salvatore's work and he didn't disappoint. Great storytelling and as always great action scenes. I love the bits of humor thrown in as well. Pikel and Ivan remind me a lot of myself and my brother. Complete opposites, always disagreeing and picking on each other but if somebody else says or does something to one of us, the other is always there to help.
Ethriel Posted - 04 Jul 2005 : 16:27:21
Forsaken House, followed VERY closely by Dawn of Night
ode904 Posted - 03 Jul 2005 : 22:58:57
And P.S

There arent nothing but Two Swords of those in Finnish, son my vote is veeery simple
Enialus Meliamne Posted - 02 Jul 2005 : 13:46:16
For me, the Rage. I look forward to getting back into that series once I catch up on what I have purchased to read.
Shadovar Posted - 02 Jul 2005 : 01:19:40
I say The Rage, Venom Taste as well as the two swords are my favorite novels for 2004.
ode904 Posted - 01 Jul 2005 : 21:57:09
I think that Two swords.
SiriusBlack Posted - 29 Jun 2005 : 12:42:56
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin
Now, has anyone done a poll of the reverse? Not that I want to highlight the bad, but even the least popular novel is better than not having a novel at all, at least sometimes.

Pass for this scribe. Why dwell on the negative when there is so much good FR fiction out there?
Alaundo Posted - 29 Jun 2005 : 10:10:35
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Another vote here for Forsaken House. Now, has anyone done a poll of the reverse? Not that I want to highlight the bad, but even the least popular novel is better than not having a novel at all, at least sometimes.

Well met

I'm sure we had a discussion on this previously, it may have been prior to the poll facility at the library though. Still, I think it best not to start one up on this subject
Kajehase Posted - 29 Jun 2005 : 05:57:08
Well, I have to admit that if I, personally, ran a poll like that I'd do it with the commments turned off, since I'm pretty sure it'd quickly turn into an author-bashing fest. And despire some comments I've made about Troy Denning's works, that's not something I'd want to happen here at Candlekeep - I like the relative peace and quiet
hammer of Moradin Posted - 29 Jun 2005 : 05:16:07
Another vote here for Forsaken House. Now, has anyone done a poll of the reverse? Not that I want to highlight the bad, but even the least popular novel is better than not having a novel at all, at least sometimes.
Kajehase Posted - 21 Jun 2005 : 15:12:55
96 votes... Surely there's four more scribes that hasn't voted yet that can help us round out the number
khorne Posted - 16 Jun 2005 : 17:52:44
OMG there are different kinds of dragons everywhere! I know about chromatic, metallic, shadow and gem dragons, but can someone list the rest please?
The Sage Posted - 15 Jun 2005 : 02:11:14
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I seem to recall fang dragons being intro'ed in the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set.
Yes, they're in there, along with electrum dragons which made their first appearance in Dragon #74 I believe. Earth dragons were detailed in that issue as well as I recall.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Jun 2005 : 23:10:04
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

I chose Forsaken House, for the same reasons already mentioned. The Rage was good, but I almost drowned under the amount of new dragons introduced in the series so far.....Song dragons, earth dragons, ooze dragons, mist dragons, magma dragons, smoke dragons, fire dragons and fang dragons. I have never heard about a single one of those before.

A lot of those have been around for quite some time.

Song dragons were originally called weredragons, and first appeared in Dragon 134 -- way back into 1st Edition, in an article written by Ed.

Most, if not all, of the other dragons were around in 2E. I seem to recall fang dragons being intro'ed in the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set. The rest, I'd have to look up their first appearances.
khorne Posted - 14 Jun 2005 : 22:05:07
I chose Forsaken House, for the same reasons already mentioned. The Rage was good, but I almost drowned under the amount of new dragons introduced in the series so far.....Song dragons, earth dragons, ooze dragons, mist dragons, magma dragons, smoke dragons, fire dragons and fang dragons. I have never heard about a single one of those before.
SiriusBlack Posted - 14 Jun 2005 : 05:05:35
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA
To be honest I can't wait to read it again just before the second of the trilogy comes out in July.....

Hopefully it will be out the end of this month rather than July.
SiriusBlack Posted - 14 Jun 2005 : 05:04:07
quote:
Originally posted by LordEverhate

It was either Forsaken House or Venom's Taste for me, but since I liked the more adult feel of Venom's Taste, I selected it.

What about that novel made you consider it more of an "adult feel?"
VEDSICA Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 23:41:49
Forsaken House it is for me.I really enjoyed this novel.The story is great.There is an ultimate villian who is mysterious(MALKIZID).It has us all speculating.Well most of us.The feyri are awesome and ancient villians.Evermeet,Evereska.High Magic.The hero is very likable and appealing..I mean I can't say enough about this book.When I first read it,and I still do believe this.That it is one of the best realms novel that has been written in a long time.Though I kind of feel like I am putting down the other novels that are on the poll.I am not.I enjoyed everyone of them.It's just that Forsaken House really captivated me.To be honest I can't wait to read it again just before the second of the trilogy comes out in July.....
LordEverhate Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 17:47:43
It was either Forsaken House or Venom's Taste for me, but since I liked the more adult feel of Venom's Taste, I selected it.
Winterfox Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 08:27:09
I've only read two out of the whole list -- I'd have read The Ruby Guardian if The Sapphire Crescent didn't disappoint me so much and bore me to tears.

So, between The Rage and Forsaken House, it's easy to choose.
Smyther Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 00:42:03
Well, of the three I've read on that list (El's D, Two Swords, Forsaken House), I'd have to pick Forsaken House. Not only did I love that book, but it makes the other two pale in comparison.
Two Swords was all right (better than the first two of the trilogy, IMO), and I didn't like Elminster's Daughter (I praise Ed on his sourcebooks, not his novels). Forsaken House took place in the areas I liked, introduced excellent villains, had a solid cast (though the genasi I thought less of), raised some interesting points and ideas, and (while the plot of ANOTHER ancient race returning has been done before) sets it up excellently for the plot of book 2 and 3. I would wax eloquence some more, but my cold is really bothering me.
SiriusBlack Posted - 12 Jun 2005 : 13:26:42
quote:
Originally posted by Tremaine

I can't believe no one apart from me voted for Venom's Taste you all mad kidding. One of the best realm novel I have read in along time

Have you read the second book in that series? I feel it's even better than the first novel.
DDH_101 Posted - 11 Jun 2005 : 19:08:00
Forsaken House for me. It was tough to choose between Dawn of Night, The Rage, and Forsaken House. Those three books were oh so very good...
Tremaine Posted - 11 Jun 2005 : 13:57:21
I can't believe no one apart from me voted for Venom's Taste you all mad kidding. One of the best realm novel I have read in along time

my second chose would have been Dawn of Night
SiriusBlack Posted - 11 Jun 2005 : 12:36:17
A nice race so far between Elminster's Daughter and Forsaken House. I'm a bit surprised. I knew the latter was well received, but the novel's popularity is more than even I figured.
Alisttair Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 17:32:22
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

WTF!! It won't let me vote. Anyways I say Realms of the Dragons. Why? A multitude of stories based on Dragons, the most fantastic of creatures. And them finally not getting their tails handed to them. Properly protrayed as the beasts that they are. Excellent tales too.

Did you press view results before trying to vote? I know that causes it.

Yes I pressed it before even logging in. Darn it.
Xysma Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 16:00:50
This was tough, I loved Elminster's Daughter, it was definitely my favorite of Ed's novels that I've read. Forsaken House and the Rage were both fantastic, as well as Venom's taste and the Yellow Silk. So many great novels last year, but I had to pick Dawn of Night as my favorite. I like everything about the book, the story, the characters, it's an excellent book.
SiriusBlack Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 12:41:51
Forsaken House was the clear choice for me. I'm very eager to obtain the second book because of how much I enjoyed the first novel in the series.
Snotlord Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 12:32:31
Hmmm tricky. I picked The Rage, because I'm a sucker for RSE done right and I loved the characters.
Rich Bakers book is better written, and he makes the D&D rules work in a fictional setting, which is impressive in itself. Still, The Rage it is.

I liked Elminster's Daughter, but Ed moves to fast for me. Sorry.
I have not read the Salvatore book, but the two first was ok.
Don's book was ok, but his Dark Matter books are better.
I have not read Lisa's book, but the first was ok.
I have not read any of the others, but I will pick up Mistress of Night and Ruby Guardian, based on the input from this thread.
Carion Hunter Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 11:57:51
For me, I in favor the Two Swords and The Rage, they are some of the many best novels I had read so far.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000