Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Saurials... (Finder's Stone trilogy)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Andyr Posted - 22 May 2005 : 15:08:58
I'm reading the Finder's Stone trilogy, and had a question or two about Saurials.

The books seem to hint they are from another world - is this an alternate Prime, or just a different plane? Please, no spoilers if I find out later on in the books (just started Song of the Saurials now). :) Are they a single race with fairly variable apprearance, or a group of races (given that Dragonbait and Grypht apparently look fairly difference)? I looked in the Monster Manual and Monsters of Faerun, but no mention in those...

Also, while on the subject, is the novel Finder's Bane any good? Is it set before/after the Finder's Stone trilogy?
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 25 May 2005 : 02:30:43
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Andyr

quote:
Originally posted by Realmslore
the Lost Gods trilogy

What is this?

That's the trilogy that Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck were part of. They were the first and third books, respectively.
Actually, its proper DL reference puts it as part of the 'Lost Legends' storyline along with Vinas Solamnus. It is Volume II.

quote:
The second book was a Dragginglance novel, Fistandantilus Reborn, by an author whose name escapes me.
Douglas Niles was th author of Fistandantilus Reborn.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 May 2005 : 23:16:13
quote:

Oh, right. Thanks. I may check out that Dragonlance one, too - I recognise the name of the wizard from what little Dragonlance I have read (the Chronicles trilogy).

He's more prominent in the Legends trilogy.
Andyr Posted - 24 May 2005 : 17:48:58
Oh, right. Thanks. I may check out that Dragonlance one, too - I recognise the name of the wizard from what little Dragonlance I have read (the Chronicles trilogy).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 May 2005 : 17:45:41
quote:

quote:
the Lost Gods trilogy

What is this?

That's the trilogy that Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck were part of. They were the first and third books, respectively.

The second book was a Dragginglance novel, Fistandantilus Reborn, by an author whose name escapes me. It's kinda odd, in that most of the book happens in an alternate timeline. The book was okay, but not great. It's not necessary to read it to appreciate the other two books of the trilogy; it's pretty much a stand-alone novel. One character goes on to be part of the cast of Tymora's Luck, but that book gives plenty of info about the character, so you don't even need to read book 2 for his introduction (in fact, I thought Novak and Grubb did a better job with the character than the original author).
Andyr Posted - 24 May 2005 : 16:38:23
quote:

EDIT: to be more precise, below is the chronological order of the novels

1357 DR: Azure Bonds
1358 DR: The Wyvern's Spur
1358 DR: Song of the Saurials
1367 DR: Masquerades
1368 DR: Finder's Bane
1368 DR: Tymora's Luck

Brilliant. :D

quote:
the Lost Gods trilogy

What is this?
Kuje Posted - 23 May 2005 : 03:40:50
quote:
Originally posted by Songrimm

For stats for of the four subraces of saurials you have to look in one of the issues of dragon magazine. i think somewhere around issue 290 they did an update to 3.0 for them.

Serpent Kingdoms web enhancement:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040717a
Songrimm Posted - 23 May 2005 : 03:16:33
For stats for of the four subraces of saurials you have to look in one of the issues of dragon magazine. i think somewhere around issue 290 they did an update to 3.0 for them.
The Sage Posted - 23 May 2005 : 02:05:55
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

If we are using 2e's planes, which those books were writen for, then it would be a different crystal sphere, most likely. Now in 3e/3.5's it's probably a different Prime Material. :)

Hehe... I was just going to say the same .

Anyways, I would like to know what some of the current designers think of where the saurial homeworld now resides, given the changed cosmology... A different Prime Material is definitely applicable, but I wonder whether any of them have had any alternate thoughts on the matter.
Brian R. James Posted - 23 May 2005 : 00:35:46
quote:

Where does Masquerades fit in time-wise with Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck?

Masquerades occurs after the Finders Stone Trilogy and before the Lost Gods trilogy

EDIT: to be more precise, below is the chronological order of the novels

1357 DR: Azure Bonds
1358 DR: The Wyvern's Spur
1358 DR: Song of the Saurials
1367 DR: Masquerades
1368 DR: Finder's Bane
1368 DR: Tymora's Luck
Andyr Posted - 23 May 2005 : 00:33:28
Where does Masquerades fit in time-wise with Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck?
Lord Rad Posted - 22 May 2005 : 22:27:57
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

To answer the second part of thy question, Andyr - Finder's Bane is certainly a very good novel indeed. I personally enjoyed the novel very much, and I believe that Wooly Rupert and Lord Rad, to name but two, will back me up on this. The novel takes place AFTER the Finder's Stone Trilogy and is then followed by Tymora's Luck to fully complete the overall novel path.

You can say that again!!

I LOVE these novels (Masquerades included). I highly recommend all six novels. Ensure you read them in the correct order though. They're not a direct continuation as such but characters get introduced and discontinued along the way but references do exist in latter novels. A great set of novels, I just wish Novak and Grubb would be drafted into to writing for the Realms again
khorne Posted - 22 May 2005 : 21:02:30
Song of the Saurials was the first FR book I read.
Lameth Posted - 22 May 2005 : 19:00:32
Read the trilogy and u will be happy. It`s a great story.
Andyr Posted - 22 May 2005 : 17:11:53
Thanks for the replies (and apologies for originally posting in the wrong forum). :)

I'd not heard of Tymora's Luck; I shall have to look that up after I'm done with these three. I'm not too bothered if Alias and Dragonbait are missing; Giogioni and Finder Wyvernspur are probably my favourite characters so far... May check out Masquerades, too. So many books, so little time.
Kuje Posted - 22 May 2005 : 17:02:56
If we are using 2e's planes, which those books were writen for, then it would be a different crystal sphere, most likely. Now in 3e/3.5's it's probably a different Prime Material. :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 May 2005 : 15:46:21
I will certainly back up Big Al on this. I heartily recommend all the Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb books.

He fails to mention Masquerades, though. It's another book that comes after the Finder's Stone trilogy. It's also about Alias and Dragonbait, while Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck follow the exploits of mostly new characters.

Only one of the major characters from the Finder's Stone trilogy stars in those two books, though several characters do have minor appearances, particularly in the last book.

Also, one of the characters from those two books was originally introduced in the Forgotten Realms comic book, before she left that bunch to be part of the Spelljammer comic. Before you ask, knowledge of those comics is not necessary to enjoy those tales.

To answer one of your other questions, I believe that Song of the Saurials does give a bit more info on the saurial homeworld.

And I believe that finheads, flyers, and the rest are saurial subraces, the same way that sun elves and moon elves are elven subraces.
Alaundo Posted - 22 May 2005 : 15:30:43
quote:

Also, while on the subject, is the novel Finder's Bane any good? Is it set before/after the Finder's Stone trilogy?

Well met

To answer the second part of thy question, Andyr - Finder's Bane is certainly a very good novel indeed. I personally enjoyed the novel very much, and I believe that Wooly Rupert and Lord Rad, to name but two, will back me up on this. The novel takes place AFTER the Finder's Stone Trilogy and is then followed by Tymora's Luck to fully complete the overall novel path.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000