Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Waterdeep-novel finished

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kajehase Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 05:36:29
quote:
originally posted by Elaine Cunningham at http://elvenbard.blogspot.com
A thorough review of the copyedited manuscript took a little longer than I'd anticipated (what doesn't?) but I just sent the corrected ms to Ed Greenwood, along with copious notes explaining said corrections. Considering the tight production schedule--the book is scheduled for released in August--I doubt we'll see galley pages, so this is IT!

Ed's busy with taxes, but he'll give the ms a lightning-quick read and send it along to Peter Archer. Peter asked for it by April 28, so we're on target. I'm exceedingly tickled. Closure is a wonderful thing, but to be finished AND ahead of schedule is truly glorious.

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Xysma Posted - 03 Jun 2005 : 14:58:59
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Having just read the prologue, I can only say that it has the potential to be everything I hope it will be. The wait is now going to kill me and hardcover or not, it looks like I'm going to have to be getting myself a copy in August.

I did not realize it was a hardcover, that's great! I always prefer hardcovers for my collection. I was so happy to get a hardback copy of the Magehound, but never could find hardbacks of the rest of the Counselors and Kings series.

The hardcover edition of Magehound was by Science Fiction Bookclub, but they didn't pick up the next two books of the trilogy.

I would have loved to collect that entire series in hardback.I kept waiting and waiting... I really hoped they would, Counselors and Kings was what really got me into the Realms novels. The Magehound was the first Realms novel I ever read, and I've been hooked ever since. Thank you Elaine for introducing me to the Realms.
The sample chapter has whetted my appetite sufficiently, I am the counting the days until I can get this tome in my greedy hands.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 25 May 2005 : 22:39:45
Thank you, TA. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I was tempted to add chapter one, as well, but thought that would probably be pushing matters. :)
Thelonius Posted - 25 May 2005 : 21:08:05
Simply a marvelous sample. Nothing else to add. Splendid.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 25 May 2005 : 20:26:20
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

Having just read the prologue, I can only say that it has the potential to be everything I hope it will be. The wait is now going to kill me and hardcover or not, it looks like I'm going to have to be getting myself a copy in August.

I did not realize it was a hardcover, that's great! I always prefer hardcovers for my collection. I was so happy to get a hardback copy of the Magehound, but never could find hardbacks of the rest of the Counselors and Kings series.

The hardcover edition of Magehound was by Science Fiction Bookclub, but they didn't pick up the next two books of the trilogy.
Xysma Posted - 25 May 2005 : 19:36:43
quote:

Reefy Posted - 20 May 2005 : 17:10:07
ElaineCunningham Posted - 20 May 2005 : 13:22:20
"Apology" is a bit too strong a term. What I hoped to express was that, while I understand that no story (or prelude, for that matter) will appeal to all readers, I appreciate people taking time to express their opinions.
Paec_djinn Posted - 19 May 2005 : 08:46:02
Don't need to apologize. Doesn't mean the prelude didn't spark my interest means you did me any harm. I appreciate your effort of explaining it and I can tell that the book will surely explain more.
SiriusBlack Posted - 19 May 2005 : 02:36:50
quote:
"What is the nature of heroism and villainy?"

Point of view plays a big part in the answer to that question. I know I've used such ambiguity in my FR campaign.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 18 May 2005 : 18:26:21
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn
Well my post to show my excitement wasn't because of the fact that there were two villains. It was more towards how Mrelder could have turned into a villain than that fact of there being only two villains. (again this is indeed if he turned into it).

I knew that there probably were more plots later on but the sample chapter didn't do enough to raise my excitement because I didn't know the main point that was trying to be shown. The scene shifted too much and the story still much of a mystery to get to a focal plot. Whenever I decide if I should pick up a book, I usually try to figure out the central theme. The prologue definitely didn't give me much clues. I found THO's posts here a little more helpful though.

And now because of the back cover copy, my interest has since increased.

Good to hear that the back cover copy is doing its job. :)

Sorry to hear the prelude didn't catch your interest, pd. Its purpose was to introduce two young men, each torn between self-doubt and a strong sense of destiny. The prelude suggests certain parallels (and differences) between the two young men, and establishes that Waterdeep is pivotal to the paths each will take. If you're looking for theme, I'd have to say one of the basic questions of the book is, "What is the nature of heroism and villainy?"
Paec_djinn Posted - 18 May 2005 : 14:25:05
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

If you think CITY OF SPLENDORS has but two villains, and their names are Golskyn and Mrelder, you’re thinking on way too narrow a band. Consider: how many villains, in a realistic situation, think of themselves as villains?
Don’t a lot of them think they’re just trying to “set things right”?

Ho ho. Stay tuned, Realms fans . . .
love to all,
THO

Well my post to show my excitement wasn't because of the fact that there were two villains. It was more towards how Mrelder could have turned into a villain than that fact of there being only two villains. (again this is indeed if he turned into it).

I knew that there probably were more plots later on but the sample chapter didn't do enough to raise my excitement because I didn't know the main point that was trying to be shown. The scene shifted too much and the story still much of a mystery to get to a focal plot. Whenever I decide if I should pick up a book, I usually try to figure out the central theme. The prologue definitely didn't give me much clues. I found THO's posts here a little more helpful though.

And now because of the back cover copy, my interest has since increased.

(Just to add, I would like to point out that while the sample chapter didn't spark my excitement, I did NOT say that it was not good)

As for the heroes, I would've loved to see some old characters (Mirt, Arilyn and Danilo) playing more central roles. But I guess this new characters THO talk about could be interesting to get to know.
Kajehase Posted - 18 May 2005 : 14:19:23
I'd guess on:
quote:
a band of young, foppish lords
myself.
Shadovar Posted - 18 May 2005 : 11:47:01
Hmm, if the City of Splendors have two chief villains, surely there are heroes that can match up to them, I wonder who they are besides the Blackstaffs and Piergeiron that can match up against the two mentioned chief villains.
Prince Forge of Avalon Posted - 18 May 2005 : 05:39:33
you know Thy Hooded One you only make the wait harder when you tease me sooo!

PFoA
The Sage Posted - 18 May 2005 : 03:48:04
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

If you think CITY OF SPLENDORS has but two villains, and their names are Golskyn and Mrelder, you’re thinking on way too narrow a band. Consider: how many villains, in a realistic situation, think of themselves as villains?
Ah... the justification for most of the actions of the villainous... .

I imagine that in a city as large and cosmopolitan as the City of Splendors, every mortal has at least one enemy at some point in their lives -- whether it be a disgruntled shop owner furious over local competition, or the dark hooded thief who stakes a claim for the life of an important House noble for imagined wrongdoings.
The Hooded One Posted - 18 May 2005 : 02:45:05
Oh, Hoondatha, go ahead and SAY it!
I promise: if you bounce up and down, I’ll do something deft that’ll really make you blush . . .

And in the meantime, I’ll pass on this tidbit from Ed to all scribes:

Ho ho. Stay tuned, Realms fans . . .
love to all,
THO
Hoondatha Posted - 18 May 2005 : 01:23:41
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Loved the teaser chapter on Elaine's site, can't wait for more, more, more!!!!

That's exactly why I haven't read it. I can't say I'm bouncing up and down desiring this book (only because THO made me blush the *last* time I said that), but I know if I read the sample chapter I'll only want it more and make the waiting harder. Thanks, but I'll wait until I can read it all.
Paec_djinn Posted - 17 May 2005 : 23:41:08
quote:
Tuesday, May 17, 2005
City of Splendors cover
The folks at WotC sent me a pile of book jackets for the upcoming Waterdeep book. The cover design is very eye-catching; online versions don't do it justice. The characters don't resemble anyone in the story, but I came to the conclusion long ago that verisimilitude is not a necessary component of an effective FR cover. And the back cover copy is very good:

[i]In the streets of Waterdeep, conspiracies run like water through the gutters, bubbling beneath the seeming calm of the city's life. As a band of young, foppish lords discovers there is a dark side to the city they all love, a sinister mage and his son seek to create perverted creatures to further their twisted ends.

And across it all sprawls the great city itself: brawling, drinking, laughing, living life to the fullest.

Even in the face of death.{/i]

The villian in question is a priest, not a mage, but that's a relatively minor matter as back cover copy goes! :)

From Elaine's blog. What interests me is the villain. Since she says it's a priest and a son, it's made me think it's Golskyn and Mrelder. I think it should be interesting to see how Mrelder turns if this is him.
Blueblade Posted - 17 May 2005 : 20:38:11
Loved the teaser chapter on Elaine's site, can't wait for more, more, more!!!!
Shadovar Posted - 15 May 2005 : 10:13:03
quote:
originally posted by TymoraChosen Same here, I am certainly rubbing my hands to get the first copy

ha, i think I am exercising more to get ready to rush to the nearest bookstore to get a copy of it.*chuckles*
TymoraChosen Posted - 15 May 2005 : 08:58:42
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I'm just as intrigued by the intricate weaving of the writing styles of both EC and Ed.

Waterdeep will truly be a unique novel that I shall enjoy experiencing

Same here, I am certainly rubbing my hands to get the first copy.
The Sage Posted - 14 May 2005 : 16:01:35
I'm just as intrigued by the intricate weaving of the writing styles of both EC and Ed.

Waterdeep will truly be a unique novel that I shall enjoy experiencing... .
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 May 2005 : 15:50:43
quote:

Thank you, Accursed. Hope you enjoy this book, which is an odd and gleeful hybrid of Ed Greenwood's and my quite diverse styles. :)

"An odd and gleeful hybrid"... Now that's a phrase that gets my attention!
ElaineCunningham Posted - 14 May 2005 : 14:59:37
Thank you, Accursed. Hope you enjoy this book, which is an odd and gleeful hybrid of Ed Greenwood's and my quite diverse styles. :)
Accursed Posted - 14 May 2005 : 11:32:27
quote:

Hi, folks! Just wanted to let you know there's a sample chapter (the Prelude of which THO spoke) up on my website, www.elainecunningham.com

The link will take you to the home page, but it's easy to navigate from there.

ec

Thank you Ms Cunningham! I too can't wait for this book! I also wanted to say I absolutely love your writing!
VEDSICA Posted - 14 May 2005 : 02:43:33
Elaine I'm thinking Shadovar wants it in hand,like yesterday.To be honest so do I...I guess we'll just have to be patient.In the prelude that you so graciously rendered to your humble fans.Thank you very much.Is this a part that Khelben plays in The Threat from the Sea that wasn't told in that trilogy?It's kind of obvious,but I'm not sure.If it is.Why was this part of the timeline chosen as a starting point for this novel???Actually,I'm not sure if Waterdeep has been featured after that time.I'm speaking of in novels mind you.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 12 May 2005 : 14:20:24
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Well, the sample chapter was good and well written. But it is a real pity that such an excellent novel release date is that late.(August 2005)

FYI, August has always been the target publication date. Trust me, no moss is growing on this manuscript. The production schedule is very tight. Three months isn't much for typesetting, proofreading, printing, and shipping.
Adarin Posted - 12 May 2005 : 12:26:37
I will certainly be looking forward to the day the novel is finally released.
Shadovar Posted - 12 May 2005 : 12:01:46
Well, the sample chapter was good and well written. But it is a real pity that such an excellent novel release date is that late.(August 2005)
SiriusBlack Posted - 12 May 2005 : 06:40:42
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd already considered that.

I just thought that with the impending release of the Waterdeep: City of Splendors sourcebook, WotC might have wished to keep all the pre-release material on their own site.

No offense to anyone, but the WOTC isn't really good at providing a sample chapter until the month the novel is set to be released. Thus, I'd much rather see authors, like Paul Kemp and Elaine Cunningham have, obtain permission to post sample chapters on their own sites if it means we'll get such chapters a bit earlier.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000