Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 $50 to Spend on Forgotten Realms...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DDH_101 Posted - 07 Jan 2005 : 06:08:11
I got a $50 gift card for Indigo bookstores this Christmas but I don't know what FR novels to buy. Could anyone of you fellow scribes suggest something good for me to spend on?

I've already read:

All the Drizzt books
1-5 in WotSQ Series
First two books in Erevis Cale trilogy
Cormyr trilogy
Moonshae trilogy
Evermeet
Elfshadow
Book 1&2 of the Return of the Archwizards
The Rage
Forsaken House
Elminster's Temptation and Elminster in Hell
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Crust Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 15:00:18
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

...after I'm done with Silverfall.

Enjoy that.
DDH_101 Posted - 14 Jan 2005 : 06:07:49
Well, I've finally finished reading The Rite. Here's my little "review" of the book:

I think this book is even better than The Rage. My favourite parts of the book had to be when Taegan was searching for the traitor and also the battles in the Plane of Shadows to recover the soul of Gareth Dragonsbane.

There's plenty of action and as I said in my previous post, a war and traitorous act in the first 10 pages? Wow! Even though I was kind of disappointed to see that Mr. Byers is still keeping a close lid on Sammaster and restricting him to such a small cameo, it was pretty cool to see him use the First Speaker to act as Zhengyi.

I have to say that I can't wait for the third book to come out to see what results from the rage of the dragon and also the fate of Sammaster.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 23:16:45
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

DDH, I may be a bit late here but for other novels for another time, try the Arcane Age: Netheril Trilogy. For me, it was an interesting peek into ancient Netheril and how it fell.

I dunno... It's a good look at Netheril, but I myself didn't particularly care for the trilogy.
DDH_101 Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 22:59:11
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
Thomas M. Reid is an author I am growing to like more and more with each novel of his I come across.

Thomas Reid is a very underrated FR novelist and FR game designer. I can't think of anything he's put out for the Realms that has been less than good and "Shining South" was great.

-- George Krashos

I agree. Insurrection, the book that he wrote for the WotSQ series was great to read and I can't wait to get started on the Scions of Arrabar trilogy after I'm done with Silverfall.
Lauzoril Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 18:07:39
DDH, I may be a bit late here but for other novels for another time, try the Arcane Age: Netheril Trilogy. For me, it was an interesting peek into ancient Netheril and how it fell.

SiriusBlack Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 15:16:31
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox
Easily. It involves your head, a hard surface, and collision. It works, trust me. Just don't send me the bills if you get a concussion. =p

Hard surface? Collision? Damn, no luck that Smirnov vodka might do the same trick?
Winterfox Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 07:29:42
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I've forgotten most of them, much in the same way that I blocked most of Return of the Archwizards from my memory.

Ooh, I wish I had that ability...

Easily. It involves your head, a hard surface, and collision. It works, trust me. Just don't send me the bills if you get a concussion. =p

(...I only wish the ability was perfect. There are so many memories of other novels I want to jettison into oblivion.)
SirUrza Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 06:47:56
quote:

The coupon can only be used with a purchase of $50 or more...

Darn. Save it for your next big purchase I guess.
George Krashos Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 06:22:30
quote:
Thomas M. Reid is an author I am growing to like more and more with each novel of his I come across.

Thomas Reid is a very underrated FR novelist and FR game designer. I can't think of anything he's put out for the Realms that has been less than good and "Shining South" was great.

-- George Krashos
SiriusBlack Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 05:23:20
quote:

Well... I finally went to Indigo today with the gift card and my choices, but nothing went as planned. Lol.

With book stores it rarely does. Remind me to reference your post the next time someone asks me why I make all my purchases online.

quote:

First of all, none of the Counsellors & Kings or Sembia series books were there. Then I found out that the $10 certificate could only be used with online purchases... .

Ah, small print, so wonderful.

quote:

In the end, I bought The Rite, Silverfall, and the first two books of the Scions of Arrabar trilogy. I heard from the rest of you members that the trilogy was good so I decided to give it a try.

It is very good. I hope you enjoy reading about the family in the trilogy. Thomas M. Reid is an author I am growing to like more and more with each novel of his I come across.
DDH_101 Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 02:08:55
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

First of all, none of the Counsellors & Kings or Sembia series books were there. Then I found out that the $10 certificate could only be used with online purchases... .

Well there you go. Use the $10 coupon to get the 1st and part of the sound book of Counsellors & Kings from their website. :)

The coupon can only be used with a purchase of $50 or more...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Jan 2005 : 01:19:45
quote:

I've forgotten most of them, much in the same way that I blocked most of Return of the Archwizards from my memory.

Ooh, I wish I had that ability...
SirUrza Posted - 09 Jan 2005 : 23:59:42
quote:

Well there you go. Use the $10 coupon to get the 1st and part of the sound book of Counsellors & Kings from their website. :)
DDH_101 Posted - 09 Jan 2005 : 22:55:54
Well... I finally went to Indigo today with the gift card and my choices, but nothing went as planned. Lol.

In the end, I bought The Rite, Silverfall, and the first two books of the Scions of Arrabar trilogy. I heard from the rest of you members that the trilogy was good so I decided to give it a try.
SiriusBlack Posted - 09 Jan 2005 : 14:54:18
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

I liked the Sembia Series, but I felt that the ending to Heirs of the Prophecy was a little dissapointing.

Rushed. I recall feeling that way towards the novel's ending. But, I've felt that way regarding a few FR books the last few years.
Alaundo Posted - 09 Jan 2005 : 10:53:18
quote:

I actually just want to see the cover of the second book to see how it looks like. Lol.

Well met

Well look no further than the halls of Candlekeep, DDH_101

Here it is, as part of the latest update.
Lina Posted - 09 Jan 2005 : 09:24:18
I liked the Sembia Series, but I felt that the ending to Heirs of the Prophecy was a little dissapointing. The Sapphire Cresent and Ruby Gardian are others I enjoyed reading.
Winterfox Posted - 09 Jan 2005 : 08:36:31
quote:

I'm in full agreement on the former novel. It felt different in tone from the rest of the series. I really would have enjoyed Tazi battling some force in Sembia.

As for the latter novel, the latter half of the novel I felt was not as entertaining as the first part.

I'd have to go back and reread them to recall what put me off so much; I've forgotten most of them, much in the same way that I blocked most of Return of the Archwizards from my memory. I also read Crimson Gold, and I've concluded that the author simply isn't my cup of beverage. That, or Tazi isn't. I could never quite bring myself to like, or even be interested, in her. For lack of a better word, she feels... synthetic.

quote:
I'm in the minority here. I really enjoyed the story and would love to see more of the characters featured within this work.

I didn't mind Heirs of Prophecy all that much, but the ending leaves something to be desired. The premise is interesting, though, and you don't get to see a cleric of Sune (well, and Hanali, in this case) featured that often.
DDH_101 Posted - 09 Jan 2005 : 07:32:20
quote:

quote:

For some reason, WotC saids that The Farthest Reach is written by Thomas Reid and when I clicked on the link, it gives the page to The Emerald Sceptre. Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes, you're not alone. That problem has been there for over a month now and still has not been fixed. Try searching one of the major online vendors if you want to confirm a release date for the next novel in Baker's series. If you have any trouble let me know and I'll post a link.

I actually just want to see the cover of the second book to see how it looks like. Lol.
SiriusBlack Posted - 09 Jan 2005 : 05:17:06
quote:
Sands of the Soul, Shadow's Witness

I'm in full agreement on the former novel. It felt different in tone from the rest of the series. I really would have enjoyed Tazi battling some force in Sembia.

As for the latter novel, the latter half of the novel I felt was not as entertaining as the first part.

[quote]
and, to a lesser degree, Heirs of Prophecy.

I'm in the minority here. I really enjoyed the story and would love to see more of the characters featured within this work.
Winterfox Posted - 09 Jan 2005 : 04:21:06
quote:

quote:
Oh, yes, and add The Shattered Mask (Richard Lee Byers) to the list. (Probably better read in the context of the Sembia series, but I don't think it's necessary. I don't really like some of the novels in that line, anyway, and so wouldn't exactly recommend them.)

Which books in the Sembia series did you not enjoy?

Sands of the Soul, Shadow's Witness and, to a lesser degree, Heirs of Prophecy.
SiriusBlack Posted - 09 Jan 2005 : 02:55:34
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

You're just going to make us all want it more SB. :)

I know...I know...but I still have to obtain, if possible,any little piece of information.
SiriusBlack Posted - 09 Jan 2005 : 02:54:29
quote:

For some reason, WotC saids that The Farthest Reach is written by Thomas Reid and when I clicked on the link, it gives the page to The Emerald Sceptre. Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes, you're not alone. That problem has been there for over a month now and still has not been fixed. Try searching one of the major online vendors if you want to confirm a release date for the next novel in Baker's series. If you have any trouble let me know and I'll post a link.
DDH_101 Posted - 09 Jan 2005 : 01:00:13
SirUrza Posted - 09 Jan 2005 : 00:12:11
You're just going to make us all want it more SB. :)
SiriusBlack Posted - 08 Jan 2005 : 23:24:00
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
The Farthest Reach (sequel to Forsaken House) when it comes out; Ed says it's very good

What else has EG whispered about that sequel?

SB who has to try...
SiriusBlack Posted - 08 Jan 2005 : 23:22:53
quote:

Well, I'll probably try to get the Counsellors & Kings trilogy and if I have any money left over, spend it on The Rite and the Sembia series. I just found out I have a $10 off certificate for Indigo lying at home so this allows me to get even more books...

Tymora smiles upon us all eventually.

quote:

Thanks for all your suggestions. I appreciate the help.

Looking forward to hearing what you purchase, with what they have, and then hearing what you think of each tome.
SirUrza Posted - 08 Jan 2005 : 19:17:37
quote:

Well, I'll probably try to get the Counsellors & Kings trilogy and if I have any money left over, spend it on The Rite and the Sembia series. I just found out I have a $10 off certificate for Indigo lying at home so this allows me to get even more books...

I love when that happens. I had a $5 certificate for The Rite. :)
DDH_101 Posted - 08 Jan 2005 : 18:01:07

Thanks for all your suggestions. I appreciate the help.
The Hooded One Posted - 08 Jan 2005 : 16:54:48
Assuming you could find all of these without trouble (at Indigo, I very much doubt it), I'd choose:
Elminster's Daughter
Stormlight
Realms of Mystery
Azure Bonds
the rest of the Songs & Swords series
The Shadows of the Avatar trilogy
Azure Bonds
The Farthest Reach (sequel to Forsaken House) when it comes out; Ed says it's very good
. . . and if you don't have the Volo's Guides series, treat yourself to those free downloads and get all sorts of stories wrapped in gamebooks.
THO

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000