Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Out of print FR novels and In print FR novels

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Valondil the Ranger Posted - 03 Oct 2004 : 02:06:12
Hey, guys. I've got a question. I'm trying to become more familiar with the Realms buy reading the novels I have and studying my Campaign Setting. The Campaign Setting, though, isn't very informative and now I'm starting to rely no the Realms.

But since there are SOOOOO many FR novels that are out of print and hard to get, I'm not sure what to read. Are there any FR novels that are out of print, but are required to read if you want to become familiar with FR? Or can I just access all the ones I need because they're in print?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Valdar Oakensong Posted - 04 Oct 2004 : 21:14:10
It's very satisfying tracking down something that you have been looking for, except that I now have all of the novels apart from Neverwinter Nights which as it technically doesn't exist means that I will have to restart my DRAGONLANCE collection. I really can't see what everyone has against it. I shall have to start a thread over at Worlds of D+D.
Also I agree on yours and Rads views on the Finders books, I loved the characters, Georgi is one of my favourates.
Valondil, the other 2 Pools books are worth getting hold of if you can find them, in fact thinking about it I have 2 copies of Pools of Darkness so if you pay for the postage you can have it. email me if you are interested.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

The novels that are out of print are actually easier to find than you think, ebay is the answer. the only ones that you will struggle to find are the Double Diamond Triangle books. I would say to read every novel that you can find as most provide good info about the realms, and it is good fun trying to track them all down.

You and I obviously have different ideas of "good fun".

Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Oct 2004 : 15:29:50
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:

Have you read the Lost Gods books, Lord Rad?

No I haven't, they're on my list but i'm in no particular rush to read them. How do you rate them, Wooly? Do they take place largely outside of the Realms?

I think they're quite good, and that they rank among the better Realms novels.

Finder's Bane starts in the Realms but then moves into the planes about half-way thru.

Tymora's Luck happens almost entirely among the planes, but the interludes tell what's happening in the Realms -- and the Wyvernspur children pop up in a couple of the interludes.

Though it's not set in the Realms, it is a Realms tale because the characters are from the Realms, and most of the action happens in or near the realms of various Realms deities -- particularly Lathander. Selūne, Tymora, and Beshaba also appear in the novel. A couple other gods appear, but I'm trying not to give any spoilers.
Lord Rad Posted - 04 Oct 2004 : 13:33:18
quote:

No I haven't, they're on my list but i'm in no particular rush to read them. How do you rate them, Wooly? Do they take place largely outside of the Realms?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Oct 2004 : 09:01:35
Lord Rad Posted - 04 Oct 2004 : 07:51:10
quote:

The Wyvernspur series is more properly known as the Finder's Stone trilogy. I love those books, particularly the second one. The Harpers novel Masquerade follows the trilogy. Two of the three books of the Lost Gods trilogy kinda tie-in to the Finder's Stone trilogy. One of the characters from that trilogy is a major character in those two books, Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck (the middle book of the Lost Gods trilogy is a Dragginglance novel, and while interesting, you can skip it and not miss anything in the other two).

All those books were written by the writing duo of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb, and that duo is among my faves for Realms writers. Jeff Grubb was also involved in the TSR/DC comics, so one of the characters in the Lost Gods novels is from the Spelljammer comic (though she was originally intro'ed in the Triangles story arc of the FR comic).

Oh boy! i'd second that, Wooly! I loved The Wyvern's Spur, it's my favorite in that series by far. Masquerades was fantastic too! I wasn't expecting much from it but was blown away I'd recommend all four Alias novels.
Kuje Posted - 04 Oct 2004 : 06:21:21
quote:
Originally posted by Valondil the Ranger

Thanks, guys. Appreciate it. I currently have two out of print FR books that I was lucky enough to stumble upon: Pool of Radiance, and The Night Parade. Also, I have book two and three of the Wyvernspur series thing.

:) This site has some of the old FR novels if you click the novels link on the left side of the screen. Then click T for TSR. :)

http://www.nobleknight.com/
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Oct 2004 : 06:18:55
quote:

Thanks, guys. Appreciate it. I currently have two out of print FR books that I was lucky enough to stumble upon: Pool of Radiance, and The Night Parade. Also, I have book two and three of the Wyvernspur series thing.

The Wyvernspur series is more properly known as the Finder's Stone trilogy. I love those books, particularly the second one. The Harpers novel Masquerade follows the trilogy. Two of the three books of the Lost Gods trilogy kinda tie-in to the Finder's Stone trilogy. One of the characters from that trilogy is a major character in those two books, Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck (the middle book of the Lost Gods trilogy is a Dragginglance novel, and while interesting, you can skip it and not miss anything in the other two).

All those books were written by the writing duo of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb, and that duo is among my faves for Realms writers. Jeff Grubb was also involved in the TSR/DC comics, so one of the characters in the Lost Gods novels is from the Spelljammer comic (though she was originally intro'ed in the Triangles story arc of the FR comic).
Valondil the Ranger Posted - 04 Oct 2004 : 05:41:15
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Oct 2004 : 18:09:16
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

The novels that are out of print are actually easier to find than you think, ebay is the answer. the only ones that you will struggle to find are the Double Diamond Triangle books. I would say to read every novel that you can find as most provide good info about the realms, and it is good fun trying to track them all down.

You and I obviously have different ideas of "good fun".
Valdar Oakensong Posted - 03 Oct 2004 : 17:38:43
SiriusBlack Posted - 03 Oct 2004 : 02:17:11
quote:
Are there any FR novels that are out of print, but are required to read if you want to become familiar with FR? Or can I just access all the ones I need because they're in print?

I think the answer to your first question is very subjective. There are major events in Faerun's history that novels have covered that I'd recommend a fan be aware of. However, there are some good summarizations of the events in these novels in various gaming products. Thus, I think your question comes all down to a matter of taste. I know that's not very helpful, but it really depends on the person. For example, I love elves. Thus, Elaine Cunningham's novel, Evermeet: Island of Elves is a must. But, other FR fans, might be happy just with a summary of the recent events that this novel details.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000