Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Future of FR Novels?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Strahd Von Zarovich Posted - 23 Sep 2004 : 10:11:41
I am worried in a way how the future of Realms novels is shaping.

It seems for the first part of next year we have to put up with re-release after re-release of old novels.

How many times will we have to see the Drizzt books churned out?

I appreciate that WotC want to give people the opportunity to read books they might have missed the first time around, but it is not like the ones they are dishing out for the second time are hard to get hold of anyway!

I haven't been impressed with these 'Classes' novels that have come out so far and we have only more of those to come.

Alas I am left looking forward to 2 Paul Kemp books (WotsQ #6, and Cale #3), the next books in Scions of Arabar, The Year of Rogue Dragons, and The Last Mythal. But we have to wait almost a year between those books.

I do hope WotC have something good planned for the rest of 2005!

Regards

Strahd Von Zarovich
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Strahd Von Zarovich Posted - 27 Sep 2004 : 09:50:22
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
"no dishonor"!?! Why, I beg to differ

So.....erm...what are those volumes I see on your shelf? Now let me see....er....Draogons of......OH I SEE!

:: beats ol' Al down with Staff of Dishonor +20 ::

Regards

Strahd Von Zarovich
Alaundo Posted - 27 Sep 2004 : 09:18:29
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Strahd, my intro to the D&D game worlds was thru Dragonlance. Big Al may not wish us to discuss those tomes, and I can dig that, but having an interest in them is certainly no dishonor.

Well met

Aye, discussion of such would bring all manner of punishments to thee, Wooly Rupert

"no dishonor"!?! Why, I beg to differ
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Sep 2004 : 03:11:49
Strahd, my intro to the D&D game worlds was thru Dragonlance. Big Al may not wish us to discuss those tomes, and I can dig that, but having an interest in them is certainly no dishonor.
Valdar Oakensong Posted - 26 Sep 2004 : 22:37:23
It's Ok Strahd Dragonlance is nothing to be ashamed of. I will have to start building up my back catalogue soon, as these lazy Realms authors won't give us a book a week. How long can it take to write a novel for Ao's sake Only kidding of cause.
Strahd Von Zarovich Posted - 26 Sep 2004 : 12:56:51
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

I wouldn't worry overmuch, Strahd. As THO and Faraer pointed out, the re-issues do not bump new books. Instead, re-issues allow new readers to get their hands on important titles that might otherwise be found only in used book shops (the Avatar crisis, for example; or Elaine's Song and Swords series). I think the active schedule of re-releases reflects the excellent health of Realms fiction overall.

Thanks Paul, I will try to sleep a little easier in my cramped coffin

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

The reissues (including the very necessary mass-market republication of Shandril's Saga) don't take the place of new titles, though. Nothing else on the slate for 2005-6 interests you? Not looking forward to City of Splendors?

I am actually looking forward to City of Splendors, I kind of missed that out of my ones to watch.

Problem is I read about a book a week.

I did fall victim to buying Darkwalker on Moonshae (it looked nice) in its new cover.

But while I am waiting for the great FR books I have mentioned (by authors that frequent these halls I may add) I will fill out the gaps on my backlog of......cough.....ahem....Dragonlance Novels...

Regards

Strahd Von Zarovich
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 24 Sep 2004 : 17:16:49
You know, The Watercourse does sound vaguely like The Fountainhead.
Myrddin Posted - 23 Sep 2004 : 22:47:40
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

P.S. I've heard the Athans trilogy described as 'echoes of Ayn Rand, in the Realms' . . . VERY interesting.

Oh? Is the book entitled "Storm Giant Shrugged", or something like that?

No. Eliminster's First Rule
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 23 Sep 2004 : 21:29:57
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

P.S. I've heard the Athans trilogy described as 'echoes of Ayn Rand, in the Realms' . . . VERY interesting.

Oh? Is the book entitled "Storm Giant Shrugged", or something like that?
PaulSKemp Posted - 23 Sep 2004 : 18:20:58
I wouldn't worry overmuch, Strahd. As THO and Faraer pointed out, the re-issues do not bump new books. Instead, re-issues allow new readers to get their hands on important titles that might otherwise be found only in used book shops (the Avatar crisis, for example; or Elaine's Song and Swords series). I think the active schedule of re-releases reflects the excellent health of Realms fiction overall.

To echo THO, long may it continue.

Paul
The Hooded One Posted - 23 Sep 2004 : 17:37:04
Well said as always, Faraer: your point is quite correct, the reissues are occupying new ‘slots,’ not taking away slots from new releases. In effect, WotC Book Publishing is trying to increase their ‘bang for the buck’ to impress their Hasbro superiors.
Ever heard the old adage that a car dealership makes their real money not on sales of new models, but in the repair shop out back?
That applies to book publishing, too: the real money is in the backlist.
The problem is that to get new books out of starving authors, you have to pay them enough to eat. For ‘hot’ writers, you have to pay them decently (sometimes, quite a lot). That loads a cost onto acquiring new titles that is rarely there for ‘old’ books being reissued.
So smile, relax, and savor the wait by re-reading old classics. And praise Mr. Archer and Mr. Athans and the other Books folks for being wise enough to bring lots of new writers on board and getting them comfortable with the Realms. Long may it continue.
THO
SiriusBlack Posted - 23 Sep 2004 : 16:59:43
Doesn't Philip Athans new series start later next year? The subject matter along makes it a must for me.
Faraer Posted - 23 Sep 2004 : 13:42:44
The reissues (including the very necessary mass-market republication of Shandril's Saga) don't take the place of new titles, though. Nothing else on the slate for 2005-6 interests you? Not looking forward to City of Splendors?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000