Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Amnian Architecture

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bruce Donohue Posted - 08 Sep 2004 : 04:36:44
I was wondering what type of Architectural styles are most typical in Amnian cities such as Athkatla and Murann?

Which ranking of the Council of Six is missing and still captured by the Ogres Mages in Murann? For example Meisarch (Thayze Selemchant would he still be a 9th level magic user?), Tessarch, Namarch, Iltarch, Pommarch, and Dahaunarch.

With the Council of Six slightly crippled, will the Shadowmasters or the Knight of Shield try to vie to take over and become the new Council?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Steven Schend Posted - 15 Sep 2004 : 19:26:45
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

quote:
So many lovely left-over plots, so little time.....

But that is a very good thing Steven, keeps the mind very sharp.

What are some of the family names of some of more influencial merchant families in Amn and Athkatla?

All that info's covered in LANDS OF INTRIGUE, Bruce, which I'm shocked you don't have already!

It's still a free download from Wizards, but here's the short answers:

Major merchant clans of Athkatla (in order of social/monetary influence/prestige):

Argrims (money from gold mines, shipwrights); allies of Ophals & Zoars, enemies of Lurraxols, Bormuls, & Copriths.

Bormuls (money from silver mines, wineries); allies of Vymmars & Copriths, enemies of Argrims & Lurraxols.

Ophals (money from spices, food trade to North); allies of Bladesmiles & Copriths, enemies of Vymmars, Zoars, & Crytrappers

Vymmars (money from land owning, textiles); allies of Lurraxols, Bormuls, & Copriths, enemies of Argrims, Ophals, & Krimmevols.

Zoars (money from armor & weaponsmithing); allies of Argrims, Bladesmiles, Krimmevols, & Crytrappers, enemies of Ophals & Copriths

Crytrappers (money from furs, trapping, monster hunting or training); allies of Zoars & Krimmevols, enemies of Ophals & Bladesmiles

Copriths (former power in Athkatla, broken since her defection and nigh-rulership of Riatavin for the Queen of Tethyr)

quote:
How much influence is the church of Cyric having upon the affairs currently in Murann with the Ogre Mages?

Hard to say, though they're in there thick as thieves. Until I need to (and am able to) revisit the story of the Sythilisians, I'd just as soon leave all that matter up to individual DMs.

Steven
Bruce Donohue Posted - 13 Sep 2004 : 18:18:04
quote:

But that is a very good thing Steven, keeps the mind very sharp.

What are some of the family names of some of more influencial merchant families in Amn and Athkatla?

How much influence is the church of Cyric having upon the affairs currently in Murann with the Ogre Mages?
Steven Schend Posted - 08 Sep 2004 : 18:57:43
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

I was wondering what type of Architectural styles are most typical in Amnian cities such as Athkatla and Murann?

Think Moorish Spain and/or southern France in terms of architecture. It's got touches of southern architecture in domes and arches and more stone than wood construction, but the area has to adapt to the environment. Thus, less full-stone buildings and more mixed with wood constructions, etc.

Amn was settled by a mix of Calishite and Shoonite settlers, but while they love the style of architecture and use it decoratively, it's not feasible in their cooler climes to have as many window screens and open pillared courtyards (essential as air conditioning and air flow in hot Calimshan). It's an odd mix of what you'd expect in Waterdeep or Baldur's Gate alongside an opulent domed manor house or minaret tower.

If you want to make architectural queues in some Amnian cities that might have more Calishite influences, give them that walled sabban structure detailed in CALIMPORT. In general, Amnians don't follow the social structure that the rich walk above the lowly, but there could be older city areas that still have that setup and they've adapted with it over the centuries.

And this question now has me thinking of doing a quick article/scroll on exactly what it means when we say Shoon-style architecture.....hmmm.....

quote:
With the Council of Six slightly crippled, will the Shadowmasters or the Knight of Shield try to vie to take over and become the new Council?

Doubtful, as Rhinnom Dannihyr rather likes to play both sides against the middle, allowing him to retain power, regardless of what happens to either power base. And while the Knights of the Shield could bring their power to bear on Amn, they'd make it a turf war with the Shadow Thieves and both would lose grievously.

Besides, Rhinnom's still debating as to whether he should use the Thieves' influence and power to sustain the rule of the COuncil or back the conspiracy to restore Amn's crown (as suggested in Cloak & Dagger). That plot's still in play, last I checked, and George's query on Amn's monarchy has that plot in my head as well....

Steven
Garen Thal Posted - 08 Sep 2004 : 05:16:04
From the illustrations in Lands of Intrigue, Amn seems to have a heavy Arabian flavor to its architecture, with spires and domes and suchlike decorating important buildings.

According to Lands of Intrigue, Tessarch Phaan Colwyvv was the captured member of the Council, and it is most likely he that is still held in Murann.

It is perfectly conceivable that the Knights of the Shield would use the current unrest among the Council of Six to gain political advantage, but it's doubtful that they could succeed in overthrowing the current Council, and just as doubtful that they would try. Nearly all the Knights are content to use their allegiance solely for personal gain, and the entire order is too vested in other interests to try and take over a country by any means.

There is no doubt that the malaugrym are trying something in Amn, but they are always trying something somewhere.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000