Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Just starting with novels

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
feygan Posted - 31 Aug 2004 : 13:20:59
Ok it's a shameful thing to admit but until a week ago i'd never read a single FR novel, yet have been playing the realms for around 15 years or so.
So with a mountain ahead of me i figured that starting in the beginning was a good place. However where the "beginning" is has me a little stumped??
Do i go with whats the chronological beginning with publish date or FR date??

So far i started with the moonshae trilogy since its was the first FR book published, but should i be going for the FR dates?
Opinions invited to allow me to get the most out of the novels thanks.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alaundo Posted - 04 Sep 2004 : 10:21:15
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

Not too familiar with DL stuff, I have read the first 3 trilogies printed years ago. Here is a site you might like, lots of people from the 'keep are there.
www.worldsofdnd.com
Thats enough for now, I can hear the swish of a staff of irritated moderator

quote:

If some one is going to start a dragonlance email game, I'd be interested in joining. :) We should take this to ethereal mail, or an off topic board, because Alaundo is going to yell at us. Grins innocently at the Master Scribe.

Well met

Thanks ye, Valdar

Indeed, head over to Worlds, yonder for anything not of this land
Valdar Oakensong Posted - 03 Sep 2004 : 20:48:25
Not too familiar with DL stuff, I have read the first 3 trilogies printed years ago. Here is a site you might like, lots of people from the 'keep are there.
www.worldsofdnd.com
Thats enough for now, I can hear the swish of a staff of irritated moderator

quote:

If some one is going to start a dragonlance email game, I'd be interested in joining. :) We should take this to ethereal mail, or an off topic board, because Alaundo is going to yell at us. Grins innocently at the Master Scribe.

Kuje Posted - 03 Sep 2004 : 19:07:21
quote:

I have thought about PBEM but does it actually work and is is any good?

Well as a DM who has been running a PBEM for over a year let me give you my experiences. :) I also have 2 other PBEM's that haven't been going on as long. I tend to dislike play by posts that are usually played on a message board, or also chat games. After playing and running a few chat games, those types are hard on the eyes because you have to keep up with the scroll and having everyone answer at once.

Combat tends to be a lot slower, so some times it's easier for the DM to just get a email with a lot of combat actions from the PC's and then plung them into the story after rolling.

The roleplay, though, is a lot better. For many of us, text is easier to describe then voice.... If that makes sense. Plus you get more time to think about your actions.

I tend to send updates once a day if there are four or more PCs in the game. Usually the players reply once a day as well, or some of them reply more then that if we are doing a one on one email game.

The problem is that a lot of players tend to dry up after awhile, either the game isn't what they like, or it's slow, or they just stop replying in general. :)

Valdar Oakensong Posted - 03 Sep 2004 : 13:57:44
I have thought about PBEM but does it actually work and is is any good?

quote:

Ditto for both parts of this statement... I started with Dragonlance, and currently haven't any like-minded people to game with.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Sep 2004 : 00:28:14
quote:

I am the totally opposite way, been reading the books from the beginning(Dragonlance as well) but had no like minded people to play D+D with.

Ditto for both parts of this statement... I started with Dragonlance, and currently haven't any like-minded people to game with.
Valdar Oakensong Posted - 02 Sep 2004 : 22:34:41
Do what I did, start with the Moonshae Trilogy, then the Icewind Dale Trilogy, then spend lots of money catching us up as you will be caught hook, line and sinker. I am the totally opposite way, been reading the books from the beginning(Dragonlance as well) but had no like minded people to play D+D with.
Lina Posted - 02 Sep 2004 : 10:50:31
WHAT!!! Never touched a FR book till now!

For me I got onto the books before the games.

There's really no chronological order to read FR novels as most series are totally unrelated. But the Avatar Series is a must read as a few novels refer to this event back in time which affected all races on Faerun. Also take a look at the novels listed in Candlekeep's main site.
VEDSICA Posted - 01 Sep 2004 : 22:58:32
Oh I'm easy going like that SB.It's just funny because I was watching wrestling last night for the first time in a long time,and it just brought up all the interviews they were doing.So I put a wrestlers voice in my post,and found it funny.
SiriusBlack Posted - 01 Sep 2004 : 18:57:26
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

SB it kind of does sound like a wrestling promo.

Thank you for taking it in the spirit it was intended.
VEDSICA Posted - 01 Sep 2004 : 18:03:11
SB it kind of does sound like a wrestling promo.
SiriusBlack Posted - 01 Sep 2004 : 03:11:07
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Feygan to the Nine Hells with chronological order,and all that jazz.Go get Forsaken House,and read it.If that doesn't bring you back for more, then I don't know what will.

Good recommendation even if it sounds like a wrestling promo.
SiriusBlack Posted - 01 Sep 2004 : 03:06:42
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Wow, they've updated that page since I last looked... Thanks for sharing that link!

You're welcome stranger. Do I know you? The name is familiar but I don't recognize the avatar.

I think at one time Elaine Cunningham had a link to a part of the article from her web site. I know the WOTC article has been useful to this scribe on more than one occasion.
VEDSICA Posted - 01 Sep 2004 : 02:03:04
Feygan to the Nine Hells with chronological order,and all that jazz.Go get Forsaken House,and read it.If that doesn't bring you back for more, then I don't know what will.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Sep 2004 : 00:47:49
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Somewhere on the WotC site (as I know I wrote it long ago and far away) was a chronological listing of novels up through 1999/early 2000 noting when they happened on the FR timeline. That might be one guide to reading the novels, if you're more interested in going by canonical historical flow.

If anyone knows the links to that fiction listing by time, you're a better person than I am right now....

Steven

Is this the article?

Wow, they've updated that page since I last looked... Thanks for sharing that link!
feygan Posted - 31 Aug 2004 : 22:58:49
I've used this place for my novel checks. http://www.o-love.net/realms/
SiriusBlack Posted - 31 Aug 2004 : 22:44:20
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Somewhere on the WotC site (as I know I wrote it long ago and far away) was a chronological listing of novels up through 1999/early 2000 noting when they happened on the FR timeline. That might be one guide to reading the novels, if you're more interested in going by canonical historical flow.

If anyone knows the links to that fiction listing by time, you're a better person than I am right now....

Steven

Is this the article?
Steven Schend Posted - 31 Aug 2004 : 22:27:49

Steven
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Aug 2004 : 16:50:31
I first read the novels pretty much in the order published, but that's only because I was buying them as they came out.

Now, when I re-read them, I pick and choose, according to whim.
SiriusBlack Posted - 31 Aug 2004 : 16:24:27
quote:
Originally posted by feygan

Ok it's a shameful thing to admit but until a week ago i'd never read a single FR novel, yet have been playing the realms for around 15 years or so.

You sound like you're in attendance at one of those twelve step meetings. "Hi, I'm feygan and I have never read a FR novel.

Group: "Hi Feygan!"

quote:

Do i go with whats the chronological beginning with publish date or FR date??

I'd vote neither. You said you game in the Realms. Thus, what part of the Realms did you find fascinating when gaming? And what parts did you clearly not like?
Lord Rad Posted - 31 Aug 2004 : 13:39:46
A shameful thing indeed

Check out similiar topics (perhaps use the search function), as this question has been asked and answered a number of time. Theyre in there somewhere amongst all the other scrolls.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000