Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Quick Question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aldrick the Nightblade Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 03:31:03
On the Avatar series, who are the people on the front of all the books? I know that they are gods, but which ones?
Fight Strong,

Aldrick the Nightblade
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Aldrick the Nightblade Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 17:39:30
Ok ,that explains how good they have gotten....you can see Drizzt's raw emotion an rage on those cover arts...
SiriusBlack Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 17:21:26
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick the Nightblade

I will...dosen't Lockwood do the Hunters Blades Trilogy, and Highwayman?

No idea on the latter, but the former, yes. Lockwood has done the covers for the newest Drizzt books.
Aldrick the Nightblade Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 16:55:50
I will...dosen't Lockwood do the Hunters Blades Trilogy, and Highwayman?
SiriusBlack Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 16:44:31
quote:

But in the books of Drizzt, it makes him out to be young and handsome...the artists in the legacy of the drow must not have read it!

As I said, I understand. Communication between writers and artists varies from what I've seen shared here and elsewhere. If you can do a search through Elaine Cunningham's scroll I think you'll find her sharing Todd Lockwood's approach when he did the new covers for the republication of her books in the Starlight and Shadows series. It was very interesting to see what communication took place there and the resulting art versus the previous covers for the initial publications of these books.

P.S. How could I forget my coal miners elves in UE when it came to art making a strong impression. For shame...for shame.
Aldrick the Nightblade Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 16:37:56
But in the books of Drizzt, it makes him out to be young and handsome...the artists in the legacy of the drow must not have read it!
SiriusBlack Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 16:34:59
quote:

I'm actually reading the thrid book...and I gotta agree with you, the pictures really don't depict the characters in the books. Haven't we seen that somwhere else...( Drizzt series)

Art is very subjective....eye of the beholder...blah...blah....blah. I'm sure you've heard it before, but it is valid as not every fan/artist will see someone in the same manner.

Thus, I can understand variations and artist interpretations. However, some of the past FR art for 3.0e really stood out....If memory serves it was the Trainspotting elves in F&P and the Elecrtic Bugaloo drow in another item that had the strongest negative impressions on me.

I'm eager to get Forsaken house on Thursday to get a closer look at that cover.
SiriusBlack Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 16:31:15
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Yeah, the cover art for those books didn't do too much for me, either... Too bad they didn't get Elmore to do the art.

Who is the artist or artists for the new covers?
Aldrick the Nightblade Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 16:16:49
I'm actually reading the thrid book...and I gotta agree with you, the pictures really don't depict the characters in the books. Haven't we seen that somwhere else...( Drizzt series)
Winterfox Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 16:02:00
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox
Cyric makes me giggle insanely, which might just be the point (not to mention that he bears a strong resemblance to whatever god featured on the cover of Faith and Pantheons -- one that I know is definitely not Cyric).
Not so. The deity on the cover of Faiths and Pantheons battling Bane is indeed meant to be Cyric, although it winds up looking more like an anonymous, vaguely androgynous god(dess) of good battling the Black Hand. I can't find the place where this was mentioned, possibly in the Ask Rich Baker/Official Designer megathread at the WotC boards, but the god on the cover was Cyric. At least, in theory.

In that case -- oops. The picture that's clearly designated as "Cyric" in the same book, however, by no means resembles the one on the cover. Fuh.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 15:59:35
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I wasn't thrilled with the original covers, even less thrilled with these new ones.

Yeah, the cover art for those books didn't do too much for me, either... Too bad they didn't get Elmore to do the art.
SiriusBlack Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 15:52:44
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
Not so. The deity on the cover of Faiths and Pantheons battling Bane is indeed meant to be Cyric, although it winds up looking more like an anonymous, vaguely androgynous god(dess) of good battling the Black Hand. I can't find the place where this was mentioned, possibly in the Ask Rich Baker/Official Designer megathread at the WotC boards, but the god on the cover was Cyric. At least, in theory.

This sounds vaguely familiar. It definitely was somewhere on the WOTC board that this subject came up. Anyone who still goes there and has patience can perhaps do a search for the thread.

Regardless, if there was this much confusion, the cover didn't do a good job portraying Cyric.
Garen Thal Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 15:29:51
quote:
Cyric makes me giggle insanely, which might just be the point (not to mention that he bears a strong resemblance to whatever god featured on the cover of Faith and Pantheons -- one that I know is definitely not Cyric).
Winterfox Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 14:53:03
Bane looks like a Mongolian warlord. Or a monk. Kelemvor's posture and expression make him look rather... psychopathic. Murder in the eye and all that. Cyric makes me giggle insanely, which might just be the point (not to mention that he bears a strong resemblance to whatever god featured on the cover of Faith and Pantheons -- one that I know is definitely not Cyric).

Well, one thing that can be said is that it's... certainly different?
SiriusBlack Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 14:41:18
Mytra looks like a human wheel of fortune.

"Come on folks, let's spin the wheel and see if the Goddess of Magic will land on big money cause Jeb here's got a feeling there are a lotta T's in that phrase."

If I recall right, the republication of the series brought about these new covers. I wasn't thrilled with the original covers, even less thrilled with these new ones.

Ah well, too each his/her own.
Arivia Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 10:14:36
quote:

*giggles* Mystra looks like a Goth girl.

That's exactly what I thought she looked like, too!

*hits self with staff of anti-AOL-speech*
Winterfox Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 09:50:22
*giggles* Mystra looks like a Goth girl.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 09:00:22
Ah, thank you for that info. And I have to say, I do not like the new cover!
Garen Thal Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 07:05:09
Yes, the covers have since changed (and been standardized). All now depict a character (four of five are deities) standing in front of a wall--or obelisk, if you like--with their holy symbol radiating light around them. The new cover of Shadowdale, for an example, is available at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/964480000.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 06:47:22
Have they changed the cover art since the original release of the books? My copy of Shadowdale has Kelemvor, Cyric, Midnight, and Adon on the cover...
Garen Thal Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 05:57:18
Each of the deities depicted on the covers is standing in front of their holy symbol (Book V does not actually have a god on the cover):

Book I- Shadowdale: Mystra
Book II- Tantras: Bane
Book III- Waterdeep: Kelemvor
Book IV- Prince of Lies: Cyric
Book V- Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad: Malyk, Seraph of Lies (an important character and follower of Cyric) standing in front of Cyric's holy symbol.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000