Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Cities Series.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Elmonster Posted - 24 Mar 2004 : 13:33:01
Hello
Who has read "The Cities" series? Are they worth reading or not? And what is the best novel in the series? I've just read "the Black Boquet" and "The Alabaster Staff", and i really want to read some other interesting "urban" novels.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 26 Dec 2007 : 23:11:45
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

A sequel? Nope.

Thanks
Yes, a sequel !

Excuse my bad English writing.

You're welcome...and don't worry about it.
Fillow Posted - 26 Dec 2007 : 21:08:37
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

A sequel? Nope.

Thanks
Yes, a sequel !

Excuse my bad English writing.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 26 Dec 2007 : 21:05:22
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Does it exist a following novel to The city of Raven ?

A sequel? Nope.
Fillow Posted - 26 Dec 2007 : 20:52:22
Does it exist a following novel to The city of Raven ?

Jack, at the moment, the character I prefer in the novels I read.
He's human. He looks like someone we could see everyday IRL !
Quite good to dive within the book !
Alaundo Posted - 02 Apr 2005 : 18:52:00
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

I'm also a little disappointed City of Splendours will be in hardcover first as it's highly unlikely my finances will stretch to it.

I generally avoid the hardcovers, but this one will be an exception.

I normally only purchase Ed's books in hardcover, although the WotSQ novels were the exception, and so it seems, will be City of Splendors.

Well met

Indeed. On this occassion, i'll have to purchase both the hardcover (for prestige and immediate reading) and the paperback a year later (to place next to the other tomes in the Cities series, for completeness
The Sage Posted - 02 Apr 2005 : 11:39:00
quote:

quote:

I'm also a little disappointed City of Splendours will be in hardcover first as it's highly unlikely my finances will stretch to it.

I normally only purchase Ed's books in hardcover, although the WotSQ novels were the exception, and so it seems, will be City of Splendors.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 02 Apr 2005 : 07:39:16
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn
From what I heard from people, Corin has great character development but initially he didn't seem like a great character. The whole cliched thing I'm talking about is the man-meets-up-with-girl-who-changes-his-life cliche I've seen in many stories. I don't know that's just me.

However, there is no romance between Corin and the girl he meets, which *is* a deviation from the norm, and a good one at that. Also, it features a gnome that the story actually takes seriously, which is also good.

So far I've only read Temple Hill, and I thought it was a great book. I've never seen City of Ravens in stores, so I'll have to get it on line. I own Jewel of Turmish, but haven't bothered to read it yet.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Apr 2005 : 23:46:03
quote:

Reefy Posted - 01 Apr 2005 : 20:54:36
Four seems to be the standard currently, when it's not part of a trilogy, that is.
As for the Cities, I've only read City of Ravens but I very much enjoyed it. I'm also a little disappointed City of Splendours will be in hardcover first as it's highly unlikely my finances will stretch to it.
SiriusBlack Posted - 01 Apr 2005 : 06:13:55
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

But will it end up being four-strong? The list can go on, but will it?

I don't think there is any way to currently know whether or not the series will continue. Originally, I do not believe anyone thought the Waterdeep novel would be a part of the series.
Smyther Posted - 01 Apr 2005 : 06:01:23
But will it end up being four-strong? The list can go on, but will it?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Apr 2005 : 04:10:23
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

Do people know if this is going to stop as a 'four-strong' series like the Rogues et all, or an on-going series like the Harpers?
Somehow, I can't see it stopping at four if it is detailing the most important or famous cities in the Realms if it only has Raven's Bluff, Eversult, Alaghon, and Waterdeep...
I could certainly see a Calimport novel, Westgate, Arabel, Suzail, Mezro... the list could go on and on.

The list could go on and on, but I don't see that happening. I think that after only a handful, interest would begin to wane.

The Harpers run was kind of a unique case. Most of the tales had absolutely nothing to do with each other, and were just kinda lumped into one series.
Smyther Posted - 01 Apr 2005 : 03:40:40
Do people know if this is going to stop as a 'four-strong' series like the Rogues et all, or an on-going series like the Harpers?
Somehow, I can't see it stopping at four if it is detailing the most important or famous cities in the Realms if it only has Raven's Bluff, Eversult, Alaghon, and Waterdeep...
I could certainly see a Calimport novel, Westgate, Arabel, Suzail, Mezro... the list could go on and on.
SiriusBlack Posted - 26 Mar 2005 : 05:11:31
quote:
Well, they should. I mean, what else are they going to stock?

Oprah's latest favorite in the systems I've known.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Mar 2005 : 03:12:21
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Just go to the library and check it out... That's what I did with Elminster's Daughter and a couple of non-Realms books...

Not every library system embraces the idea of Realms books on the shelves.

Well, they should. I mean, what else are they going to stock?
SiriusBlack Posted - 26 Mar 2005 : 02:08:38
quote:

Just go to the library and check it out... That's what I did with Elminster's Daughter and a couple of non-Realms books...

Not every library system embraces the idea of Realms books on the shelves.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Mar 2005 : 22:58:42
Chosen of Bane Posted - 25 Mar 2005 : 18:16:25
Yeah, at least I'll be able to pick up Emerald Sceptre and Annihilation during August. There's enough to keep me busy. I haven't even read the "Two Swords" yet because of my bizarre need to have all my books the same size.
SiriusBlack Posted - 25 Mar 2005 : 17:49:24
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane
Guess I'll have to wait longer than I thought to read this one.

Well, at least you get to hear about others scribes enjoying the hardback version while you wait for the paperback edition.
Chosen of Bane Posted - 25 Mar 2005 : 17:32:05
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Yes, the novel for Waterdeep is coming out in hardcover first.

This is awful news for me. I'm not cheap, it has nothing to do with the cost but I am very obsessive compuslive when it comes to symmetry on my book shelf.

I will not buy a hard cover realms book simply because it won't fit in with the rest of my realms books. I am even re-buying the Shandril's Saga in small paperback even though I have read them because originally I only had the jumbo paperback versions.

Guess I'll have to wait longer than I thought to read this one.
SiriusBlack Posted - 25 Mar 2005 : 16:03:23
quote:
It's coming out on hardcover first?

Yes, the novel for Waterdeep is coming out in hardcover first.
Paec_djinn Posted - 25 Mar 2005 : 13:25:11
quote:
Quite correct. I'll also happy to see that they have kept the Cities logo after all these years Natuarally, i'll therefore have to pick up the hardcover on initial release as well as the paperback next year to fit with the other three books in the series

It's coming out on hardcover first?

quote:
I'd say that City of Ravens is the cliched novel rather than Temple Hill. To be honest, they're about on a par, I thoroughly enjoyed them both. Whilst I liked the protagonist Jack Ravenwild in City of Ravens, he was a typical rogue-ish type of character, whereas I felt more depth in Corin from Temple Hill.

From what I heard from people, Corin has great character development but initially he didn't seem like a great character. The whole cliched thing I'm talking about is the man-meets-up-with-girl-who-changes-his-life cliche I've seen in many stories. I don't know that's just me.

Nonetheless I've already picked up City of Ravens and while I had an opportunity to buy Temple Hill as my fourth book, I don't know why I went for Thornhold instead.
Lady Kazandra Posted - 25 Mar 2005 : 12:10:44
I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Jewel of Turmish Rad.

What did you feel was wrong with the story?
Lord Rad Posted - 25 Mar 2005 : 09:28:48
quote:

I'm leaning slightly more for City of Ravens now because Temple Hill's plot seems rather cliched. But I'm still open to more suggestions.

I'd say that City of Ravens is the cliched novel rather than Temple Hill. To be honest, they're about on a par, I thoroughly enjoyed them both. Whilst I liked the protagonist Jack Ravenwild in City of Ravens, he was a typical rogue-ish type of character, whereas I felt more depth in Corin from Temple Hill.
Alaundo Posted - 25 Mar 2005 : 09:21:01
quote:
Originally posted by Realmslore

Going by the pre-release cover art for the new Waterdeep novel, it appears that City of Splendors is included in The Cities series.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/887760000

Well met

Quite correct. I'll also happy to see that they have kept the Cities logo after all these years Natuarally, i'll therefore have to pick up the hardcover on initial release as well as the paperback next year to fit with the other three books in the series

To the question, I also highly recommend Temple Hill and City of Ravens. Temple Hill probably taking the prize and City of Ravens coming a close second. A very good series indeed.
Brian R. James Posted - 25 Mar 2005 : 00:22:54
Going by the pre-release cover art for the new Waterdeep novel, it appears that City of Splendors is included in The Cities series.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/887760000
Paec_djinn Posted - 24 Mar 2005 : 22:33:30
quote:
Originally posted by wwwwwww

quote:

Should I get City of Ravens or should I just pick up Temple Hill instead? Or does anyone thing Jewel of Turmish is better than the other two?
My suggestion is to get all of them. That way you can read 'em at your leisure.

As I said, I don't think I'll have the money to buy more than three(perhaps four) books and the other two spots are reserved for Crucible and Forsaken House.

I'm leaning slightly more for City of Ravens now because Temple Hill's plot seems rather cliched. But I'm still open to more suggestions.
(Jewel of Turmish didn't seem very interesting when i read the first chapter)
VEDSICA Posted - 24 Mar 2005 : 20:00:05
I liked City of Ravens the best out of the three.
Snotlord Posted - 24 Mar 2005 : 17:11:45
I just want to chime in with the City of Ravens fans. Its the coolest FR book of the dozen-or-so I've read so far. It reminded me of reading the Three Musketeers and the Scarlet Pimpernell as a kid. A very enjoyable swashbuckling adventure in a setting with lots of magic. A must-read for any FR fan.

I am pleased that the other books in the series are well-recieved. Thank you for the tip
Lord Rad Posted - 24 Mar 2005 : 16:59:08
I wasn't really impressed with The Jewel of Turmish but DEFINATELY get the other two books. City of Ravens was very entertaining and had a good old adventuring feel about it. My favorite out of the 3 though has to be Temple Hill. I thought Drew writes very well and had an excellent story. The protagonist was a very well done character too and the feel of the story and setting reminded me a little of Thomas M Reid's Scions of Arabbar trilogy.

Highly recommended.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000