Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Would Corellon... (Night of the Hunter spoiler)?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Drizztsmanchild Posted - 17 Jun 2014 : 10:45:44
I asked this before about Corellon becoming involved in a Drizzt story because of his hatred for Lloth, but was told he wouldn't because it really didn't concern him (to paraphrase).

But now I ask again because at the end of the Night of the Hunter novel a minion of LLOTH is performing a ritual called the Darkening(which is a powerful spell effectively darkening the area) in the Silver Marches area.If I am not mistaken it there's quite a few elves living in the area (I could be wrong, but according to RAS they are there still).
Would Corellon be involved in helping to counter the spell.
It is described that the spell is to powerful for the drow that is casting it, and he is merely a vessel in which Lloth is using.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TBeholder Posted - 18 Jun 2014 : 22:46:11
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

I asked this before about Corellon becoming involved in a Drizzt story because of his hatred for Lloth, but was told he wouldn't because it really didn't concern him (to paraphrase).

But now I ask again because at the end of the Night of the Hunter novel a minion of LLOTH is performing a ritual [...] there's quite a few elves living in the area [...]
Would Corellon be involved in helping to counter the spell.

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

But yeah followers of Corellon/Seldarine (aslo, specifically Shevarash) should do something, if elves are threatened by what Lolth is planning...
I don't see why this would come directly from Corellon. But the Seldarine in general probably should react on this, yes.
Sehanine Moonbow would send a lot of warning visions.
Shevarash would send a hit team.

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by Crystyn

From what I understood Corellon took the untainted undrowed Dark Elves under his mantle at the end of Lady Penitent, which essentially makes them full fledged surface elves.
Err, made into Brown Elves with reduced abilities. *shrugs* with no deity. Not much of a bargain in my, and a few others, view.
There's a dedicated thread for implications (and therefore mockery) of LP. I happily dance around this flame myself, but let's not spill the fuel everywhere?
Irennan Posted - 18 Jun 2014 : 01:33:47
quote:

quote:

quote:

Corellon has had little said about, one would think after casting down Lloth to be a minor demon he might notice when she achieved deity again though as intermediate. One would think Corellon would be more concerned when Lolth achieved major divinity. There is only one recent example of him even dealing with Lolth and that was a visit when Eilistraee life was forfeit. We do not know what if anything he actually did.

It clearly does appear that Tanthalas opinion is valid, authors do not do much with Elven religion. As far as it goes it also appears to me that designers are not spending much time on the matter either.

From what I understood Corellon took the untainted undrowed Dark Elves under his mantle at the end of Lady Penitent, which essentially makes them full fledged surface elves.

Err, made into Brown Elves with reduced abilities. *shrugs* with no deity. Not much of a bargain in my, and a few others, view.

Most importantly, neither Eilistraee nor her followers wish to change what they are and be wannabe surface elves, they wish for both their races to be together again and for the drow to forge their place in the world. But this is OT.

On topic, a spell that basically consists of a bigger area version of a drow innate ability is too powerful for even a group of drow mages to cast? And isn't it part of what the -already resolved- Rise of the Underdark event was about? Or are Drizzt books currently set during that RSE?

But yeah followers of Corellon/Seldarine (aslo, specifically Shevarash) should do something, if elves are threatened by what Lolth is planning...
Kentinal Posted - 18 Jun 2014 : 00:54:41
quote:

quote:

Corellon has had little said about, one would think after casting down Lloth to be a minor demon he might notice when she achieved deity again though as intermediate. One would think Corellon would be more concerned when Lolth achieved major divinity. There is only one recent example of him even dealing with Lolth and that was a visit when Eilistraee life was forfeit. We do not know what if anything he actually did.

It clearly does appear that Tanthalas opinion is valid, authors do not do much with Elven religion. As far as it goes it also appears to me that designers are not spending much time on the matter either.

Crystyn Posted - 18 Jun 2014 : 00:36:37
quote:

CorellonsDevout Posted - 17 Jun 2014 : 21:53:55
Sadly, Corellon hasn't made an appearance since the end of Lady Penitent. In the Last Mythal trilogy, it said the Seldarine encourage the elves to do things themselves, for the betterment of the People. However, I was surprised he wasn't even mentioned in the Herald, considering the destruction of Myth Drannor. This is another reason I miss Elaine Cunningham writing in the Realms: she always wrote great elf stories.

Maybe if there is another novel that focuses on the elves, or as the Darkening becomes a huge event and isn't brushed over like WotC did with some of the drow becoming dark elves again, we might see more Corellon. As his devout, I would like to see more of him! This doesn't have to mean him making a physical manifestation, since WotC wanted to cut down on that, but having his followers thwart Lolthites or something.
Kentinal Posted - 17 Jun 2014 : 18:54:12

Tanthalas Posted - 17 Jun 2014 : 18:41:30
I don't think there's a grand plan in the FR setting where the Seldarine have a rule of not intervening much with their followers, but rather that the FR authors just don't write much about the elves. Most of them focus on human characters, which naturally leads to them focusing more on human deities.
BenN Posted - 17 Jun 2014 : 11:45:27
IIRC, one of the targets of the new Drow offensive is the elf community in the Moonwood, the clan of Doum'wielle's mother, but I've no idea if Corellon would intervene or not.

In my mind, this raises an interesting point: compared to the human deities (and indeed the Dark Seldarine) in the FR, the Seldarine don't seem to intervene very much in the affairs of their mortal worshippers, even when the latter are faced with dire threats - the drow, the phaerimm, etc.

(I'm not saying that's a bad thing - I'd prefer the gods of the realms in general to have a more hands-off approach, Mystra coming to dinner in The Herald was hard to take seriously IMHO).

Also, in The Sundering novels, there is very little mention made of elven Chosen (or indeed of other non-human Chosen). There are a few in The Adversary (notably what appears to be a Chosen of Rillifane Rallathil).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000