Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Ed Greenwoods niflheim books

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shorac Posted - 19 Feb 2014 : 04:10:51
.. I purchased them awhile back and loved Ed's world the guy continues to turn out amazing material . Has anyone else read them and what did you think?.. I myself like his take on drow society , he's left alot of room to explore for future novels and I'm anxiously awaiting another book.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blueblade Posted - 21 Feb 2014 : 02:47:17
Um, think you misread my post.
The Niflheim books AREN'T a trilogy, they're a duology. Only two have been written, so you can't not "bother to complete the trilogy." There ain't no trilogy.
BB
Ayrik Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 23:56:21
Ah, I‘m not bashing Ed. I do like some of his books and writings. And I certainly loved the (AD&D) Forgotten Realms he (and Jeff Grubb) created.

I‘m just saying that, overall, I didn‘t find these particular books very satisfying. I won‘t bother to complete the trilogy. And yes, in no small part because the particular content/genre just happens to be something which I personally find unappealing. I don‘t enjoy vampire books either, but more power to those who can read and write them with success.
Blueblade Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 16:37:13
Ayrik, not a trilogy. (At least, not yet.) Those "couple" you read are all there are.
The first book works fine as a standalone story, the second is a sequel to the first, but they don't have that "written as a trilogy" feel or plot.
I liked them, and while I agree with your criticisms, they were never billed as anything different from what the reader got. The jacket blurbs, the flyleaf copy, etc. all tell you what Ed's going to deliver, and he delivers it. If the jar says peanut butter and the contents are good peanut butter, where's the foul or harm?
I myself would like to see more books in this series, because I'd like to see more of the unlikely pairing, and more of the other, competing dark elf societies we saw glimpses of in the second book.
BB
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 20 Feb 2014 : 03:23:46
I've only read the first novel, and, personally, I liked it.
Ayrik Posted - 19 Feb 2014 : 23:39:09
I‘ve read a couple of these.

I liked Ed‘s attempt to recreate mythological dark elves apart from D&D (and I‘m always a sucker for tales about rough-hewn barbarians!), but I misliked how much D&D-based drow culture managed to not-so-subtly pervade the dark elven race of his setting. A worthy enough effort on Ed‘s part, but not enough to engage my interest to the end of the trilogy. To be fair, it‘s a bit tough to successfully mix high fantasy with low-magic. And to be really fair, I may have let my overwhelming disgust of elven and drow fantasy saturation produce too much precarious criticism for these novels to overcome.

These books were written, it seems, for a somewhat youngish audience. I try to be open-minded about that as well, but it requires some effort.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000