Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 WotSQ: Extinction *spoilers*

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ywhtptgtfo Posted - 27 Jan 2004 : 05:57:01
Do you think Lolth will be destroyed? I sure hope she is not going to die, as she is the only interesting drow deity around. Plots about stupid mortals slaying malicious gods are also a bit old.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alaundo Posted - 19 Feb 2004 : 08:30:35
Well met

Hmmmmm, I found this scroll lying around in the wrong location...

quote:
Originally posted by Feiht

During the raid on Menzo, the duergar raise their dead to help in the fight. I had believed that other than humans, the other races were opposed to necromancy and defiling their dead. I know this is especially true of the elves, but do the dwarves differ in their feelings on this, or is it just the duergar?

The Sage Posted - 11 Feb 2004 : 13:04:59
Hmm...another 'Gotrex'. I suppose will be seeing 'Felix' around here shortly as well then...
Gotrex Posted - 11 Feb 2004 : 12:55:24
yeh as much as id like to see it i dont recon WotC will kill her

but i can see them reducing her to a lesser deity
SiriusBlack Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 13:21:31
quote:
Originally posted by Mutant for Hire

In some ways Drow culture has been too static. A single monoculture under Lolth's control through the priestesses. I think this is really going to shake things up. Cities and Houses are going to go in different directions, and we're going to have more Drow on the surface as well, mucking things up. Things are going to get more complicated going forward.

I definitely agree that the current Drow culture is static. I hope this series' resolution does provide something to really change things up a bit for the drow rather than simply having them recover from the ordeal with everything back to normal.

As I said at the start of the series, Lolth does not have to perish so much as simply lose some of her power and other drow gods gain some. A more balanced playing field would make things veddy interesting.

As it is, I still just do not see them killing off Lolth.
SiriusBlack Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 13:17:44
quote:
Originally posted by Daron

Didn't Gromph himself tell Triel that Lolth might have raised Quenthel from the dead for some sinister purpose? This alone makes me think that Lolth saw great potential in her, heck, she might even be EXPECTING her to make the ultimate backstab being the queen of treachery and all.

I definitley think Quenthel's return will somehow be connected to Lolth's return. However, I don't see Quenthel replacing Lolth so much as being a conduit somehow for the Spider Queen's return.
Daron Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 07:16:16
Suprised no one thought of this outcome. Suppose Lolth is going to be replaced? It happed to other gods in the Time of Troubles so its not above possibility. I can easily see Quenthel making some sort of deal with Halisstra to help her off Lolth and then elevating herself to godhood in Lolth's place.

Didn't Gromph himself tell Triel that Lolth might have raised Quenthel from the dead for some sinister purpose? This alone makes me think that Lolth saw great potential in her, heck, she might even be EXPECTING her to make the ultimate backstab being the queen of treachery and all.
Mutant for Hire Posted - 06 Feb 2004 : 08:37:12
I don't think Lolth will be destroyed. I do think that her attempt at greater power, however it's supposed to work, is not going to happen. My own gut feeling is that Lolth's fragmentation is never going to be undone.

Instead, somehow there will be a pantheon of Drow deities at the end of it. There might be something that is remiscent of the old Lolth, but she will be one of many powers out there. The reunification is going to be mucked up, and almost certainly by our intrepid crew crashing into the Abyss. For all we know they might yet end up as becoming part of the new Drow pantheon, those who survive.

The unity of the Drow under Lolth is going to be shattered. The matriarchy of the priestesses of Lolth is going to be shattered. I don't think the males are going to manage to take over. It's going to be a... well, chaotic time as both sides struggle to adjust under the new order of things.

In some ways Drow culture has been too static. A single monoculture under Lolth's control through the priestesses. I think this is really going to shake things up. Cities and Houses are going to go in different directions, and we're going to have more Drow on the surface as well, mucking things up. Things are going to get more complicated going forward.
Thenger Posted - 06 Feb 2004 : 05:02:52
Hello All,

Well this is my first post at Candlekeep, I am one of the people that came over once the WotC shut down their novel section.

So far WotSQ has been the best set of books I was graced to pick up that delt with the D&D area. If they somehow change the drow so drasticly that they will go back to the surface I am going to be so pissed.

Honestly I hope that when Lloth wakes up, comes back, or finishes her transfermation one of the first thing she does is kill Haalistra on the spot. All this Cresent Blade kill a goddess already is turning my stomach. Even better, if Lloth would take control of Ryld's body and make him kill Haalistra.

The reason I enjoy the drow as much as I do is because the way they are, if they change so much they will be just another "race" like everything else in the Forgeten Realms.

The worst part is they do change the drow it will be because of what RAS wants. So far ever book I read has been enjoyable, and it has brought me back into the whole D&D world after about 5 to 6 years from picking up a D&D novel or rule book.
Shadowlord Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 03:59:18
quote:
Originally posted by mother1219

Thanks Shadowlord, for the information on Nimor. I hadn't done any specific research on Chaulssin. I thought that might be the case about him. If I might ask, where did you get your information on Chaulssin?

Thanks

As for the 2 depth jokes...*whistles a little to break the creepy cricket chirping sounds coming from the audience who isn't laughing*

I've compiled my information from many different sources, and have made one long report out of it. I am whats known as "The Drow Fanatic" here in Candlekeep. I do have information I could send you, should you be interested.
mother1219 Posted - 30 Jan 2004 : 13:44:20
Thanks Shadowlord, for the information on Nimor. I hadn't done any specific research on Chaulssin. I thought that might be the case about him. If I might ask, where did you get your information on Chaulssin?

Thanks

As for the 2 depth jokes...*whistles a little to break the creepy cricket chirping sounds coming from the audience who isn't laughing*

Shadowlord Posted - 30 Jan 2004 : 01:26:37
//////////////SPOILER//////////////

Spoiler is hidden, and contains what Nimor is, and what happens to Gromph. Highlight the Area to find spoiler (Thanks for the Great Idea, Hymn)

Beginning of Spoiler.
Nimor is a half-dragon/half-drow. This point is easily inferred after researching Chaulssin, and after reading Condemnation. Gromph is now unburied, so he no longer has any "depth"
End of Spoiler.
Arion Elenim Posted - 29 Jan 2004 : 21:51:31
I think they gave Gromph all the "depth" he'll ever need....HE'S BURIED ALIVE MILES IN THE GROUND!!!!

(rimshot, boos)
mother1219 Posted - 29 Jan 2004 : 21:26:16
I think the titles of the last 2 (yet to come) books could easily be taken as a sign that Lolth will be destroyed...however...I don't think she will. Changed? Yes. Drastically? Yes. Dead and gone forever? Probably not.

Will large numbers of the drow flock to the surface as Haalistra predicts in Extinction? I think it would be neat, but I have my doubts.

Will males overthrow females and become dominant? Same answer as above. I mean, even Eillistraee's drow priestesses either 1) don't have a problem with Haalistra and Ryld, for that matter, still viewing Haalistra as at least slightly superior in their dynamic. (Several times in Extinction Ryld would "remember he was speaking to a female" or something similar, Haalistra would make it clear she thought this way. I think this dynamic will eventually even out into more of a partnership as we see it develop, but my point is that even now free of Lolth and Menzo, these two characters are still acting out that dynamic to at least some degree. And who can blame them at this point? It's been their way for their entire lives) or 2) the priestesses of Eillistraee agree with it and think drow females are superior to males.

Will drow society change, with some drow going to the surface and others staying underground but in a very different society? Probably. The exact terms of that new society? No clue, heh.

It seems that if they end this series with large portions of the drow coming to the surface, then we're going to start seeing more and more of them in every book. It really couldn't help but happen...we'll see more half-drows, too. They'll be enemies of towns, friends of towns, have towns of their own, etc. They'll spread (at least to some degree), as any race does. Given some things I've seen from WotC, it doesn't seem like they're preparing for the drow to be more commonplace on the surface, but I could be wrong. So, given that (if I am right), then I have simply no idea what will happen, heh.

WARNING: The below diatribe sort of got out of control and became a character-by-character review...not terribly pertinent, but once it was done, I figured I'd leave it in, heh.

Is Ryld a big hard*** and a character with oodles of potential? Definitely. Has the surface of that potential been more than slightly scratched yet? Nope...I'm hoping it is.

Is Valas also a big hard***, but with maybe less potential but fun as all get out? You betcha.

Danifae...*shrug* I have trouble caring what happens to her.

Quenthel...hrm...the insight that her whip is largely involved in her decision making was a great idea. However...still not much of a character. Her bumbling and overbearing nature gets a bit annoying at times. Again...can't care too much about her...yet. I see room for a little more potential.

Haalistra...too much focus on her, in my opinion. Good character, moves the story along nicely...still...a little less of her would be okay with me.

Pharaun...a very fun character, but I'm glad the focus has shifted from him a bit in the last couple of books. He's one of those characters that is always fun because he's clever, sarcastic, etc...but not a lot of real depth. That's not necessarily a bad thing at all, though.

Jeggred...*silence*. He's a total non-character, though not in an annoying way. Almost every book has at least one of these.

Triel...I've been surprised to see her develop just a bit here and there. As with Quenthel, I see a little room for further development, but am not too concerned about when or how it comes.

Gromph...hard***. Enjoy him lots. But, again, he's set up to be a bit two-dimensional, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They could flip that and give him a little more depth at any time, and I'd just cheer. Or they could leave him be, and I'd still enjoy him.

Nimor...hard***. Love him. Not much of a deep character, but sooo much fun and a great choice for that role to play out. Can't wait to find out what the heck he really is.

Those are the biggies, I think.

Okay, so this post was meant to be...umm...I don't remember. I know it didn't turn out to be very helpful, insightful or anything else, but eh...ya win some, ya lose some.

-M1219
ywhtptgtfo Posted - 28 Jan 2004 : 18:03:24
I am more interested to see Lolth being an actual threat to the Seldarine. Since the Crown Wars, the dark elves have yet to launch another bloody war against the surface elves (and an alliance with Daemon-fey elves perhaps?). I hope they elevate her to a greater power and finally lead some drows to fulfill her directives.
Shadowlord Posted - 27 Jan 2004 : 22:17:04
Who knows Sirius.... Wizards hasn't been adverse to other Realms-Shaking Events before...... This could be another one such event.
SiriusBlack Posted - 27 Jan 2004 : 13:22:11
quote:
Originally posted by ywhtptgtfo

Do you think Lolth will be destroyed?

No, I just don't see that taking place. Granted, it should be interesting how this series concludes and I'm not saying Lolth won't be "different" when she returns. But, perish....no, that will not be allowed to happen.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000