Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Road of the Patriarch - Why it named like this?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
m_hunter Posted - 15 Mar 2013 : 13:27:12
Well meet, Realms citizen

Any idea why the last sellsword book got this name?

Road of the Patriarch

Why use Patriarch here, what this refers to?

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BEAST Posted - 16 Mar 2013 : 03:48:45
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

BEAST, do you suppose Bob was using the title in reference to the patriarchy of the Catholic church? His Abellican Church from DemonWars felt like a fantasy take on the Catholic church; Yinochek's deeds mirrors some of the actual controversy within the Catholic church, which is very patriarchal.

I think the parallels are obvious, but Bob has been pretty careful not to actually say that about any of his Realms stories. I understand that he got into some big online arguments in the past frankly discussing his personal political views, but he seems to be very leery about that nowadays. He's a savvy businessman, and he wants to avoid stepping on too many toes. All the talk of him being a great guy to hang out with? There's more to that than just being jolly.

I've tried to goad him into talking religion, but he's steered clear of that with me, so far.
Entromancer Posted - 16 Mar 2013 : 02:00:59
BEAST, do you suppose Bob was using the title in reference to the patriarchy of the Catholic church? His Abellican Church from DemonWars felt like a fantasy take on the Catholic church; Yinochek's deeds mirrors some of the actual controversy within the Catholic church, which is very patriarchal.
m_hunter Posted - 15 Mar 2013 : 23:27:41
Thanks to both of u guys :)
Tanthalas Posted - 15 Mar 2013 : 20:49:15
I think BEAST has the right of it.
BEAST Posted - 15 Mar 2013 : 19:43:05
It isn't really clear. Fans tried to work this out over at the RAS Forums, but we never felt very confident about it.

Entreri's companion Calihye asks him at one point, what creates such a warrior as Entreri. He thinks back on all the abuse that he faced, growing up, at the hands of his foster father Belrigger. Entreri realizes that he is holding the magical flute of Idalia, gifted to him by Jarlaxle, as these thoughts swirl through his mind. And his answer to Calihye is simply, "Anger."

The novel has a lot to do with Entreri playing the magical flute of Idalia, which is supposed to reveal true beauty. In Entreri's case, it appears to have revealed the beauty of truth--and ironically, a rather ugly truth, at that.

The unfolding truth that the abusive Belrigger had not been his real father, and that his mother Shanali had been a prostitute, that the Memnonite priests of Selune had defiled her and then turned their backs on her, and that the Principal Cleric Yinochek had been his biological father, therefore rendering him guilty of neglect of Shanali and Entreri both, would appear to be the tale of how Artemis Entreri came to be the angry young man who would become the arch-assassin of Calimport.

The chief priest's, or "patriarch"'s, trespass and subsequent neglect lead Entreri down this entire sordid path or "road". Thus, the titular "Road of the Patriarch" would seem to be the path of the assassin's life. It is the road that the assassin's life took, triggered by the action and inaction of the patriarch.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000