Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 cold steel and secrets

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
swifty Posted - 01 Feb 2013 : 21:31:30
Is there any chance this will be released as one volume.Who does it benefit by releasing it in four parts exactly.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tanthalas Posted - 01 Feb 2013 : 21:58:49
Well, all parts of Cold Steel and Secrets are already out (the story finishes with the 4th part), and the full thing isn't anywhere near being the size of a full novel.

Looking at the books in my kindle application, the smallest novel I have is City of Ravens, and the 4 Cold Steel and Secrets novellas combined are still a bit smaller than half of City of Ravens.
Ayrik Posted - 01 Feb 2013 : 21:45:29
FR Wiki states this is a "standalone novel split into four parts". It appears each part (or at least part 1 of 4) is a separate novella. Of course FR Wiki is not always accurate or complete.

This seems like some kind of market experiment to me, I would guess subsequent parts will be released on a schedule determined by the market response to previous parts ... which is another way of saying that if the first parts don't sell then perhaps the author will not be commissioned to finish writing following parts, or that perhaps the next part will not become available until a given number of copies are sold. Maybe the idea is just to break the novel down into smaller chunks for easy digestion, or maybe the whole thing is an attempt to track piracy trends, I dunno. I'm just guessing.

Perhaps if you're willing to wait it out, the entire 4/4 novel will be released at a later date. I notice the $2 price tag makes each part more accessible while total cost is a slightly more than a complete novel.

The author will have better answers, Rosemary Jones website, Rosemary Jones email, Rosemary Jones Myspace page

[Edit]
... or you could ask in our Questions for Rosemary Jones scroll.
swifty Posted - 01 Feb 2013 : 21:44:44
Precicely what I thought.they did it back in the 90s with the double diamond series.I didn't buy that on principle and I won't be buying this.
Tanthalas Posted - 01 Feb 2013 : 21:37:10
I imagine it benefits WotC since the 4 parts combined have less content than a full-blown novel while costing more.

I liked the story and I'm a real fan of Rosemary Jones' work in the Forgotten Realms, but this release model sucks for the buyer.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000