Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 richard lee byers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
swifty Posted - 23 Jan 2013 : 09:34:31
I'm about to dive into the haunted lands trilogy but just wanted a bit of reassurance because what I've read of byers in the past I haven't liked that much.is it different in style to year of rogue dragons as I found that a hell of a drag to get through.thanks in advance.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 04 Mar 2013 : 16:45:34

For me, not better, but as good as. The plots are totally different, and the villains. The only thing that (loosely) connects them is the Brotherhood.
strafer Posted - 04 Mar 2013 : 16:01:12
I started reading the Dragon trilogy but quit a couple chapters into the first book. A friend recommended HLT and I really enjoyed it. The dialogue and plot twists were very well done.

I haven't read BOTG yet. Is the consensus that it's better than HLT?
Dennis Posted - 19 Feb 2013 : 00:48:58
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

It finally arrived!

EDIT: Major typo on page two. >_>

Luckily its the text from the spoiler page so you won't miss anything.
Yeah. "343, 344 said." Though I didn't really mind as it's on the sample page of the book and the sample chapter at WotC website. I also caught some missing punctuation marks; just minor, I know.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 18 Feb 2013 : 23:12:34
I don't know how that printing error slipped in. It wasn't there the last time I went over the file before the book went to press. Ah, the mysterious things that happen during the publishing process!
Tanthalas Posted - 18 Feb 2013 : 19:04:40
It finally arrived!

EDIT: Major typo on page two. >_>

Luckily its the text from the spoiler page so you won't miss anything.
Dennis Posted - 17 Feb 2013 : 05:56:39

Which, Richard, if you ask me, is a good thing. Rules are fine, but they may sometimes limit not only your characters but your plot as well.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 16 Feb 2013 : 23:19:39
Elsenrall and everyone, thanks for the kind words.

It would be interesting to see the stats for Aoth and the gang written up. Maybe someone will do it once D&D Next is complete.

It might be a little tricky, though, in that I haven't been absolutely obsessive about making sure that the characters never do anything that isn't covered by the rules. My experience as a FR novelist has been that once you have the game system changed out from under your series a couple times, you become a little less OCD about accurately reflecting the current iteration.
ile Posted - 16 Feb 2013 : 21:45:03
Well i guess now we can safely conclude,that Aoth and his company with each passing day,are becoming more and more popular.
Elsenrail Posted - 16 Feb 2013 : 21:04:05
I've just finished "Prophet of the Dead". Great book, just like the rest in the series.

Good to hear from you, Mr Byers, that there will be other books about the Brotherhood in the future. I've grown used to these characters. Frankly, I have a little hope that, smilar to FRCS 3e, in the FRCS 5e there would be mention of Aoth and his comrades, perhpas even a statblock or something like that, just like in good 3rd edition times.
Dennis Posted - 16 Feb 2013 : 13:36:22

Oh, I thought getting your own before its official release date is a constant perks of being an author.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 16 Feb 2013 : 05:31:50
Sometimes I do receive them early. There's no predicting which way it'll go.
Dennis Posted - 16 Feb 2013 : 00:41:34
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Me, too! (Sometimes author copies aren't sent until significantly after the release date.)
I thought you're supposed to have it way, way before the release date.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 15 Feb 2013 : 23:08:11
Me, too! (Sometimes author copies aren't sent until significantly after the release date.)
Tanthalas Posted - 15 Feb 2013 : 21:19:54
I'm waiting for the book to arrive.
Dennis Posted - 15 Feb 2013 : 16:24:43

Agreed, Aulduron! I thoroughly enjoyed Prophet of the Dead.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 15 Feb 2013 : 05:35:03
Glad you liked Prophet of the Dead, Aulduron. I know what you mean about finding FR books in bookstores. Heck, in my part of the world, it's not that easy even to find the bookstores anymore.
Aulduron Posted - 14 Feb 2013 : 22:18:30
Glad to hear it. I just finished your latest book, and you have great characters. New FR books have been hard to find in print. Almost has hard as finding a store that sells them.
Merrith Posted - 12 Feb 2013 : 03:26:13
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Plans for The Sundering led to Wizards asking me to wrap up the Brotherhood's Rashemen adventure in two books instead of three.

But that doesn't mean this is the end of the Brotherhood. I have many more stories to tell about them, and my editor tells me that we will get back to them in time.

Makes sense in that light, great news though that we haven't heard the last from the Brotherhood. Appreciate the response Richard :) thanks much
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 11 Feb 2013 : 21:33:40
Plans for The Sundering led to Wizards asking me to wrap up the Brotherhood's Rashemen adventure in two books instead of three.

But that doesn't mean this is the end of the Brotherhood. I have many more stories to tell about them, and my editor tells me that we will get back to them in time.
Merrith Posted - 11 Feb 2013 : 21:12:16
Had a question, b/c I was under the impression the Brotherhood of the Griffon was getting 2 full trilogies (3 books down in Chessenta and 3 up in Rashemen...but reading the back cover of Prophet of the Dead claims this is to be the final installment. Can't wait to read it but have really grown to like these characters and would be sad if this is their final appearance.
Merrith Posted - 02 Feb 2013 : 08:05:27
I liked both trilogies, and like the Brotherhood of the Griffin series even more. The fact that BotG uses lore from both of the trilogies just made it very worth it for me having read them all. I wouldn't say any of the characters from Rogue Dragons stuck with me as much as THL (and later BotG), but the overall greater storyline behind it was worth it.
Dennis Posted - 31 Jan 2013 : 13:52:35

'Tis amazing how people like the same thing, but like it for very different reasons. I found Bareris and Tammith's (tragic) romance more of an unwanted distraction.
Entromancer Posted - 31 Jan 2013 : 04:02:52
The Haunted Lands and Year of Rogue Dragons are really night and day. You can easily see Richard's growth as a writer. I particularly enjoyed The Haunted Lands, especially Bareris and Tammith's romance.
Dennis Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 11:09:05

The first and second books have tons of intrigue. Book 3, not so much.
swifty Posted - 25 Jan 2013 : 13:40:05
Thanks for all the responce.I'm definitely more of an intrigue fan than an all out action book.that's why I loved the pirate king so much.
phranctoast Posted - 24 Jan 2013 : 13:03:01
I've enjoyed Year of the Rogue dragons slightly less than the Haunted Lands, but much more than the Brotherhood of the Griffin series. It might have something to do with me reading the others non stop when they were already completed yet been reading BOTG as they release.
Dennis Posted - 24 Jan 2013 : 10:51:05

I have two primary problems with The Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy. One is the main protagonist: Dorn. I never got to like him, and it's not just because he's no magic-user (Some of my favorite characters in and outside the Realms are thieves and assassins who can't even cast a basic cantrip). The other is the involvement of so many dragons. Okay, maybe that's kinda out of the line---the name of the series should have warmed me already of this. But then, I never expected...And Sammaster and Iyraclea should have been given more face time; and it irked me a little that one of the powerful beings (one whom Ed mentioned rivals even Larloch) got killed, and not even by Sammaster himself. Still, all things considered, the good from the whole series outweighed the bad.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Jan 2013 : 05:35:07
I enjoyed the Rogue Dragons trilogy, myself. While I did have some issues with it here and there, I think it was one of the better trilogies of the 3.x era. I'd certainly recommend those books long before I'd recommend some of the more popular series from the same era.
LastStand Posted - 24 Jan 2013 : 04:53:51
I was not fond of the Year of the Rogue Dragons trilogy either, but I really like the Haunted lands and Brotherhood of the Griffon novels.
If someone would ask me what to read from the newer novels I'd say: anything by Paul, Erin and Richard.
Hope that helps.
skychrome Posted - 24 Jan 2013 : 02:33:09
Hi Swifty, from what we have posted on the novel section so far, I feel we have quite a similar taste on FR novels.

Rogue Dragons was a drag for you? For me too. Had a lot of potential, but in the end too much what I call "macro/epic" writing and too little space for more "micro/atmosphere".

Now, "Haunted Lands" was much better from my point of view, with decreasing quality from book 1 to 3. Book 1 was awesome, lots of very smart intrigue, books 2 had more fighting and less intrigue and book 3 was still good, so overall a really good trilogy.
I really recommend to check it out.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000