Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 "Realms Remembered"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Artemas Entreri Posted - 16 Jul 2012 : 17:55:47
Has anyone else checked out the "Realms Remembered" book review videos on Youtube? Pretty entertaining if you would like a quick review of Realms novels. The narrator is reading all of the Forgotten Realms novels in chronological (Dale Reckoning) order and offering up reviews as he progresses. I think there are currently 26 videos posted.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
zenmichael Posted - 05 Jun 2014 : 19:41:26
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
It is my opinion that a lot of the "classic" literature we are forced to read in school isn't really all that great, and it's only considered classic because generations of students have been told it is. I'm also convinced that reading that stuff turns off a lot of potential readers -- if someone who enjoys reading thinks it's boring, what is someone who doesn't read for pleasure going to think?

I wholeheartedly agree. My nephew years ago told me he didn't like to read. I asked him what sort of stuff he was reading, and he said just stuff in school. I asked what sort of stuff interested him, and he said he liked mythological creatures. So (this was years ago) I got him some of those old thin books that came out when D&D 3.0 first came out - The Death Ray, The ... Something ... Eye? Anyone remember those, by T.H. Lain? I figured a younger-age-group D&D book w/monsters in it would be right up his alley. (He was like 8-10 at the time.) He really enjoyed them. He read them slowly, because reading has never been his TOP priority, but when he DID read he looked forward to it & liked it. He's now 14 & reading the Percy Jackson stuff & digging it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Jun 2014 : 19:32:08
quote:
Originally posted by zenmichael

quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151
But, ya know what? At the end of the day, props to you, Zen, for being courageous enough to say that The Great Gatsby is not a good book! I feel like I've been alone on this for YEARS! Haha

What's weird is I've spoken to dozens of people about this over the years, almost all of them avid readers, and I've yet to find anyone who has responded with anything stronger than, 'Eh, it was OK.' I really don't get why GG is regarded as a great book. Like, there are some classics that I've had to struggle through, but I get at the end why they're "important," but GG? SMH, as the kids these days say.

It is my opinion that a lot of the "classic" literature we are forced to read in school isn't really all that great, and it's only considered classic because generations of students have been told it is. I'm also convinced that reading that stuff turns off a lot of potential readers -- if someone who enjoys reading thinks it's boring, what is someone who doesn't read for pleasure going to think?
zenmichael Posted - 05 Jun 2014 : 16:09:40
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151
But, ya know what? At the end of the day, props to you, Zen, for being courageous enough to say that The Great Gatsby is not a good book! I feel like I've been alone on this for YEARS! Haha

What's weird is I've spoken to dozens of people about this over the years, almost all of them avid readers, and I've yet to find anyone who has responded with anything stronger than, 'Eh, it was OK.' I really don't get why GG is regarded as a great book. Like, there are some classics that I've had to struggle through, but I get at the end why they're "important," but GG? SMH, as the kids these days say.
Neo2151 Posted - 05 Jun 2014 : 10:57:23
I gotta say, I haven't agreed with every review, but he's been pretty spot on IMO.
Now, I've only been through a few episodes so far, so take that with a grain of salt!

But then, it's been years since I was reading The Realms on a regular basis, and I fully acknowledge that my tastes have shifted very largely (for example, when Dissolution had first come out, it quickly became one of my favorite Realms stories. I tried to re-read it a year or so ago, remembering all the good times, and I seriously struggled with it, eventually just putting it back on the shelf after about 100 pages. )

[Edit - For what it's worth? I really enjoy Salvatore as an "action/adventure" author, but he's abso-freakin'-lutely right about Menzo! There is no way that city survives (let alone thrives!) without some seriously heavy-handed author fiat. ]
zenmichael Posted - 04 Jun 2014 : 23:40:10
Man, I hate that dude, too!

In any case, a new set of 5 is in the process of going up RIGHT NOW (3 out so far), and I totally blanked on posting a link to my first fantasy audio book here.

http://www.amazon.com/Road-of-Thorns/dp/B00I8U03P6/ref=sr_1_1_title_2_audd?ie=UTF8&qid=1401921436&sr=8-1&keywords=road+of+thorns

I have 6 (7 any day now ...) audio books out so far. If you are lulled to sleep by my reviews ... well, maybe you don't want to listen to the audio books. But if you totally follow along & are jazzed, it might be worth your while.

Again, the link to the channel is my sig. In this block, I've gone through House of Serpents and (OMG FINALLY) The Twilight War! Also, next week, I've actually turned semi-pro and INTERVIEWED AN AUTHOR. I'll keep trying for more of those.
shorac Posted - 10 Feb 2014 : 23:48:40
I cant stand that guy he doesnt seem like a fan at all more like a hater most of the time.. yeah some realms books are better than others but i have yet to read one that i havent enjoyed for some reason or other..
Artemas Entreri Posted - 29 Jan 2014 : 23:21:44
Yep, we always seem to have the same views on Realms books.
swifty Posted - 29 Jan 2014 : 19:51:37
quote:

I hope no one minds me pimping the channel out a bit; it's been over a year since I last mentioned it. The new format is to come out with 5 at a time, once a week, when I have five ready to go. Number 40 is going up tomorrow, rounding out another set. I'm just starting on The Last Mythal trilogy at this point (also in the midst of House of Serpents, and have now read my first book by Mr. de Bie!). Always curious to hear new feedback. The link is in my sig.

Also my mild-mannered customer service manager by day persona has now added actual audio book narrator by night to it. I currently have two books out on Audible/Amazon/iTunes, and have four more in various stages of finished-ness. One of the eventual goals is to do audio book versions of the Realms, so we'll see if that happens by, ohhh, 2020 ; ) I'd post links out of sheer pride & joy, but I feel like I'm already doing too much sales pitch-ing here. I'll definitely post a link once my first official audio book for a fantasy book is out.

great news Michael.your vids are always entertaining
zenmichael Posted - 07 Jan 2014 : 22:36:12
I hope no one minds me pimping the channel out a bit; it's been over a year since I last mentioned it. The new format is to come out with 5 at a time, once a week, when I have five ready to go. Number 40 is going up tomorrow, rounding out another set. I'm just starting on The Last Mythal trilogy at this point (also in the midst of House of Serpents, and have now read my first book by Mr. de Bie!). Always curious to hear new feedback. The link is in my sig.

Also my mild-mannered customer service manager by day persona has now added actual audio book narrator by night to it. I currently have two books out on Audible/Amazon/iTunes, and have four more in various stages of finished-ness. One of the eventual goals is to do audio book versions of the Realms, so we'll see if that happens by, ohhh, 2020 ; ) I'd post links out of sheer pride & joy, but I feel like I'm already doing too much sales pitch-ing here. I'll definitely post a link once my first official audio book for a fantasy book is out.
zenmichael Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 04:33:53
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Zen, even if Mr Byers' earlier Realms novels don't appeal to you (I had trouble with the Year of Rogue Dragons), give The Haunted Lands a shot. I was wary of the series, given how hard it was for me to get through Dragons. However, his writting style really grows between the two series.

Oh, yeah, I always give a new series a shot, even if I didn't like the author on previous stuff. I've been pleasantly surprised along the way. And though I didn't care for Haunted Lands when I first tried it years ago, and I didn't really care for RLB's story in "Realms of the Elves," I HAVE enjoyed his stories in both "Realms of War" & "Realms of Shadow," and I just finished the utterly enjoyable story of his from "Halls of Stormweather." So I'm excited to try out more of his stuff.
Caolin Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 03:29:16
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

quote:

As requested, here is a link for Episode 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw6M_2FPBSM

Thanks for the link btw. :)

OK, so I watched the first video introducing the series. You start off by trashing a bunch of novels that I really enjoyed and seemingly without giving them a full read. I'm not sure I can take any of your other reviews seriously after that. But I'll give a few of them a watch and see how it goes.

Just to clarify: I am not the one reviewing the books

Yeah, I caught on that it was Zen. :D
Artemas Entreri Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 01:20:46
quote:

And I know what you mean about "proceed with caution." I actually liked Crystal Shard when I read it as a 12-year-old, but ... not so much when doing this read-through. It was frustrating to have that good memory ruined.

Never underestimate the power of Nostalgia. I too got into reading Realms books when I was a young teenager, and the same books I adored then probably wouldn't interest me today (20 years later). That being said, Realms books are still fun to read if you are looking for a quick and fun adventure. (4E not included of course )
Entromancer Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 01:19:39
Zen, even if Mr Byers' earlier Realms novels don't appeal to you (I had trouble with the Year of Rogue Dragons), give The Haunted Lands a shot. I was wary of the series, given how hard it was for me to get through Dragons. However, his writting style really grows between the two series.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 01:16:11
quote:

quote:

quote:

As requested, here is a link for Episode 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw6M_2FPBSM

OK, so I watched the first video introducing the series. You start off by trashing a bunch of novels that I really enjoyed and seemingly without giving them a full read. I'm not sure I can take any of your other reviews seriously after that. But I'll give a few of them a watch and see how it goes.

Just to clarify: I am not the one reviewing the books
zenmichael Posted - 21 Aug 2012 : 00:07:17
I kind of wish I could replace a video on YouTube rather than having to put in an ENTIRELY NEW LINK & all that. I really wish my episode 2 could be my episode 1, as I think the intro I give there really helps kind of concretize how I am approaching the reviews. I'm glad you at least tried #2 : )

Elaine makes a great point. I think it was Roger Ebert who once said one of the best ways to read movie reviews is to find someone you ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE WITH on EVERYTHING. You'll always know what to go see because they'll say 'don't go see this.' I'm almost certain I have at least a few subscribers who check out my stuff for this reason. 'Oh, he hated X? I'll have to check it out.'

And, of course, I'm not trying to piss anyone off. We all love the Realms (I hope!), but one of the things about the world being SO huge is that people will get into it for different reasons & care about it for different reasons.

And I know what you mean about "proceed with caution." I actually liked Crystal Shard when I read it as a 12-year-old, but ... not so much when doing this read-through. It was frustrating to have that good memory ruined.
Caolin Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 22:04:04
Oh one other note. The reviewer makes me realize that a lot of the early novels I read when I was a kid and I should probably reread them as an adult. Although I am a little afraid to do that because I don't want to ruin my memories of that time. I'll have to proceed with caution. :D
Caolin Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 21:50:29
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

Just as no novel will appeal to every reviewer, no review will resonate with every reader.

That said, I admire your measured response and your willingness to keep an open mind. This is refreshing and appreciated. It's also the sort of attitude that makes Candlekeep an island of civility.

Thanks Elaine, I am a firm believer in the "do unto others" ethos.

As for the book reviews, after watching a few I think I narrowed down what exactly where I disagree with the reviewer. He seems to take a strong real world logic point of view to the novels. Everything has to make sense for him to be able to get into the novels. I have always felt with fantasy novels you have to suspend your disbelief a good bit to truly enjoy the novel. If you are trying to apply real world logic for every event in the book you will most likely be disappointed in at least half the novels you read.

Of course this is just my opinion and I applaud his efforts. I think I will continue to watch the videos just to see a different perspective on the novels.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 21:04:48
quote:

Just as no novel will appeal to every reviewer, no review will resonate with every reader.

That said, I admire your measured response and your willingness to keep an open mind. This is refreshing and appreciated. It's also the sort of attitude that makes Candlekeep an island of civility.
Caolin Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 19:09:52
quote:

quote:

Caolin Posted - 20 Aug 2012 : 18:20:48
quote:

Yoss Posted - 19 Aug 2012 : 23:50:32
Story-wise, narrative-wise I do think the Cale trilogy was much stronger writing. The number of first person-like thoughts Cale has throughout a third person narrative, and the way those were done comes to mind as a slightly off idiosyncrasy that was dropped for all the other books featuring that character. I kind of liked it, and didn't have any problem with that style as a characterization tool, but there was something that sometimes felt a little off about it to me. However, I absolutely loved the way kemp depicted the setting. Selgaunt was just as much a character in that novel as Cale and Riven and Jak. Not being a d&d gamer, and having very little artwork or text book-like descriptions from sourcebooks to cloud my perceptions of the sights, sounds, and smells of the city, and that being the first full novel of the series it was going to form my first impression of the city in any manner (since it was technically the first book, not counting the novella compilation that was the first book, I read set in any part of Sembia), I thought Kemp painted the perfect picture of quite, rather deserted, snow-covered late winter night with evil stuff lurking in a basement. It probably didn't take much imagination from me, since I read the book at night in the New England winter, but probably my favorite part of the entire novel was the feeling the bits about the city itself managed to convey. I felt that it meshed very, very well with the plot line.

Yeah, I disliked Tazi probably the most out of the Uskevern clan, and it just sort of dragged for me. I know nothing of the author, though. I liked Gross' contributions, those two plus Kemp were the highlights in my opinion.

But anwyay, I am clearly going way off topic here. Over to YouTube I go.
zenmichael Posted - 19 Aug 2012 : 18:05:59
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

quote:

I started this project I'd read Shadow's Witness & the first of the Cale books -- Midnight's Mask?);

ER...fixed for ya.

And so-cAlled "first novel-itis" be damned, I liked shadow's witness. Actually, I just really enjoyed the entire Sembia series, some of the books more than others (well, probably the only one I didn't really dig was the Tazi one). But lately while reading some of the Harper's ones I have been less than a fan of, I've been feeling quite compelled to re-read most of those novels.

There, I changed it myself. Whoops! The perils of posting at 2 AM.

As I say in my review, my ONLY real problem w/Shadow's Witness is that I read it AFTER Twilight Falling. I think TF is a way more refined version of, in many ways, the same novel. which i wouldn't have minded had i read them in order.

So let's see ... a quick search says "Sands of the Soul" is the Tazi book? hm. curious to try veronica w-r, but i know nothing about her. i'm looking forward to dave gross's, since i really dig the stuff he's written for pathfinder. back to female FR authors: anybody know if jessica beaven ever did anything but the short story in "realms of shadow"? i thought that story was incredible.
Yoss Posted - 19 Aug 2012 : 12:54:51
quote:

I started this project I'd read Shadow's Witness & the first of the Cale books -- Midnight's Mask?);

ER...fixed for ya.

And so-cAlled "first novel-itis" be damned, I liked shadow's witness. Actually, I just really enjoyed the entire Sembia series, some of the books more than others (well, probably the only one I didn't really dig was the Tazi one). But lately while reading some of the Harper's ones I have been less than a fan of, I've been feeling quite compelled to re-read most of those novels.
zenmichael Posted - 19 Aug 2012 : 09:06:18
Glad to see you guys are enjoying it, somewhat ;) I've had the link to the channel as my sig on here, and commented here & there on things, but I haven't pushed hard to pimp out the channel because I didn't want people to think I was just on the forum for that reason alone.

I've been taking a break because I finished (kind of) 2E up, wanted a breather before starting 3E. I'm currently over halfway through "Return of the Archwizards" and plan to start it all back up pretty soon.

And if anyone's curious, Paul Kemp is pretty much the reason I started giving a damn about the Realms, so I'm pretty excited to get to the Shadow War stuff (before I started this project I'd read Shadow's Witness & the first of the Erevis books -- Midnight's Mask?); Haunted Lands I tried & didn't care for when I tried reading it years ago, but now that I've got the history going into it, I'm excited to give it another shot.

And, yeah, I suppose it's a bit of a cop out to not fully read EVERY SINGLE BOOK, but seriously, if you don't like a book after 30 pages ... what can you say about it? And I always ask for others' opinions & encourage others to leave a response, etc. So I try to be fair in that sense. I've been really curious to see what people on here think of things, since most on here "gets" the larger world in a way I still feel like I don't. (I own both the 3E & 4E sourcebooks, but DAMN they're big ...)
LastStand Posted - 19 Jul 2012 : 15:15:49
Watched a few more. I think I'm up to ep10, or there about. He actually do like novels. Some good stuff said about the Finderstone novels which seems to be the consensus among most FR readers (I really need to read these)
Had a few chuckles from the comments on some of the Drizzt stuff.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 19 Jul 2012 : 14:09:54
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

Heard a couple of episodes. Fairly entertaining stuff to be honest, although i dont agree with him on some of his views, i found it..fun

I agree. His reviews aren't really concrete dissections of the novels, just entertaining blurbs.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 19 Jul 2012 : 14:07:46
quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

Watched the first 3 so far. The narration is okay, and it's nice to hear his opinions on some of the stuff. Some stuff I completely agree with and others not so much.
Just curious: does he actually ever find any of the books to be 'great'. So far its all been pretty negative... If he says he doesn't like the Twilight War novels or Haunted Land novels then...

Yes he does enjoy many of the Realms novels. Some that I remember are Elfsong, The Watercourse Trilogy, and Servant of the Shard
Artemas Entreri Posted - 19 Jul 2012 : 14:06:00
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

If he's going in chronological order and not skipping any novels, it'll be a while before anyone finds out what he thinks of The Twilight War or The Haunted Land.

I believe he had just started the 3E novels in his latest video.
Elfinblade Posted - 19 Jul 2012 : 07:48:34
Heard a couple of episodes. Fairly entertaining stuff to be honest, although i dont agree with him on some of his views, i found it..fun
Dennis Posted - 19 Jul 2012 : 07:25:27

Will check it out when I have more...time. Thanks, entreri.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000